CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CockyLifer
Gamecocks1137
Bed Sores
mpilot0705
Aggie96
ReadR00ster
Master Bedroom
spareparts
TheUniversityofSC
AtlGAMECOCK
Finbaum Jogs on USC (1587)
The Field (1503)
Spurrier winning at (1134)
I hope Coach Spurrie (1066)
One of the great thi (963)
Anyone watching pti (951)
Defensive Backfield (853)
GAME (823)
SDS/Garcia: Entertai (710)
Death in the family (702)
GAME
The Field
I hope Coach Spurrier get
Conflict with Aggies on t
Finbaum Jogs on USC campu
Elliott Fry
****Official 2014 Gamecoc
Anyone watching pti
SDS/Garcia: Entertaining
Defensive Backfield

Old 06-28-2014, 04:23 PM   #101
Kaka
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Kaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot material
Default Re: Talent Level In Professional Soccer?

Who is the better athletes and who will dominate what sport is just a myth.

Germany is the tallest team in the world cup and most likely they wont win it.

I think Ghana was the fastest team, they are out.

American sports are mostly based on power and speed but sports are such much more then just power and speed.

I was small and skinny as a kid but I was always good at every sport. I was fast and quick as hell, I didnt even choose to play sports, I was taken into the neighborhood team and that was my life.

I joined the team at age 9, the team was u12, I was the smaller kid that just ran and kick the ball. When I was 11 years old, I was the stud center back of the team, to the point that I went to try out for our Academy of the pro team of the city (CD Aguila of El Salvador) and I made the try out of 200 kids, once you made the academy, they take care of you, you train with the best coaches and you travel with the team for free.

I remember that try out, I got in there and the first thing I did was tackle the crap out of a bigger kid, it was a clean tackle, I used to play with about 4 older cousins, they were 14 and 15, I was 9... I was used to playing with bigger and faster kids.

I played every position the coach asked me to do, when they had a good big defender, I will be the one marking him, I was fast, smart, quick, had a hell of a jump.

I was a very skilled player but never as great as the most skilled forward or the most skilled center mid, I had skill just because I used play a lot of street ball.

I was good at tennis, basketball, the middle school coaches will come to me trying to recruit me but soccer was everything for me at that age.

Point Im trying to make, there are so much in sports that just being 6 7" and being a fast sprinter, those athletic abilities are overrated in the American sports market I think.

Not to make it too long, I went to try out for the LA Galaxy, I was a finalist but didnt make the final cut, so I came back to play for Lander University where injuries pretty much ended my soccer dream.

Soccer and all the sports are so much more than being big and fast.

I took down a big football player in high school, we were wrestling around, the kid was about 200lbs, but guess what? he was too slow, I was too quick for him. I know that the best athlete on the football team would've prob destroyed me, but again, is not all about being big and fast, never have been, never will.

Kaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:23 PM   #102
Sonofacock
Mothershouldibuilthedwall

Male

CockyCash: 500
Sonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaka View Post

American sports are mostly based on power and speed but sports are such much more then just power and speed.

I was small and skinny as a kid but I was always good at every sport. I was fast and quick as hell, I didnt even choose to play sports, I was taken into the neighborhood team and that was my life.

I joined the team at age 9, the team was u12, I was the smaller kid that just ran and kick the ball. When I was 11 years old, I was the stud center back of the team, to the point that I went to try out for our Academy of the pro team of the city (CD Aguila of El Salvador) and I made the try out of 200 kids, once you made the academy, they take care of you, you train with the best coaches and you travel with the team for free.

I remember that try out, I got in there and the first thing I did was tackle the crap out of a bigger kid, it was a clean tackle, I used to play with about 4 older cousins, they were 14 and 15, I was 9... I was used to playing with bigger and faster kids.

I played every position the coach asked me to do, when they had a good big defender, I will be the one marking him, I was fast, smart, quick, had a hell of a jump.

I was a very skilled player but never as great as the most skilled forward or the most skilled center mid, I had skill just because I used play a lot of street ball.

I was good at tennis, basketball, the middle school coaches will come to me trying to recruit me but soccer was everything for me at that age.

Point Im trying to make, there are so much in sports that just being 6 7" and being a fast sprinter, those athletic abilities are overrated in the American sports market I think.

Not to make it too long, I went to try out for the LA Galaxy, I was a finalist but didnt make the final cut, so I came back to play for Lander University where injuries pretty much ended my soccer dream.

I took down a big football player in high school, we were wrestling around, the kid was about 200lbs, but guess what? he was too slow, I was too quick for him. I know that the best athlete on the football team would've prob destroyed me, but again, is not all about being big and fast, never have been, never will.

I didn't choose the sport life, the sport life chose me
Old 06-28-2014, 09:55 PM   #103
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 380
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

Kaka,
Nobody said that heights is everything. We said if you combined players like Germany with Ghana, which the USA population has within it, the US would be a top team.

