CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
robgusc76
B-G
Big Spur
SMOTFS86
Sandstorm29
The Yancey
kingofnerf
rabid cock
doubledribble
**USC vs. Coker GAME (3285)
2014 Subway Classic: (1608)
aTm demolishes Kyle (738)
Cocky at the Duck Co (712)
Ali Hospitalized Wit (625)
Really, REALLY glad (559)
Deer Hunting 2014 (374)
movers, furniture do (307)
Happy Winter Solstic (276)
Streaming nfl games (264)
QB Next Season?
2014 Subway Classic:**USC
Connor to be backup?
**USC vs. Coker GAME Thre
official UFC thread. (new
Props to Eric Hyman. Than
Ali Hospitalized With Pne
Question for those who ha
Really, REALLY glad he's
BEST GAMECOCK FOOTBALL PL

Old 07-01-2014, 10:51 AM   #21
A. Pilgrim
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
A. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot material
Default Re: New Trophy with Texas A&M

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
I am fairly certain you badly misread that. It was William Travis who was identified as having the baggage, and it wasn't "freeing slaves" it was capturing runaway slaves and leaving his wife that made people shy away.

So...
Whoops!

Yeah, I read it late last night, and apparently I was WAY off

so, yeah...capturing runaway slaves, that's pretty f'ed up stuff.

Thanks for the correction!
A. Pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:01 AM   #22
SECgamecock453
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 15800
SECgamecock453 is USC mascot materialSECgamecock453 is USC mascot materialSECgamecock453 is USC mascot materialSECgamecock453 is USC mascot materialSECgamecock453 is USC mascot materialSECgamecock453 is USC mascot materialSECgamecock453 is USC mascot materialSECgamecock453 is USC mascot materialSECgamecock453 is USC mascot materialSECgamecock453 is USC mascot materialSECgamecock453 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to SECgamecock453

Also, what the hell are we now the Big 10 where every game has a damn trophy?

SECgamecock453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:08 AM   #23
A. Pilgrim
Two Deep

Male

A. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECgamecock453 View Post
Also, what the hell are we now the Big 10 where every game has a damn trophy?
"GET OFF MY LAWN!!!"

What the hell, are you one of these people who just likes to bitch about anything?
Old 07-01-2014, 11:08 AM   #24
SECgamecock453
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

SECgamecock453 is USC mascot materialSECgamecock453 is USC mascot materialSECgamecock453 is USC mascot materialSECgamecock453 is USC mascot materialSECgamecock453 is USC mascot materialSECgamecock453 is USC mascot materialSECgamecock453 is USC mascot materialSECgamecock453 is USC mascot materialSECgamecock453 is USC mascot materialSECgamecock453 is USC mascot materialSECgamecock453 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Pilgrim View Post
"GET OFF MY LAWN!!!"

What the hell, are you one of these people who just likes to bitch about anything?
I'm just saying how I feel.... I think it's dumb especially since Missouri and Texas A&M are forced rivalries.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:12 AM   #25
A. Pilgrim
Two Deep

Male

Quote:
I'm just saying how I feel.... I think it's dumb especially since Missouri and Texas A&M are forced rivalries.

I'll let you in on a little secret...

All of those other rivalries with a trophy? Someone came up with those trophies...they didn't appear magically, or grow out of the ground...
Old 07-01-2014, 11:14 AM   #26
SECgamecock453
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Pilgrim View Post
I'll let you in on a little secret...

All of those other rivalries with a trophy? Someone came up with those trophies...they didn't appear magically, or grow out of the ground...
No sh!t, but those teams also have always been geographically closer together and overall more similar. A lot of blue collar cities up there or at least they used to be. I mean if Missouri wasn't also in Columbia, I doubt there would be a trophy. That's called FORCED, there is absolutely no meaning behind it. At least the Big 10 trophies have history and significance. This is just grasping at straws.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:20 AM   #27
A. Pilgrim
Two Deep

Male

Quote:
No sh!t, but those teams also have always been geographically closer together and overall more similar. A lot of blue collar cities up there or at least they used to be. I mean if Missouri wasn't also in Columbia, I doubt there would be a trophy. That's called FORCED, there is absolutely no meaning behind it. At least the Big 10 trophies have history and significance. This is just grasping at straws.

There are a lot of rivalries across the country that are accepted as 'natural' that are not geographically adjacent to one another.

Some people just want something you complain about.
You appear to be one of those people.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:31 AM   #28
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 94340
MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material

Quote:
I agree with this. The Mayor's Cup came from both schools being in the cities of Columbia AND the SEC is trying to find ways of creating acceptance an intrigue for the new members.

-Abo Swinney, April 23, 2014

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...steve-spurrier
MWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:32 AM   #29
Rooster'srule
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
Rooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Not sure "forced" is the correct adjective...maybe arbitrary...but these guys are good football teams with good histories, etc. I don't think we are leaving the SEC nor do I think they will...so playing them for the forseeable future and beyond is a real possibility so in the long run I am sure these match ups will be great rivalries and exciting, tough games. I see your point tho the SEC did kind of choose these game for us and there is no real history right now. When we played Missu in the bowl game I remember thinking I am glad we get a chance to play these guys and wanted to play a lot of other teams that we didn't normally play. It was great when we played USCw and Mich., etc. back in the 80s
Rooster'srule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:51 AM   #30
CockyFanForLife
Recruit

Female

CockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPit

When I was in Carolina, I dated a boy named Brian Bonham and later shared an apartment with a girl named Margaret Bonham. Both were related to James Butler Bonham. Margaret's dad posed for a statue of Bonham in Texas. It would be interesting to see how many of the family went to USC and somehow tie that into the trophy presentation/hype.
CockyFanForLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:56 PM   #31
uscsandstorm85
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPit

I like how our series with Mizzou and A&M are taking off.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:05 PM   #32
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Let's face it, Texas A&M has traditions coming out of the wazoo. Their tradition seems to be making up traditions as they go. Which is cool and all I guess. It doesn't surprise me at all that they want to start something like this, and good for it I say. The rest of the SEC doesn't really like us, we are some of the newer kids and maybe we can all just go tell the rest to pound sand.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:06 PM   #33
ReadR00ster
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1220
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

These trophies are dumb. We don't need to be trying to start traditions because this conference is still in a process of major change. We might not bet playing A&M every year for long.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 01:39 PM   #34
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

CockyCash: 415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
These trophies are dumb. We don't need to be trying to start traditions because this conference is still in a process of major change. We might not bet playing A&M every year for long.

Not sure what it hurts.

Back in 1996 LSU and Arky "forced" a trophy. Now it is part of the tradition.

I like it.

Old 07-01-2014, 01:43 PM   #35
conwaycock2
Starter

Male

conwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nureye View Post
Not sure what it hurts.

Back in 1996 LSU and Arky "forced" a trophy. Now it is part of the tradition.

I like it.

Border states, but I agree nothing here to get excited about one way or the other. The trophy will be an after thought.
conwaycock2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 02:24 PM   #36
wildwes
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 490
wildwes has earned his spurswildwes has earned his spurswildwes has earned his spurswildwes has earned his spurswildwes has earned his spurswildwes has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster'srule View Post
I forget who started the idea of the Palmetto Tree and Moon for a replacement of the Hardees Trophy...I thought he said he was going to make a sticky thread for it....he put it on facebook etc. Time to bring it back up and promote it again
There is already a sticky in Cockpit about Palmetto Tree and Crescent iidea.

http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=193123
Old 07-01-2014, 02:39 PM   #37
Rooster'srule
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
Rooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwes View Post
There is already a sticky in Cockpit about Palmetto Tree and Crescent iidea.

http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=193123
Thanks I thought he said he was going to do that. I can look right at sumpthen and not see it.
Rooster'srule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 02:44 PM   #38
davidmc467
Little Engine That Could

Male

davidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot material

Some of you are no fun.

Old 07-01-2014, 04:26 PM   #39
ReadR00ster
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1220
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by conwaycock2 View Post
Border states, but I agree nothing here to get excited about one way or the other. The trophy will be an after thought.
I'm not excited. I just thinking it's stupid to get a trophy just for winning one reular season game. It's a tradition? Okay, it's a stupid tradition.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 04:45 PM   #40
spareparts
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000509
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post
No, it's his son Jason

That's the guy from Shudder To Think???
spareparts is offline   Reply With Quote