CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CockyLifer
IBleedGarnetandBlack
b381l
GabbieM
NinjaSven
Gyle41386
kingofnerf
Acockolypse Now
WeStillOwnUSC
zcoop
So, Dylan Thompson? (5356)
Confused fan here. (3769)
Is anybody still opt (3568)
Here's a terrifying (2601)
Predict the Season ( (2411)
Acock's Wrap Up: TAM (1876)
Could Mike Davis Be (1258)
How were the Aggie f (1181)
David Williams?? (1131)
This says it all. (992)
So, Dylan Thompson?
Well, there's still women
Is anybody still optimist
Could Mike Davis Be Back
Acock's Wrap Up: TAMU
Confused fan here. Why i
How were the Aggie fans a
Kevin Sumlin Thoughts.
Here's a terrifying stat
Predict the Season (After

Old 06-27-2014, 03:03 PM   #41
TerryP
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
TerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervous
Default Re: Most important game for UofSC in 2014?

Reading these responses I'm left with a few thoughts—partly influenced by the past.

I don't know what to draw from how the game against UGA tells me. I think about that game in 2011 when your team scored in the mid 40's. It led me to think the offense was going to be dynamic that season. If I recall correctly, there were about half of the SEC games where the team failed to break 20.

Jump to the following season and the offense's production in the UGA game mirrored that of most of the other SEC games that season.

A&M is a game I can see answering some of the questions I've seen mentioned in other threads. It should test the defense. But what does it answer about the offense? If the defense the Aggies field is as porous as it was last year, how does that factor in for importance? Do they present enough of a challenge so you can see improvement from week one to week two, and week three?

I didn't realize UF was the last conference game of the season as CoverTwo mentions. When I think about that, along when when both teams catch their western division opponents (UF's is their fourth conference game) it paints an interesting picture. Florida could drop two of their three SEC games in November—all divisional teams. You've got two conference games in November—both divisional as well.

The open week before traveling to Gainesville comes at an ideal time.
TerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 03:50 PM   #42
Gamecocks1137
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 300
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-G View Post
Just stop.
OK then, feed the troll.
Gamecocks1137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 04:00 PM   #43
qcgamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryP View Post
In their continuing off-season articles on the SEC, ESPN has been listing what they consider to be the most important games for each team for the 2014 season.

They've covered a few teams so far. They've listed UT's most important game as Mizzou, Vandy's as Ole Miss, and A&M's versus the Gamecocks.

Thursday afternoon they released their thoughts on which game is the most important for South Carolina; Florida on Nov. 15th.

In the last part of that write-up one sentence caught my attention, "Chances are the winner from the East won't have less than two losses heading into the last couple of weeks of the season." This is an opinion I'm inclined to believe. However, it also gives me reason to also believe the Florida game isn't the most important.

Assuming they are correct and every team in the SEC east has two losses, wouldn't that make the game against Auburn most important? In the SEC tie-breaker rules a loss to a cross-divisional opponent carries more weight.

The only thing I can come up with supporting their opinion is they're also anticipating UF with a loss to a western division team. BUT, they don't say that (and haven't released UF's most important game.)

In your SEC schedule, which team do you consider to be the most important opponent for 2014?
The 7th step in determining a 2 team tie and the 8th step in determining a 3 team tie is cross divisional record, you are wrong bama the tie breaker system goes head to head and then divisional record! As usual the first SEC game is most important, tx a&m and then on to the next victim!
qcgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 04:35 PM   #44
YouCanNeverTell
Game MVP

Male

YouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot material

All SEC-E games are of equal importance, SEC-W just a little less, then Furman and S Alabama, and lastly Clemson.

Winning the SEC is always my priority. So conference games are always more important than non conference. I put Clemson last because if we are undefeated and lose to them but go on to win the SEC I think we still would make the playoffs. If we lose to Furman or SA that lose brings us down a lot more.
YouCanNeverTell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 04:44 PM   #45
TerryP
4-Star

Male

TerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcgamecock View Post
The 7th step in determining a 2 team tie and the 8th step in determining a 3 team tie is cross divisional record, you are wrong bama the tie breaker system goes head to head and then divisional record! As usual the first SEC game is most important, tx a&m and then on to the next victim!
Not exactly.

There are only seven tie-breakers in place if two teams are tied which is the scenario I was considering. There are eight when it's three teams tied. In both cases the non-divisional opponent comes into play in the third tiebreaker.

I should have been more clear in my original post. No doubt.

That ESPN article mentions two conference losses for the east and I can see a three way tie for the division. The Dawgs share a common opponent in Auburn. The Gators don't have a common opponent with your team or the Dawgs.

As I'm reading these previews I'm seeing all three with a non-divisional loss and both your team and UGA have Auburn. I don't have faith in UGA enough to say they'll win that game; even if it is in Sanford Stadium.

I haven't any reason to think you'll lose to A&M. I just don't see that happening. I don't think UGA beats UF this season.

So, UGA is out with the loss to UF—head to head tiebreaker.

