CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
ReadR00ster
RGHoskins
Master Bedroom
Kaka
gadeneer1986
donbgamecock
A. Pilgrim
taylorssc
El Cid Ranger
Fight, win, kick a-- (1496)
The Gator Bowl wants (1211)
Why I'm hopeful abou (1164)
A simple defensive l (869)
USC will upset Aubur (851)
In-state QB talent (709)
Texas athletic direc (500)
This is War (399)
Which loss hurt wors (390)
SEC Debate: Best can (386)
Madrid vs Barca
USC Picked 12th By SEC Me
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Roll call for Auburn
Texas athletic director:
Fight, win, kick a-- addi
Bama @ Tennessee
In-state QB talent
SEC Debate: Best candidat
Which loss hurt worse, Mi

Old 06-27-2014, 05:44 PM   #141
Beano Cook
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
Beano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his comb
Default Re: 2015 - Damon Arnette

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet_black215 View Post
TBS said this morning he is still 99 percent sure he wants to come here, but he is being encouraged to take visits. Still hope he ends up here. Would be a solid get.
Makes me nervous when you think a guy will commit, then he puts it off and takes more visits.Makes me think somebody, either a family member or coach is pushing him elsewhere.But maybe not, maybe he just wants to make sure.
Beano Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 05:46 PM   #142
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beano Cook View Post
Makes me nervous when you think a guy will commit, then he puts it off and takes more visits.Makes me think somebody, either a family member or coach is pushing him elsewhere.But maybe not, maybe he just wants to make sure.
Makes me nervous too but apparently we still have a great shot. It'll be interesting to see where things go over the next couple of weeks.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 05:56 PM   #143
rioninusc
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 555
rioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beano Cook View Post
Isn't this one of the complaints with coaches, about letting Juniors take OV. Would like this guy to be a Gamecock, but would also like him to want to be a Gamecock. He should take his 5 OV, and if he likes another place more then so be it. At least after 5 OV and he commits to USC I'm sure he's a lock after that.
Question can he take OV now since he will be a senior coming up in the fall, or is it after he starts going to school?
rioninusc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 05:57 PM   #144
donbgamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 2200
donbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot material

I appreciate the fact that he wasn't sure what he wanted to do and needed to take some time to evaluate his position to get his bearing. Its a lot better than getting a commit and then having that commit use up the rest of his time talking about not being sure.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:20 PM   #145
Lonnie
Band

Male

CockyCash: 500
Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

I agree with the above posters. If he wants to come to Carolina, he'll commit. Personally, I'd rather him wait and be sure, than commit and change his mind later (when we have to scramble to find someone else to fill the spot).

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 07:15 PM   #146
Ahmad
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 726
Ahmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by rioninusc View Post
Question can he take OV now since he will be a senior coming up in the fall, or is it after he starts going to school?
You can start taking Official Visits opening day of classes your senior year.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:31 PM   #147
rioninusc
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 555
rioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmad View Post
You can start taking Official Visits opening day of classes your senior year.
Thanks, just seems like a better idea now to let the players take OV during their junior year, or at least after the Official signing day for the previous class.
rioninusc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 08:54 PM   #148
EveryThingGreen
#blahblahblah

Male

EveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot material

I think these recruits should be encouraged to take as many visits as they possibly can. We are talking about KIDS, 16-17 year old kids that change their mind like we change channels on the TV. If he thinks he wants to come to USC but has been pointed in the direction of visiting UK before he decides, it gives him a chance to make a fair comparison and really see if USC is where he wants to be. These kids get blown away on visits and if you only visit 1 school, you have nothing to compare it to. I'm not saying Arnette has only visited 1 school, but it is different when you are the sole focus of the visit vs. going with your team for a camp/7 on 7/ large group of recruits.

Aside from talent, in order to excel in the SEC and college football on and off the field - you have to enjoy the environment you will be spending the next 3-4-5 years at otherwise you are setting up to fail.

With that said, he has spent a lot of time on campus recently, built a great relationship with Grady Brown, and with Al Harris Jr in the program and doing well - it is reasonable to believe this is where he ends up.
EveryThingGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 09:45 PM   #149
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryThingGreen View Post
I think these recruits should be encouraged to take as many visits as they possibly can. We are talking about KIDS, 16-17 year old kids that change their mind like we change channels on the TV. If he thinks he wants to come to USC but has been pointed in the direction of visiting UK before he decides, it gives him a chance to make a fair comparison and really see if USC is where he wants to be. These kids get blown away on visits and if you only visit 1 school, you have nothing to compare it to. I'm not saying Arnette has only visited 1 school, but it is different when you are the sole focus of the visit vs. going with your team for a camp/7 on 7/ large group of recruits.

