CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CockyLifer
IBleedGarnetandBlack
garnet_black215
Badazcock
b381l
18IsTheMan
GH
Cocks N Stuff
ccured
InletCock1989
How were the Aggie f (1486)
Heck of an atmospher (1032)
Priority #1: Teach T (857)
Kevin Sumlin Thought (794)
Ward's D has a patte (793)
great pic (736)
Step back from the l (669)
My outside view (625)
Taylor Swift has a m (514)
99 PROBLEMS... (477)
Kevin Sumlin Thoughts.
So, Dylan Thompson?
How far do we fall...
How were the Aggie fans a
Heck of an atmosphere
Will Gameday still come?
Here's a terrifying stat
Name a Gamecock
Play for next year
Predict the Season (After

Old 06-29-2014, 01:22 PM   #61
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 925
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material
Default Re: SEC Network getting nervous

The sooner that cable conpanies pick up the SEC Network, the better. Heck come to think about it, I wish there was some way to customize my cable as to where I would only get movie and sports channels. I don't give a rats azz about the Home shopping network and all the other shopping channels. I wish I could get rid of that crap.
FanofCarolina1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 02:52 PM   #62
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 4438416
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Sports is the only reason I have satellite. I am with direct and they have until the 14th of august as well or I am going back to dish
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 03:03 PM   #63
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccured View Post
Sports is the only reason I have satellite. I am with direct and they have until the 14th of august as well or I am going back to dish
Best thing to do is call and let them know. Everyone should, in fact.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:53 PM   #64
BlueHerons
4-Star

Female

BlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbeam View Post
I have a couple of nephews. They aren't interested in sports at all. They don't watch games unless someone else happens to be watching one. They don't even know big games are happening unless someone tells them.

My niece is the same way. On the other hand they can talk for hours about Xbox this or that or games that are coming out in the next year.

When they have friends over, the boys all have these game controllers they bring with them. Not sure what teenage girls do these days. They find some way to keep themselves occupied though.

Just saying things are changing. I, and strangely enough my mother are the only sports fans left in my family. The rest never watch anything unless we are over.

Those home shopping and cartoon channels get a lot more of a workout than ESPN does. Come to think of it, ESPN only gets watched when the gamecocks or a really big and interesting college football game is on. Even then I'm the one that turns it on.

Oh yeah, and except for college football that channel might as well not be there. Baseball, Basketball, anything else just never gets watched. Heck they watch 10 times as many hours of fishing shows as they do sports.

Wanted to add one more thing. Two of my nephews are in the early 20's. I'm not entirely sure they know college teams mainly play on Saturday. I'm also not sure they know what the ACC or SEC is. They just aren't interested.
Just because you think sports aren't important or are waning, doesn't mean it is true. The sports industry is a trillion dollar industry.

I live in South Florida and right now you can't leave your house without running into a World Cup party or a group taking over a restaurant. It is the only thing on tv right now followed by billions of people. Billions.
BlueHerons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 04:04 PM   #65
QueenCityCockFan
1/2-Star Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 400
QueenCityCockFan is crowing loudlyQueenCityCockFan is crowing loudlyQueenCityCockFan is crowing loudlyQueenCityCockFan is crowing loudlyQueenCityCockFan is crowing loudlyQueenCityCockFan is crowing loudlyQueenCityCockFan is crowing loudlyQueenCityCockFan is crowing loudlyQueenCityCockFan is crowing loudlyQueenCityCockFan is crowing loudlyQueenCityCockFan is crowing loudly
Send a message via Skype™ to QueenCityCockFan

Time Warner just alerted us that our TV/Internet would be raised from 160 to $200 a month. We decided we're dropping and as I speak the Dish guy is here setting up. So hello SEC Network.
Old 06-29-2014, 04:39 PM   #66
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 4438416
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
Best thing to do is call and let them know. Everyone should, in fact.
They have called me twice this month trying to sale me stuff. Contract is about up. I have told them both times I am not signing a new contract because of them not having sec network and I will be leaving if it isn't in place. Also have emailed and filled out the online survey petition thingie
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 04:39 PM   #67
Eutaw Kid
4-Star

Male

Eutaw Kid is making other chickens nervousEutaw Kid is making other chickens nervousEutaw Kid is making other chickens nervousEutaw Kid is making other chickens nervousEutaw Kid is making other chickens nervousEutaw Kid is making other chickens nervousEutaw Kid is making other chickens nervousEutaw Kid is making other chickens nervous

Will it cost extra to obtain the SECnetwork on Dish?
Eutaw Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:15 PM   #68
carolina_corpsman
Blue Chip

Male

carolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbeam View Post
I have a couple of nephews. They aren't interested in sports at all. They don't watch games unless someone else happens to be watching one. They don't even know big games are happening unless someone tells them.

My niece is the same way. On the other hand they can talk for hours about Xbox this or that or games that are coming out in the next year.

When they have friends over, the boys all have these game controllers they bring with them. Not sure what teenage girls do these days. They find some way to keep themselves occupied though.

Just saying things are changing. I, and strangely enough my mother are the only sports fans left in my family. The rest never watch anything unless we are over.

Those home shopping and cartoon channels get a lot more of a workout than ESPN does. Come to think of it, ESPN only gets watched when the gamecocks or a really big and interesting college football game is on. Even then I'm the one that turns it on.

Oh yeah, and except for college football that channel might as well not be there. Baseball, Basketball, anything else just never gets watched. Heck they watch 10 times as many hours of fishing shows as they do sports.

Wanted to add one more thing. Two of my nephews are in the early 20's. I'm not entirely sure they know college teams mainly play on Saturday. I'm also not sure they know what the ACC or SEC is. They just aren't interested.
And yet 80,000 people show up to every single home game. ..sports might not be important in your life/family. ... but it sure is in mine.
carolina_corpsman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:27 PM   #69
B-G
Bowl MVP

Male

B-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPit

Yea sunbeam I have no idea what you're talking about.

My brothers are 13 and 14 and watch every sport.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:42 PM   #70
johnnyb
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Male

CockyCash: 1706674488
johnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-G View Post
Yea sunbeam I have no idea what you're talking about.

My brothers are 13 and 14 and watch every sport.
I agree, sounds like a parenting fail to me...My 7yo and 4yo are already asking when Gamecock Football starts again

To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:57 PM   #71
B-G
Bowl MVP

Male

B-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
I agree, sounds like a parenting fail to me...My 7yo and 4yo are already asking when Gamecock Football starts again
I mean it's not just a gamecock thing.
That's easy, born and raised into a gamecock family even someone that is barely a sports fan knows gamecock football.

But just saying my teenage brothers are all over most big sports, yea they play video games too but they're paying attention what's going on in the sports world. (As are most their friends)
Old 06-29-2014, 10:51 PM   #72
Cocked & Locked
Recruit

Male

Cocked & Locked has developed his gaff and talonsCocked & Locked has developed his gaff and talonsCocked & Locked has developed his gaff and talonsCocked & Locked has developed his gaff and talonsCocked & Locked has developed his gaff and talonsCocked & Locked has developed his gaff and talonsCocked & Locked has developed his gaff and talonsCocked & Locked has developed his gaff and talonsCocked & Locked has developed his gaff and talonsCocked & Locked has developed his gaff and talonsCocked & Locked has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaCock View Post
Told by who? FiOS has made no agreement with SEC Network yet.
Well the girl at Sam's Club trying to sell Direct TV said that Direct TV was definitely getting it.

She first stopped me and asked if I heard about the exciting things happening in Sam's today. Usually I just say I already have direct tv and move on, but today I told her to tell me about it. She went thru her spill about all the channels I would get, how much better service they had and how they were so much better than the competition.

I then asked if Direct TV was going to have the SEC network and she said that it was definitely coming soon. I said really cause I haven't heard that they had reached an agreement on carrying it yet. She then told me that she had "inside information" and direct tv was definitely going to have the SEC network at the start of football season.

I then told her that I already had direct tv and she promptly turn and starting talking to someone else.

So according to her Direct TV will have the SEC Network - Yeah right.

Cocked & Locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 01:46 AM   #73
Toneski
Walk On

Male

Toneski is learning to peckToneski is learning to peck

C&L-
Read this article. It's from 6 months ago but you can tell by the quotes from the Direct TV guy and Direct's recent decisions with other sports programming that Direct may not sign on for the SEC Network. A lot of what Sunbeam was saying in this thread is mentioned in some of the quotes in the article. Sports programming is being subsidized by a bunch of people who don't watch it and at some point those customers will say "enough!"
http://m.deadline.com/2013/12/cable-...appen-in-2014/
Old 06-30-2014, 01:58 AM   #74
carolina_corpsman
Blue Chip

Male

carolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toneski View Post
C&L-
Read this article. It's from 6 months ago but you can tell by the quotes from the Direct TV guy and Direct's recent decisions with other sports programming that Direct may not sign on for the SEC Network. A lot of what Sunbeam was saying in this thread is mentioned in some of the quotes in the article. Sports programming is being subsidized by a bunch of people who don't watch it and at some point those customers will say "enough!"
Not sure if they meant that they were going to drop it, or offer a cheaper sports free package.
carolina_corpsman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 02:02 AM   #75
johnnyb
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Male

CockyCash: 1706674488
johnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toneski View Post
C&L-
they will pick it up and prob before the season starts. They may make it part of an additional sports/ent package above the basic package (like some carriers do with ESPN U and other "specialty" channels) if ESPN allows it. IMO they lose more customers by refusing to pay the price then they do by just jacking rates up $2-3 a subscriber to cover it.