That leaves UofSC and UGA. Both play Auburn. A win there for the 'Cocks and it's ATL. THAT's my thinking on why it would be the most important game.

NOW, if it's a three way tie and UF wins your game? OH BOY...there's the wrench in the works!!

-----------

For reference (and I could easily be getting lost in different scenarios.)

A. TWO-TEAM TIE

1. Head-to-head competition between the two tied teams.
2. Records of the tied teams within the division.
3. Head-to-head competition vs. the team within the division with the best overall record (divisional and non-divisional) Conference record and proceeding through the division. Multiple ties within the division will be broken from first to last.
4. Overall record vs. all common non-divisional opponents.
5. Combined record vs. all common non-divisional teams.
6. Record vs. common non-divisional team with the best overall Conference (divisional and non-divisional) record and proceeding through other common non-divisional teams based on their order of finish within their division.
7. The tied team with the highest ranking in the Bowl Championship Series Standings following the last weekend of regular-season games shall be the divisional representative in the SEC Championship Game.

B. THREE (OR MORE) TEAM TIE

1. (Once the tie has been reduced to two teams, go to the two-team tie-breaker format.)
2. Combined head-to-head record among the tied teams.
3. Record of the tied teams within the division.
4. Head-to-head competition vs. the team within the division with the best overall (divisional and non-divisional) Conference record and proceeding through the division. Multiple ties within the division will be broken from first to last.
5. Overall record vs. non-division teams.
6. Combined record vs. all common non-divisional teams.
7. Record vs. common non-divisional team with the best overall Conference (divisional and non-divisional) record and proceeding through other common non-divisional teams based on their order of finish within their division.
8. The tied team with the highest ranking in the Bowl Championship Series Standings following the last weekend of regular-season games shall be the divisional representative in the SEC Championship Game, unless the second of the tied teams is ranked within five-or-fewer places of the highest ranked tied team. In this case, the head-to-head results of the top two ranked tied teams shall determine the representative in the SEC Championship Game.
TerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 05:16 PM   #46
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

The National Championship Game.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 07:07 PM   #47
Rooster'srule
Blue Chip

Male

Rooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by vthokies View Post
A&M

No one really knows what to expect out of them. It will be a completely different team without Johnny. Everyone will be watching to see if they fall flat on their faces.

Im still picking Carolina to win @ home
We will beat A&M. They have NO D and a brand new QB and they are playing in our house. More than likely we will have first half jitters and Spurrier will call an awful half but come the second half we dominate.
Rooster'srule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 07:18 PM   #48
Rebel4ever
The Paradigm Shift

Male

Rebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot material

Right now the first conference game and that's the first game. We got to start 1-0 in SEC, then the Georgia game, win that then Auburn is the biggest. We we beat them, then Florida, we win those 4 games, we go undefeated cause I don't see another game we should lose. Our offense is going to be vicious this year. I expect to move the ball and score points this year. We'll more offensive minded this year than defensive minded the way we have the last 4-5 seasons.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:37 PM   #49
TAFC 5 1981
Blue Chip

Male

TAFC 5 1981 rules the CockPitTAFC 5 1981 rules the CockPitTAFC 5 1981 rules the CockPitTAFC 5 1981 rules the CockPitTAFC 5 1981 rules the CockPitTAFC 5 1981 rules the CockPitTAFC 5 1981 rules the CockPitTAFC 5 1981 rules the CockPitTAFC 5 1981 rules the CockPitTAFC 5 1981 rules the CockPitTAFC 5 1981 rules the CockPit

1. UGA I think for obvious reasons (SEC E). 2. FL since a loss could hurt your division standings. 3. Clemson: if they are ranked and you beat us it helps. If you pull a 2008 it could hurt your playoff chances.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:56 PM   #50
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 749
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster'srule View Post
We will beat A&M. They have NO D and a brand new QB and they are playing in our house. More than likely we will have first half jitters and Spurrier will call an awful half but come the second half we dominate.
I would count on their D being better this year. They have no where to go but up.

My guess:

USC 31
A&M 20
Old 06-27-2014, 08:47 PM   #51
Carolinafan8908
Walk On

Male

Carolinafan8908 has developed his gaff and talonsCarolinafan8908 has developed his gaff and talonsCarolinafan8908 has developed his gaff and talonsCarolinafan8908 has developed his gaff and talonsCarolinafan8908 has developed his gaff and talonsCarolinafan8908 has developed his gaff and talonsCarolinafan8908 has developed his gaff and talonsCarolinafan8908 has developed his gaff and talonsCarolinafan8908 has developed his gaff and talonsCarolinafan8908 has developed his gaff and talonsCarolinafan8908 has developed his gaff and talons

The next game on the schedule. Case in point, Tennessee last year, they ALL count!
Old 06-27-2014, 09:36 PM   #52
RudeCock
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 250000
RudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot material

The one we play in the championship game.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:37 PM   #53
fridayserv
Recruit

