CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
NAGamecockFan
johnnyb
taylorssc
Lonnie
Gamecocks321
doubledribble
GarnetSwarm1990
gadeneer1986
ReadR00ster
So Disappointed With (2383)
Rank the QBs under S (1636)
Back like cooked cra (1222)
Tennessee game (777)
Who start on the d l (687)
No Comments on the H (572)
Google finally gets (471)
lack of production= (377)
NFL: CHARGERS @ BRON (212)
Gameday parking in A (149)
Why I think we beat Aubur
SEC Debate: Best candidat
No Comments on the Holes?
So Disappointed With The
Tennessee game
Back like cooked crack
Rank the QBs under Spurri
Which loss hurt worse, Mi
Texas athletic director:
Roll call for Auburn

Old 07-01-2014, 06:14 PM   #41
Spurrier_Superior_One
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 26397596
Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material
Default Re: New Trophy with Texas A&M

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Pilgrim View Post
There are a lot of rivalries across the country that are accepted as 'natural' that are not geographically adjacent to one another.

Some people just want something you complain about.
You appear to be one of those people.
Notre Dame and Suck Cal are not rivals.
Notre Dame and Penn State are not rivals
Notre Dame and Stanford are not rivals.
Notre Dame and Michigan are not rivals.
Michigan and Ohio State is an overrated rivalry, that rivalry is calm compared to most SEC-ACC school rivalries in the same state.

See where this is going they are only considered "rivalries" because they are traditional powerhouses that is it, they will never see a alum in their daily lives. By the way this is a discussion board so not everyone is going to agree, the comment wasn't warranted, he doesn't like and quite frankly this is another meaningless "rivalry." There is no history no reason for a trophy event the Mayor's Cup doesn't mean a hill of beans other than both schools being located in Columbia. Even the weak PC white guilt academia of USC didn't want Travis because of his ties to catching runaway slaves and leaving his wife. aTm needs to keep the Texas or another one of the other Big XII Texas school rivalry rather than just ditching them.
Spurrier_Superior_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 06:46 PM   #42
TAFC 5 1981
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
TAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot material

[quote=Spurrier_Superior_One;4194505]Notre Dame and Suck Cal are not rivals.
Notre Dame and Penn State are not rivals
Notre Dame and Stanford are not rivals.
Notre Dame and Michigan are not rivals.
Michigan and Ohio State is an overrated rivalry, that rivalry is calm compared to most SEC-ACC school rivalries in the same state.

Good point; FSU and FL is a good rivalry
Old 07-01-2014, 07:05 PM   #43
B-G
Bowl MVP

Male

B-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPit

SSO you're crazy.
B-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:19 PM   #44
markymark550
Bowl MVP

Male

markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

I wouldn't have a problem with it if the trophy was created because this series turned into a true rivalry and not just a forced game. Seems kind of silly to create a trophy for a game/series that may not gain enough traction to really be called a rivalry.
markymark550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 01:32 AM   #45
CockyInSeattle
4-Star

Male

CockyInSeattle rules the CockPitCockyInSeattle rules the CockPitCockyInSeattle rules the CockPitCockyInSeattle rules the CockPitCockyInSeattle rules the CockPitCockyInSeattle rules the CockPitCockyInSeattle rules the CockPitCockyInSeattle rules the CockPitCockyInSeattle rules the CockPitCockyInSeattle rules the CockPitCockyInSeattle rules the CockPit

I like it because it pays tribute to those from South Carolina that contributed to the Texas Revolution. I wish it listed every South Carolinian:

James Bonham
Lemuel Crawford
Samuel Maverick (where the term maverick comes from, independent thinker)
George Neggan
Edward Nelson
George Nelson
Cleveland Kinloch Simmons
William B. Travis

Being a bit of a history buff, for me, this is great way to celebrate history and our state's connections.

And besides, it's not named after a Texan, it's named after a Gamecock.

"Never ask a man if he is from Texas. If he is, he'll tell you in the first five minutes of conversation, if he isn't you don't want to offend him." - My adaptation of an old saying, also works for Californians.
CockyInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:29 AM   #46
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

CockyCash: 219000
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

This is a dumb idea

for willy
GamecockUltimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 04:49 AM   #47
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Just so I am clear, a chance comes along to put our name and school in peoples minds in Texas, one of the top 3 college talent producing states in the country and several think this is a horrible idea. I hope none of those people ever said it was good for USC to get exposure in Texas at all, because this trophy game basically gives us more exposure for almost nothing in return and I guess if you hate this idea you never saw any value in getting into that area at all.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:42 AM   #48
TerryP
4-Star

Male

TerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
Just so I am clear, a chance comes along to put our name and school in peoples minds in Texas, one of the top 3 college talent producing states in the country and several think this is a horrible idea. I hope none of those people ever said it was good for USC to get exposure in Texas at all, because this trophy game basically gives us more exposure for almost nothing in return and I guess if you hate this idea you never saw any value in getting into that area at all.
I have to ask here, trapper. How does a trophy give you more exposure?

Playing the game does, sure. A win against the Aggies gives a little more exposure than playing the game itself.

But a trophy? If you win, it's sitting in Cola. If you lose, it's sitting in College Station where recruits will see it, but also be reminded the Aggies won.

I don't understand the correlation you're seeing.