To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:40 AM   #76
TerryP
4-Star

Male

TerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocked & Locked View Post
Well the girl at Sam's Club trying to sell Direct TV said that Direct TV was definitely getting it.

She first stopped me and asked if I heard about the exciting things happening in Sam's today. Usually I just say I already have direct tv and move on, but today I told her to tell me about it. She went thru her spill about all the channels I would get, how much better service they had and how they were so much better than the competition.

I then asked if Direct TV was going to have the SEC network and she said that it was definitely coming soon. I said really cause I haven't heard that they had reached an agreement on carrying it yet. She then told me that she had "inside information" and direct tv was definitely going to have the SEC network at the start of football season.

I then told her that I already had direct tv and she promptly turn and starting talking to someone else.

So according to her Direct TV will have the SEC Network - Yeah right.

Look for an announcement in about two, maybe three weeks about DirectTV carrying the SECN.

I'm with U-verse, so there's no worries on my end. However, I personally heard one of their management say "DTV was going to be the only carrier of SECN in HD." The others were only offering standard definition at its launch.

-----

You know, awfulannouncing.com needs a mention on awfulreporting.com (if there were such a site.)

A SEC rep mentions "it's alarming a deal isn't done with Charter" talking specifically about the Birmingham market and that's turned into the SEC Network is nervous about...
TerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:27 AM   #77
Toneski
Walk On

Male

Toneski is learning to peckToneski is learning to peck

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
The problem with this is the content providers won't allow it, and if they did in the current pricing structure (on the content provider/cable-sat company side) say only 20% wanted the sports package, you would be paying as much for just that as you do now for the full package.
Hey Johnny - you need to expound on that.

Some people don't realize that little old ladies with basic cable and no interest in ESPN are subsidizing are cost for ESPN. If all channels are a la carte, the little old ladies drop their $5.00 a month payment for ESPN. That means those of us who want ESPN would be paying much more than $5.00 a month for it a la carte.

I've read articles that say from a football lover's standpoint who watches almost no TV except football and thinks "if only I could pay for just the channels I want", that an a la carte scenario would not reduce the monthly bill all that much....especially once a few more channels are added to the bill like news and major networks.

I don't watch a lot of those specialized cable channels much like BIO and E, but it's nice having them there for the occasional distraction, these channels add little to our total bill from what I understand.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:25 AM   #78
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryP View Post
Look for an announcement in about two, maybe three weeks about DirectTV carrying the SECN.

I'm with U-verse, so there's no worries on my end. However, I personally heard one of their management say "DTV was going to be the only carrier of SECN in HD." The others were only offering standard definition at its launch.

-----

You know, awfulannouncing.com needs a mention on awfulreporting.com (if there were such a site.)

A SEC rep mentions "it's alarming a deal isn't done with Charter" talking specifically about the Birmingham market and that's turned into the SEC Network is nervous about...

THANK YOU! I have said it before and you're the first to actually point it out too: that quote is taken out of context for sensational purposes.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:46 AM   #79
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

I will make a prediction for you optimists. Direct TV, Charter, and Time Warner will not have the SEC Network by the time the season starts. In fact, I predict they will not pick it up until 2/3 the way through this upcoming football season. The more the pain, the greater the chance that one or the other of the two sides will compromise. Thus, it is in those providers interest to hold out well into the season.

These people are national in scope. They don't care about our regional interest in SEC football. SEC fans are a relatively small segment of the market and they will not buy the SEC Network until they realize they have lost a large market share of the southeast, and that their advertising buyers are migrating to Dish.

If you call, you will hear them say that they cannot buy it because it would raise the price for all of their subscribers, including subscribers in DeMoines.

Sorry to be the bringer of bad tidings. I recommend you switch now if you wish to watch the A&M game.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:51 AM   #80
Gamecock1983
I kill threads.

Male

CockyCash: 10204
Gamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
I will make a prediction for you optimists. Direct TV, Charter, and Time Warner will not have the SEC Network by the time the season starts. In fact, I predict they will not pick it up until 2/3 the way through this upcoming football season. The more the pain, the greater the chance that one or the other of the two sides will compromise. Thus, it is in those providers interest to hold out well into the season.

These people are national in scope. They don't care about our regional interest in SEC football. SEC fans are a relatively small segment of the market and they will not buy the SEC Network until they realize they have lost a large market share of the southeast, and that their advertising buyers are migrating to Dish.

If you call, you will hear them say that they cannot buy it because it would raise the price for all of their subscribers, including subscribers in DeMoines.

Sorry to be the bringer of bad tidings. I recommend you switch now if you wish to watch the A&M game.
Well, let's raise those good people's rate and give them access to quality SEC football too, lol.

I think you're right...a few of these providers are going to hold out, or offer a separate subscription to access. I don't see it joining regular cable packages.