CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ucan'tlickourcocks
b381l
NAGamecockFan
kingofnerf
BigRedCock
El Cid Ranger
robgusc76
NinjaSven
Gamecockswag
TAFC 5 1981
Freshman ND WR " (809)
Call of Duty: Advanc (512)
Good Riddance to bad (445)
Keeping tailgate foo (307)
NCAAF: SOUTH CAROLIN (281)
An A to Z of Noah We (197)
The Comeback & T (196)
Bashing Players, coa (190)
NCAAF: MISSISSIPPI S (89)
Wallpaper & Back (77)
2015 Commitment - Lorenzo
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Instrumental Music (Pre g
Bashing Players, coaches,
Texas athletic director:
Why I think we beat Aubur
Wallpaper & Backgroun
Ranking Top HC jobs in SE
SEC Debate: Best candidat
2015 Commitment - Sherrod

Old 06-28-2014, 05:54 PM   #41
ColaCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 800
ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material
Default Re: SEC Network getting nervous

I'm thinking a lot of companies jump on at the last minute, although I don't see the strategy in doing that.

I have FiOS and they need to get their shit together! I have no doubts they won't, since we already have the Big10 Network.

ColaCock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 06:07 PM   #42
Spartan
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
Spartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbeam View Post
I dunno I think sports in this country is yet another bubble like housing or the late 90's stock bubble.

It is pretty much a product of how much money cable companies are willing to pay for content.

And as an aside, they charge all their customers in order to subsidize programming that appeals to a subset of those customers.

Cable (and broadcast TV) are in a long term decline in viewership, pretty much due to the internet, both for a competitor in video, and with totally different forms of entertainment.

One day a major sport is going to try to renegotiate a contract, and find there are no bidders at the price they are expecting. Or maybe no bidders.

And that day is going to change everything. If I owned a sports team, I'd sell it ASAP. I have no idea if I'd lose some appreciation by selling short of a "market top," but these things are hard to time. Based on my reading I was pretty sure the housing market was a bubble by 2004 (along with a lot of other people), but it kept on trucking till late 2007.

And the SEC is no different from anything else. You see Devil's Advocate posters (some one brought up major league baseball in a thread I participated in once, though I don't understand what is different with them), but there is no way SEC teams are paying for all this football related infrastructure from ticket sales and concessions. Some teams make good money from merchandise, but I'd bet that is a drop in the bucket compared to TV money.

If sports teams had to make broadcast revenue from some kind of pay per view internet thing, they would go broke or have to adjust in a hurry. And I'm not talking about piracy, I just don't think they could sell 25 million dollars or so in viewership rights over the internet (referring to the SEC here).

Well anyway, it is a little early. But things like Texas high schools building 50,000 seat stadiums on the public dime? That is a bubble sign in my book.
Cable companies know that for a lot of people, sports are the only reason even have their service which is why ESPN has so much influence. I know that I personally would drop cable tv in a heartbeat except that I want to be able to watch Carolina games on TV. Especially basketball and baseball since there are too many for me to realistically go watch in person.

Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 07:10 PM   #43
cockymac
I was the white shadow.

Male

CockyCash: 300500
cockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot material

Uh, no. All people absolutely love sports, and will pay for it. Some World Cup games were played in the smack dab middle of the Amazon rain forest, and tens of thousands went to see it. Think about that. Tens of thousands of people went to the middle of the freaking Amazon rain forest just to watch some soccer. Sports will continue to grow.
cockymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 07:22 PM   #44
JAYBEZ
1st Team All-SEC

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature 2007 NCAA Bracket Challenge: 2007 NCAA Bracket Challenge - Given for: 1st place Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff 
CockyCash: 117561006
JAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arm Chair QB View Post
Why would they be nervous? If the big 10 network can be a thing, the SEC doesn't have anything to worry about.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:50 PM   #45
sunbeam
4-Star

Male

sunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talons

We'll see I guess.
sunbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:01 PM   #46
Cockhornleghorn
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200700
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to Cockhornleghorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockymac View Post
Uh, no. All people absolutely love sports, and will pay for it. Some World Cup games were played in the smack dab middle of the Amazon rain forest, and tens of thousands went to see it. Think about that. Tens of thousands of people went to the middle of the freaking Amazon rain forest just to watch some soccer. Sports will continue to grow.
Manaus is a large city, though. It's not like it's a small town, even though it's deep in the rain forest.
Old 06-28-2014, 11:32 PM   #47
75CarolinaFan
Gatorade Poster of d Year

Male

CockyCash: 100200
75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
Cable companies know that for a lot of people, sports are the only reason even have their service which is why ESPN has so much influence. I know that I personally would drop cable tv in a heartbeat except that I want to be able to watch Carolina games on TV. Especially basketball and baseball since there are too many for me to realistically go watch in person.
I agree. I don't have much use for cable/sat except for games. Everything else I'd be perfectly happy finding on the internet or through DVD.

75CarolinaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 12:13 AM   #48
sunbeam
4-Star

Male

sunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talons

But the thing is that there are people and lots of them that don't care about watching sports.

Game show reruns, the News Reel channels, TV Land, Cartoons...

Everyone has something they like to watch. And the price of each one is spread among all the viewers.