Male

fridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervous

Texas A&M by far. This is the first game without Shaw, Clowney, Quarles, Sutton, Legree, Hampton, Patrick who are all in the NFL. This will be the reload gamecocks that will shock the CF world how good they will be. Additionally, the new CB's question will be answered. By the time we play Florida, the game will be determined by injury to key players.
fridayserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 11:40 PM   #54
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 58166
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

Georgia, then probably Florida
Old 06-27-2014, 11:53 PM   #55
uscgamecocks88
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talons

Hard to say but Georgia, Auburn, and Florida will be the games that define the season. I will be pleased if we go 2-1 among those teams.
uscgamecocks88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 12:15 AM   #56
YouCanNeverTell
Game MVP

Male

YouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot material

I'm just so damn ready for the season to start it's not even funny. The World Cup is helping a little bit but I'm ready for some meaningful sports action. The MLB season is just too dang long to get really excited about games.
YouCanNeverTell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 01:12 AM   #57
uscgamecocks88
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouCanNeverTell View Post
I'm just so damn ready for the season to start it's not even funny. The World Cup is helping a little bit but I'm ready for some meaningful sports action. The MLB season is just too dang long to get really excited about games.
Espn U provides some relief with ranking the best games but I'm with you man. I'm ready for kickoff!
uscgamecocks88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:19 AM   #58
qcgamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryP View Post
Not exactly.

There are only seven tie-breakers in place if two teams are tied which is the scenario I was considering. There are eight when it's three teams tied. In both cases the non-divisional opponent comes into play in the third tiebreaker.

I should have been more clear in my original post. No doubt.

That ESPN article mentions two conference losses for the east and I can see a three way tie for the division. The Dawgs share a common opponent in Auburn. The Gators don't have a common opponent with your team or the Dawgs.

As I'm reading these previews I'm seeing all three with a non-divisional loss and both your team and UGA have Auburn. I don't have faith in UGA enough to say they'll win that game; even if it is in Sanford Stadium.

I haven't any reason to think you'll lose to A&M. I just don't see that happening. I don't think UGA beats UF this season.

So, UGA is out with the loss to UF—head to head tiebreaker.

That leaves UofSC and UGA. Both play Auburn. A win there for the 'Cocks and it's ATL. THAT's my thinking on why it would be the most important game.

NOW, if it's a three way tie and UF wins your game? OH BOY...there's the wrench in the works!!

-----------

For reference (and I could easily be getting lost in different scenarios.)

A. TWO-TEAM TIE

1. Head-to-head competition between the two tied teams.
2. Records of the tied teams within the division.
3. Head-to-head competition vs. the team within the division with the best overall record (divisional and non-divisional) Conference record and proceeding through the division. Multiple ties within the division will be broken from first to last.
4. Overall record vs. all common non-divisional opponents.
5. Combined record vs. all common non-divisional teams.
6. Record vs. common non-divisional team with the best overall Conference (divisional and non-divisional) record and proceeding through other common non-divisional teams based on their order of finish within their division.
7. The tied team with the highest ranking in the Bowl Championship Series Standings following the last weekend of regular-season games shall be the divisional representative in the SEC Championship Game.

B. THREE (OR MORE) TEAM TIE

1. (Once the tie has been reduced to two teams, go to the two-team tie-breaker format.)
2. Combined head-to-head record among the tied teams.
3. Record of the tied teams within the division.
4. Head-to-head competition vs. the team within the division with the best overall (divisional and non-divisional) Conference record and proceeding through the division. Multiple ties within the division will be broken from first to last.
5. Overall record vs. non-division teams.
6. Combined record vs. all common non-divisional teams.
7. Record vs. common non-divisional team with the best overall Conference (divisional and non-divisional) record and proceeding through other common non-divisional teams based on their order of finish within their division.
8. The tied team with the highest ranking in the Bowl Championship Series Standings following the last weekend of regular-season games shall be the divisional representative in the SEC Championship Game, unless the second of the tied teams is ranked within five-or-fewer places of the highest ranked tied team. In this case, the head-to-head results of the top two ranked tied teams shall determine the representative in the SEC Championship Game.
I'm pretty sure this changed with no BCS this year...
qcgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 11:14 PM   #59
lake-cityCOCK89
Two Deep

Male

lake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPit

Georgia. If you lose then you're playing behind all year. Win and you have wiggle room.

See 2013 for more details.

The real answer is all of the east games. You can't lose more than 2 and win it. There will be parody this year as well. I wouldn't be surprised to see 6/7 east teams make a bowl this year.

WINNING

As easy as playing a Big 10 Team.
lake-cityCOCK89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 11:54 PM   #60
Spartan
Blue Chip

Male

Spartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudly

My vote is for UofAuburn. The tigers of Alabama have always given USC trouble. In fact, I'm not sure we have more than one win over them. If that. Ever. We know Auburn will be good, and we know from personal experience that Ellis Johnson is a hell of a defensive coordinator. That will be a marquee win for Carolina.

Florida is always tough but we've managed to handle them more often than not over the past few years so I'm slightly less concerned about that one.

Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote