CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
Master Bedroom
garnet_black215
GamecockSuperFan
CockyRyan
Gamecocks1137
Regalcock
MWard
WeStillOwnUSC
nodnahs
Clemson Recruiting.. (3089)
Gamecocks (-10.5) vs (1535)
Ranking the Opposing (1373)
Not a Rival.. (1041)
Clowney Spares RB Bi (1020)
Gamecock Coaches as (930)
NCAA Football 15 (561)
Hello Gamecocks! (476)
Marching band (413)
COCKYTALK ONE HIT WO (287)
Website Design Help
Clowney Spares RB Big Hit
John Rocker at rock botto
Clemson Recruiting...how
Galaxy vs Seatle
Marching band
Name a Gamecock
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Hello Gamecocks!
2015 - Ty'Son Williams

Old 07-01-2014, 02:43 PM   #1801
COCKYTALKIN
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 24390296
COCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot material
Default Re: Official World Cup 2014 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
Believe what you want, but there are some things you can't teach and can't gain through practice, like being 6'5", 270 and still being able to run a 4.5. I do not believe EVERY SINGLE athlete that made it in this sport would make it in another, I am saying that if you had guys with that ceiling of athletic ability in an environment that promoted soccer above everything else, you would see more of them go that route and do very well. It's my opinion, but not one that several others don't share:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/josephbernst...ccer-wed-win-e

That is a fun little take on the starting lineup of some of our best athletes. He makes a good point about Calvin Johnson being a goalie. Check out his SportsScience video:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=7636597

"...from a standing start, Megatron can cover an area of about 4000 cubic feet, that's the largest range we've ever analyzed and the space of a typical 2 car garage." (Basically he can cover more than cover an entire soccer goal from a standing position)

Of course you can argue that his hand eye coordination, jumping ability, etc. etc. etc. would only help him on a football field and on no other sports surface, but I consider that to be, well, sheer nonsense as you put it. That doesn't mean he can play ALL sports, and I'm not saying that. Maybe he can't swing a club or a bat. But if your job is to stop a ball from getting past you, he's got ALL of the physical tools to be the absolute best at that and there isn't even a close second.
Little warning about the eagle-rection spewing patriotism would have been nice.

Funny thing is we have a tendency to produce top tier GK's already. I'm sticking with Deion, no man on this planet could stay in step with that cat. He would only require mediocre ball skills with his speed, same requirement in the NFL.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:43 PM   #1802
SR4-AJ1
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 9708333
SR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talons

Argentina looking pedestrian again vs the Swiss. If you can contain messi you can contain Argentina (much like Portugal).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-01-2014, 02:47 PM   #1803
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 575
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR4-AJ1 View Post
Argentina looking pedestrian again vs the Swiss. If you can contain messi you can contain Argentina (much like Portugal).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes but Messi is much more dangerous than Ronaldo and has actually shown up in this World Cup. Unlike Ronaldo, he can win a match by himself. Messi also tries to make his team better and involve them rather than whine and complain because his teammates don't get him the ball enough.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:49 PM   #1804
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by COCKYTALKIN View Post
Little warning about the eagle-rection spewing patriotism would have been nice.

Funny thing is we have a tendency to produce top tier GK's already. I'm sticking with Deion, no man on this planet could stay in step with that cat. He would only require mediocre ball skills with his speed, same requirement in the NFL.
I am not sure what you are referring to, I didn't see anything that was NSFW. If you did I apologize as I certainly try not to look at that stuff myself, much less link it to others.
Old 07-01-2014, 03:00 PM   #1805
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

I BELIEVE THAT WE WILL WIN

Drink Cocktane!

For the latest in USC coverage, check out:

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:15 PM   #1806
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

And THIS is why Ronaldo can't even hold Messi's jockstrap. Messi makes his team better and he scores. Assist in stoppage time - Argentina leads the Swiss 1-0!
Old 07-01-2014, 03:17 PM   #1807
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Swiss goalkeeper tries a bicycle kick. Swiss have a header off the post, crashing the goal in desperation!
Old 07-01-2014, 03:18 PM   #1808
IBleedGarnetandBlack
never begs for rep.

