CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
robgusc76
B-G
Big Spur
SMOTFS86
Spurticus
kingofnerf
rabid cock
doubledribble
Sandstorm29
**USC vs. Coker GAME (3361)
2014 Subway Classic: (1646)
aTm demolishes Kyle (753)
Cocky at the Duck Co (732)
Ali Hospitalized Wit (651)
Really, REALLY glad (597)
Deer Hunting 2014 (387)
movers, furniture do (322)
Connor to be backup? (293)
Happy Winter Solstic (292)
Greatest Gamecock Players
Connor to be backup?
**USC vs. Coker GAME Thre
The Vent and Coaching cha
QB Next Season?
2014 Subway Classic:**USC
official UFC thread. (new

Old 06-27-2014, 05:57 AM   #1
TerryP
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
TerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervous
Default Most important game for UofSC in 2014?

In their continuing off-season articles on the SEC, ESPN has been listing what they consider to be the most important games for each team for the 2014 season.

They've covered a few teams so far. They've listed UT's most important game as Mizzou, Vandy's as Ole Miss, and A&M's versus the Gamecocks.

Thursday afternoon they released their thoughts on which game is the most important for South Carolina; Florida on Nov. 15th.

In the last part of that write-up one sentence caught my attention, "Chances are the winner from the East won't have less than two losses heading into the last couple of weeks of the season." This is an opinion I'm inclined to believe. However, it also gives me reason to also believe the Florida game isn't the most important.

Assuming they are correct and every team in the SEC east has two losses, wouldn't that make the game against Auburn most important? In the SEC tie-breaker rules a loss to a cross-divisional opponent carries more weight.

The only thing I can come up with supporting their opinion is they're also anticipating UF with a loss to a western division team. BUT, they don't say that (and haven't released UF's most important game.)

In your SEC schedule, which team do you consider to be the most important opponent for 2014?
TerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 06:12 AM   #2
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

CockyCash: 1000995751
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Most important game for UofSC in 2014?

You mean either USC or South Carolina. This UofSC shit don't fly with us bammer.
Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.
Gamecocks1137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 06:50 AM   #3
TerryP
4-Star

Male

TerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 View Post
You mean either USC or South Carolina. This UofSC shit don't fly with us bammer.
Please.

You're far too thin-skinned if you consider that to be an insult or derogatory remark. I don't participate in pedeomorphic behavior on any forums.
TerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 07:41 AM   #4
Roosterdog
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Roosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot material

I think our most important game of the year is Georgia. That Georgia game is usually a good barometer for what type of year we will have.
Roosterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 08:10 AM   #5
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryP View Post
I don't participate in pedeomorphic behavior on any forums.
So you're not a Penn State fan...
Old 06-27-2014, 08:15 AM   #6
Legalman72
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 19222586
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material

Quote:
In their continuing off-season articles on the SEC, ESPN has been listing what they consider to be the most important games for each team for the 2014 season.

They've covered a few teams so far. They've listed UT's most important game as Mizzou, Vandy's as Ole Miss, and A&M's versus the Gamecocks.

Thursday afternoon they released their thoughts on which game is the most important for South Carolina; Florida on Nov. 15th.

In the last part of that write-up one sentence caught my attention, "Chances are the winner from the East won't have less than two losses heading into the last couple of weeks of the season." This is an opinion I'm inclined to believe. However, it also gives me reason to also believe the Florida game isn't the most important.

Assuming they are correct and every team in the SEC east has two losses, wouldn't that make the game against Auburn most important? In the SEC tie-breaker rules a loss to a cross-divisional opponent carries more weight.

The only thing I can come up with supporting their opinion is they're also anticipating UF with a loss to a western division team. BUT, they don't say that (and haven't released UF's most important game.)

In your SEC schedule, which team do you consider to be the most important opponent for 2014?
Thanks for posting. For me, I think it's Auburn. I think we'll beat UGA and, yes, Florida will be a war. We'll smash Clemson (ACC...Dabo...game over) as we do every year. But Auburn is our kryptonite. We have to get over that hump.
Legalman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 08:29 AM   #7
davisd9
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 375
davisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudly

I would go with Auburn. I am not sold on Auburn being the great team people are saying, no need to comment Thenardier because I am not going to banter back and forth. They are a very good team that will win some games but last year the only reason they went to the NC game is the luck swung their way.

I am in no way insulting Auburn because of it was SC in that position I would have taken both opportunities and been happy with were we ended, but reality is reality. They took a hit on their line for this coming season as well.

