CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
taylorssc
Acockolypse Now
uscnoklahoma
Gamecocks1137
Spurticus
highstick
ccured
MisterClowney
OriginalGamecock
Captain9Dragons
Don't underestimate (1328)
Does anyone else hat (1301)
Still No Respect Fro (969)
for the doubters (938)
2 more UNC dates ann (852)
Connor Mitch update. (822)
Gameday superstition (607)
South Carolina oppon (566)
Top 3 Most Overrated (433)
T - 28 and why Spurr (425)
UNC Fans
Syvelle Newton on Connor
Top 3 Most Overrated Team
Still No Respect From ESP
UNC is NOT Texas A&M
Connor Mitch update...
Gameday superstition do y
Congrats Damiere Byrd
Does anyone else hate whe
Other teams picking up ou

View Poll Results: Recruiting vs Coaching?
Recruiting 6 9.23%
Coaching 59 90.77%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 10:07 PM   #7941
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

CockyCash: 250018
catdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot material
Default Re: 2015 - Amonte Caban

"I talked to coach Botkin Tuesday," Caban said. "I'm going to South Carolina July 26th for a visit. I like South Carolina a lot, really. Their work ethic and the family environment stand out, and I like the coaches. I have a good relationship with coach Botkin."

Caban also has an offer from Clemson and talked with recruiter Brent Venables a couple of weeks ago. "He likes me and said I can play both inside and outside," Caban said. "He's making a hard push." But Caban said right now he likes USC more than Clemson.

http://www.goupstate.com/article/201...746/-1/psports
Old 06-27-2014, 10:32 PM   #7942
Cockypantherfan
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material
Default Re: 2015 - Amonte Caban

Botkin is doing work.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:32 PM   #7943
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 1000002205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material
Default Re: 2015 - Jordan Scarlett - Florida Atlantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrussjr View Post
Damon Arnette just recently picked up an offer from the osu as well. I haven't seen anywhere that Jordan and Damon want to continue playing together at the next level but the tea leaves seem to be imparting some insight.
not exactly...he picked an offer for him to camp at OSU and if they like him, they will offer....big difference....
Old 06-27-2014, 11:39 PM   #7944
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material
Default Re: 2015 - Jordan Scarlett

I think Scarlett stays in the state of Florida. A couple of CB to FSU today.
He's had opportunities to visit Columbia and hasn't. I think Arnette ends up picking us. He's spent too much time in Columbia already and has a great relationship with our coaches.

For the record, I think it will be Turner and Shaw. Scarlett isn't coming here. Shaw liked the visit. He's also the guy that could gain 20-25 lbs and play at 225-230......a perfect compliment to Turner.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:48 PM   #7945
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
I think Scarlett stays in the state of Florida. A couple of CB to FSU today.
He's had opportunities to visit Columbia and hasn't. I think Arnette ends up picking us. He's spent too much time in Columbia already and has a great relationship with our coaches.

For the record, I think it will be Turner and Shaw. Scarlett isn't coming here. Shaw liked the visit. He's also the guy that could gain 20-25 lbs and play at 225-230......a perfect compliment to Turner.
He has had problems getting rides. One time he had a car accident too. He may still pick someone else, but I think he eventually visits.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:51 PM   #7946
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
He has had problems getting rides. One time he had a car accident too. He may still pick someone else, but I think he eventually visits.
I remember the "accident". It seems to me that if he really wanted to visit, he could have done that by now. The fact that the coaches have made it known that the first 2 in win, tells me they don't think Scarlett is any better than the others.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:54 PM   #7947
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
I remember the "accident". It seems to me that if he really wanted to visit, he could have done that by now. The fact that the coaches have made it known that the first 2 in win, tells me they don't think Scarlett is any better than the others.
He's planning to take an unofficial and an official here so it seems he's serious about visiting. If that happens it seems like we have a chance, but I agree with you in that I'll believe he's serious about it when he's on campus.
Old 06-28-2014, 12:44 AM   #7948
bcolinc
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
bcolinc rules the CockPitbcolinc rules the CockPitbcolinc rules the CockPitbcolinc rules the CockPitbcolinc rules the CockPitbcolinc rules the CockPitbcolinc rules the CockPitbcolinc rules the CockPitbcolinc rules the CockPitbcolinc rules the CockPitbcolinc rules the CockPit
Default 2015 - Jordan Cronkrite - Miami

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWard View Post
Not this guy, one of their recruits, Walton, just reclassified and is now gong to go there as a RB, giving miami three 4 star RB's this cycle. Cronk is the lowest ranked 1 out of the 3, and miami is going to push for Scarlett. So Cronk is probably keeping his options open.

Ohhhhh ok. That makes plenty more sense now. Thanks for that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-28-2014, 12:44 AM   #7949
bcolinc
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
bcolinc rules the CockPitbcolinc rules the CockPitbcolinc rules the CockPitbcolinc rules the CockPitbcolinc rules the CockPitbcolinc rules the CockPitbcolinc rules the CockPitbcolinc rules the CockPitbcolinc rules the CockPitbcolinc rules the CockPitbcolinc rules the CockPit
Default 2015 - Jordan Cronkrite - Miami

Ohhhhh ok. That makes plenty more sense now. Thanks for that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-28-2014, 07:46 AM   #7950
surfinchicken1974
4-Star

Male

surfinchicken1974 has feathers coming insurfinchicken1974 has feathers coming insurfinchicken1974 has feathers coming in
Default Re: 2015 - Bradrick Shaw

want
Old 06-28-2014, 09:12 AM   #7951
qcgamecock
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 81375
qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick66 View Post
I try to stay positive, but those highlights weren't very good, IMO. Don't think he had a single run over 5 yards, and went down on first contact on most plays. Not much burst or balance.
I'm no expert, but compare his tape to Scarlett (who we still have a shot with) and there is a huge talent gap.

