CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
b381l
Regalcock
mpilot0705
U-Dub Gamecock
Storm Of Spurs
catdaddy66
talkincock
doubledribble
gamecockgal
For Discussing The C (2954)
Drew Owens missing? (2385)
Question about after (2056)
Dylan Thompson surpa (1307)
Shaq Roland (1246)
clemson game time: N (735)
FishFry 47-yarder (724)
How about this scena (570)
Clemson fan here (456)
Tenn-Mizzou game (442)
Question about after the
Gamecock Men Have Been Fa
Fly_over tomorrow?
Big George Statue
For Discussing The Clemso
How about this scenario
Winston
Predict nonconference win
Dylan Thompson surpasses
what I think ab ward

Old 07-03-2014, 12:19 PM   #1
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

CockyCash: 415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material
Default Do you need advice on picking a Premier League team?

Then this is the thread for you.

I will be happy to give (generally) unbiased advice, and answer questions about whether an EPL team is right for you. I'm sure there are other posters out there would be willing to help as well.

[Note: I will NEVER advise anyone to choose Manchester United, and I think Tottenham (Spurs) are the Clemson of England.]

Please PM if you need my credentials as an BPL expert.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:25 PM   #2
A. Pilgrim
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
A. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot material
Default Re: Do you need advice on picking a Premier League team?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nureye View Post
Then this is the thread for you.

I will be happy to give (generally) unbiased advice, and answer questions about whether an EPL team is right for you. I'm sure there are other posters out there would be willing to help as well.

[Note: I will NEVER advise anyone to choose Manchester United, and I think Tottenham (Spurs) are the Clemson of England.]

Please PM if you need my credentials as an BPL expert.

OK, I'll bite...

In the other thread, this link was provided, which I started browsing through;
http://www.nbcsports.com/joe-posnans...er-league-club

But, for a bit more of a personal recommendation, let me offer you some specifics about myself as a fan...

Obviously, a lifelong Gamecock fan, as well as alum.
I abhor bandwagon teams (LA, Cowboys, Yankees)
But I'd also like to 'pick' a team that is not a perennial cellar-dweller.
I'm not looking for self-flagellation. In other words, I'm not trying to 'pick' the EPL equivalent to the Chicago Cubs (yes, I realize some might characterize the Gamecocks as the CFB equivalent of the Cubs...)
I prefer some American connections that I can get behind.

What team(s), in your opinion, would be good for me to consider looking into further?
A. Pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 12:29 PM   #3
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 575
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Pilgrim View Post
OK, I'll bite...

In the other thread, this link was provided, which I started browsing through;
http://www.nbcsports.com/joe-posnans...er-league-club

But, for a bit more of a personal recommendation, let me offer you some specifics about myself as a fan...

Obviously, a lifelong Gamecock fan, as well as alum.
I abhor bandwagon teams (LA, Cowboys, Yankees)
But I'd also like to 'pick' a team that is not a perennial cellar-dweller.
I'm not looking for self-flagellation. In other words, I'm not trying to 'pick' the EPL equivalent to the Chicago Cubs (yes, I realize some might characterize the Gamecocks as the CFB equivalent of the Cubs...)
I prefer some American connections that I can get behind.

What team(s), in your opinion, would be good for me to consider looking into further?
Everton.

Up and coming team with a lot of young talent. Got a new manager last year, Roberto Martinez (who has been on the ESPN World Cup broadcast and shows), almost made the Champions League last year. American connection - the goalkeeper for Everton is Tim Howard. Last year, he had his best season for them. Landon Donovan also played for Everton at one time.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:30 PM   #4
Jim Lahey
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000700
Jim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot material

Everton seems like a good choice, right? Tim Howard at goalie and they have that Belgium dude with the awesome afro.
Jim Lahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 12:34 PM   #5
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscjeremynca View Post
Everton.

Up and coming team with a lot of young talent. Got a new manager last year, Roberto Martinez (who has been on the ESPN World Cup broadcast and shows), almost made the Champions League last year. American connection - the goalkeeper for Everton is Tim Howard. Last year, he had his best season for them. Landon Donovan also played for Everton at one time.

I was gonna say the same thing.

Everton
are a good choice. Never been relegated. In a good city, with a good rival, Liverpool.

Good fans, and generally good looking kits. A historic club that has won a few trophies, but never going to win the league in this era. Will always compete for the FA and League Cups.

I might also suggest Newcastle. Amazing fans and a HUGE club. Have had a tough few years lately, but generally a good team.

Aston Villa is an option. Brad Guzan is their keeper and is a Gamecock. Historically a mid-level team.

Last edited by Nureye; 07-03-2014 at 12:45 PM.
Nureye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 12:36 PM   #6
gamecockphan
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 2200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lahey View Post
Everton seems like a good choice, right? Tim Howard at goalie and they have that Belgium dude with the awesome afro.
Felani plays for Man U now.

However Everton does have Mirelles and Lukaku (he's on loan from Chelsea).

Everton also have up and commer Ross Barkley.
gamecockphan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 12:58 PM   #7
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

Quote:

Everton
are a good choice. Never been relegated. In a good city, with a good rival, Liverpool.

Good fans, and generally good looking kits. A historic club that has won a few trophies, but never going to win the league in this era. Will always compete for the FA and League Cups.

I might also suggest Newcastle. Amazing fans and a HUGE club. Have had a tough few years lately, but generally a good team.

