CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CockyLifer
The Yancey
ReadR00ster
IBleedGarnetandBlack
gromweat
Spurticus
StormOfTalons
gamecock88
ZenUSC
b381l
Nick Chubb (6385)
A&M on 3rd down (1672)
All of our defensive (1403)
Spurrier Presser (1367)
Uniform thread (1156)
Cack's Toast of the (1145)
louisville (1047)
Rankings (1040)
Spurrier: Davis Will (1021)
3-4 "D" Ke (739)
Uniform thread
Not a talent issue
All of our defensive play
East Carolina Prediction
Acock's SEC Wrap Up 2014:
Will Devin ever suit up f
3-4 "D" Keep it
Rankings
Recruiting Question
Defensive Backfield

Old 07-02-2014, 01:25 PM   #2061
cock13
An illusion, Michael

Male

CockyCash: 51250
cock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Official World Cup 2014 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Pilgrim View Post
Oh, and now I'm expecting my first child, a boy...so, I want to watch any and all sports that I can really appreciate with him when he's old enough, to have "our team" so, its on me to find out how to "pick a team"
I'm an Arsenal fan. How did I pick them? Well, when I first started watching soccer and didn't have a team, that had two players (Henry and Fabregas) who I really liked, so I followed those players, and in effect started watching the team. Neither Henry nor Fabregas play for Arsenal anymore, but over the years I started getting invested more in the style of the team and the other players.

Have you watched any World Cup? Whatever player jumps out at you as the most fun to watch, follow whatever club team they play for.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:52 PM   #2062
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

CockyCash: 415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

I'm a West Ham fan. Been to Upton Park about 10 times now since 2004.

I picked West Ham b/c a drunk Englishman told be about Bobby Moore and the 1966 World Cup.

It's amazing how we decide who to support. Some loves are passed down from generation to generation (like alcoholism and the Gamecocks). Some are more arbitrary, and some are more organic.

There is no right or wrong. But I truly hope that this World Cup has opened up people to supporting soccer and understanding the game outside of the WC's 4 year window. I think it has.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:57 PM   #2063
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

I think it helps a ton that the Olympics is right around the corner. The buzz should sustain at least through that I would think.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:05 PM   #2064
B-G
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
B-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
I think it helps a ton that the Olympics is right around the corner. The buzz should sustain at least through that I would think.
Olympic soccer just isn't the same to me.
It's a U-23 team with a few guest players I think 2?
So it's not our true national team playing.
Granted it's good to watch up and coming teams, but our team normally is of players older than 23 (as shown from being one of the oldest in the WC this year)
Old 07-02-2014, 02:09 PM   #2065
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

I guess that's true .. But we'd get a chance to watch Yedlin and Green play if they chose to. That's worth it to me.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
Old 07-02-2014, 02:12 PM   #2066
ktguen
2nd Team All-American

Female

CockyCash: 1000400
ktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot material

Quote:
See I would have thought the same thing for the 2012 games except we didn't qualify. -____-
ktguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:13 PM   #2067
Transmaniacon
4-Star

Male

Transmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot material

Tottenham fan here. We are the gamecocks of EPL. Not just because our mascot is a gamecock either. The parallels are many. Go pull for Arsenal if you love UGA and lasagna poison!

Liverpool and Everton are fine clubs to pull for as well, although Liverpool has Luis "I eat people" Suarez (at least they got got rid of the awful Charlie Adam). Just don't pick any of the Big Three.
Transmaniacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:15 PM   #2068
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 58166
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
Including me

Not really saying much if you consider the multinational Seattle population
Seattle's international population is mainly Far Eastern Countries (China, Korea, Thailand, Japan.. etc) where baseball is very popular, so I am not going to agree with you on this one.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:16 PM   #2069
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Quote:
I guess that's true .. But we'd get a chance to watch Yedlin and Green play if they chose to. That's worth it to me.
I think Yedlin is 22, so he would be too old for the Olympics in 2016

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:18 PM   #2070
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

Yedlin is 20

Old 07-02-2014, 02:29 PM   #2071
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 575
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nureye View Post
I'm a West Ham fan. Been to Upton Park about 10 times now since 2004.

I picked West Ham b/c a drunk Englishman told be about Bobby Moore and the 1966 World Cup.

It's amazing how we decide who to support. Some loves are passed down from generation to generation (like alcoholism and the Gamecocks). Some are more arbitrary, and some are more organic.

There is no right or wrong. But I truly hope that this World Cup has opened up people to supporting soccer and understanding the game outside of the WC's 4 year window. I think it has.
Soccer really is a beautiful game. I don't get how people love football with all the stoppages for the clock, timeouts, etc and then think soccer is boring because there isn't enough action.

Like any sport, not every game or match is exciting. However, once you understand how it is played and appreciated it for what it is, soccer is awesome. I never grew up playing it and didn't really follow it until a few years ago but it's close to being my #1 sport now.

I've never met a West Ham supporter in the US. Go Andy Carroll!!!
Old 07-02-2014, 02:34 PM   #2072
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
Tottenham fan here. We are the gamecocks of EPL. Not just because our mascot is a gamecock either. The parallels are many. Go pull for Arsenal if you love UGA and lasagna poison!

Liverpool and Everton are fine clubs to pull for as well, although Liverpool has Luis "I eat people" Suarez (at least they got got rid of the awful Charlie Adam). Just don't pick any of the Big Three.
I like Everton. They are a bit of an underdog. Love what Martinez has done (liked what Moyes did before that but Roberto has taken them to a whole new level). I started following Everton because of Tim Howard. For many people just getting into the game, that would be a great team to follow. It's a young, exciting team that is trying to make it to the top and they have an American hero on the team which they all know.

As for the Big 3, I assume you mean Man United, Man City, and Chelsea. They are only the Big 3 because of money. In the EPL, the big 3 according to tradition and success would be Liverpool, Manchester United, and Arsenal. Those 3 by far have had the most titles in the Premier League.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:36 PM   #2073
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Quote:
Yedlin is 20
Correct...he'll be 21 in about a week. Hope that doesn't ruin his chances.

Just read the FIFA rules...he should be good as long as he is 23 at the time of the olympics

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:38 PM   #2074
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000grad View Post
Correct...he'll be 21 in about a week. Hope that doesn't ruin his chances
I believe the Olympic rules allow for 2 or 3 players older than 23 to be on the roster as well.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:39 PM   #2075
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscjeremynca View Post
Soccer really is a beautiful game. I don't get how people love football with all the stoppages for the clock, timeouts, etc and then think soccer is boring because there isn't enough action.
It's not hard at all to figure out why people prefer football.

I've read posts where a few people are trying to argue that soccer and football are similar... just stop.

I enjoyed watching the world cup in 2010 and 2014 and I may watch it occasionally, but football game play is much more exciting than soccer. For one thing, you have giant muscle bound monsters throwing themselves into one another violently with enough force to possibly kill your average unpadded joe and that's ALLOWED.
Cock Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:41 PM   #2076
Transmaniacon
4-Star

Male

Transmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscjeremynca View Post
I like Everton. They are a bit of an underdog. Love what Martinez has done (liked what Moyes did before that but Roberto has taken them to a whole new level). I started following Everton because of Tim Howard. For many people just getting into the game, that would be a great team to follow. It's a young, exciting team that is trying to make it to the top and they have an American hero on the team which they all know.

As for the Big 3, I assume you mean Man United, Man City, and Chelsea. They are only the Big 3 because of money. In the EPL, the big 3 according to tradition and success would be Liverpool, Manchester United, and Arsenal. Those 3 by far have had the most titles in the Premier League.
By "Big Three," I meant ManU, Chelsea, and Arsenal. City is "new money," so to speak. I just single out those teams because they tend to be the more bandwagon teams in the US. I only dislike Arsenal and Chelsea of those. I'm okay with ManU, mostly because I like Ryan Giggs a lot, but I also like RVP and Rooney. And any "hatred" I mention is mostly in good fun.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:51 PM   #2077
B-G
Bowl MVP

Male

B-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPit

In my eyes Big 3 are ManU, Liverpool and Arsenal.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:59 PM   #2078
spareparts
1-9-9-9

Male

CockyCash: 1000509
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material

If there's anything that's worse and more boring than non-World Cup soccer, it's having to deal with the every-four-years barrage of post-US-loss insults from soccer fans about why soccer is superior to American football, why we all need to jump on the soccer bandwagon which is going to be sustained until the next World Cup by the MLS and other leagues, defending their fanship when no one really questioned it in the first place, ridiculing concussions in the NFL as an excuse to become a soccer fan when they themselves are American football fans, on and on and on and on. And it's all stereotypical scripted bullish that doesn't do anything but reinforce themselves as the world's biggest sports self-esteem-lacking whinebabies about their sport.

For frick's sake, do hockey fans act like this when the Stanley Cup finals are over and everyone quits watching hockey for a year?

Do die-hard track and field fans (all 25 of them) give a crap if American football fans disappear from the sidelines after the Olympics?
spareparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:03 PM   #2079
B-G
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
If there's anything that's worse and more boring than non-World Cup soccer, it's having to deal with the every-four-years barrage of post-US-loss insults from soccer fans about why soccer is superior to American football, why we all need to jump on the soccer bandwagon which is going to be sustained until the next World Cup by the MLS and other leagues, defending their fanship when no one really questioned it in the first place, ridiculing concussions in the NFL as an excuse to become a soccer fan when they themselves are American football fans, on and on and on and on. And it's all stereotypical scripted bullish that doesn't do anything but reinforce themselves as the world's biggest sports self-esteem-lacking whinebabies about their sport.

For frick's sake, do hockey fans act like this when the Stanley Cup finals are over and everyone quits watching hockey for a year?

Do die-hard track and field fans (all 25 of them) give a crap if American football fans disappear from the sidelines after the Olympics?
I agree completely.

Even as a fan of the sport, it's quite annoying when you have the "soccer snobs" bitching because someone doesn't enjoy the sport.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:06 PM   #2080
Transmaniacon
4-Star

Male

I think Liverpool's recent run of mediocrity explains why they have lost that status in my eyes. Whereas Arsenal and Chelsea a have qualified for Champions League consistently for the past decade or more. Granted, Chelsky only qualified last year because they won CL (which, by rule, prevented my Spurs from competing in CL, another reason to hate them, as if Ashley Cole and John Terry weren't enough). Meanwhile, until this past season, Liverpool has been underwhelming for at least 5 years. Brendan Rogers has done a great job there. I like Sturridge and Stevie G, so I was pulling for them a little this past year.