Aside from talent, in order to excel in the SEC and college football on and off the field - you have to enjoy the environment you will be spending the next 3-4-5 years at otherwise you are setting up to fail.

With that said, he has spent a lot of time on campus recently, built a great relationship with Grady Brown, and with Al Harris Jr in the program and doing well - it is reasonable to believe this is where he ends up.
I think so too. That is why I don't like this early signing period stuff. It's not going to do anything good for the recruits trying make the decision. It's just going to cause coaches to pressure kids to sign early before they are ready. Before the season unfolds. Things change during the season. No one should sign on the dotted line before coaching carousel takes place like it does every year.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:36 AM   #150
qcgamecock
Banned

Male

qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

^^^^This! I was reading an article concerning recruiting and the newest offer from several colleges is to offer a four year scholarship that is allowed by NCAA rules now to some high profile athletes, so cal was the culprit in the article and no doubt they will use this to get "kids" to sign early and feel special.
qcgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:16 AM   #151
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcgamecock View Post
^^^^This! I was reading an article concerning recruiting and the newest offer from several colleges is to offer a four year scholarship that is allowed by NCAA rules now to some high profile athletes, so cal was the culprit in the article and no doubt they will use this to get "kids" to sign early and feel special.
yeah, I don't like the year scholarship idea either. All you have to do to assure your scholarship for a full 4 years is maintain a C average in class. You don't have to work hard in practice or stay in shape. It's not an academic scholarship. If you get a scholarship for playing a sport, you should have to prove yourself worthy by putting forth the effort in that sport to keep that scholarship.
Old 07-05-2014, 02:15 PM   #152
bcolinc
Blue Chip

Male

bcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudly

Read on GCC where Chris Carter (former OSU player and Vikings WR) is encouraging Damon to attend SC. Pretty cool business

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-05-2014, 02:24 PM   #153
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcolinc View Post
Read on GCC where Chris Carter (former OSU player and Vikings WR) is encouraging Damon to attend SC. Pretty cool business

Ya that's about a week or two old. Chris was talking to him on Twitter. Arnette said "my school going to be DBU." Chris said "How's your visit to USC?"
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 05:20 PM   #154
qcgamecock
Banned

Male

qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
yeah, I don't like the year scholarship idea either. All you have to do to assure your scholarship for a full 4 years is maintain a C average in class. You don't have to work hard in practice or stay in shape. It's not an academic scholarship. If you get a scholarship for playing a sport, you should have to prove yourself worthy by putting forth the effort in that sport to keep that scholarship.
I think the coaches can take away a 4 year scholarship as quick as they can decide to not bring you back for a one year scholarship, smoke and mirrors if you as me...
qcgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 06:34 PM   #155
GarnetSwarm1990
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 738
GarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
The whole point to the 4 year scholarship is so the NCAA has an excuse to still call them student athletes. It's their way of fighting the idiotic notion of paying the players.
GarnetSwarm1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 06:43 PM   #156
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetSwarm1990 View Post
The whole point to the 4 year scholarship is so the NCAA has an excuse to still call them student athletes. It's their way of fighting the idiotic notion of paying the players.
They are student-athletes regardless of whether their scholarship is 4 years or 1. And regardless of whether a player really wants to go to class or not. It's a requirement. If they want to play they have to make the grades.

The reason schools are offering the 4-year scholarships is to draw recruits to their school under the concept of "guaranteed" scholarship so long as I make a C average. That is not supposed to guarantee your ATHLETIC scholarship, it's just the bare minimum academic requirement that allows someone to be able to play an NCAA event. You have to earn your scholarship on the field as well, otherwise you would need a B average to keep your scholarship because without the athletic side it's nothing but and academic scholarship.

Last edited by ReadR00ster; 07-05-2014 at 08:28 PM.
Old 07-05-2014, 11:19 PM   #157
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcolinc View Post

That's pretty cool. As an OSU alum he could easily encourage him to commit there. Hopefully Arnette joins the fold soon.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:32 PM   #158
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Sure Carter meant us when he said USC? For an OSU guy to call us USC is rare.
Old 07-05-2014, 11:56 PM   #159
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
Sure Carter meant us when he said USC? For an OSU guy to call us USC is rare.
He did.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:00 PM   #160
rosstheboss
Diehard

Male

CockyCash: 461687660
rosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot material

Finally. He commits to Carolina!