CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
gamecockgal
WeStillOwnUSC
GSC2013
18IsTheMan
Yearofthegamecock
eightohhthree
GarnetSwarm1990
robgusc76
highstick
ccured
"It just hurts, (4033)
Shout out to JT Surr (2464)
Don't underestimate (1934)
AP Poll (1754)
The Refs (1729)
Richt asking the SEC (1357)
A tribute to the &qu (1355)
Shon Carson (1279)
Spurrier's newest vi (1256)
The CBS Sports Inter (1217)
Stadium atmosphere
"It just hurts, man!
Vandy, Missouri, Kentucky
ESPN is mad that USC beat
2016 - Bryan Edwards
Worse 1st and goal play:
Dylan Thompson has been n
Robin William's fakes dea
AP Poll
Tired of Sandstorm?

Old 07-07-2014, 02:05 PM   #21
tsb44
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
tsb44 rules the CockPittsb44 rules the CockPittsb44 rules the CockPittsb44 rules the CockPittsb44 rules the CockPittsb44 rules the CockPittsb44 rules the CockPittsb44 rules the CockPittsb44 rules the CockPittsb44 rules the CockPittsb44 rules the CockPit
Default Re: CB in 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
Brison Williams will play a ton of corner at least until Groves, J. Smith , or the freshmen are ready to play.
Guess that means we should expect to see a lot of zone when Brison is in at corner?
Old 07-07-2014, 05:32 PM   #22
heavensent04
Walk On

Male

heavensent04 has hatched from the shell

I think corner be the position of surpise to Everybody. Both Harris and lammons have advance pure cover skills that will help them push the two deep
heavensent04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:38 PM   #23
carolinamyke
Recruit

Male

carolinamyke is developing his combcarolinamyke is developing his combcarolinamyke is developing his combcarolinamyke is developing his combcarolinamyke is developing his combcarolinamyke is developing his combcarolinamyke is developing his combcarolinamyke is developing his combcarolinamyke is developing his combcarolinamyke is developing his comb

Lammons doesn't have pure cover skills. He played mainly QB n HS. He is a great athlete
carolinamyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:03 PM   #24
henmania
Game MVP

Male

henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
Luckily we have 4 highly rated freshmen coming in and competing against each other this fall. I'd be disappointed if 1 or 2 didn't emerge from the group.

It all depends on their physical maturity to help with the run game. that will be the biggest factor. I think these guys probably have good cover skills. Not sure why everyone is so weirded out about Brison playing corner. I think it is a good solution until the young folks develop. We have a lot of talent at the safety position that has beeen on campus for a while. That isn't the case with the corners.
henmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:08 PM   #25
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by henmania View Post
It all depends on their physical maturity to help with the run game. that will be the biggest factor. I think these guys probably have good cover skills. Not sure why everyone is so weirded out about Brison playing corner. I think it is a good solution until the young folks develop. We have a lot of talent at the safety position that has beeen on campus for a while. That isn't the case with the corners.
Pretty much. He has shed the pounds and he is your most experienced player. He should be able to fill in just fine or at least be serviceable.. We also, like you said, have the bodies at Safety to do this.

Williams, McWilliams, Gurley, and Elder is an extremely good starting unit. The talent behind them is very good as well but needs to be brought along. None of those freshmen are Gilmore.

Jamari is still a work in progress. Groves doesn't have a whole bunch of snaps or practice reps under his belt. Green and Lammons aren't even on campus yet.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:23 PM   #26
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

I can see Marcus and Gurley as a CB I am not sure I see Williams as one. Does he really have the speed for someone that size? As far as freshman go, Smith and Green seem like the most likely. Harris needs a little time in the weight room and Lammons will need more time on the practice field than those other two.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:27 PM   #27
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Not really worried about CB at all. The one time I believe everyone felt we were fine back there was 2010. I heard the term "Embarrassment of Riches" to describe the situation we had:

CB1: Stephon Gilmore, Victor Hampton (F)
CB2: Chris Culliver, C.C. Whitlock

That was just the two deep. Of course, we went on to give up the second most passing yards in the conference that season second only to Auburn. We gave up over 300 passing yards in 6 different games ending up with the 7th overall ranked defense in the SEC, and this was when we still had just 12 schools.

All that to say, I wouldn't worry much, depth charts aren't always as they appear.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:20 PM   #28
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

There were at least 3 times last year when Gurley lacked speed or effort or took bad angles or some combination of the three. I hope he has gotten back to full speed after the injury. He gave up big plays out of underneath passes, and I think it had to be from incomplete recovery. The coaches seem to think he can be solid.
Goofyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:12 PM   #29
garnet_black215
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
Pretty much. He has shed the pounds and he is your most experienced player. He should be able to fill in just fine or at least be serviceable.. We also, like you said, have the bodies at Safety to do this.

Williams, McWilliams, Gurley, and Elder is an extremely good starting unit. The talent behind them is very good as well but needs to be brought along. None of those freshmen are Gilmore.

Jamari is still a work in progress. Groves doesn't have a whole bunch of snaps or practice reps under his belt. Green and Lammons aren't even on campus yet.
Green and Lammons not being on campus is disappointing. Both seemed like guys who could contribute early given our situation at that position.

I wish I could be as confident in the secondary as some of you guys seem to be. I just don't see this group producing a whole lot this year. Brison Williams is solid, but him at CB scares me.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:02 AM   #30
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsb44 View Post
Guess that means we should expect to see a lot of zone when Brison is in at corner?
Or you could match him up on the bigger wide receivers and play press man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWard View Post
I think 2 of the FR are going to be in the 2 Deep by the time we play uga. If Lammons and Green would have been on campus by Summer I, I would have been sure of this.
I doubt the freshman will be physically strong enough to start. Maybe we are lucky and one is as physically gifted as Stephon Gilmore. Hoping for two to be that good is way optimistic. IMO, these freshmen are going to need a year under Connolly before they are ready for SEC WRs.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:46 AM   #31
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
Or you could match him up on the bigger wide receivers and play press man.
A safety playing press man on a defense with question marks at pass rusher...

Sounds like a recipe for giving up a lot of big plays up the sideline to me.
Cock Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:04 PM   #32
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

I guess it depends on the safety and the receiver.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 06:05 PM   #33
Rooster'srule
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
Rooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talons

14 Ali Groves CB 5-10 189 RS FR Stone Mountain, Ga./Stephenson
1 Rico McWilliams CB 5-11 184 RS SO Hampton, Ga./Lovejoy
30 Sidney Rhodes CB 5-10 175 RS SR Easley, S.C./Wren/Western Carolina
27 Jamari Smith CB 5-10 199 SO Jacksonville, Fla./Fletcher

35 Shannon James DB 5-7 160 RS SO Florence, S.C./South Florence
HIGH SCHOOL: Graduated from South Florence (S.C.) High School, graduating in 2012... coached in football by Lynn Flemming... was an all-region selection and garnered the Dual Threat Award

43 Benjamin Russell DB 6-0 175 RS FR Atlanta, Ga./Woodward Academy
HIGH SCHOOL: Graduated from Woodward Academy in Atlanta... coached by former Gamecock assistant John Hunt... named his squad's most valuable wide receiver... turned down a scholarship offer from Dartmouth.

39 Demetrius Smalls DB 5-11 175 RS FR Bluffton, S.C./Bluffton
HIGH SCHOOL: Graduated from Bluffton (S.C.) High School in 2013... coached by Ken Cribb... served as a team captain... earned the squad's Best Receiver Award... turned down a scholarship offer from Army.

Get ready walk-ons next man up!!!
Rooster'srule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 06:16 PM   #34
GarnetSwarm1990
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 738
GarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talons

I think it comes down to discipline. I think the fact that we have a couple veteran guys at the safety spot will definitely help. They will be able to lead the young guys and get them in the right spots.

There will be plenty of lumps early. It's key to not get discouraged early on.

I don't think our situation looks like UGA did last year though because we have a few veteran guys back there.

Going to need some good luck to avoid injuries this year.
GarnetSwarm1990 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 06:24 PM   #35
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 71443
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

So you're saying we're not screwed at CB???

Old 07-11-2014, 07:10 PM   #36
Rooster'srule
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
Rooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetSwarm1990 View Post
I think it comes down to discipline. I think the fact that we have a couple veteran guys at the safety spot will definitely help. They will be able to lead the young guys and get them in the right spots.

There will be plenty of lumps early. It's key to not get discouraged early on.

I don't think our situation looks like UGA did last year though because we have a few veteran guys back there.

Going to need some good luck to avoid injuries this year.
Date Opponent / Event Location Time / Result

08/28/14 vs. Texas A&M # TV Columbia, S.C. 6:00 p.m. ET New QB
09/06/14 vs. East Carolina TV Columbia, S.C. 7:00 p.m. ET Good QB
09/13/14 vs. Georgia # TV Columbia, S.C. 3:30 p.m. ET New QB
09/20/14 at Vanderbilt # Nashville, Tenn. TBA New QB
09/27/14 vs. Missouri # Columbia, S.C. TBA Proven Backup QB
10/04/14 at Kentucky # Lexington, Ky. TBA Good QBs
10/18/14 vs. Furman Columbia, S.C. TBA
10/25/14 at Auburn # Auburn, Ala. TBA Proven QB
11/01/14 vs. Tennessee # Columbia, S.C. TBA Descent returning QBs
11/15/14 at Florida # Gainesville, Fla. TBA Returning QB
11/22/14 vs. South Alabama Columbia, S.C. TBA
11/29/14 at Clemson Clemson, S.C. TBA New QB

We have a favorable schedule to grow throughout the season but if we are not putting any pressure on the QBs we are going to take some serious lumps. Getum coached up Whammy!
Rooster'srule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:48 PM   #37
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 71443
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster'srule View Post
11/01/14 vs. Tennessee # Columbia, S.C. TBA Descent returning QBs
Into the depths of Hell? You may be right - they'll have an entirely new OL...