Not sure what you watched but I saw several running plays over 5 yards and not one under 5yds and did not see him go down on first contact but one play, went back and watched it again after reading your post because I thought I was missing something and he did go down of first contact on a TD dive and on one sweep, other then that he made it through contact before hitting another player and falling forward, reminded me a lot of Lattimore between the tackles with his leg drive and ability to fall forward.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:36 AM   #7952
qcgamecock
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 81375
qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material
Default Re: 2015 - Damon Arnette

^^^^This! I was reading an article concerning recruiting and the newest offer from several colleges is to offer a four year scholarship that is allowed by NCAA rules now to some high profile athletes, so cal was the culprit in the article and no doubt they will use this to get "kids" to sign early and feel special.
Old 06-28-2014, 10:16 AM   #7953
ReadR00ster
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1220
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material
Default Re: 2015 - Damon Arnette

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcgamecock View Post
^^^^This! I was reading an article concerning recruiting and the newest offer from several colleges is to offer a four year scholarship that is allowed by NCAA rules now to some high profile athletes, so cal was the culprit in the article and no doubt they will use this to get "kids" to sign early and feel special.
yeah, I don't like the year scholarship idea either. All you have to do to assure your scholarship for a full 4 years is maintain a C average in class. You don't have to work hard in practice or stay in shape. It's not an academic scholarship. If you get a scholarship for playing a sport, you should have to prove yourself worthy by putting forth the effort in that sport to keep that scholarship.
Old 06-28-2014, 11:59 AM   #7954
SC Sandlapper
Mr. 10,000

Male

CockyCash: 1650
SC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetArmy07 View Post
You're right in the sense of speed burst, but he will be the perfect compliment to AJ Turner. Shaw is a 4.6-4.7 guy, but a punisher. If we land him, he can add 15-20lbs and be an absolute monster bw the tackles.
When I think about backs like this I'm reminded that George Rogers started out as a fullback.
Old 06-28-2014, 01:28 PM   #7955
boowilliam4
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 400
boowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talons

I didn't realize that this guy was the #14 ranked back and that Jordan Scarlett was the #13 ranked back. Would be huge to get at least one of these guys.
Old 06-28-2014, 02:24 PM   #7956
boness
Blue Chip

Male

boness has earned his spursboness has earned his spursboness has earned his spursboness has earned his spursboness has earned his spursboness has earned his spursboness has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowilliam4 View Post
I didn't realize that this guy was the #14 ranked back and that Jordan Scarlett was the #13 ranked back. Would be huge to get at least one of these guys.
First is there truth to there being a mutual desire or at least mutual openess to these two considering signing with the same program?
If so, IYO, is it believed that SC would take both were they either interested in being a package and/or simply individually wished to choose SC?? thanks WVP
Old 06-28-2014, 02:34 PM   #7957
aftertwobowls
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 989498750
aftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by boness View Post
First is there truth to there being a mutual desire or at least mutual openess to these two considering signing with the same program?
If so, IYO, is it believed that SC would take both were they either interested in being a package and/or simply individually wished to choose SC?? thanks WVP
I don't see why not. We didn't take a RB last class, unless you count Joe Blue.
Old 06-28-2014, 03:53 PM   #7958
GREENVILLE COCKPIT
Injured Reserved

Male

CockyCash: 32257
GREENVILLE COCKPIT rules the CockPitGREENVILLE COCKPIT rules the CockPitGREENVILLE COCKPIT rules the CockPitGREENVILLE COCKPIT rules the CockPitGREENVILLE COCKPIT rules the CockPitGREENVILLE COCKPIT rules the CockPitGREENVILLE COCKPIT rules the CockPitGREENVILLE COCKPIT rules the CockPitGREENVILLE COCKPIT rules the CockPitGREENVILLE COCKPIT rules the CockPitGREENVILLE COCKPIT rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Sandlapper View Post
When I think about backs like this I'm reminded that George Rogers started out as a fullback.
Yep, lot of people didn't know or don't remember BIG GEORGE was brought in toward the end to block for Johnnie Wright. When Johnnie broke his leg George was moved to tailback and the rest is history ! ! ! CAROLINA played with a loaded ''38''
Old 06-28-2014, 04:52 PM   #7959
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material
Default Re: 2015 - Darian Roseboro

I saw a tweet earlier from one of the Rivals guys that said Darian knows three teams that will make his top five. Don't know if we fall in to that category or eventually will, but we were one of the teams mentioned. Hopefully his good visit jumps us in to the conversation.
Old 06-28-2014, 05:55 PM   #7960
henmania
Game MVP

Male

henmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREENVILLE COCKPIT View Post
Yep, lot of people didn't know or don't remember BIG GEORGE was brought in toward the end to block for Johnnie Wright. When Johnnie broke his leg George was moved to tailback and the rest is history ! ! ! CAROLINA played with a loaded ''38''
George was the more highly regarded when he was brought in. We ran a veer under Carlene which doesn't distinguish between the tailback and the fullback like in an I formation or more traditional set. George had more carries in his first 2 years than Johnnie. We scrapped the veer after we got beat 28-0 in the first game of the 79 season and went to a straight I formation. We featured George then and never looked back.
Closed Thread