CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
kingoftheroost
Badazcock
thekob
cockfight21
ChickenButt
Cockypantherfan
Ericvol2096
gamecockgal
Yearofthegamecock
10-2 (2589)
Build a New Stadium (1811)
Four UK Players Susp (1677)
Cleaned up version: (1023)
Connor Shaw's fault. (935)
Nosovitch (689)
400 pasing yards (649)
This program has no (583)
Defer Or Not? (566)
Funny? (492)
Yeti roadie 20 qt
10-2
Women's golf leading afte
What fish do you eat
Request
2016 - Tavien Feaster
Thompson Has Neck Injury
What's on the menu for to
Hottest seat in CFB?
Zone Read Analysis w/ 201

Old 07-05-2014, 07:15 PM   #521
GamecockGuardsman
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 200
GamecockGuardsman rules the CockPitGamecockGuardsman rules the CockPitGamecockGuardsman rules the CockPitGamecockGuardsman rules the CockPitGamecockGuardsman rules the CockPitGamecockGuardsman rules the CockPitGamecockGuardsman rules the CockPitGamecockGuardsman rules the CockPitGamecockGuardsman rules the CockPitGamecockGuardsman rules the CockPitGamecockGuardsman rules the CockPit
Default Re: 2014 Atlanta Braves Season Thread

The Braves has played their best baseball this year during this streak. What they are doing with the injuries they have is amazing. Hopefully they can keep it up but I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of slumps. This is a playoff team but I don't see them making it deep unless they can make some moves before the trade deadline (which they never do).
Old 07-05-2014, 08:03 PM   #522
GamecockGuardsman
Two Deep

Male

GamecockGuardsman rules the CockPitGamecockGuardsman rules the CockPitGamecockGuardsman rules the CockPitGamecockGuardsman rules the CockPitGamecockGuardsman rules the CockPitGamecockGuardsman rules the CockPitGamecockGuardsman rules the CockPitGamecockGuardsman rules the CockPitGamecockGuardsman rules the CockPitGamecockGuardsman rules the CockPitGamecockGuardsman rules the CockPit

I know one thing...the Braves have some good young talent. Shae Simmons, La Stella, and Bethancourt has really stepped in and produced. I think Alex Wood will be a good 4 or 5 starter one day. I think he still has some work to do but has done a decent job so far. Some players to watch in their farm system is Lucas Sims, Jose Peraza, Jason Hurst, and Kyle Wren. I saw Sims pitch in person (when he was at Rome) @ Asheville last year. Pitched pretty decent but still think he is about 2 years away from making a impact. Same goes with Peraza. He doesn't have much power but is a good fielder and good contact hitter.

The problem with having good prospects like Peraza and Bethancourt is that the Braves already have solid starters at the positions they play. Peraza is a SS/2B, but don't see him bumping Simmons or La Stella unless they are injured. I also don't see Bethancourt bumping Gattis in the near future. So, with all of that talent does the Braves keep them in the minors for a few years or do they look to trade them for other talent that they may not be strong in?
Old 07-05-2014, 08:42 PM   #523
COCKDIESEL
Voice of Reason

Male

CWS Baseball Pickem Winner: CWS Baseball Pickem Winner - Given for: Winning the first CWS Pickem Contest 
CockyCash: 53400000
COCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockGuardsman View Post
I know one thing...the Braves have some good young talent. Shae Simmons, La Stella, and Bethancourt has really stepped in and produced. I think Alex Wood will be a good 4 or 5 starter one day. I think he still has some work to do but has done a decent job so far. Some players to watch in their farm system is Lucas Sims, Jose Peraza, Jason Hurst, and Kyle Wren. I saw Sims pitch in person (when he was at Rome) @ Asheville last year. Pitched pretty decent but still think he is about 2 years away from making a impact. Same goes with Peraza. He doesn't have much power but is a good fielder and good contact hitter.

The problem with having good prospects like Peraza and Bethancourt is that the Braves already have solid starters at the positions they play. Peraza is a SS/2B, but don't see him bumping Simmons or La Stella unless they are injured. I also don't see Bethancourt bumping Gattis in the near future. So, with all of that talent does the Braves keep them in the minors for a few years or do they look to trade them for other talent that they may not be strong in?
The thing about La Stella is that I heard someone say he is a little older than most rookies. Which makes Peraza a better long term option if he and La Stella are close in ability. Is say we should make a trade for Houston's 2b Altuve but as soon as he put on a Braves uni his avg would hit the toilet and he'd start making errors.

COCKDIESEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:09 PM   #524
GamecockGuardsman
Two Deep

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by COCKDIESEL View Post
The thing about La Stella is that I heard someone say he is a little older than most rookies. Which makes Peraza a better long term option if he and La Stella are close in ability. Is say we should make a trade for Houston's 2b Altuve but as soon as he put on a Braves uni his avg would hit the toilet and he'd start making errors.
Altuve would be a great addition but I think the Braves would have to send more value in a deal. Altuve is leading the Astros in AVG, OPS, and Hits but then again it is the Astros. I think it would take sending maybe two to get him. Like you said, his AVG would prob. take a dump.

