CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
l^l^lBGCock
COCKYTALKIN
jrussjr
gamecockgal
A. Pilgrim
Clowneygotcha
eightohhthree
spareparts
ktguen
Acock's Wrap Up: Geo (2215)
Elliott Fry crushes (2058)
No Gurley near the g (1547)
Tired of night games (1356)
Photos of fans befor (985)
20 of 31 former play (969)
The SEC East schedul (948)
Cooper (888)
Been a pleasure talk (750)
Coach Elliott pregam (732)
Well, as it turns out, we
Elliott Fry crushes Clems
What the heck is up with
RB Recruiting (2015 and 2
Luginbill says ECU should
Verne lundquist
Cooper
Really excited to visit t
Georgia Visitors List - u
ESPN USC campaign poster

Old 06-27-2014, 10:14 PM   #861
qcgamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Discussion: 2015 Recruiting Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
Until it happens or it looks like it is a lock to happen, I am not subtracting any non qualifiers and early draft entries, and decomittments. I am going on the numbers right now, I am not going on guessing. If we were take 29 we'd be 10 over and then all those other things and some transfers would have to happen to get down to 85 scholarships from 95. Unless, I am missing something that is.
Agreed, recruiting evolves as most things and changes with the wind but it appears with the way things are shaping up at the moment and with past history that we are going to go after the best 25 we can offer and have 4-5 EE's. Like preseason rankings and commitments, they have there place but nothing is official until Jan for EE's and Feb signing day, even then you may wait for a qualifier until....
qcgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 11:19 PM   #862
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
I don't know where you are getting that "less 4" from. I have 80 - 14 + 29 = 95. 10 over.
the less 4 are juniors declaring for the NFL.....the 14 are the senior class.

if my numbers are fairly accurate, we'll need about 6 to get down to 85... but as ETG said, those 6 will come from guys not qualifying or transfer out. It happens every year....no reason to think it won't happen next year.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 12:21 AM   #863
Thenardier
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
Thenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot material

Hey, question about SC recruiting. I thought someone said SC tended to get many players from JUCO. SDS just ran the numbers for JUCO signings since 2010, and SC isn't even close to the top. SC had 10, Ole Miss was the leader at 28.
Thenardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 01:19 AM   #864
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenardier View Post
Hey, question about SC recruiting. I thought someone said SC tended to get many players from JUCO. SDS just ran the numbers for JUCO signings since 2010, and SC isn't even close to the top. SC had 10, Ole Miss was the leader at 28.
I don't remember that. I think someone must have been referring to this year. We could have gotten as many as 6......Thomas, Palmer, Lewis, Jones, Durant, and Sawyer......Thomas is out and there's a good chance Jones may not be part of the class....and there's some doubt now about Durant.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:18 AM   #865
bhusc2002
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
bhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to bhusc2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
I don't remember that. I think someone must have been referring to this year. We could have gotten as many as 6......Thomas, Palmer, Lewis, Jones, Durant, and Sawyer......Thomas is out and there's a good chance Jones may not be part of the class....and there's some doubt now about Durant.
I'm not sure where he would have heard that either. Spurrier generally avoids JUCO players, because they aren't in the program as long before they can leave.

Now, Holtz was notorious for JUCOs/prep players, so maybe that's what he was referring to.
bhusc2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 03:21 PM   #866
boowilliam4
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 400
boowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talons

https://footballrecruiting.rivals.co...80&CID=1364602

Just saw this posted by Chris Clark on GCC. Helped answer a few of my questions and figured it may help answer a few of yours. It's just the formula for how they rank the recruiting classes.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:38 PM   #867
roosterdude21
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 668
roosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowilliam4 View Post

Just saw this posted by Chris Clark on GCC. Helped answer a few of my questions and figured it may help answer a few of yours. It's just the formula for how they rank the recruiting classes.
Thanks
roosterdude21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:24 PM   #868
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Chris Clark says on Twitter that a RB target has a commitment date set, sooner rather than later. Turner or someone else?
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:34 PM   #869
BigRedCock
↓Little Marcus Lattimore↓