I appreciate your story but the reality of the situation is, had there been a bunch of dudes 6 inches taller than you with the same athleticism than you'd have not gone anywhere. It's like in basketball and there are 1000s of guys who are better shooters, dribblers, faster, etc. but are too short to play. In soccer there is a weird and illogical belief, unlike any other sport, that somehow bigger, faster and stronger athletes can't be better at soccer.

Also you taking down a random football player who is 200 pounds means nothing. That's like when a girl says they beat a guy in one on one basketball, you can always find someone you can beat. Did you take on a D1 football player, I'd guess no. I'm glad you did well with soccer, even though you didn't try to pursue it.

At the end of the day, skills and mental ability can only take you so far. Better athletes with similar skills will win the majority of the time.
Old 06-28-2014, 10:12 PM   #104
Kaka
Bowl MVP

Male

Kaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalli25 View Post
Kaka,
Nobody said that heights is everything. We said if you combined players like Germany with Ghana, which the USA population has within it, the US would be a top team.

I appreciate your story but the reality of the situation is, had there been a bunch of dudes 6 inches taller than you with the same athleticism than you'd have not gone anywhere. It's like in basketball and there are 1000s of guys who are better shooters, dribblers, faster, etc. but are too short to play. In soccer there is a weird and illogical belief, unlike any other sport, that somehow bigger, faster and stronger athletes can't be better at soccer.

Also you taking down a random football player who is 200 pounds means nothing. That's like when a girl says they beat a guy in one on one basketball, you can always find someone you can beat. Did you take on a D1 football player, I'd guess no. I'm glad you did well with soccer, even though you didn't try to pursue it.

At the end of the day, skills and mental ability can only take you so far. Better athletes with similar skills will win the majority of the time.
Lets look at Jordan, he wasnt the biggest or the strongest or fastest on his sport, ali wasn't, kobe, maradona, pele.

Not, in soccer "nobody puts down" tall players, you are good or you are not, Johan Cruyff is by many the best soccer player ever, I'm sure he was taller than 6'

Of course.if you are too small, too skinny, too big, too tall then is not gone happen, look at Yao, he was a giant who wasn't athletic enought

Old 06-28-2014, 10:50 PM   #105
Gyle41386
Explosivo

Male

CockyCash: 1450
Gyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to Gyle41386 Send a message via Yahoo to Gyle41386

Quote:
Lets look at Jordan, he wasnt the biggest or the strongest or fastest on his sport, ali wasn't, kobe, maradona, pele.

Not, in soccer "nobody puts down" tall players, you are good or you are not, Johan Cruyff is by many the best soccer player ever, I'm sure he was taller than 6'

Of course.if you are too small, too skinny, too big, too tall then is not gone happen, look at Yao, he was a giant who wasn't athletic enought
You sure about that?
Old 06-28-2014, 11:37 PM   #106
Kaka
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyle41386 View Post
You sure about that?
How many championships Yao won?

If we go by athletic "freaks," that means Lebron is going to win more than Jordan and Kobe...

Not, if Kobe and Nash didnt stick to soccer it was not bc soccer didn't matter at the time it was because they were not that good, that simple.

Would Lebron would have been a dominant soccer player? Nobody knows, that is just a myth to think he would have been a great gk.

Old 06-28-2014, 11:43 PM   #107
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:

how much does a professional soccer player make playing for the Galaxy.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 11:47 PM   #108
Gyle41386
Explosivo

Male

CockyCash: 1450
Gyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to Gyle41386 Send a message via Yahoo to Gyle41386

Among many others, Shaquille O'Neal praised Yao Ming's athleticism. Stress fractures ended his career. Saying that Yao was a giant who wasn't athletic enough is just wrong.

I'm not getting involved in any of this beyond that. Just felt that need to correct that glaring inaccuracy.
Old 06-29-2014, 12:02 AM   #109
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
how much does a professional soccer player make playing for the Galaxy.
Beckham made about 5 mil a year

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 05:25 AM   #110
GH
Moonocababa

Male

CockyCash: 28000
GH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot material

Quote:

bullshit
Old 06-29-2014, 08:09 AM   #111
B-G
Bowl MVP

Male

B-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscfreek88 View Post
dont think we are the best in the world at baseball
I think we are.

Good pitching beats good hitting.

In a seven game series I don't think there is any country than can match our pitching rotation. Only problem is there won't be a competition where we can see this happen.

WBC is shit because teams don't let their best players go.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:10 AM   #112
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

Quote:

Jordan was a 6'6 guard, with the agility of a 6'0 PG and could jump out of the building. So you probably shouldn't try him as an example, since when he came in the league nobody was like him. Ali's quickness, reach and strength is what made him great, not just his trash talking and mental skills. The example you could try is someone like Spud Web or Mugsy Boggs who played in the NBA at a short height, yet they are the out layers.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:12 AM   #113
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-G View Post
I think we are.