BTW, I consider the Foy-ODK trophy and its presentation a joke that is long past its time. I love the traditions of college football and that trophy has been around for almost a decade. It's not mentioned much at all—if any—when it comes to the game it represents.
TerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:16 AM   #49
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryP View Post
I have to ask here, trapper. How does a trophy give you more exposure?

Playing the game does, sure. A win against the Aggies gives a little more exposure than playing the game itself.

But a trophy? If you win, it's sitting in Cola. If you lose, it's sitting in College Station where recruits will see it, but also be reminded the Aggies won.

I don't understand the correlation you're seeing.

BTW, I consider the Foy-ODK trophy and its presentation a joke that is long past its time. I love the traditions of college football and that trophy has been around for almost a decade. It's not mentioned much at all—if any—when it comes to the game it represents.
Basically, by giving a game a trophy you are pretty much saying the game is a big deal. Texas A&M always promotes their traditions, so if they are including us in that group you can be sure their fanbase will talk about it. If we have a gameday option for us, it will be the focal point of one segment at least. You had a couple of SC natives fighting to help Texas gain independence, its part of their history. They have schools and roads named after the guy. Read the article, "everyone in Texas knows who he is." This trophy ties that guy, a guy they consider a hero, to SC and our game. I don't see how that isn't good for us.

Now of course, you still have to win the game, but I dont think its an accident we are building ties to Mizzou and Texas A&M, they are willing to make our games as a big deal and not treat us like second class citizens like some others in the SEC.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:40 AM   #50
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Do we really need to play for possibly 5 trophies a year (3 at minimum)? Seems like overkill

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:56 AM   #51
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

I like it. Texas A&M have the most intense football fans in the State of Texas ... by far. UT is more like UNC in they are wine and cheese types compared to A&M.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:13 AM   #52
A. Pilgrim
Blue Chip

Male

A. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
I like it. Texas A&M have the most intense football fans in the State of Texas ... by far. UT is more like UNC in they are wine and cheese types compared to A&M.
Have you ever been to the state of Texas?
A. Pilgrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:20 AM   #53
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier_Superior_One View Post
I am going to have to disagree with you on that one.

How do you have so much personal, indepth knowledge of all of the college rivalry atmospheres/cultures across the country?
Cock Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:54 AM   #54
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 94340
MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
Do we really need to play for possibly 5 trophies a year (3 at minimum)? Seems like overkill
That's along the lines I was thinking, is doing this creating too many "championships/trophies?"

Every year, we'll be playing for the:
Bonhmam Trophy
Mayors' Cup
State Championship/Rivalry Trophy
SEC East Trophy
SECCG Trophy
Bowl Game Trophy or
Playoff Round 1 Trophy
National Championship Trophy

So in a perfect season, that would be 7 trophies. That seems like overkill to me, I don't think winning the Mayor's Cup would deplete the value of winning an SEC trophy, but is it really needed? While I don't think that the SEC Reg Season game trophies do any real harm, I also don't see the value.

We've been playing teams like uf, uga and tenn for 20+ years regularly and don't have a trophy, why do we need to fabricate some kind of meaning for the matchups with the new teams?

-Abo Swinney, April 23, 2014

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...steve-spurrier
MWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:03 PM   #55
sandstorm2001
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWard View Post
That's along the lines I was thinking, is doing this creating too many "championships/trophies?"

Every year, we'll be playing for the:
Bonhmam Trophy
Mayors' Cup
State Championship/Rivalry Trophy
SEC East Trophy
SECCG Trophy
Bowl Game Trophy or
Playoff Round 1 Trophy
National Championship Trophy

So in a perfect season, that would be 7 trophies. That seems like overkill to me, I don't think winning the Mayor's Cup would deplete the value of winning an SEC trophy, but is it really needed? While I don't think that the SEC Reg Season game trophies do any real harm, I also don't see the value.

We've been playing teams like uf, uga and tenn for 20+ years regularly and don't have a trophy, why do we need to fabricate some kind of meaning for the matchups with the new teams?
It's an inexpensive way to make the game a little more interesting. I don't think it's fair to compare these single game trophies to championships and bowl games because it's not like we get a new mayors cup every time we best Mizzou. We keep the same trophy when we win and will have to give it up when we lose.

It's not like this trophy is going to be the biggest thing we play for every year, but it's something that literally has no real negatives that you can have a little fun with of you just let yourself, and that's what college football is all about.

Last edited by sandstorm2001; 07-02-2014 at 02:14 PM.
sandstorm2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:07 PM   #56
kick_ball
high midi-chlorian count

Male

CockyCash: 521
kick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier_Superior_One View Post

yeah youre wrong on this one bud
Old 07-02-2014, 12:29 PM   #57
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Have you ever been to the state of Texas?
Yes. I lived in Lubbock for a year and have made many trips to Austin. I once got a date with Bevo. (She was female underneath.)

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:30 PM   #58
St. Louis Gamecock
Recruit

Male

St. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his comb

Quote:
"GET OFF MY LAWN!!!"

What the hell, are you one of these people who just likes to bitch about anything?
Get off my lawn?

Now that's funny!
St. Louis Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:41 PM   #59
B-G
Bowl MVP

Male

B-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
Wine and cheese are tasty.
B-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 01:02 PM   #60
roosterdude21
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 10000
roosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot material

So basically it's bowl season all year long. Sounds cool I guess
roosterdude21 is offline   Reply With Quote