CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
catdaddy66
GregoryHouse
JaxcockFL
doubledribble
SMOTFS86
Cockhornleghorn
B-G
Regalcock
crowcutta
2014 Subway Classic: (2154)
Props to Eric Hyman. (1648)
Former Gamecock root (1479)
Franks boy's are pla (1369)
Garcia and Clemsux T (787)
Has the window close (702)
Bruce!!! (627)
Shrine Bowl on ESPNu (613)
Kentucky is dominati (585)
Question for those w (501)
Decommitment from Texas A
BEST GAMECOCK FOOTBALL PL
**USC vs. Clemson GAME Th
UFC Fight Night 58: Lyota
Has the window closed for
The Vent and Coaching cha
Bruce!!!
Franks boy's are playing
2015 - Eurndraus Bryant
Question for those who ha

Old 07-09-2014, 01:41 PM   #161
Spurz
Class of 2009

Male

CockyCash: 500
Spurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudly
Default Re: SEC Network getting nervous

I don't like how much they've been dragging their feet, but ultimately I just can't imagine Time Warner not picking this up. The SEC Network is based in Charlotte and TWC has corporate offices here as well. They'd be stupid to pass on it for many reasons, but that especially.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:27 PM   #162
BlueHerons
4-Star

Female

BlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbeam View Post
I have you guys ever stopped to think, that maybe, just maybe this is kind of a self-selected subgroup posting here?

I kind of have to ask myself why I am here, thinking about it some. The last sport I really follow is college football. I quite watching the NBA in the 90's. Quit watching the NFL for the most part in the early 2000's. Never really watched major league baseball.

I do watch baseball, and very occasionally basketball, but only the gamecocks. I watch other college football games, but the gamecocks are maybe... 30% - 40% of the college games I watch. There are some teams in other parts of the country I follow, usually because I find them appealing in some way (Kansas State), or have a unique offense.

I was going to make some calculations as to how many "Big Bang Theories" NFL broadcast rights were worth, based on viewership, and ask whether the price paid for the NFL was really worth it compared to what you get for the Big Bang Theory.

Then I realized I'd have to adjust for the longer length of the games, and look up the length of the pregame shows for the Super Bowl. (I still find it hard to believe these pregame shows get those kinds of ratings. The people I know who do have Super Bowl parties just turn it on when it comes on.)

Plus I tried a quick google to find out how much the network was paying for the rights to the Big Bang Theory, and it didn't jump right out. For NFL money I could probably get the rights to all the non-sports programming in the top 20 or 30, with some to spare. Well assuming it was up for bidding when I was buying.

But you know, I feel pretty comfortable with my analysis. I think we'll just have to see what the next decade brings.
It is a good thing you aren't in television advertising. Buyers buy based on hard ratings not on a feeling that sports are going the way of the Edsel.

Sports viewership will become more fragmented with more sports channels but overall sports viewership will not subside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecockphan View Post
Only a matter of time until Comcast is on board.....

http://msn.foxsports.com/college-foo...reement-063014
Thank goodness! I called Comcast last week, spoke to about ten other people and no one knew a thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbeam View Post
And lastly, not that I feel the need to champion cooking shows. But I imagine they are very cheap to get the rights to. Some people watch them, and see advertising. I would think networks make a profit on this.

Given the cost, I kind of wonder if NFL games give as good a rate of return.
You don't get the 'rights' to cooking shows. An independent production company will shoot a cooking show then try and sell it to the cable channel.

Advertisers buy eyeballs.

Advertisers aren't buying the cooking show that comes on a Sunday night at 11pm because no one is watching. Ever watch those shows On Demand that have no commercials except commercials for the network? Because they cannot sell the advertising.

You know why there is advertising when the show is originally aired? Because advertisers get good deals on buying bulk random time and can get dropped in some good time slots but mostly get trash time slots.

Yes, the sports get a fantastic rate of return. They get market value.
BlueHerons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 03:33 PM   #163
usc_yogi
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 200
usc_yogi rules the CockPitusc_yogi rules the CockPitusc_yogi rules the CockPitusc_yogi rules the CockPitusc_yogi rules the CockPitusc_yogi rules the CockPitusc_yogi rules the CockPitusc_yogi rules the CockPitusc_yogi rules the CockPitusc_yogi rules the CockPitusc_yogi rules the CockPit

One thing I haven't seen mentioned by DISH unless I have missed it is whether or not the SEC Network will be in HD. I have DISH currently and the Longhorn Network has shown up recently but it is not in HD.
usc_yogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:38 AM   #164
Cuck Flemson
Super Moderator

Male

Bowl Contest Winner: Winner of the Bowl Contest - Given for: Bowl Winner Nascar Challenge: Nascar Challenge Winner - Given for: Winner of Segment 1 Nascar Challenge 
CockyCash: 1710278
Cuck Flemson is USC mascot materialCuck Flemson is USC mascot materialCuck Flemson is USC mascot materialCuck Flemson is USC mascot materialCuck Flemson is USC mascot materialCuck Flemson is USC mascot materialCuck Flemson is USC mascot materialCuck Flemson is USC mascot materialCuck Flemson is USC mascot materialCuck Flemson is USC mascot materialCuck Flemson is USC mascot material
Default Re: Get the SEC Network for your TV provider!!!

Any word on twc? They have until end of July or I'm switching!
Old 07-10-2014, 02:16 PM   #165
pimpingamecock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 350
pimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPit

I will be gone from twc if they don't
pimpingamecock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 04:02 PM   #166
ColaCock
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 800
ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc_yogi View Post
One thing I haven't seen mentioned by DISH unless I have missed it is whether or not the SEC Network will be in HD. I have DISH currently and the Longhorn Network has shown up recently but it is not in HD.
Yes, it will be in HD according to Wikipedia (so you know you are getting the best possible information).

ColaCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:03 PM   #167
uscgamecocks88
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudly

Quote:
It's owned by ESPN so I would assume so
uscgamecocks88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:05 PM   #168
FlorenceCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1200000
FlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscgamecocks88 View Post
The Longhorn network is owned by ESPN to.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:19 PM   #169
SirBigSpur
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1800
SirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudly

ESPN has their moments though. "YOU ARE LOOKING LIFE AT A SOLD OUT WILLIAMS BRICE HERE IN COLUMBIA, SC" always gives me chills
SirBigSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:21 PM   #170
G&B
purple nurple

Male

CockyCash: 520
G&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBigSpur View Post
ESPN has their moments though. "YOU ARE LOOKING LIFE AT A SOLD OUT WILLIAMS BRICE HERE IN COLUMBIA, SC" always gives me chills
LIFE?
Old 07-10-2014, 11:42 PM   #171
uscgamecocks88
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBigSpur View Post
LIVE*
uscgamecocks88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:14 AM   #172
SC Sandlapper
Mr. 10,000

Male

CockyCash: 1650
SC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot material

There's some brinksmanship going on between ESPN and the cable companies. It happens every time a broadcaster is renegotiating their retransmission agreements. Unfortunately that's just how it's done these days, leaving the poor subscriber to fret. Don't be surprised to see some last-minute deals.
SC Sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:16 AM   #173
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

CockyCash: 1000995751
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Sandlapper View Post
There's some brinksmanship going on between ESPN and the cable companies. It happens every time a broadcaster is renegotiating their retransmission agreements. Unfortunately that's just how it's done these days, leaving the poor subscriber to fret. Don't be surprised to see some last-minute deals.
I sure hope DirecTV is one of them, because I am afraid that I cannot give them enough time for a last minute deal. This is different, we are talking about me missing my games. No way.
Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.
Gamecocks1137 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:46 AM   #174
TerryP
4-Star

Male

TerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscgamecocks88 View Post
Quote:
One has nothing to do with the other.

Consider: Davis Wade was built in 1914, Vaught Hemingway in 1915, Neyland in '21, Bryant Denny in '29 and it ranks as the 8th or 9th oldest in the SEC. My point being a lot of the stadiums are ancient just like the equipment used to carry the television signals.

When ESPN carried a game on Saturday's a lot of the time they were bringing in their equipment to broadcast the signal in HD (if the stadium didn't have that capability.) These stadiums haven't had that ability due to the way they were "wired."

I mentioned this a few days ago and since then I've learned the SEC did issue a mandate (for lack of a better word) to the schools that they needed to upgrade their television studios and equipment in preparation for the SECN.

I was linked to a comment by one Auburn reporter on the Rivals.com network voicing frustrations over the school having to spend almost three million (while also claiming they lost around nine million last year.)

It's entirely possible the games will be in HD. However, to do so, it'll mean that every facility in the SEC will have to be upgraded. I can see a figure of around 3 million covering nine/ten cameras and studio wiring in a football stadium and that's assuming they already have HD cameras.

In today's age of high definition, it is a little puzzling why we haven't heard more on this front from the SEC offices. Perhaps, not all is in place yet?
TerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:55 AM   #175
TerryP
4-Star

Male

TerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervous

Just as a side note: For Comcast customers I'd keep a close eye on the Houston area as the deal maker/breaker. It's squarely within the A&M TV footprint, they're the largest provider in the Houston area with competition from Cox and AT&T.
TerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:25 AM   #176
FlorenceCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1200000
FlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryP View Post
One has nothing to do with the other.

Consider: Davis Wade was built in 1914, Vaught Hemingway in 1915, Neyland in '21, Bryant Denny in '29 and it ranks as the 8th or 9th oldest in the SEC. My point being a lot of the stadiums are ancient just like the equipment used to carry the television signals.

When ESPN carried a game on Saturday's a lot of the time they were bringing in their equipment to broadcast the signal in HD (if the stadium didn't have that capability.) These stadiums haven't had that ability due to the way they were "wired."

I mentioned this a few days ago and since then I've learned the SEC did issue a mandate (for lack of a better word) to the schools that they needed to upgrade their television studios and equipment in preparation for the SECN.

I was linked to a comment by one Auburn reporter on the Rivals.com network voicing frustrations over the school having to spend almost three million (while also claiming they lost around nine million last year.)

It's entirely possible the games will be in HD. However, to do so, it'll mean that every facility in the SEC will have to be upgraded. I can see a figure of around 3 million covering nine/ten cameras and studio wiring in a football stadium and that's assuming they already have HD cameras.

In today's age of high definition, it is a little puzzling why we haven't heard more on this front from the SEC offices. Perhaps, not all is in place yet?
I am not sure what you are getting at here. It has always been the case that whoever was broadcasting the game used their own equipment to film it and send the signal out. The schools are not responsible for any of the broadcast equipment as far as the games are concerned. All SEC schools are spending money to build and upgrade facilities in order for the SEC network to have a place on campus to broadcast from you are correct about that part.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:04 AM   #177
evan_aggie
Recruit

Male

evan_aggie is sharpening his clawsevan_aggie is sharpening his clawsevan_aggie is sharpening his clawsevan_aggie is sharpening his claws

Comcast and SEC Network are already near reaching an agreement. TWC on the other hand... I have no idea. I suspect I'll be dropping TWC even though I plan on attending all A&M games in person (including Thursday, 8/28 at at WB).

I look forward to the environment.
evan_aggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:21 AM   #178
bigduff32
Freshman All-American

Male

CockyCash: 200
bigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his comb

So why do I feel like the odd man out here with Charter... does anybody have any updates on negotiations with them if any?
Old 07-11-2014, 11:54 AM   #179
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 2178
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan_aggie View Post
Comcast and SEC Network are already near reaching an agreement. TWC on the other hand... I have no idea. I suspect I'll be dropping TWC even though I plan on attending all A&M games in person (including Thursday, 8/28 at at WB).

I look forward to the environment.
This is what Comcast is putting out.

Quote:
Comcast spokesperson John Demming told Outkick that the two sides are “working out final details.” He also told Outkick, “We expect to come to an agreement in the near future.”
LINK

The SEC Network Twitter feed does not corroborate the Comcast allegation.

Therefore, I think it is Comcast bullsh*t to keep you from switching. I think Comcast is going to screw you people that don't switch in time to get the first game. However, Comcast could be telling you the truth. It is just now that it is getting close to when a lot of people are switching, and all of a suddent you get this "official" Comcast press release about an allegedly immenent deal. Color me skeptical.
Old 07-11-2014, 12:43 PM   #180
GabbieM
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 850
GabbieM is crowing loudlyGabbieM is crowing loudlyGabbieM is crowing loudlyGabbieM is crowing loudlyGabbieM is crowing loudlyGabbieM is crowing loudlyGabbieM is crowing loudlyGabbieM is crowing loudlyGabbieM is crowing loudlyGabbieM is crowing loudlyGabbieM is crowing loudly

I'm just sick of having to have some form of television package to get sports. It's really crappy how games from ESPN require you to have a valid subscription to even watch their ESPN3 stuff online.

I have a feeling that if something doesn't change soon with the whole television package requirement for sports, piracy is going to become quite rampant and much easier accessible for everyone who's just sick of it.

Down this way, we have Windstream, Time Warner, Dish, Direct TV, and AT&T.

Well, Windstream & AT&T services here are crap. Dish and Direct TV don't offer internet. So Time Warner has the market for anyone wanting the fastest internet they can get out here. On top of that, you get the internet quite a bit cheaper when you hold on to their television packages.

If it wasn't for sports, I would just have internet. There are way too many streaming services that cost pennies compared to these television packages bundled with all the foreign language and music crap I have no use for. If TWC keeps adding these Spanish television channels and won't go with the SEC Network, they are doomed all around outside their internet package.

To CAP all the above off, Time Warner Cable is rolling out their MAXX service to everyone with their internet packages in their NY and Cali markets, along with Texas. No go for us here since you know, there is no competition.

/endrant
GabbieM is offline   Reply With Quote