In a seven game series I don't think there is any country than can match our pitching rotation. Only problem is there won't be a competition where we can see this happen.

Also the WBC has random rules to limit pitch counts and stuff like that. Also it's before the players are in season form. Lastly, most of the players don't care about it. They just want to get through without injury.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:19 AM   #114
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 749
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
I think we are.

Per capita, the Dominican Republic is far better. That country is a baseball factory. Overall I would say the US is the best though.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:24 AM   #115
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 4445916
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
Per capita, the Dominican Republic is far better. That country is a baseball factory. Overall I would say the US is the best though.
per capita the dominican and cuba.
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 12:27 PM   #116
Kaka
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalli25 View Post
Jordan was a 6'6 guard, with the agility of a 6'0 PG and could jump out of the building. So you probably shouldn't try him as an example, since when he came in the league nobody was like him. Ali's quickness, reach and strength is what made him great, not just his trash talking and mental skills. The example you could try is someone like Spud Web or Mugsy Boggs who played in the NBA at a short height, yet they are the out layers.
Yes but my point stands, none of them were the biggest or fastest in their sports.

Ok Ali and Mayweather are prob the fastest but what about the rest?

Can Elite athletes like Lebron be dominant at soccer? Maybe yes, maybe not, there is not guarantee that they will succed just like Jordan didn't succed in baseball. Elite athletes spend thousands of hours training so they can be elites.

Having the tools is just one part of being elite, it has to do with having the genes and the will to do the hard work.

The player that got me into football was Michael Vick, it was unreal to see him juking people on the field with Virgunia Tech, I could relate a lot to him, watching Vick was like watching fat Ronaldo orJorge Ginzalez in their prime. Makes me believe that if I was born in America, with the proper diet, I would have been a great running back, I would have juked the living crap out of people with my quickness.

Yes football is the a more physicals version of soccer, once a soccer player knows what's going on with football, we get hooked. We are still slow with baseball but like I saI'd, we find a lot of similarities with our sport and American football.

Old 06-29-2014, 01:08 PM   #117
B-G
Bowl MVP

Male

B-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
Gimme a DR or Cuban starting Rotation that can match that of the US in a 7 game series.

Sure their 1 may be better than ours , err wait no it's not, Kershaw is the best in the league.

Like said defense wins championships, in this case pitching.
Old 06-29-2014, 02:09 PM   #118
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Yes but my point stands, none of them were the biggest or fastest in their sports.

Ok Ali and Mayweather are prob the fastest but what about the rest?

Can Elite athletes like Lebron be dominant at soccer? Maybe yes, maybe not, there is not guarantee that they will succed just like Jordan didn't succed in baseball. Elite athletes spend thousands of hours training so they can be elites.

Having the tools is just one part of being elite, it has to do with having the genes and the will to do the hard work.

The player that got me into football was Michael Vick, it was unreal to see him juking people on the field with Virgunia Tech, I could relate a lot to him, watching Vick was like watching fat Ronaldo orJorge Ginzalez in their prime. Makes me believe that if I was born in America, with the proper diet, I would have been a great running back, I would have juked the living crap out of people with my quickness.

Yes football is the a more physicals version of soccer, once a soccer player knows what's going on with football, we get hooked. We are still slow with baseball but like I saI'd, we find a lot of similarities with our sport and American football.
Jordan hadn't played baseball in 20 years and went out and played at a high level in short time. Many analyst say he'd have been a 30/30 guy if he had stayed with it.

It isn't about being the biggest it is about putting bigger and better athletes into the soccer pool. No one means that LeBron specifically would go play soccer tomorrow but elite type athletes who just aren't able to make it in the NFL or NBA were to grow up in soccer, they'd make the USA dominant.

I just don't get how soccer fans continue to argue that bigger, stronger and faster athletes wouldn't make the USA team better.
Old 06-29-2014, 02:15 PM   #119
Ballpoint Man
Blue Chip

Male

Ballpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPit

Quote:
Gimme a DR or Cuban starting Rotation that can match that of the US in a 7 game series.

Sure their 1 may be better than ours , err wait no it's not, Kershaw is the best in the league.

Like said defense wins championships, in this case pitching.
False. Kershaw is the best, but Cueto is amazing too. That game will be a 1-0 victory for whomever wins, and the pitching matchup will effectively be a wash.

The US has better depth, but when you go to the best starting line up, many of to countries compare very well with us. It's why the world tournaments are always so close, and we do not dominate it like we do basketball.
Ballpoint Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 02:38 PM   #120
B-G
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballpoint Man View Post
False. Kershaw is the best, but Cueto is amazing too. That game will be a 1-0 victory for whomever wins, and the pitching matchup will effectively be a wash.

The US has better depth, but when you go to the best starting line up, many of to countries compare very well with us. It's why the world tournaments are always so close, and we do not dominate it like we do basketball.
Yes but I said a starting rotation.
Not their 1 vs our 1.