CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
taylorssc
A. Pilgrim
U-Dub Gamecock
Outland
gadeneer1986
Lonnie
B-G
doubledribble
Jim Lahey
Why is everyone anti (2152)
How did we not make (1173)
Lorenzo Nunez (1122)
Busta out indefinite (1116)
Just thought of some (1048)
Miss St. defense (993)
SOS says his next st (829)
Let us clarify some (740)
Is Clowney back toni (680)
Our Road Upset Wins (668)
To ANYONE complaining abo
Michael Sams done in Dall
No easy road for our offe
Busta out indefinitely.
Our Road Upset Wins
Does South Carolina still
Rest of the season predic
Miss St. defense
Tevin Mack SG 6-5, 200 (2
Why is everyone anticipat

Old 06-03-2014, 08:20 AM   #21
Cocklover
Take Chances

Female

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Non Football Poster 
CockyCash: 1103858
Cocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to Cocklover
Default Re: Get the SEC Network for your TV provider!!!

I did read where TWC is working on it...so hopefully soon we'll hear something. You know TWC...it could be the day before the launch that we actually get it...LOL
Old 06-03-2014, 08:26 AM   #22
treys1986
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
treys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot material

I give Time Warner Cable until July 28th. If they don't have it by then, I will be switching.
treys1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:07 AM   #23
HUGEGARNETCOCK
4EVER CROWING!

Male

CockyCash: 490
HUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudly

Bump! Go tell your provider you that you want the SEC network!!!!!
Old 06-08-2014, 01:23 PM   #24
walnut777
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
walnut777 is learning to peckwalnut777 is learning to peck

Thanks for this info. This is the reason I looked for a forum to join so I could find out more about this. I have Directv and I hate the competitors in my area which are Dish and Charter. So, I guess if Directv doesnt strike a deal then I'll be switching to Dish.
walnut777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 01:26 PM   #25
uscgamecocks88
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talons

I have Time Warner. They don't have it. I'll be pissed if they don't get it. I really don't want a satellite. I've heard some bad things about satellite tv
uscgamecocks88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 01:40 AM   #26
Braveguy06
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1022
Braveguy06 is sharpening his clawsBraveguy06 is sharpening his clawsBraveguy06 is sharpening his clawsBraveguy06 is sharpening his claws

Also so with TWC. Will be switching first week of August if nothing is done by then.
Braveguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:46 PM   #27
vthokies
4-Star

Male

vthokies is sharpening his clawsvthokies is sharpening his clawsvthokies is sharpening his clawsvthokies is sharpening his clawsvthokies is sharpening his claws

Im pretty worried about this I have comcast, we don't have TWC in Virginia. I dont know who else we could switch to
vthokies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:55 PM   #28
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by vthokies View Post
Im pretty worried about this I have comcast, we don't have TWC in Virginia. I dont know who else we could switch to
Dish or AT&T Uverse. Direct TV does not have the SEC Network yet, but I am 99% sure they will get it. They are in talks right now.
Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.
Gamecocks1137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:08 PM   #29
uscgamecocks88
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talons

Any word on Time Warner Cable? Considering dropping them

Edit: saw this on the TWC website:

Is Time Warner Cable going to add the SEC Network to its channel lineup?

We are currently engaged in discussions with the SEC Network, but we have not yet reached an agreement permitting us to distribute the channel.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:33 PM   #30
Eutaw Kid
4-Star

Male

Eutaw Kid is making other chickens nervousEutaw Kid is making other chickens nervousEutaw Kid is making other chickens nervousEutaw Kid is making other chickens nervousEutaw Kid is making other chickens nervousEutaw Kid is making other chickens nervousEutaw Kid is making other chickens nervousEutaw Kid is making other chickens nervous

I have Dish and understand they have picked the SEC network up. Is this an additional charge or not? Does anybody know?
Eutaw Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:19 PM   #31
uscgamecocks88
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eutaw Kid View Post
I have Dish and understand they have picked the SEC network up. Is this an additional charge or not? Does anybody know?
I've heard it will be an additional charge. Not sure if you can order it by itself or if it will be part of a sports package
Old 06-24-2014, 08:31 PM   #32
ColaCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 800
ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eutaw Kid View Post
Very unlikely, but it could depend on the provider.

ESPN, as it does now, will charge the provider a given amount per subscriber. ESPN is one of the most expensive lineups for providers to carry and I have heard they account for around 20% of your cable bill...so even if you don't care for sports and have a basic package, you help pay for it.

So in all, your bill may increase...but it will be automatic and not something you can really opt out of unless you dropped your package to something basic (i.e. doesn't have ESPN2, ESPNU, etc). It likely won't be an added channel you pay for.

I get the Big10 network down here and don't pay separate for it. It's just lumped all in with the rest of my channel lineup.

ColaCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:32 PM   #33
uscgamecocks88
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaCock View Post
Very unlikely, but it could depend on the provider.

ESPN, as it does now, will charge the provider a given amount per subscriber. ESPN is one of the most expensive lineups for providers to carry and I have heard they account for around 20% of your cable bill...so even if you don't care for sports and have a basic package, you help pay for it.

So in all, your bill may increase...but it will be automatic and not something you can really opt out of unless you dropped your package to something basic (i.e. doesn't have ESPN2, ESPNU, etc). It likely won't be an added channel you pay for.

I get the Big10 network down here and don't pay separate for it. It's just lumped all in with the rest of my channel lineup.
I just dropped my TWC package to save a little money and it doesn't have the U. Hopefully it's not too low where I don't get SECN
Old 06-24-2014, 10:18 PM   #34
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscgamecocks88 View Post
Any word on Time Warner Cable? Considering dropping them

Edit: saw this on the TWC website:

Is Time Warner Cable going to add the SEC Network to its channel lineup?

We are currently engaged in discussions with the SEC Network, but we have not yet reached an agreement permitting us to distribute the channel.
The key week is mid July.
Old 06-28-2014, 01:58 PM   #35
Arm Chair QB
Walk On

Male

Arm Chair QB has hatched from the shell
Default SEC Network getting nervous

New article
6~26~14
http://awfulannouncing.com/2014/sec-...ng-launch.html
Arm Chair QB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 03:37 PM   #36
BlueHerons
4-Star

Female

BlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his comb
Default Re: SEC Network getting nervous

I doubt they are getting nervous. ESPN is pouring millions into the SEC Network. I'm sure they are in the process of hammering out the details with the big carriers.

ESPN would never have launched the network if they thought there was a snowball's chance in hell it wouldn't happen, too much is on the line.
BlueHerons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 04:20 PM   #37
GarnetSwarm1990
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 738
GarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHerons View Post
I doubt they are getting nervous. ESPN is pouring millions into the SEC Network. I'm sure they are in the process of hammering out the details with the big carriers.

ESPN would never have launched the network if they thought there was a snowball's chance in hell it wouldn't happen, too much is on the line.
They pretty much just have to be ironing out the small details of money with the big companies. I mean no Directtv or Fios? I feel like I'm leaving another big company out but can't think of who it might be.

Those companies will catch hell from the south if they don't carry it, and they have to know that.
GarnetSwarm1990 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 04:47 PM   #38
Storm Of Spurs
Blue Chip

Male

Storm Of Spurs rules the CockPitStorm Of Spurs rules the CockPitStorm Of Spurs rules the CockPitStorm Of Spurs rules the CockPitStorm Of Spurs rules the CockPitStorm Of Spurs rules the CockPitStorm Of Spurs rules the CockPitStorm Of Spurs rules the CockPitStorm Of Spurs rules the CockPitStorm Of Spurs rules the CockPitStorm Of Spurs rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetSwarm1990 View Post
They pretty much just have to be ironing out the small details of money with the big companies. I mean no Directtv or Fios? I feel like I'm leaving another big company out but can't think of who it might be.

Those companies will catch hell from the south if they don't carry it, and they have to know that.
Time Warner.
Storm Of Spurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 05:45 PM   #39
sunbeam
4-Star

Male

sunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talons

I dunno I think sports in this country is yet another bubble like housing or the late 90's stock bubble.

It is pretty much a product of how much money cable companies are willing to pay for content.

And as an aside, they charge all their customers in order to subsidize programming that appeals to a subset of those customers.

Cable (and broadcast TV) are in a long term decline in viewership, pretty much due to the internet, both for a competitor in video, and with totally different forms of entertainment.

One day a major sport is going to try to renegotiate a contract, and find there are no bidders at the price they are expecting. Or maybe no bidders.

And that day is going to change everything. If I owned a sports team, I'd sell it ASAP. I have no idea if I'd lose some appreciation by selling short of a "market top," but these things are hard to time. Based on my reading I was pretty sure the housing market was a bubble by 2004 (along with a lot of other people), but it kept on trucking till late 2007.

And the SEC is no different from anything else. You see Devil's Advocate posters (some one brought up major league baseball in a thread I participated in once, though I don't understand what is different with them), but there is no way SEC teams are paying for all this football related infrastructure from ticket sales and concessions. Some teams make good money from merchandise, but I'd bet that is a drop in the bucket compared to TV money.

If sports teams had to make broadcast revenue from some kind of pay per view internet thing, they would go broke or have to adjust in a hurry. And I'm not talking about piracy, I just don't think they could sell 25 million dollars or so in viewership rights over the internet (referring to the SEC here).

Well anyway, it is a little early. But things like Texas high schools building 50,000 seat stadiums on the public dime? That is a bubble sign in my book.
sunbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 05:53 PM   #40
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

That one comment is being blown out of proportion.