CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
StormOfTalons
Acockolypse Now
spareparts
b381l
elcid99
sporkgod50
auslander
75CarolinaFan
conwaycock2
M.C.
An Aggies View of th (1015)
My predictions for 2 (982)
Tennessee (679)
Mike Davis' HS Coach (665)
Elcid99 (619)
Question on Student (458)
Erin Murray's brothe (431)
Clowney in Practice (417)
SEC Recruiting Advan (389)
Camp scheduled relea (334)
2015 Commitment - Mon Den
Not a Rival..
Keith Stone (2016 Prospec
2015 - Zack Bailey
Mike Davis' HS Coach on H
Tevin Mack SG 6-5, 200 (2
2015 - Jarred Reuter
Doral Moore
Tennessee
Ranking the Opposing Fanb

Old 07-09-2014, 12:44 AM   #181
cockypippen
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
cockypippen has hatched from the shell
Default Re: 2015 Commitment - Damon Arnette

Welcome aboard! I'm a big fan of big corners. Can someone please enlighten me as to why ESPN hasn't given him a scout grade? Given his high school and offer sheet I would figure they would have something?
Old 07-09-2014, 12:49 AM   #182
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Going to be a big player for us. We're now down to 1 more DB.
Who and when.......Davis or Abernathy.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:50 AM   #183
StormOfTalons
4-Star

Male

StormOfTalons has developed his gaff and talonsStormOfTalons has developed his gaff and talonsStormOfTalons has developed his gaff and talonsStormOfTalons has developed his gaff and talonsStormOfTalons has developed his gaff and talonsStormOfTalons has developed his gaff and talonsStormOfTalons has developed his gaff and talonsStormOfTalons has developed his gaff and talonsStormOfTalons has developed his gaff and talonsStormOfTalons has developed his gaff and talonsStormOfTalons has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockypippen View Post
Welcome aboard! I'm a big fan of big corners. Can someone please enlighten me as to why ESPN hasn't given him a scout grade? Given his high school and offer sheet I would figure they would have something?
Because ESPN sucks when it comes to covering recruiting.
StormOfTalons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 01:14 AM   #184
AtlGamecock3307
Starter

Male

AtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPit

Hope he can stick at cb. Love tall cbs with speed. Very hard to find.
AtlGamecock3307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:26 AM   #185
uscGRAD04
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 833
uscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot material

Heard that he's 6'2 but possibly a chance to grow even more. He's been having knee pain that the doctors diagnose as growing pain.

He could end up being a Taylor Mays type safety for us.
uscGRAD04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:49 AM   #186
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

He is the new generation of NFL-sized corners...6'2.
I love guys that size those with our defense.
If it doesn't work at corner, an easy move to safety.

Crazy thought, depending on his tackling ability, if he grows enough, could we move him to Spur possibly?
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 01:42 PM   #187
donbgamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 2200
donbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
He is the new generation of NFL-sized corners...6'2.
I love guys that size those with our defense.
If it doesn't work at corner, an easy move to safety.

Crazy thought, depending on his tackling ability, if he grows enough, could we move him to Spur possibly?
Yep, there have been a few references to him possibly moving into the SPUR position.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:53 PM   #188
GarnetInChicago
シカゴのカキ

Male

CockyCash: 45500347
GarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by donbgamecock View Post
Yep, there have been a few references to him possibly moving into the SPUR position.
He actually mentioned that for high school this year he's transitioning to his team's "bandit position" comparing it to LSU's "bandit." I'm not sure that LSU has a bandit position? He's probably referring to how they used Tyrann Mathieu (technically listed as a SAM linebacker but playing anywhere other than than on the line). But it sounds like he's talking about playing a hybrid type of DB position like Spur is for us or perhaps more like a Safety / CB hybrid role. If it's the former, then that could help in making a transition to spur someday if his body changes much more.
GarnetInChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 02:43 PM   #189
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetInChicago View Post
He actually mentioned that for high school this year he's transitioning to his team's "bandit position" comparing it to LSU's "bandit." I'm not sure that LSU has a bandit position? He's probably referring to how they used Tyrann Mathieu (technically listed as a SAM linebacker but playing anywhere other than than on the line). But it sounds like he's talking about playing a hybrid type of DB position like Spur is for us or perhaps more like a Safety / CB hybrid role. If it's the former, then that could help in making a transition to spur someday if his body changes much more.
I just remember Arnette is about the same size Antonio Allen was coming out of HS (6'2, 195, Arnette will probably be about that when he graduates).

Also, aren't Larenz Bryant and Jordan Diggs both about 6'2, 190 when they came to USC?
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:26 AM   #190
Toneski
Walk On

Male

Toneski is learning to peckToneski is learning to peck

Arnette was interviewed on Columbia radio yesterday (560 AM). He was asked if he was talking to Jordan Scarlett about SC and said he was and that Scarlett will be taking an OV to SC in the fall.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:36 AM   #191
uscGRAD04
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 833
uscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot material

Good news. If he visits a Miami game and then comes to one of our games he will no doubt be impressed with Columbia.

I know recruits love "THE U" but all I can think about is this:

vs this:

uscGRAD04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:43 AM   #192
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 749
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscGRAD04 View Post
Good news. If he visits a Miami game and then comes to one of our games he will no doubt be impressed with Columbia.

Why do I get the feeling that every highly rated guy that commits to the U doesn't find out about this until the first game?
Old 07-16-2014, 09:42 PM   #193
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toneski View Post
Arnette was interviewed on Columbia radio yesterday (560 AM). He was asked if he was talking to Jordan Scarlett about SC and said he was and that Scarlett will be taking an OV to SC in the fall.
I'll be shocked if that visit ever happens......
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:02 PM   #194
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 94340
MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscGRAD04 View Post

vs this:

That's what I've been thinking for a while. Miami was good 10+ years ago, and the weather down there is nice, but their fan support is abysmal and they have no home field advantage whatsoever. They're a mid tier acc team, which is a horrible football conference as a whole. They also have a lot of depth at RB, they have FOUR 4 star RB's committed right now. SC is such a better destination for Scarlett's career, you really can't even compare us to miami right now.

-Abo Swinney, April 23, 2014

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...steve-spurrier

Last edited by MWard; 07-16-2014 at 11:43 PM.
MWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:38 PM   #195
cockybreeyan
Bowl MVP

Male

cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit

So what I'm ready is Arnette can play pretty much anywhere on defense except the line? That's awesome - now I understand why a lot of people really wanted him so badly. Didn't realize he was 6'2".
cockybreeyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:57 AM   #196
SCohioBoy
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
SCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPit

Anyone know if he is still going to o$u Friday?

http://247sports.com/Bolt/Three-from...ights-29616179
Old 07-28-2014, 11:12 AM   #197
davisd9
4-Star

Male

davisd9 has developed his gaff and talonsdavisd9 has developed his gaff and talonsdavisd9 has developed his gaff and talonsdavisd9 has developed his gaff and talonsdavisd9 has developed his gaff and talonsdavisd9 has developed his gaff and talonsdavisd9 has developed his gaff and talonsdavisd9 has developed his gaff and talonsdavisd9 has developed his gaff and talonsdavisd9 has developed his gaff and talonsdavisd9 has developed his gaff and talons

Any news from his OSU visit?
davisd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:27 AM   #198
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 94340
MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by davisd9 View Post
Any news from his OSU visit?
He went there, he was one of their top performers at the camp for DB's. He met with the position coach and Def Coor. They told him they wanted him and they weren't going to stop recruiting him. He told them he would take an OV up there. He's taking an OV here and to some other schools as well.

-Abo Swinney, April 23, 2014

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...steve-spurrier
MWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:27 AM   #199
davisd9
4-Star

Male

davisd9 has developed his gaff and talonsdavisd9 has developed his gaff and talonsdavisd9 has developed his gaff and talonsdavisd9 has developed his gaff and talonsdavisd9 has developed his gaff and talonsdavisd9 has developed his gaff and talonsdavisd9 has developed his gaff and talonsdavisd9 has developed his gaff and talonsdavisd9 has developed his gaff and talonsdavisd9 has developed his gaff and talonsdavisd9 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWard View Post
He went there, he was one of their top performers at the camp for DB's. He met with the position coach and Def Coor. They told him they wanted him and they weren't going to stop recruiting him. He told them he would take an OV up there. He's taking an OV here and to some other schools as well.

Sounds good. Thanks
davisd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:35 PM   #200
Lonnie
Band

Male

Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockypippen View Post
Welcome aboard! I'm a big fan of big corners.
While tall corners obviously have an easier time defending the jump ball vs tall receivers, short corners usually have looser hips, better change of direction skills and can neutralize taller receivers by playing press-man coverage at the line of scrimmage.

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote