CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Regalcock
BiscoCocky
yazoo
StormOfTalons
b381l
robgusc76
The Yancey
Gamecockswag
TheUniversityofSC
GoldenSpur7
I'm not buying the h (2016)
Tanner McEvoy Starti (1321)
SL,UT Gamecocks (1290)
Wow! barely a comme (908)
SHOULD GAMECOCK PLAY (792)
Howdy! - Tailgating (701)
Greetings from ECU F (485)
Nice Article With Ke (462)
Clemson 1st string R (396)
35 Things You Need T (300)
OBC banner being added to
2 back sets
2014 Signee - Darin Small
SHOULD GAMECOCK PLAYERS B
Kentucky 2013 full game v
2015 Commitment - Lorenzo
2015 - Bradrick Shaw
Howdy! - Tailgating quest
New Sign at Williams Bric
Season tickets?

Old 06-28-2014, 06:00 PM   #221
sunbeam
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
sunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his comb
Default Re: 2015 Commitment - Lorenzo Nunez

Long story.

Todd Ellis was a big time recruit from Charlotte signed by Joe Morrison.

His redshirt freshman year we went to the run and shoot, and he had a pretty big year statistically, well at least for passing yards.

He seemed to get worse each year of his career here though. Or maybe that is my faulty memory.

I guess Pat Turner signed a year after Ellis. I remember the year following Ellis graduating, Pat Turner was finally supposed to start, and he had some injury before or early in the season. I can't remember if that was the Dickie Demasi year or not.

Anyway, a few people and I was one, kind of thought maybe Pat Turner should have been given a chance to play over Todd Ellis. I can't really describe Todd too well.. except to say he was an interception machine.

I really have no memories of what Turner looked like throwing the ball, but he was 6'3" and he could run like Connor Shaw. and I am not exaggerating, he supposedly ran a 4.5 or something. It wouldn't surprise me if they were more rigorous at timing forties now or something, but I'm also quite sure young Pat Turner would have beaten Connor in a 40 yard dash. That doesn't mean he would have been a great qb, we will never know that. Simply that he had some good tools, particularly if you want a mobile qb.

Basically I hope Pat was happy here and has had a good life. As of now he is a what-might-been story, either as a qb or a position switch to safety (Seems like I remember some talk about that). Or if he had signed with Georgia Tech.
sunbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 08:23 PM   #222
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

didn't Ellis get hurt his senior year, I think it was against Tennessee.....who took his place.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 08:44 PM   #223
75CarolinaFan
Gatorade Poster of d Year

Male

CockyCash: 100200
75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
didn't Ellis get hurt his senior year, I think it was against Tennessee.....who took his place.
Ellis was hurt against NC State. A-1 went down against Tennessee. Dickie Demasi took over for Ellis.

75CarolinaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:25 PM   #224
Flameout12
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75CarolinaFan View Post
Ellis was hurt against NC State. A-1 went down against Tennessee. Dickie Demasi took over for Ellis.
And Pat Turner, who was moved to defense became Demasi's back up.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:29 PM   #225
cockybusiness2
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 476000
cockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot material

Todd Ellis and Pat Turner were both highly recruited High School QB's both coming to Columbia in 1986.
I remember seeing in the paper where Pat Turner was asked why he would sign at USC at the same time as Ellis . His answer... "he hasn't gotten that job yet."

Although Pat ended up playing DB. I always liked him for that statement. His willingness to compete
cockybusiness2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:30 PM   #226
conwaycock2
Two Deep

Male

conwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPit

Ellis was hurt against NC State. Demasi had not taken a single snap all year if my recollection is correct & the coaches wanted to RS him. Ben Hogan had been the backup before Ellis got hurt but he was a true freshman & the coaches didn't want to put him in a starting position.

The clemson game that year was painful, they had Demasi trying to throw 40 yd outs when he just didn't have that type arm. They dropped one or two before the inevitable occurred and the game just turned in a real bad direction. Terrible decisions by the coaching staff. Everybody with half a brain could see what was fixin to happen. It did & there they went.

Couple of minor corrections from some of the post above. Ellis was from Greensboro (Page HS), not Charlotte & Turner had been moved to LB before Ellis got hurt, not DB.
conwaycock2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 11:28 PM   #227
rt3891
ISLAND COCK

Male

rt3891 has hatched from the shell

45-0 Clemson that night, most painfull game to watch as a Gamecocks fan (13 at the time). Happened to invite my best friend over (an in your face Clemson fan), and my little brother was already there (Master's degree from Clemson and a diehard fan). That was Sparky Woods first season as coach and it ended horribly. Had Ellis not got his leg broken against NCState, maybe the outcome would have been different(scorewise, anyway),but it just wasn't our night.
rt3891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 12:34 AM   #228
StormOfTalons
4-Star

Male

StormOfTalons is crowing loudlyStormOfTalons is crowing loudlyStormOfTalons is crowing loudlyStormOfTalons is crowing loudlyStormOfTalons is crowing loudlyStormOfTalons is crowing loudlyStormOfTalons is crowing loudlyStormOfTalons is crowing loudlyStormOfTalons is crowing loudlyStormOfTalons is crowing loudlyStormOfTalons is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75CarolinaFan View Post
Ellis was hurt against NC State.
Yep...I remember being at that game and being sick to my stomach when it happened.
StormOfTalons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 02:39 AM   #229
CockyATO
Flipping Recruits

Male

CockyATO is developing his combCockyATO is developing his combCockyATO is developing his combCockyATO is developing his combCockyATO is developing his combCockyATO is developing his combCockyATO is developing his combCockyATO is developing his combCockyATO is developing his combCockyATO is developing his comb

Man I feel for you on this one. I can remember growing up in Estill,SC. If your team didn't win during USC/Clem, your dad didn't make you go to school on Monday. That serious.

Another N00k production
CockyATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 03:24 AM   #230
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 114408514
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

We ran a flea flicker on the first play and demasi under threw it by 10 yards and they ran it back to our side and the rout was on. Ugly.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:58 AM   #231
bcolinc
Blue Chip

Male

bcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudly

Back to the future. We gonna smash some bartle do's right quick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-29-2014, 12:56 PM   #232
henmania
Game MVP

Male

henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by conwaycock2 View Post
Ellis was hurt against NC State. Demasi had not taken a single snap all year if my recollection is correct & the coaches wanted to RS him. Ben Hogan had been the backup before Ellis got hurt but he was a true freshman & the coaches didn't want to put him in a starting position.

The clemson game that year was painful, they had Demasi trying to throw 40 yd outs when he just didn't have that type arm. They dropped one or two before the inevitable occurred and the game just turned in a real bad direction. Terrible decisions by the coaching staff. Everybody with half a brain could see what was fixin to happen. It did & there they went.

Couple of minor corrections from some of the post above. Ellis was from Greensboro (Page HS), not Charlotte & Turner had been moved to LB before Ellis got hurt, not DB.

Beat me to it. Turner put on weight and moved to LB before playing QB after Ellis got hurt. He did not look good as a QB. I believe we only won one game after Ellis got hurt and that was against UNC.
henmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 05:02 PM   #233
boowilliam4
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 400
boowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talons

Should i start a Todd Ellis memory thread so that we can go back to using this one for Lorenzo Nunez?
Old 06-29-2014, 05:13 PM   #234
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowilliam4 View Post
Should i start a Todd Ellis memory thread so that we can go back to using this one for Lorenzo Nunez?
Was thinking the same thing.

"Are you a millionaire right now?" 'Nah, not yet. I'm still broke." - Jadeveon Clowney

Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.

Gamecocks1137 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 05:32 PM   #235
conwaycock2
Two Deep

Male

conwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPit

No, we should go back to 19-20 year old kids who somehow think they have the expertise to breakdown film on players. That crap never ceases to amaze me. It would be sad were it not so comical. Unless you have some high level of experience & training you have no idea what to even look for. I can tell you for a fact that I do not. Neither do 99.999% of the posters on this board, of that I am sure.

You might be able to see a few elementary skills & some level of ability, that's about it. As far as how that player will project at the next level? No you have no idea, none of us do. Even professional coaches consistently miss. Be happy when we get a player the staff wants, especially players with other big time offers.

Oh yeah, another favorite. Player X has tremendous upside. That's always good for a laugh.

You're in big, big trouble when you start believing your own BS.

In Nunez's case, the staff landed a verbal from a player they wanted badly. If you get right down to it, what else is there to say?
Old 06-29-2014, 07:10 PM   #236
boowilliam4
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 400
boowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by conwaycock2 View Post
No, we should go back to 19-20 year old kids who somehow think they have the expertise to breakdown film on players. That crap never ceases to amaze me. It would be sad were it not so comical. Unless you have some high level of experience & training you have no idea what to even look for. I can tell you for a fact that I do not. Neither do 99.999% of the posters on this board, of that I am sure.

You might be able to see a few elementary skills & some level of ability, that's about it. As far as how that player will project at the next level? No you have no idea, none of us do. Even professional coaches consistently miss. Be happy when we get a player the staff wants, especially players with other big time offers.
Oh yeah, another favorite. Player X has tremendous upside. That's always good for a laugh.

You're in big, big trouble when you start believing your own BS.

In Nunez's case, the staff landed a verbal from a player they wanted badly. If you get right down to it, what else is there to say?

You sound upset man. IMO Some people have "decent" information on certain subjects while others come here just to talk nonsense (WestillownUSC), but isn't that the beauty of CockyTalk? It's nice to have a place to go where yourself and others can voice opinions on a variety of topics, regardless if they are recruiting experts or not. that being said, I did hear from a reliable source that Lorenzo Nunez has a tremendous upside.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:09 PM   #237
conwaycock2
Two Deep

Male

Some people have "decent" information on certain subjects while others come here just to talk nonsense (WestillownUSC), but isn't that the beauty of CockyTalk? It's nice to have a place to go where yourself and others can voice opinions on a variety of topics, regardless if they are recruiting experts or not

Exactly what was happening above. Sometimes these threads take a slight detour & I don't have any problem with that & we sure don't need an cockytalk Deputy Dog to keep everybody straight as long as people are acting respectful. I read things everyday on here that are of absolutely no interest to me. I just move on because they may be of interest to somebody else. Try it.

But we'll focus on Nunez, tell us something we don't know.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:11 PM   #238
bigduff32
Freshman All-American

Male

CockyCash: 200
bigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his comb

So... about this football recruit...
Old 06-29-2014, 11:35 PM   #239
Take-a-Knee
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 10000
Take-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot material

Watched Lorenzo's video , I'm impressed , looks like he knows the situation and what to do about it ..
Take-a-Knee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:39 AM   #240
Order 66
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Order 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take-a-Knee View Post
Watched Lorenzo's video , I'm impressed , looks like he knows the situation and what to do about it ..
But how do you remember Todd Ellis?