CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CockyLifer
Aggie96
Gamecocks1137
jebodiah
b381l
Gamecock in TX
Acockolypse Now
cockycrazy2001
Cockypantherfan
jellafever
Vote for Browns star (3255)
Shaw Lighting Up Bro (2365)
2016 Commitment - Ja (1981)
Preparing for the sm (1694)
Connor Shaw intervie (995)
They are coming to y (885)
Gameday Garnet Polo (859)
Aggie Statistics (846)
Clowney (827)
Free furniture if A& (510)
Spurrier accepts cockys c
TJ Holloman
Gamecock CAD Models
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Connor Shaw Browns
QB Kenny Hill named start
2013 game vs TN is on SEC
Preparing for the smash r
Aggie Statistics
Question about renewing (

Old 05-29-2014, 06:23 PM   #21
GamecockSuperFan
Run the damn ball

Male

CockyCash: 200
GamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot material
Default Re: who moved in

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockymac View Post
Yes.
not really to be honest. they arent asked to do all that much strategically. you can only do a number of things at the corner position. and alot of it is about instincts & what you see on film. what routes teams run a higher percentage of the time when in certain formations/personnel groupings is what CB's look for so they can jump routes/make plays on the ball and know an offenses tendencies. its about being athletic so you dont get ran past, and well coached on fundamentals obviously. they just have to be on the same page with the rest of the secondary/ know the calls.
GamecockSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:34 PM   #22
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 89095
CockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPit

That's what I was thinking, but they are right also really the longer they are on campus before season starts the better.
THE University of SOUTH CAROLINA!

CockyLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:47 PM   #23
garnet_black215
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

TBS reported earlier today that there are multiple sources who are confident that Smith, Lammons, and Green will enroll in Summer II and still have plenty of opportunities to make early contributions. It would still be better if they were here already. Getting an early start on the playbook and workouts would have been very beneficial. They'll have a steep learning curve in a very short amount of time.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 11:26 PM   #24
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braveguy06 View Post
Was hoping green and lammons came in today. Need those two in the gym and learning the playbook
Green, Lammons and Smith are expected to be here for Summer II.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 11:27 PM   #25
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenUSC View Post
Zach Cimaglia is a kick off, FG and extra point kicker. I don't think punted at NC A&T.
He's coming in to compete for all kicking duties. Punting is now his best of the four.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:30 PM   #26
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

I expect the 3-4 will create some different coverage responsibilities......which will add to what the DB's will need to know.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:32 PM   #27
garnet_black215
2nd Team All-American

Male

garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
I expect the 3-4 will create some different coverage responsibilities......which will add to what the DB's will need to know.
Which is another reason why I really don't think it will work.
Old 05-30-2014, 01:36 AM   #28
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

Any word on Joe Blue?
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 04:03 PM   #29
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyboy View Post
Any word on Joe Blue?
Summer II or Fall.

I actually heard at one time that he may end up a Prep Schooler.

Drink Cocktane!

For the latest in USC coverage, check out:

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 04:06 PM   #30
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockSuperFan View Post
not really to be honest. they arent asked to do all that much strategically. you can only do a number of things at the corner position. and alot of it is about instincts & what you see on film. what routes teams run a higher percentage of the time when in certain formations/personnel groupings is what CB's look for so they can jump routes/make plays on the ball and know an offenses tendencies. its about being athletic so you dont get ran past, and well coached on fundamentals obviously. they just have to be on the same page with the rest of the secondary/ know the calls.
I agree with this. Cornerback and Running Back are the quickest transitions from high school to college because they are positions where raw talent is naturally on display. Not a whole lot of thinking going on.

However, there is a new rule in place that allows our coaches to have contact with players over the Summer. They are allotted a specific amount of hours they can spend with the players so having the young guys on campus early probably speeds up the transition process and given our need for depth at Corner, it would've been best if those guys could've enrolled this week. Not saying they are going to behind this Fall, but they may not be as far ahead as they could've been.

Drink Cocktane!

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem
Old 07-02-2014, 02:32 PM   #31
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

Pay sites reporting that Googer, Smith, and Stanley move in today.

That leaves these guys for Fall admission:

Wideman
Lammons
Green
Smalls
Blue

I believe Smalls, Lammons, Green, and Blue have all been flagged by the Clearinghouse. I know Blue and Smalls said they got admitted into the university recently.

Doesn't sound like we are going to know anything about Wideman until after July.

Drink Cocktane!

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem
Old 07-02-2014, 03:12 PM   #32
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcgamecock View Post
True but a cover corner does one thing and the playbook is easy, guard and shut the guy down on your side of the field, just saying.
Just saying wrong.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:50 PM   #33
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
offensive lineman Malik Young is moving in today, not in July as previously expected
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock View Post
Good for him - gives him an earlier opportunity to start the weight room regimen and getting settled into college life....

I got a chance to meet Malik a few weeks back. My oldest Granddaughter
graduated from Woodmont HS and when we were outside of Timmons
Arena Looking for her afterward, we (my son, daughter in law, wife and I)
ran into him. He is an extremely nice young man and eager to get started
this summer. Very excited about playing for South Carolina. He had nothing
but praise for Coach Elliott and said he is looking forward to being coached
by him.

Funny story.
My daughter in law is a manager and part owner of the Sonic in Simpsonville,
and my wife is a manager at an Arby's here in Columbia. Both of them
told Malik that if he stopped by their stores, they'd give him a free meal
before he got to USC ?!?!?!?!

My son and I had to step and tell them to CHILL with the free food
offers. I know they meant well, but we had to tell our wives the problems
they could cause Malik if they did that.

Old 07-02-2014, 03:54 PM   #34
SCohioBoy
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
SCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
I got a chance to meet Malik a few weeks back. My oldest Granddaughter
graduated from Woodmont HS and when we were outside of Timmons
Arena Looking for her afterward, we (my son, daughter in law, wife and I)
ran into him. He is an extremely nice young man and eager to get started
this summer. Very excited about playing for South Carolina. He had nothing
but praise for Coach Elliott and said he is looking forward to being coached
by him.

Funny story.
My daughter in law is a manager and part owner of the Sonic in Simpsonville,
and my wife is a manager at an Arby's here in Columbia. Both of them
told Malik that if he stopped by their stores, they'd give him a free meal
before he got to USC ?!?!?!?!

My son and I had to step and tell them to CHILL with the free food
offers. I know they meant well, but we had to tell our wives the problems
they could cause Malik if they did that.

If they do hook him up, I expect you to ban yourself for a week at their punishment
Old 07-02-2014, 04:05 PM   #35
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCohioBoy View Post
If they do hook him up, I expect you to ban yourself for a week at their punishment
Fortunately that won't happen. My D I L and wife now fully understand
that even though they were trying to be nice, they could have gotten
Malik and even the team in trouble if they had done that.

also,

Malik thanked them politely and told them he couldn't do that, so he was
aware of the consequences as well.

The NCAA is lightening up on minor issues like this, and I expect within the next
few months to see this rule lifted, but for right now, it's best to steer away from
free stuff for the team until it's official
Old 07-02-2014, 08:53 PM   #36
garnet_black215
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
Pay sites reporting that Googer, Smith, and Stanley move in today.

That leaves these guys for Fall admission:

Wideman
Lammons
Green
Smalls
Blue

I believe Smalls, Lammons, Green, and Blue have all been flagged by the Clearinghouse. I know Blue and Smalls said they got admitted into the university recently.

Doesn't sound like we are going to know anything about Wideman until after July.
Getting flagged by the Clearinghouse is always concerning. These particular thing seem to drag out longer than they should. Really hurts not getting those DB's to campus sooner.

Have Lammons and Green been admitted to the university?

Last edited by garnet_black215; 07-02-2014 at 11:09 PM.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:03 AM   #37
pitchcock
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 29795000
pitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet_black215 View Post
Getting flagged by the Clearinghouse is always concerning. These particular thing seem to drag out longer than they should.
This seems to be the case with us.

Maybe it happens at other schools too, and I don't hear about it, but we've had several guys flagged that took most of their freshman season to get resolved.

If my memory serves me right, seems like Andrew Pinnock didn't get cleared until he'd lost about half of his first year, and we've had someone else recently that lost a couple of games waiting on clearance.
pitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:14 AM   #38
garnet_black215
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchcock View Post
This seems to be the case with us.

Maybe it happens at other schools too, and I don't hear about it, but we've had several guys flagged that took most of their freshman season to get resolved.

If my memory serves me right, seems like Andrew Pinnock didn't get cleared until he'd lost about half of his first year, and we've had someone else recently that lost a couple of games waiting on clearance.
Honestly it wouldn't surprise me. We don't have the best track record in these situations. If they do eventually get cleared it will probably be a last minute thing.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:08 PM   #39
Absfract
World Traveler

Male

CockyCash: 500
Absfract is sharpening his clawsAbsfract is sharpening his clawsAbsfract is sharpening his clawsAbsfract is sharpening his clawsAbsfract is sharpening his claws

Having Green, Smith, and Lammons flagged... what are we going to do at CB if those guys don't make it in?
Absfract is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 03:14 PM   #40
garnet_black215
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absfract View Post
Having Green, Smith, and Lammons flagged... what are we going to do at CB if those guys don't make it in?
Pretty sure Smith is enrolled. As far as the others, no telling when they'll get in. If they don't, CB will take a big hit.