Playing on the Plains is always very difficult, but so is the Swamp. I would still go with Auburn because we sometimes struggle defensively with that type of offense. Hopefully our offense will score plenty and we will get that one crucial stop that we need to win the ball game.
davisd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 08:41 AM   #8
GregoryHouse
FB = Greeb Oval

Male

CockyCash: 30400
GregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot material

Quote:

I was going to say UofGA but, if the last few years are any indication, it doesn't matter if South Carolina beats them or not.

I then thought about UofTN. The last two years, Tenn has been the source of the most heartache for me-for two different reasons. However, I cannot hang my hat on that game. If the Gamecocks lose to any SEC East teams, it is logical to hope that team would be among UofVandy, UofKY or UofTN because I assume USC will not have to hope to win the tiebreaker against one of those teams.

Until I see any signs of life from UofFL to challenge for the SEC east, I would lump them with the group above.

I guess that leaves our SEC West games to consider. Out of UofMO, UofAU and UofTexasA&M, Auburn is the one on the road and SC have not faired well against them. The case could be made that Auburn is most important in terms of defining wins more than the other teams.

ON THE OTHER HAND - with the playoff this year, you don't want to lose to the lowest ranking team on your schedule. In conference, that looks like it will be Kentucky.
So Kentucky could be the most important in terms of playoff chances if we have to suffer a loss.

The third way to look at it is to take one game at a time and get better each week. To that end, Texas A&M would be the most important.

I will have to go with Texas A&M
Old 06-27-2014, 08:45 AM   #9
DillonDen11
Forever to Thee

Male

DillonDen11 has hatched from the shell

I would say it has to be the Georgia or Florida game. If we are honest we can accept 1 loss this year and most likely will be Auburn if it is the same team from last year. We as a team have a problem with not getting the 2nd loss in games we should win. It will be an SEC game to where it hurts us the most. 2013 it was Tenn. 2011 it was Auburn. If I had to narrow it down to one team I would have to agree with it being Florida seeing that we have to go to the swamp this year.
DillonDen11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 08:58 AM   #10
Coulwoodwarlord
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 939000
Coulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot material

A&M....................without question.
Coulwoodwarlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 09:08 AM   #11
Rooster'srule
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
Rooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talons

It depends on what the definition of important is(my Bill Clinton impression)..if you mean getting to the SECCG...it would have to be every SEC game you play. You have to win more than the other SECE teams do. If you lose to Vandy and the mutt butts go undefeated it is Vandy that is the most important. If you mean for the program as a whole I would say Allbarn b/c like mentioned before they have our number(a mental hurdle)...remember Arkansas...Clempson we are dominating so if we lose that one this year we just have to listen to the CU BS for a year b/c we know it would be just a fluke for the Clemmers to win. I also have to include Florida they hold the same psychological advantage as Allbarn(over the fans minds) and I have to include UT b/c most (JMHO) fans are not convinced we can beat them on a consistent basis after last year and history. We know we can beat mutt butts, Vandy, and UK on any given day.

So in order Allbarn, Gaytors, and Vols for the 2014 season.
Rooster'srule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 09:11 AM   #12
Helicopter Cock
To impress a chick

Male

Helicopter Cock is making other chickens nervousHelicopter Cock is making other chickens nervousHelicopter Cock is making other chickens nervousHelicopter Cock is making other chickens nervousHelicopter Cock is making other chickens nervousHelicopter Cock is making other chickens nervousHelicopter Cock is making other chickens nervousHelicopter Cock is making other chickens nervous

Our most important game is that one we always drop that we shouldn't.

So, I'm saying the most important game is A&M, then when that's over, the game after that.
Helicopter Cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 09:12 AM   #13
Order 66
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Order 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot material

AnM...then GA...then the next.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:34 AM   #14
ucan'tlickourcocks
The "other" M. Lattimore

Male

CockyCash: 1357725516
ucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot material

The most important game is the next one!
Old 06-27-2014, 10:01 AM   #15
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

FLORIDA

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 10:15 AM   #16
Gamecock1983
I kill threads.

Male

CockyCash: 10204
Gamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPit

The next game is always the most important.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:21 AM   #17
MisterClowney
It's A Revolution

Male

CockyCash: 685
MisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot material

Last year our most important game turned out to be UofTn. This year, I believe it will be UofF who will keep us from winning the east if anyone does.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:26 AM   #18
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helicopter Cock View Post
Our most important game is that one we always drop that we shouldn't.

So, I'm saying the most important game is A&M, then when that's over, the game after that.
I agree. We have to eliminate that. Potential loss in a trap game at Vandy and Tennessee at home.

Most important games are UGA and Florida as they are every year.

Biggest game will probably be Auburn but having a shot to beat them on the road will be very very difficult.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:28 AM   #19
B-G
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

B-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 View Post
Just stop.
B-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 11:07 AM   #20
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

CockyCash: 415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucan'tlickourcocks View Post
The most important game is the next one!

Yep