But what it takes to get sports programming, well that is a whole lot more expensive than getting reruns of Match Game 77 or I Dream of Jeanie reruns.

To get your dollar they have to fork out a lot to get content that entices only a limited number of users.

At some point it isn't worth it. And while we are talking about sports fans, what happens if the people who watch Court TV found something equally dysfunctional on the internet to watch, that was cheaper than paying for cable? You might say so what, but it is pretty hard to make these kinds of distribution networks work without a critical base of customers.

The Dodgers in California have been playing hardball with cable providers as regards fees for Dodgers broadcast rights. So far the providers haven't been playing ball with the new ownership team. I understand it would require them to hike fees for all subscribers to pay the Dodgers what they want. Paying 2 billion for a baseball team puts you in that situation I guess.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:27 AM   #49
lakemurraycock
Blue Chip

CockyCash: 357
lakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudly

The cable companies realize that netflix and other streaming services are allowing people to totally drop cable and only have internet service. Sports is the one problem for most cord cutters and keeps many subscribers from looking at alternatives. Cable companies don't want to go the way of landline phones and yellow pages.
lakemurraycock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:43 AM   #50
B-G
Bowl MVP

Male

B-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHerons View Post

ESPN would never have launched the network if they thought there was a snowball's chance in hell it wouldn't happen, too much is on the line.
Longhorn network?
Not saying it didn't happen, but the network hasn't done very well.
B-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:46 AM   #51
B-G
Bowl MVP

Male

B-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockymac View Post
I wouldn't compare the World Cup to college football.
B-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:48 AM   #52
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

If cable/sat provided channels like an a la carte menu, more people would stick with them. I tend to believe that most people don't want but a few channels in the package deals anyway

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:09 AM   #53
johnnyb
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Male

CockyCash: 1705674460
johnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000grad View Post
If cable/sat provided channels like an a la carte menu, more people would stick with them. I tend to believe that most people don't want but a few channels in the package deals anyway
The problem with this is the content providers won't allow it, and if they did in the current pricing structure (on the content provider/cable-sat company side) say only 20% wanted the sports package, you would be paying as much for just that as you do now for the full package.

To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:03 AM   #54
The Gamecock Outlaw
Glutton For Punishment

Male

CockyCash: 200
The Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot material

I'm holding on with Charter till August 14. If they don't have it by then, I am calling U-Verse or Dish and seeing who I can get by the 28th. Part of me understands then waiting till the last minute to make a deal because they can get the price down easier when the other company feels like they have to make a deal to get their network on the air. But at the same time, people who have Charter, Time Warner, Direct TV and others are likely to switch companies at the drop of a hat (especially Charter customers since there is no longer a contract with them) and go somewhere they can get the network.
The Gamecock Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:14 AM   #55
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1768234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

we have fios and were told it would be available to us
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:47 AM   #56
Who
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 909259
Who has earned his spursWho has earned his spursWho has earned his spursWho has earned his spursWho has earned his spursWho has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbeam View Post
I dunno I think sports in this country is yet another bubble like housing or the late 90's stock bubble.
I don't think Sports is the bubble, it's the cable companies. Eventually Disney, ESPN, NBC, etc. will cut out the middle man (comcast, time warner) and just offer a la carte, or something similar. It'd be really nice if i could just buy the SEC app for like 5 bucks a month (I'd pay more) without having to pay for cable.
Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 11:07 AM   #57
gamecockphan
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 2200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material

Sports are the most valuable commodity on TV. One of the few if only things that people watch live. It is kore attractive to advertisers bc of this. Also it hits the key male 18-34 demo.
gamecockphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 11:52 AM   #58
sunbeam
4-Star

Male

I have a couple of nephews. They aren't interested in sports at all. They don't watch games unless someone else happens to be watching one. They don't even know big games are happening unless someone tells them.

My niece is the same way. On the other hand they can talk for hours about Xbox this or that or games that are coming out in the next year.

When they have friends over, the boys all have these game controllers they bring with them. Not sure what teenage girls do these days. They find some way to keep themselves occupied though.

Just saying things are changing. I, and strangely enough my mother are the only sports fans left in my family. The rest never watch anything unless we are over.

Those home shopping and cartoon channels get a lot more of a workout than ESPN does. Come to think of it, ESPN only gets watched when the gamecocks or a really big and interesting college football game is on. Even then I'm the one that turns it on.

Oh yeah, and except for college football that channel might as well not be there. Baseball, Basketball, anything else just never gets watched. Heck they watch 10 times as many hours of fishing shows as they do sports.

Wanted to add one more thing. Two of my nephews are in the early 20's. I'm not entirely sure they know college teams mainly play on Saturday. I'm also not sure they know what the ACC or SEC is. They just aren't interested.
Old 06-29-2014, 12:37 PM   #59
ColaCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 800
ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKE226 View Post
we have fios and were told it would be available to us
Told by who? FiOS has made no agreement with SEC Network yet.

ColaCock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 12:41 PM   #60
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1768234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaCock View Post
Told by who? FiOS has made no agreement with SEC Network yet.
well in all honesty, my wife set up the Fios account when we moved, and she said that we would have it. So its possible that she was not told the truth.
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote