CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Interesting quotes f (1314)
We're going to the N (877)
Have you ever been s (801)
Tennessee Offense Br (629)
This season and recr (349)
Women's Team Ranked (326)
COCKYTALK GOLF OUTIN (289)
Anyone have a recipe (273)
Key for 2015 defense (272)
Favorite online flas (185)
We're going to the NCAA T
NCAAF: TENNESSEE @ SOUTH
Have you ever been so wro
Lebron makes Cleveland re
Uniforms for Tenn
Interesting quotes from D
Women's Team Ranked #2 In
Key for 2015 defense
2014 Ultimate Tailgate --
SEC Coaches Dress Up for

Old 07-03-2014, 10:47 AM   #81
A. Pilgrim
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
A. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot material
Default Re: New Trophy with Texas A&M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
What are some examples? S.Cal and Notre Dame are not 'natural' rivals. They are two historically good programs that decided to start playing each other.
I would personally consider Florida and LSU a rivalry now.
Both may be in the Southeast, but think about how long it takes to travel by car from Gainesville to Baton Rouge...hardly 'natural'

Service Academies are also natural rivalries not based on geographic area

Another would be the Catholic schools

What do all of these have in common? They share some type of affiliation, whether it be conference (LSU-UF), purpose (Service Academies), or religious affiliation (Catholic schools)

I'm sure there are more examples, but those are just a few of the non-geographic based rivalries I could think of off the top of my head.
A. Pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:33 AM   #82
GregoryHouse
Moonocababa

Male

CockyCash: 28000
GregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot material

In college football, every game is important.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:22 PM   #83
TerryP
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
TerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryP View Post
Every SEC game is a big deal. It may not be a big challenge, but you can't say a conference game isn't a big deal.

As to A&M always promoting a tradition: that statement goes to support a comment made earlier in the thread. Without scrolling back, I believe the term was manufactured tradition. Nothing could be more true considering the two teams have never met each other on the playing field.
And yet not all have a trophy, and A&M wants to do one with us. Not Tennessee, not Vanderbilt, but us.
That's a good observation; interesting one as well. There's two teams that have been playing each other for over a century; over a 100 games the two have met. No trophy, a lot of tradition.

IF there was going to be a "border type" of award it seems like it would/should come from UT. Up until recently they routinely invaded the Carolina's for a lot of their talent.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryP View Post
Now this sounds like something made for Tom Rinaldi. That's something Saturday's could stand less of, in my opinion.

I'm not discrediting this historical links. Those are interesting.

When I see “We’re mixing politics, football and history,” that...well, just bothers the hell out of me.
I don't get the politics part of what he was saying other than some of the people involved in the initial discussion. How does the trophy as described and if delivered as they state refer to politics? I think some people, like yourself, are jumping on what was designed to be a rather benign comment and making it much more than it was intended because it includes the p word.
You're damn straight the politics word being thrown in bothers me.

Setting that aside for a second...from what I understand this trophy idea is the brainchild of Rick Perry and Nikki Haley.

Now, Rick Perry was a member of the Yell Crew at A&M. There's some odd things from that group so his idea isn't a shock. Haley is a Clemson grad. The mixture of those two combined with their backgrounds with regards to college football?

Now it's coming real close to the borderline of comical. My opinion, mind you.

Quote:
Any respect you refer to is only recent in my opinion. I have seen too much on SEC rant from other SEC fans to agree with you, but we can obviously agree to disagree.

As to the other point, who knows what might happen, doesn't always keep you from acting in the meantime. When recruits come visit the more trophies we have in the case, the better.
Thank you. My opinion differing from the majority on SECrant...I'll take that as a compliment.

Now, as to recruits seeing the trophy? We won't see eye to eye on this meaning much. Let's assume it's sitting in the case today. What exactly is the possession of that trophy saying? You beat a .500 conference team last season: a team that finished fourth in the west and tied for 7th in the SEC—with Vandy.

I see this story along with the stories about Maryland wanting to have two trophies this upcoming season for regular season games now that they've joined the B1G.

Enough already...
TerryP is offline   Reply With Quote