CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
gamecockgal
NinjaSven
Rebel4ever
BlakelyH19
roosterdude21
Carolina-Beez
kevhugh
Cockyteg
eatlighting
Lankey62
**USC vs. Vanderbilt (32604)
Gameday in Columbia (1711)
ECU is a good team (1403)
Why we'll dominate C (1186)
Alabama vs Florida. (1004)
ECU is a good team (974)
Lammons out (955)
Is it possible for o (899)
Spurrier not happy s (856)
Spurrier was Embaras (854)
More David Williams Pleas
2015 Commitment - Mon Den
Is it possible for our Sp
Spurrier not happy so why
Spurrier was Embarassed
how could we put up that
Cal-Arizona game, WOW!!!
Where was Wilds late in t
Ducks-Wash St
ECU

Old 06-26-2014, 04:53 PM   #1
vthokies
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
vthokies is sharpening his clawsvthokies is sharpening his clawsvthokies is sharpening his clawsvthokies is sharpening his clawsvthokies is sharpening his claws
Default Can someone fill me in on these things

Im trying to better understand the history of SC since I will be moving there soon.

Do people call it USC or SC?

USC and SC are both trade marked by Southern California. I get confused often when people are talking football and say USC. I've heard USC-e and USC-jr. I think just saying South Carolina will be best?..

When singing the alma mater (i think), everyone puts up their thumb and pinky like "surfs up". What does that stand for/meaning behind it? Columbia isn't at the beach so I thought I would ask here.

Thank you in advanced!
vthokies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 04:59 PM   #2
Sir Cuss
Blue Chip

Female

Sir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot material
Default Re: Can someone fill me in on these things

Trolololololo

Sir Cuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 05:00 PM   #3
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by vthokies View Post
Im trying to better understand the history of SC since I will be moving there soon.

USC and SC are both trade marked by Southern California. I get confused often when people are talking football and say USC. I've heard USC-e and USC-jr. I think just saying South Carolina will be best?..

When singing the alma mater (i think), everyone puts up their thumb and pinky like "surfs up". What does that stand for/meaning behind it? Columbia isn't at the beach so I thought I would ask here.

Thank you in advanced!

We are the original USC .... We had a University in SC before California was
a State in the union. However, our university didn't have the foresight (didn't
think it necessary I guess) to register or trademark the "USC" or SC either.
So Cal did and so OFFICIALLY, USC is most often used to refer to SoCal.
South Carolina is either Carolina (In This state) vs North Carolina
or simply South Carolina.

The arm raised at the end of the Alma Mata is actually to represent Holding
a Glass / Challis. The last line of the AM is "Here's a Health Carolina, Forever
to Thee
". Health being Toast (to your health) , as the hand is raised.
Old 06-26-2014, 05:03 PM   #4
vthokies
4-Star

Male

vthokies is sharpening his clawsvthokies is sharpening his clawsvthokies is sharpening his clawsvthokies is sharpening his clawsvthokies is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
We are the original USC .... We had a University in SC before California was
a State in the union. However, our university didn't have the foresight (didn't
think it necessary I guess) to register or trademark the "USC" or SC either.
So Cal did and so OFFICIALLY, USC is most often used to refer to SoCal.
South Carolina is either Carolina (In This state) vs North Carolina
or simply South Carolina.

The arm raised at the end of the Alma Mata is actually to represent Holding
a Glass / Challis. The last line of the AM is Here's a Health Carolina, Forever
to Thee. Health being Toast, as the hand is raised.
Thank you! I have seen a lot of hashtags of Forever To Thee so now I understand. Thanks!
Old 06-26-2014, 05:03 PM   #5
vthokies
4-Star

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Cuss View Post
Trolololololo
Why?
Old 06-26-2014, 05:15 PM   #6
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 4466416
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

also you are mistaken the spurs up hand thing and the raising a toast. Our fans do in fact do the thumb and pinky but that is not at the Alma Mater which is holding a toast
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 05:18 PM   #7
ktguen
2nd Team All-American

Female

CockyCash: 1000400
ktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot material

Like they said, the alma mater toast is cupped like you're holding a glass. We do use the thumb and pink hand symbol too but it's supposed to represent a spur.
ktguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 05:38 PM   #8
Metalrush24
Pro aris et focis

Male

CockyCash: 27359704
Metalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by vthokies View Post

Thank you in advanced!
Old 06-26-2014, 05:45 PM   #9
Take-a-Knee
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 10000
Take-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot material

What is a hokie ?
Take-a-Knee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 05:48 PM   #10
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

CockyCash: 200
gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take-a-Knee View Post
What is a hokie ?

gamecock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:10 PM   #11
Thenardier
Banned

Male

Thenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot material

What drives me nuts is "Carolina". In 49 states that refers to UNC, but in SC it's USC and they get angry when you refer to UNC as Carolina.
Thenardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:22 PM   #12
markp_vip
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 6001866
markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenardier View Post
What drives me nuts is "Carolina". In 49 states that refers to UNC, but in SC it's USC and they get angry when you refer to UNC as Carolina.
If you love the tarholes so much feel free to spend your time on their message board.
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day.
markp_vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:22 PM   #13
Take-a-Knee
Game MVP

Male

Take-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot material

We carry the name of this state , kinda like Alabama carries the name of their state
Old 06-26-2014, 06:22 PM   #14
markp_vip
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 6001866
markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material

Quote:
What is a hokie ?
nm
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day.
markp_vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:28 PM   #15
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

tater

Order Of The Spur
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:29 PM   #16
Thenardier
Banned

Male

Thenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot material

Quote:
We carry the name of this state , kinda like Alabama carries the name of their state
Well, so does UNC and they've been around longer.
Thenardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:35 PM   #17
Take-a-Knee
Game MVP

Male

Sorry , I don't recognize UNC , I'm From the 2%
Old 06-26-2014, 07:05 PM   #18
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Quote:
Well, so does UNC and they've been around longer.
By what? 5 years?

We were a state first. We carved off the undesirables and the pig-farmers have been sore about it ever since.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:05 PM   #19
Metalrush24
Pro aris et focis

Male

CockyCash: 27359704
Metalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot material

Quote:
We are South Carolina. When have we cared what the other 49 was doing?
Old 06-26-2014, 08:03 PM   #20
TheMule
Br Ba

Male

CockyCash: 1000200
TheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to TheMule

Quote:

Where do you live?

gt
Here's to you, Feisty and Spurd&Fthrd.
TheMule is offline   Reply With Quote