CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
Badazcock
gamecockgal
kingoftheroost
cockfight21
gadeneer1986
b381l
Order 66
garnet_black215
Ahmad
10-2 (1831)
UK promoting a black (1722)
Four UK Players Susp (1305)
I Was Dealing With T (992)
Build a New Stadium (883)
Connor Shaw's fault. (741)
Since everyone loves (562)
QB Recruiting Strate (536)
This program has no (487)
Cleaned up version: (478)
Build a New Stadium
Would You Accept Lame Kif
2016 Commitment - Kyle Da
Funny?
Thoughts on the basketbal
Connor Mitch
Nosovitch
2016 - Tavien Feaster
This program has no ideni
Should Receivers Buy a Ti

Old 07-09-2014, 11:22 AM   #41
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Theory On Why Clemson Loses and We Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
I think the OP hit the nail on the head. We are battle tested and we play the BIG games regularly. Clemson has a difficult time transitioning from playing Wake and NC State to us.
Was true last game, and maybe all of them.

But from '09-'12...they couldn't block our pass rush...especially in the 2nd half. Our pass rush killed them those 4 games in the 2nd half. Our overall speed on defense seemed to shock them in '09 & '10 and we basically blew them out in '11 if you look at the stats. That defense was loaded with NFL guys.

Yea...they have gotten better on defense and a lot faster...and it's quite clear they are scrambling to catchup with the Gamecocks, which is a new place for us. I'm convinced if we were not very good, CU would not be trying as hard.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:28 AM   #42
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 200
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
Was true last game, and maybe all of them.

But from '09-'12...they couldn't block our pass rush...especially in the 2nd half. Our pass rush killed them those 4 games in the 2nd half. Our overall speed on defense seemed to shock them in '09 & '10 and we basically blew them out in '11 if you look at the stats. That defense was loaded with NFL guys.

Yea...they have gotten better on defense and a lot faster...and it's quite clear they are scrambling to catchup with the Gamecocks, which is a new place for us. I'm convinced if we were not very good, CU would not be trying as hard.
We will have to find other ways to beat them over the next couple years. Last year it was Connor Shaw and our ability to force turnovers. What will it be this year?
Old 07-09-2014, 11:39 AM   #43
Legalman72
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 19008950
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material

Serious question and not smack: Does Clemson have a running game? They used to always seem to have a great running back. Now, not so much. I know their QB is a smaller, accurate type. They'll have some receivers. I think their OL is average. But I know nothing about their running game.
Legalman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:43 AM   #44
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 500
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
That could be the reason too.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:58 AM   #45
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legalman72 View Post
Serious question and not smack: Does Clemson have a running game? They used to always seem to have a great running back. Now, not so much. I know their QB is a smaller, accurate type. They'll have some receivers. I think their OL is average. But I know nothing about their running game.
They have had 1,000 yard rushers in Ellington and McDowell...but their run game isn't consistent. Their guys get chunks of yards, but don't get third and short yardage when it counts. Also, their backs pad their stats, and then don't show up against top competition.

Just look at last year.
McDowell had 1,025 yards and 5 TDs.
How did he do against top competiton?
UGA: 132 yards
FSU: 61 yards
USC: 111 yards, 1 TD
OSU: 69 yards

4 games, 373 yards, 1 TD. But McDowell could not get tough yards when needed, and couldn't score when it counted. Again, yards are nice, but TDs count more.

Compare him to Davis, who was hurt most of the season.
1,183 yards and 11 TDs.
In his big games (UGA, UF, Clemson, Wisconsin) his numbers were:
UGA: 149 yards, TD
UF: 54 yards
Clemson: 22 yards, TD
Wisconsin: 49 yards

4 games, 274 yards but 2 touchdowns while battling injury.

Hurt, Mike Davis is more effective than a healthy Rod McDowell.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:05 PM   #46
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
We will have to find other ways to beat them over the next couple years. Last year it was Connor Shaw and our ability to force turnovers. What will it be this year?
Well they will not have Boyd and Watkins and one other WR guy. Not sure their passing game will be as big a factor. Hard to say until both teams start playing.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:15 PM   #47
Latt7more
Ball so hard...

Male

CockyCash: 200
Latt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPit

Here's my theory:

We have Spurrier
Clemson has Dabo
Old 07-09-2014, 01:44 PM   #48
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 89095
CockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPit

I'm not sure that us speculating why we are better helps us when we have trolls and spies reading everything we post but I know the reasons why we have surpassed them.
THE University of SOUTH CAROLINA!

CockyLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 01:44 PM   #49
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

We used to use the SEC as an excuse for why we lost the game; we were just too "beat up" after facing an SEC schedule.

The truth is simply we've recruited better talent and have better coaches.

That's it.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:48 PM   #50
Spurz
Class of 2009

Male

Spurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
Well they will not have Boyd and Watkins and one other WR guy. Not sure their passing game will be as big a factor. Hard to say until both teams start playing.
You're probably thinking of Martavis Bryant. I agree, their offense is going to be very interesting to watch and could possibly be mediocre/bad compared to the production they've been used to getting from that unit. Their defense might have to carry them this year.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:43 PM   #51
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post
We used to use the SEC as an excuse for why we lost the game; we were just too "beat up" after facing an SEC schedule.

That's it.
I think this goes back to the depth argument.
Cock Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 03:04 PM   #52
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurz View Post
You're probably thinking of Martavis Bryant. I agree, their offense is going to be very interesting to watch and could possibly be mediocre/bad compared to the production they've been used to getting from that unit. Their defense might have to carry them this year.
Yep. Figure they had a run like UGA: QB who started for 4 seasons...Boyd may have tanked v. Gamecocks, but he did play well v. lots of other teams. He is one of their best QBs ever and Watkins was special...
...'cepts when he played our guys.
We may have seen their best team for a while last season.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:17 PM   #53
RHHS8068
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 51477
RHHS8068 rules the CockPitRHHS8068 rules the CockPitRHHS8068 rules the CockPitRHHS8068 rules the CockPitRHHS8068 rules the CockPitRHHS8068 rules the CockPitRHHS8068 rules the CockPitRHHS8068 rules the CockPitRHHS8068 rules the CockPitRHHS8068 rules the CockPitRHHS8068 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post

That's it.
No doubt the main reason is we have better talent on the field and on the sidelines.

However, beginning in 2010, the clemson game moved out one week and we added an relatively easy non-conference game. From 1993 through 2009, we ended the season with 4 to 6 SEC games and then played clemson. The only times this did not happen were 2001, when we had Wofford prior to Florida, and 2006, when we had MTSU prior to clemson. And as you all recall, we won in both 2001 and 2006.

Scheduling makes a huge difference. I don't think we will ever see and SEC game prior to the clemson game again. At least I hope not.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:27 PM   #54
Spurz
Class of 2009

Male

Spurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHHS8068 View Post
No doubt the main reason is we have better talent on the field and on the sidelines.

However, beginning in 2010, the clemson game moved out one week and we added an relatively easy non-conference game. From 1993 through 2009, we ended the season with 4 to 6 SEC games and then played clemson. The only times this did not happen were 2001, when we had Wofford prior to Florida, and 2006, when we had MTSU prior to clemson. And as you all recall, we won in both 2001 and 2006.

Scheduling makes a huge difference. I don't think we will ever see and SEC game prior to the clemson game again. At least I hope not.
I remember a few years when we had bye weeks before Clemson and we played horribly, so that's kind of weird. Totally agree, though, that putting an FCS team before Clemson is ideal and part of the recipe of our success. It functions somewhat like a bye week, but the players still get reps.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:20 PM   #55
RHHS8068
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 51477
RHHS8068 rules the CockPitRHHS8068 rules the CockPitRHHS8068 rules the CockPitRHHS8068 rules the CockPitRHHS8068 rules the CockPitRHHS8068 rules the CockPitRHHS8068 rules the CockPitRHHS8068 rules the CockPitRHHS8068 rules the CockPitRHHS8068 rules the CockPitRHHS8068 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurz View Post
I remember a few years when we had bye weeks before Clemson
I don't believe we've had an open week before clemson since 1966.

You can verify here as I did not look at every year:
http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data...lina/index.php
Old 07-09-2014, 05:55 PM   #56
markp_vip
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 6001866
markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyLifer View Post
I'm not sure that us speculating why we are better helps us when we have trolls and spies reading everything we post but I know the reasons why we have surpassed them.
Another reason we beat them, they piece their gameplan together from threads on CockyTalk.
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day.
markp_vip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 06:43 PM   #57
USCfootball
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 116336
USCfootball has earned his spursUSCfootball has earned his spursUSCfootball has earned his spursUSCfootball has earned his spursUSCfootball has earned his spursUSCfootball has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latt7more View Post
Here's my theory:

We have Spurrier
Clemson has Dabo

This. They outplayed us in practically every aspect of the game last Fall and yet with excellent playcalling by the Ball Coach - we won.
USCfootball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 06:57 PM   #58
Lonnie
Band

Male

Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legalman72 View Post
Yes.

It's called the bubble screen.

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:05 PM   #59
seamus
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 400
seamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudly

IMHO we, by far, have better coaching. The best thing clemsux has done for us, is to extend Dumbo for 8 years. SOS is a far superior coach, and has put together an outstanding staff.
seamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:26 PM   #60
jch81
Blue Chip

Male

jch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
They have had 1,000 yard rushers in Ellington and McDowell...but their run game isn't consistent. Their guys get chunks of yards, but don't get third and short yardage when it counts. Also, their backs pad their stats, and then don't show up against top competition.

Just look at last year.
McDowell had 1,025 yards and 5 TDs.
How did he do against top competiton?
UGA: 132 yards
FSU: 61 yards
USC: 111 yards, 1 TD
OSU: 69 yards

4 games, 373 yards, 1 TD. But McDowell could not get tough yards when needed, and couldn't score when it counted. Again, yards are nice, but TDs count more.

Compare him to Davis, who was hurt most of the season.
1,183 yards and 11 TDs.
In his big games (UGA, UF, Clemson, Wisconsin) his numbers were:
UGA: 149 yards, TD
UF: 54 yards
Clemson: 22 yards, TD
Wisconsin: 49 yards

4 games, 274 yards but 2 touchdowns while battling injury.

Hurt, Mike Davis is more effective than a healthy Rod McDowell.
You realize that statement makes absolutely no sense when comparing big games. McDowell had almost 100 yds more than Davis against top competition. And if we are throwing out crutches like injuries McDowell is missing part of one foot and actually wears about 2 size smaller shoe on one foot compared to the other.
jch81 is offline   Reply With Quote