Aston Villa is an option. Brad Guzan is their keeper and is a Gamecock. Historically a mid-level team.
I also love Roberto Martinez as manager at Everton. He is finally getting his due for his good work. Struggled in his years at Wigan but won the FA Cup in 2013 beating Man City in the Final.

Newcastle would almost make it a Big 4 in the EPL if they hadn't fallen on hard times. The club was HUGE back in the day.

Yes, Aston Villa is another good club because of Brad Guzan. However, they have been in the relegation battle the last couple of seasons so they aren't vying for any trophies - just survival. However, always good to keep an eye on them and catch their highlights to see what Guzan is doing.

Another good club would be Stoke City. They have always been more of a defensive club but are trying to change their tactics a little. Another American is on that team - Geoff Cameron.

So from an American standpoint, there is Tim Howard (Everton), Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), and Jozy Altidore (Sunderland - although I expect him to transfer to another club this summer).

Here is an awesome video with Howard, Guzan, and Cameron having dinner and discussing life in England. It's an ESPN one so can't embed it. Worth watching though.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=11003523
Old 07-03-2014, 01:00 PM   #8
A. Pilgrim
Two Deep

Male

A. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lahey View Post
Oh, nice- given I'll be spending a decent bit of time in Belgium in the future, maybe being familiar with afro-dude (yeah, going to need to study up) might give me some 'street cred'

I was already considering Everton due to the Howard connection.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:02 PM   #9
A. Pilgrim
Two Deep

Male

Quote:

Everton

Hmm, yeah...I've been a fan of Guzan ever since the matches against Costa Rica in the snow and Mexico (I think he played in both of those...definitely one)

OK, so I'll throw Newcastle and Aston Villa into hat for consideration with Everton.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:05 PM   #10
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Pilgrim View Post
Oh, nice- given I'll be spending a decent bit of time in Belgium in the future, maybe being familiar with afro-dude (yeah, going to need to study up) might give me some 'street cred'

I was already considering Everton due to the Howard connection.
As stated, Afro dude is now with Manchester United. You still get Kevin Mirallas (came on as a sub against the US, big man - of course Belgium has a lot of those) and Romelu Lukaku (big dude who came on as a sub in extra time, completely changed the game, and scored the 2nd goal for Belgium).

As for Fellaini, he wasn't good this year for Man U. Maybe with a new manager in Louis van Gaal, he will turn things around.

Best Belgium player is Eden Hazard. Plays for Chelsea. His younger brother, Thorgan Hazard, is an up and coming talent who is also with Chelsea (but just got transferred to a team in Germany - that's breaking news by the way!). Captain for Belgium is Vincent Kompany. He is a center back who is also the captain of Manchester City - defending EPL champions.

That should be enough info to make you knowledgeable and impress some Belgians.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:09 PM   #11
markp_vip
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 6001866
markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscjeremynca View Post
As stated, Afro dude is now with Manchester United. You still get Kevin Mirallas (came on as a sub against the US, big man - of course Belgium has a lot of those) and Romelu Lukaku (big dude who came on as a sub in extra time, completely changed the game, and scored the 2nd goal for Belgium).

As for Fellaini, he wasn't good this year for Man U. Maybe with a new manager in Louis van Gaal, he will turn things around.

Best Belgium player is Eden Hazard. Plays for Chelsea. His younger brother, Thorgan Hazard, is an up and coming talent who is also with Chelsea (but just got transferred to a team in Germany - that's breaking news by the way!). Captain for Belgium is Vincent Kompany. He is a center back who is also the captain of Manchester City - defending EPL champions.

That should be enough info to make you knowledgeable and impress some Belgians.
Did they sell him or just loan him out?
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day.
markp_vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:09 PM   #12
Biocockanics
WMD

Male

CockyCash: 10260
Biocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot material

this keeps up, we might get our own forum...lol.

I began following Chelsea because of Joe Cole, he was my favorite player way back when.

Everton has Tim Howard
Stoke City has Brek Shea and Geoff Cameron
Old 07-03-2014, 01:11 PM   #13
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

Let's not de-rail the thread. Keep it on Topic please...
Old 07-03-2014, 01:14 PM   #14
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Let's not de-rail the thread. Keep it on Topic please...
Where did we go off topic? I don't see it.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:15 PM   #15
B-G
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

B-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot material

Gimme a team that spends a ton of money and won't get relegated.

I don't want a bunch of cheap asses.

Oh and don't give Tottenham (not because what you said Nureye)
B-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:17 PM   #16
Biocockanics
WMD

Male

CockyCash: 10260
Biocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot material

then Chelsea is your team, haha....no one spent more and got less over the past few years...but since Mourinho is back...I expect changes.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:18 PM   #17
GoCCUChants
I'm the Foxy Man

Male

CockyCash: 200
GoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot material

This may be helpful. It is now a year old though.

GoCCUChants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:18 PM   #18
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-G View Post
Gimme a team that spends a ton of money and won't get relegated.

I don't want a bunch of cheap asses.

Oh and don't give Tottenham (not because what you said Nureye)

Manchester City. Until recently, they were a loveable loser. Now they are owned by an Emerati Billionaire and spend cash like its going out of style. Great fans.

Chelsea have a Russian billionaire owner as well, but their fans are a bunch of dicks. Chelsea is in the west end of London. Which is very nice.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:19 PM   #19
gamecockphan
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 2200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biocockanics View Post
then Chelsea is your team, haha....no one spent more and got less over the past few years...but since Mourinho is back...I expect changes.
Ugh. Just hate Jose's approach and style.
gamecockphan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:20 PM   #20
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCCUChants View Post
This may be helpful

I see the edit now.