I would like to see the Braves get a CF or a 3B. B.J. has hit the ball a little better in the last couple of weeks but I just don't see his AVG jumping past .225 or .230. We are prob. stuck with him b/c of his contract but I think it is time to find another solution to CF. Also, I'm still not completely sold on Chris Johnson. I think the Braves jumped the gun on signing him to a 3 year extension. His not a bad hitter (when he actually hits the ball) but I think the Braves prob. could get some value out of him. Finally, the starting pitching. Floyd is injury prone, Santana is up and down and Harang is in the same boat as Santana. They have been just getting by but I think for the Braves to make a big playoff push...they need to find a pitcher or two that is a little more consistent.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:12 PM   #525
GamecockGuardsman
Two Deep

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by COCKDIESEL View Post
La Stella is only 25. A little older compared to some of the other prospects but I believe his is at the age where he needs to show if he is going to make a impact.
Old 07-05-2014, 10:01 PM   #526
markymark550
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C. View Post
After this winning streak we will probably lose about 5 in a row lol that's how it usually happens
Didn't start today!
markymark550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:12 PM   #527
markymark550
Bowl MVP

Male

markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

Peraza is a good prospect. He's probably the guy in the minors that could develop into the prototypical leadoff hitter. He's still a couple of years away from being ready though. Heard the organization has been thinking of moving him to third base if La Stella winds up sticking.
Old 07-06-2014, 02:39 PM   #528
GamecockGuardsman
Two Deep

Male

Braves going to 10 in a row right now!

Nationals leading Cubs 1-0 in the bottom of the first. Those jokers will not go away.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:03 PM   #529
aftertwobowls
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 4700000
aftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot material

Vote for Justin Upton on the All Star Final Vote, or text N5 to 89269. You can also download an app like Text Voter on your smart phone and send 100 votes at a time. It looks like we're teaming up with the Angels too this year, so text A4 to vote for Garrett Richards.

Edit: Actually here's one of the rules this year: "Ballots generated by a script, macro or other mechanical or automated means will be disqualified. MLB Advanced Media, L.P. will validate all ballots cast, and reserves the right to invalidate any such ballot in its discretion. The Office of the Commissioner of Baseball will have final decision on all balloting matters. All votes are final." So sending mass texts using apps won't count, but you can still use them to send one vote at a time. It's quicker than typing N5 every text.

Last edited by aftertwobowls; 07-09-2014 at 03:14 PM.
aftertwobowls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:57 AM   #530
AtlGamecock3307
Starter

Male

AtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPit

What ever happened to Edward salcedo sp? Didn't pan out?
AtlGamecock3307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:19 AM   #531
markymark550
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlGamecock3307 View Post
What ever happened to Edward salcedo sp? Didn't pan out?
Still in the minors, at Gwinnett this year. He's got the raw power that teams want, but he's had a pretty rough time at the plate this year hitting in the BJ Upton low .200s range. Reports say he's also still pretty raw defensively and might be a candidate to be moved to leftfield. I'd guess maybe another year or so to develop, barring any major injuries to CJ. He's still only 22, about to turn 23, so he's still got a little time before you can say he hasn't panned out.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:56 PM   #532
carolinafan53186
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

carolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot material

I wouldn't be upset if we don't see avilan anymore
Old 07-07-2014, 11:30 PM   #533
aftertwobowls
4-Star

Male

aftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinafan53186 View Post
I wouldn't be upset if we don't see avilan anymore
We need some more left handed relief pitching though, but I hear you.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:11 PM   #534
carolinafan53186
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

carolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot material

I don't know if they are going to make a big move for a CF or SP but I could see them making some bullpen moves.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:06 PM   #535
markymark550
Bowl MVP

Male

We usually make a move or two before the deadline, so I'm expecting something. I would bet any moves made are for lefty relievers.

As long as Harang doesn't completely implode, I think we'll stand pat with the starting rotation. I think that the price for some of the starters available will be too much. Might make a move to add a better bench bat, but don't see any big trades for position players either...unless some team out there is desperate for a 2b that hits in the .160 - .170 range.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:54 PM   #536
markymark550
Bowl MVP

Male

Julio's not with his best stuff tonight.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:00 PM   #537
aftertwobowls
4-Star

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymark550 View Post
Julio's not with his best stuff tonight.
Hanging everything..
Old 07-08-2014, 11:25 PM   #538
M.C.
The original "Mastercock"

Male

M.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to M.C.

Lol knew this would happen

All you Clemson Tigers Can Kiss My Garnet Ass -M.C.
M.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:28 PM   #539
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Here's the losing streak...
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:14 AM   #540
GamecockGuardsman
Two Deep

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C. View Post
After this winning streak we will probably lose about 5 in a row lol that's how it usually happens

Good call....only two games away