CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
B-G
thekob
b381l
markp_vip
Lonnie
kingoftheroost
Gamecocks1137
l^l^lBGCock
Cockhornleghorn
JDJones
Braxton Miller (2839)
ESPNís Marisa Martin (1464)
Fan bias toward a sp (869)
RG3 - Struggles Not (696)
Sidney Rice is havin (684)
Family, Faith, and G (626)
10 years since " (579)
**USC Women vs. Clem (457)
Have a problem and h (449)
2014 Charleston Clas (428)
THE Vent and Coaching Cha
Lineup Changes (Offense)
Braxton Miller
Perry Dozier Jr. (2015 Pr
Interesting stat
Previewing Cornell
The South AL-A-BAM-A GAME
10 years since "the
Sidney Rice is having the
CockyTalk Football Pickem

Old 07-02-2014, 12:09 AM   #1981
ktguen
2nd Team All-American

Female

CockyCash: 1000400
ktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot material
Default Re: Official World Cup 2014 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalli25 View Post
Has a lot more to do with the game times this World Cup compared to the previous locations. Also, the World Cup is played at a perfect time in American sports. There is literally nothing to compete with. I'm happy that the US supported the team, but let's not get too caught up in the rating.
I also believe the rise of social media has played a huge part.
ktguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:42 AM   #1982
Transmaniacon
Any Major Dude

Male

CockyCash: 500
Transmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot material

As with just about any sport, the primary barrier to fan interest is investment in the drama and outcome. From a more detached perspective, I think baseball is ridiculously boring. But, I watch the gamecocks play in the postseason and find myself on the edge if my seat. Same with women's basketball. I have no use for Nascar, but I went to see a friend race once in one of these lower-level races, an it was epic. I love watching Golf when it is a major and the players' nerves are battling adrenaline. I pay almost no attention to smaller tournaments. I love women's gymnastics during the Olympics. Honestly, the drama an tension of those events can't be beat. But, I'd rather watch Dabo trying on khakis than watch gymnastics any other time.

I used to play soccer but never watched it. Then I joined a fantasy EPL league about 6 years ago, and starting getting into it more and more. Eventually I became a Tottenham fan, which started pretty casual but now is for real. I guess what I'm saying is that soccer's popularity will grow as this sort of investment in the drama, teams, and players grow. It is a thrilling game when you care about the outcome. And, once you start caring, you can also get caught up in its unique culture (like college football, for instance), which can broaden your interest in the game more generally (including dumb tabloid drama).

Right now, a lot of people at least know what the game offers when you care. Most will stop caring now and stop watching. But the flirting may have gotten to a few of them, and they will take a look at EPL or other leagues (now that they may know some players) because they just want to keep flirting. And caring. Life is more interesting and exciting when you care about things. Even dumb things that sometime end nil-nil.

Some others will take the lazy, cynical route and shit on the game for whatever reason. It is easy to be against just about everything. F*ck those people.
Transmaniacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 01:04 AM   #1983
12+4=6
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 850
12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit
Send a message via AIM to 12+4=6

If you seriously think this World Cup didn't get a hell of a lot of people to see the excitement in a sport they had previously dismissed, you're crazy.

MLS is getting stronger every day, the USMNT showed it can go toe to toe with top teams, and the country rallied around a team like we have never seen before.

A good bit of it IS hype, but with that hype comes awareness and involvement. Sure, a lot of people will hop back off of the soccer bandwagon that made this World Cup so much fun - but a lot won't.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:09 AM   #1984
BlakelyH19
Blue Chip

Male

BlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPit

Thanks World Cup for giving us some sports excitement in the season of sports boredom from a sport we didn't think could really do that for us.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:34 AM   #1985
TonyVercetti
Banned

Male

TonyVercetti is developing his combTonyVercetti is developing his combTonyVercetti is developing his combTonyVercetti is developing his combTonyVercetti is developing his combTonyVercetti is developing his combTonyVercetti is developing his combTonyVercetti is developing his combTonyVercetti is developing his combTonyVercetti is developing his comb

I literary didnt hear a single person even mention the world cup. None of my friends. Non of my famiy. Nothin public. Nothing. Whenever i asked anyone about itbthey were like "yeah right"

As far as i kno it didnt even happen. Only place i heard about it was on espn when i was trying to watch stuff about football.

Oh alsi i work with a mexican. One who was born and riased in mexico. He doesnt even like soccer. He loves gamecock football.

So imo soccer here is like football everwhere else. Besides less. Lol
TonyVercetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 01:53 AM   #1986
boowilliam4
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 400
boowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talons

The fact that we made it out of the group stage was an accomplishment. We went toe to toe with some of the powerhouses of soccer and held our own. I'm not a big soccer fan but I really enjoyed seeing everyone rally behind this team these past few weeks. Go USA and Go Gamecocks.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:12 AM   #1987
Gyle41386
Explosivo

Male

CockyCash: 1450
Gyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to Gyle41386 Send a message via Yahoo to Gyle41386

Excited for the quarters, especially France/Germany.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:52 AM   #1988
Hoodrow Wilson
4-Star

Male

Hoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talons

The United States won 1 game, tied a game, and lost 2 games...

I am somehow uninspired.
Hoodrow Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 04:41 AM   #1989
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 113804578
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodrow Wilson View Post
The United States won 1 game, tied a game, and lost 2 games...

I am somehow uninspired.
We lost to Germany 1/0 they are ranked top 5 in the world.

We tied Portugal 2/2 they are ranked top 5 in the world. Last second miracle for them I might add.

Beat Ghana who tied Germany and lost to Belgium top 10 in the world and had a chance to steal it if Wondo hits the open net in regulation.

I was inspired.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:58 AM   #1990
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Walked into BWW here in Florence as the game wound down. It was nuts in there, the whole place was packed, every TV showing the WC game, the whole place roose and fell with every game development, people dressed up in red, white and blue. This was in Florence, in a chain restaurant. I never would've thought that atmosphere would be in this town at that place. I am considering what it would take to found an American Outlaws chapter here.

If you don't like it, that's fine, we get it. Seems when it comes to soccer more people that dont like it are very willing to explain why. If I dont like somethimg I usually ignore it. No reason to dismiss the sport itself.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:35 AM   #1991
Travelin
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 522
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyVercetti View Post
I literary didnt hear a single person even mention the world cup. None of my friends. Non of my famiy. Nothin public. Nothing. Whenever i asked anyone about itbthey were like "yeah right"

As far as i kno it didnt even happen. Only place i heard about it was on espn when i was trying to watch stuff about football.

Oh alsi i work with a mexican. One who was born and riased in mexico. He doesnt even like soccer. He loves gamecock football.

Did your Mexican pal type your post for you?

BTW, soccer IS football.
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:34 AM   #1992
Travelin
Household Name

Male

Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regalcock View Post
We lost to Germany 1/0 they are ranked top 5 in the world.

We tied Portugal 2/2 they are ranked top 5 in the world. Last second miracle for them I might add.

Beat Ghana who tied Germany and lost to Belgium top 10 in the world and had a chance to steal it if Wondo hits the open net in regulation.

I was inspired.
So was I. We have a lot to be excited about going forward. Lots of big matches coming up in the future.

I was hoping we could at least make the quarters, but I honestly think we went as far as our talent level could take us.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:15 AM   #1993
Kaka
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Kaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot material

All the soccer insiders know that we can do better.

1. Donovan should have been there.
2. Wondolosky and Brad Davis had not reason to be there
3.Joe Corona is a creative player that was excluded for no reason.
4. Does Klinsmann watch MLS at all? Does he knows who Luis Silva is?

I think Klinsmann is a good coach but there are better ones out there, I guess is a financial decision and he is the best we can afford for now.

Kaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 07:16 AM   #1994
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

I hope we qualify for Confederate Cup.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 07:23 AM   #1995
B-G
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

B-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyVercetti View Post

Damn Pantera.

Even in Miami? No one talks about soccer?
B-G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 07:46 AM   #1996
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 380
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
Walked into BWW here in Florence as the game wound down. It was nuts in there, the whole place was packed, every TV showing the WC game, the whole place roose and fell with every game development, people dressed up in red, white and blue. This was in Florence, in a chain restaurant. I never would've thought that atmosphere would be in this town at that place. I am considering what it would take to found an American Outlaws chapter here.

If you don't like it, that's fine, we get it. Seems when it comes to soccer more people that dont like it are very willing to explain why. If I dont like somethimg I usually ignore it. No reason to dismiss the sport itself.
Do you remember when the USA hockey team played Canada for the gold? The game was at noon and bars were packed at 9am with people the same way. America supports it's national teams no matter what sport it is. People have the same stories and reactions every four years.

Why can't people just enjoy the teams run and the fan support and not have to try and make it into more than it is?
Old 07-02-2014, 07:48 AM   #1997
Travelin
Household Name

Male

Next up is the Czech Republic.

A friendly being played in Prague on Sept. 3rd.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:55 AM   #1998
A. Pilgrim
Two Deep

Male

A. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12+4=6 View Post
If you seriously think this World Cup didn't get a hell of a lot of people to see the excitement in a sport they had previously dismissed, you're crazy.

MLS is getting stronger every day, the USMNT showed it can go toe to toe with top teams, and the country rallied around a team like we have never seen before.

A good bit of it IS hype, but with that hype comes awareness and involvement. Sure, a lot of people will hop back off of the soccer bandwagon that made this World Cup so much fun - but a lot won't.

It most definitely got people into the excitement that soccer can bring.

But here's the problem...people in the US, for the most part, have extremely short attention spans.

Without a team to now have a vested interest in...most of us who root for the US team will have to wait another 4 years before being interested in soccer again.

Why?
Because I'm a grown man who doesn't feel a draw to arbitrarily pick a team to have as 'my team'

I'm was born and raised, and continue to live, in SC...so, MLS doesnt offer anything in terms of 'my team' as well.

There's nothing to keep my attention on the sport...and 4 years is a long time.
A. Pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:36 AM   #1999
carolinafan53186
1st Team All-SEC

Male

carolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Pilgrim View Post

But here's the problem...people in the US, for the most part, have extremely short attention spans.

Without a team to now have a vested interest in...most of us who root for the US team will have to wait another 4 years before being interested in soccer again.

Why?
Because I'm a grown man who doesn't feel a draw to arbitrarily pick a team to have as 'my team'

I'm was born and raised, and continue to live, in SC...so, MLS doesnt offer anything in terms of 'my team' as well.

Another problem is that soccer has to compete with all the other sports in this country. We don't have to wait four years for football or baseball to restart.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-02-2014, 08:44 AM   #2000
Kaka
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Kaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Pilgrim View Post

Why?

MLS will have a team in Atlanta next year.

I feel you, I love nfl but I don't have a team, I guess I follow the Panthers and the Raiders. I like college football better because I can go to the games here in Columbia, I enjoy football a lot after I learned the basic of it, my younger brother was the kicker for Dutch Fork High School.

Thanks for the support during the world cup.

Haters are just inmature people who's life isn't exciting so they find dumb reasons to trash soccer, they will always hate not matter what.

Kaka is offline   Reply With Quote