Male

CockyCash: 76859832125
IBleedGarnetandBlack is USC mascot materialIBleedGarnetandBlack is USC mascot materialIBleedGarnetandBlack is USC mascot materialIBleedGarnetandBlack is USC mascot materialIBleedGarnetandBlack is USC mascot materialIBleedGarnetandBlack is USC mascot materialIBleedGarnetandBlack is USC mascot materialIBleedGarnetandBlack is USC mascot materialIBleedGarnetandBlack is USC mascot materialIBleedGarnetandBlack is USC mascot materialIBleedGarnetandBlack is USC mascot material

Knockout Stage
Round of 16QuartersSemisFinalSemisQuartersRound of 16
Brazil     Netherlands
6/28  Final  6/29
ChileBrazil TBD NetherlandsMexico
 7/4 @ 4:00pm 7/13 @ 3:00pm 7/5 @ 4:00pm
ColombiaColombia TBD Costa RicaCosta Rica
6/28     6/29
Uruguay TBD TBD Greece
  7/8 @ 4:00pm 7/9 @ 4:00pm 
France TBD TBD Argentina
6/30     7/1
NigeriaFrance 3rd Place Game ArgentinaSwitzerland
 7/4 @ 12:00pm TBD 7/5 @ 12:00pm
GermanyGermany 7/12 @ 4:00pm TBDBelgium
6/30  TBD  7/1 @ 4:00pm
Algeria     USA

Old 07-01-2014, 03:23 PM   #1809
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

4 of 7 knockout round matches have gone to extra time, 2 to penalty kicks!

#1 seed from each group has advanced to the quarters in all 7 matches. Will it happen again or will the US break that streak?
Old 07-01-2014, 03:27 PM   #1810
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1044
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscjeremynca View Post
4 of 7 knockout round matches have gone to extra time, 2 to penalty kicks!

#1 seed from each group has advanced to the quarters in all 7 matches. Will it happen again or will the US break that streak?
I believe, we will break the streak!!!
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:28 PM   #1811
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

From JK, Altidore will not start.
Old 07-01-2014, 03:34 PM   #1812
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1044
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Thanks for that info, Jeremy.

I hope we score first and often and allow Altidore to get more rest. However, I expect to see him at the beginning of the second half.
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:40 PM   #1813
cock13
An illusion, Michael

Male

CockyCash: 51250
cock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot material

If we play really well today, we'll get the opportunity to let Messi do that to us on the 5th. He's absurd.
Old 07-01-2014, 03:42 PM   #1814
Biocockanics
WMD

Male

CockyCash: 317
Biocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot material

We're running a 4-3-3 today

Biocockanics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:44 PM   #1815
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

I know i am in the minority, but zusi and Jones should not start

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:48 PM   #1816
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

More aggressive attacking formation. Be interesting to see how this turns out

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:51 PM   #1817
Biocockanics
WMD

Male

CockyCash: 317
Biocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot material

Really this is a lineup designed to attack and then defend. Cameron in at midfield? I hate that. I hope I'm wrong.

IN essence we're going to look like a 4-2-1-3 again....but with 2 CDMs---Jones and Cameron and a CAM in Bradley letting Johnson make constant attacking runs.

With Zusi, Johnson and Bedoya making runs up and down the sidelines I HOPE we get an early goal or two

Hazard has yet to show out...I hope he continues to disappoint...

Last edited by Biocockanics; 07-01-2014 at 04:26 PM.
Biocockanics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 04:01 PM   #1818
COCKYTALKIN
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 24390296
COCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscjeremynca View Post
And THIS is why Ronaldo can't even hold Messi's jockstrap. Messi makes his team better and he scores. Assist in stoppage time - Argentina leads the Swiss 1-0!
Didn't Ronaldo end their final game on an assist?
Old 07-01-2014, 04:02 PM   #1819
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

I just saw that Cameron and Gonzalez are starting. Here's what I think we are doing.

Cameron will serve as a defensive midfielder. Why Cameron over Beckerman? I can only guess it's due to the size of Belgium. They have some guys that are just giants. I'm sure Cameron will drop back and we will crowd and the box and put big men in there when they have headers.

I don't really see this as an attacking formation. Just because it shows as a 4-3-3 doesn't mean it will run like one. I expect Zusi or Bedoya to drop back a little to a midfield role as Cameron drops back to create 5 in the back line. I think Bradley may push up a little to try and create more. I see creating chances through the midfield but I don't see Zusi or Bedoya attacking.

This is a defensive formation with a counter attacking front set which will be set up with passing.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:02 PM   #1820
markp_vip
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 6001866
markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material

Hope I'm wrong but that personnel grouping is looking alot like a 5-4-1, defend, defend, defend and hope to hit them on a counter.
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day.
markp_vip is offline   Reply With Quote