Male

CockyCash: 1700
BigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet_black215 View Post
Chris Clark says on Twitter that a RB target has a commitment date set, sooner rather than later. Turner or someone else?
Turner. Will commit sometime during the openning
Old 07-02-2014, 10:38 PM   #870
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedCock View Post
Turner. Will commit sometime during the openning
Thanks.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:32 PM   #871
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 94340
MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowilliam4 View Post

I think I found a key flaw in their ranking, it's biased to HS recruits.

"JUCO and Prep School national rankings do not have bonuses. Only those prospect's RR rating will be considered in the point calculation."

So a guy like M. Lewis or D.J. Jones who would be high 4 star, ranked int he Top 100 overall prospects don't get the same bonuses as a HS recruit.

-Abo Swinney, April 23, 2014

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...steve-spurrier
MWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:14 AM   #872
Carolinafan@UTENN
Walk On

Male

Carolinafan@UTENN has hatched from the shell

I'm either starting to think that I don't understand RB recruiting at all, or I'm concerned with the way we are going about it.

How do we keep losing RBs to teams that already have serious numbers of talent committed. Scott last year (when TN already had a Hurd and Paulk, now they have Kamara and Reid this cycle already). Georgia got to super talents last year (Michel and Chubb). Scarlett just committed to Miami when they already have two other top RBs.

Granted, I know that we could get pickups like Turner and Williams as soon as tomorrow, but if RBs are on the look out for playing time how in the world are other teams tearing it up so well with multiple top tier backs, and we can't grab one? It is a bit frustrating.
Carolinafan@UTENN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:25 AM   #873
bcolinc
Blue Chip

Male

bcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinafan@UTENN View Post
I'm either starting to think that I don't understand RB recruiting at all, or I'm concerned with the way we are going about it.

How do we keep losing RBs to teams that already have serious numbers of talent committed. Scott last year (when TN already had a Hurd and Paulk, now they have Kamara and Reid this cycle already). Georgia got to super talents last year (Michel and Chubb). Scarlett just committed to Miami when they already have two other top RBs.

Granted, I know that we could get pickups like Turner and Williams as soon as tomorrow, but if RBs are on the look out for playing time how in the world are other teams tearing it up so well with multiple top tier backs, and we can't grab one? It is a bit frustrating.

What he said^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-09-2014, 10:30 AM   #874
gamecockguy
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1300
gamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talons

Scarlett hasn't even visited our campus. Chubb chose his in state school

Scott is the only one that you can have a legitimately whine about
gamecockguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:45 AM   #875
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

Quote:

Honestly without sugar coating it you are right. Our RB recruiting leaves a lot to be desired. Not saying we don't bring in some talented backs but our SEC rivals consistently out recruit us at RB.

And with our depth chart now and not signing a RB last year seems like we should be able to add an elite back
Old 07-09-2014, 10:59 AM   #876
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

I don't see how anyone could get upset if USC finished with Turner and Shaw (or Williams if you don't think he is going to Notre Dame).

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:04 AM   #877
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by PageUSC View Post
Our RB recruiting leaves a lot to be desired.
Well it was pretty good for a while...but we had Jay Graham for a few years. Maybe that's a factor?
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:12 AM   #878
davisd9
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 375
davisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudly

Quote:

I would go with the bold area.
davisd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:15 AM   #879
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

Turner and Shaw would be a good RB haul but my question is where do they end up long term? Do they stay at RB their whole career here or does one or both of them move to defense? My wish for RBs this class was that we land two "true" backs, like Scarlett, Williams, Williams, or Frasier. I do think it's a good thing to have versatile players on the roster, but with RB being the need that it is I wish we would get guys who will stay at RB their whole career.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:23 AM   #880
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

You're assuming a lot by thinking they are automatically going to defense. At least that is what your last sentence says, anyway)

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote