CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Master Bedroom
RGHoskins
Gamecocks1137
El Cid Ranger
kingofnerf
ReadR00ster
The Yancey
2000grad
gadeneer1986
taylorssc
Fight, win, kick a-- (1041)
SC vs Auburn -- Play (897)
CFN prediction for a (817)
Why I'm hopeful abou (671)
The Gator Bowl wants (638)
A simple defensive l (597)
What happened to thi (566)
USC will upset Aubur (565)
Ranking Top HC jobs (442)
This is War (399)
The Gator Bowl wants us!
Ranking the SEC Football
Why I'm hopeful about Aub
Media tabs South Carolina
Cann tipping plays?
Name a Gamecock
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Five Upstate High School
USC will upset Auburn; Wh
Which loss hurt worse, Mi

Old 07-09-2014, 07:44 PM   #61
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material
Default Re: Theory On Why Clemson Loses and We Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legalman72 View Post
I'm not sure we're better at creating body mass, I'd say we focus more on functional strength and conditioning.
This and also our program is designed to encourage greater participation through games that make workouts more fun.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:39 PM   #62
TAFC 5 1981
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
TAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legalman72 View Post
Serious question and not smack: Does Clemson have a running game? They used to always seem to have a great running back. Now, not so much. I know their QB is a smaller, accurate type. They'll have some receivers. I think their OL is average. But I know nothing about their running game.

I have the same concerns; maybe one will emerge.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:44 PM   #63
TAFC 5 1981
Blue Chip

Male

TAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp_vip View Post
Another reason we beat them, they piece their gameplan together from threads on CockyTalk.

No we don't. We would have a better plan if we did.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:45 PM   #64
TAFC 5 1981
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
That could be the reason too.

I don't understand the dig on the training vid; just curious.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:39 PM   #65
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFC 5 1981 View Post
I don't understand the dig on the training vid; just curious.
I'm guessing it shows how boring the Clemson program is. I watched about 15 seconds of it and then, [yawn], I couldn't take anymore.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:50 PM   #66
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 58166
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

Idk... Doak Campbell is a very good environment.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:58 PM   #67
GREENVILLE COCKPIT
Injured Reserved

Male

CockyCash: 32257
GREENVILLE COCKPIT rules the CockPitGREENVILLE COCKPIT rules the CockPitGREENVILLE COCKPIT rules the CockPitGREENVILLE COCKPIT rules the CockPitGREENVILLE COCKPIT rules the CockPitGREENVILLE COCKPIT rules the CockPitGREENVILLE COCKPIT rules the CockPitGREENVILLE COCKPIT rules the CockPitGREENVILLE COCKPIT rules the CockPitGREENVILLE COCKPIT rules the CockPitGREENVILLE COCKPIT rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by henmania View Post
FWIW, I asked Spurrier this question after the 2012 season when we won our 4th in a row. He said we had better depth now than we did before. We have enough depth to go through a brutal SEC schedule and still have more talent on the field than Clempson. Moreover, he felt several of the years prior to 2009 we had the better team to start the season but nothing left when the Clempson game rolled around. What gives me confidence this year is that we have the most returning letterman of any college team in major football. Think about that.
There are so many comments on here that have really told the story on what it is all about. But Hen I liked what you had to say because it struck a memory nerve. Back in 89 I was hanging the wallpaper in a major renovation project at Jervey Athletic Center. We were there for several weeks so I had the opportunity to talk with most of the coaches and Clyde Wren about every day. Talking with Tommy West and Miles Aldridge one day and I asked them about the success they had become accustomed to, and basically it was what Spurrier said to Hen here. Recruiting better players and developing the mindset it took to be successful. He talked about a few players over the years mainly linebackers and db's that were so talented ''his wife could coach them''. Can't remember his name now but they called him ''The Judge'' back then. Said he didn't have to coach him because it just came natural to him. The thing is those teams had the ''ATTITUDE'' It started with Danny and it filtered down thru the coaches to the players. He said it wasn't so much beating us, as it was ''TO NOT LOSE TO US''
I believe we now have those kind of players, and it's up to each class to pass it down. it's up to each player to feel it on the practice field and to make sure your teammates feel it in the weight room. I believe all the players that have been mentioned here had the attitude !!!!! OK we still have that one game each year that haunts us. HAH I remember when we had 3 or 4 like that.
LET'S GO 12 - 0 and see what happens after that !!!!!
clem6ix
7heaven
Doma8ater !!!
Old 07-10-2014, 09:01 AM   #68
pitchcock
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 29792600
pitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalli25 View Post
I think we have finally gotten the depth on the roster to survive the SEC schedule and come into the Clemson game with the advantage the tough grind has created. Before our starters were good enough to play with anyone but after a few injuries and whatnot, we weren't nearly as good as we could be. On the other hand, Clemson was playing a less demanding schedule which allowed them to play at a higher level than USC.
This is a big part of it.

We had too many years where we had some great individual players, but absolutely zero depth behind them. One or two injuries would create huge holes on both sides of the ball, and that's not even taking into account the wear/tear/bumps/bruises from the grind of the season.

Our upgrade in quality depth helps explain how we've beaten them with a second team QB or a third string RB over the last few years. Ten years ago that never would've happened.
pitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:12 AM   #69
pitchcock
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 29792600
pitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
I'm convinced that the freshman Class of 2009 was the key to what
turned this program and the rivalry around, and in our favor.I also think
very strongly that the core was the talented kids we pulled in from this
state. Stephon Gilmore, Devonte Holloman, Damario Jeffery, Alshon Jeffery,
DJ Swearinger, Justice Cunningham .... Whatever it was, I know it was that class that sparked the program, and
gave Spurrier a twinkle in his eye about play calling with a very deep and
very talented team.
Well said. And just to think, a few of those guys supposedly were leans to Clemson at one point.

Those guys are probably what kept Spurrier here. He's admitted he was having doubts and was thinking about hanging it up, but that surge of talent started changing things.
pitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:22 AM   #70
Coondog
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Coondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
I'm convinced that the freshman Class of 2009 was the key to what
turned this program and the rivalry around, and in our favor. It goes (IMO)
beyond just the talent in that class. We've had talented Classes in the
past. I think we found a group of leaders in that class that pass on the
right kind of instructions to those that came behind them. ... I also think
very strongly that the core was the talented kids we pulled in from this
state. Stephon Gilmore, Devonte Holloman, Damario Jeffery, Alshon Jeffery,
DJ Swearinger, Justice Cunningham .... Grew up steeped in the rivalry, and
were highly recruited by both schools. Once they signed with SC, they knew
well about the Clemson/SC game and got busy putting their talent towards
making the Gamecocks the better school in the rivalry game. They
came from a time in SC football where a lot of their rivals in HS and
even some on their own team, went to Clemson, so there was an added
incentive to prove they were not only the better player in the State in
HS, but could take that to the next level against their rivals in college.

Whatever it was, I know it was that class that sparked the program, and
gave Spurrier a twinkle in his eye about play calling with a very deep and
very talented team.

I said for years when talking about the Clemson / Carolina rivalry that
in order for us to turn it around, SC would need to run off three / four
wins in a row, and I said at the time, that one of them would have to
be a "DECISIVE" win (by 25-30 points or more). We didn't get that major
blowout I thought we needed, but running off 5 in a row by double digit
margins, against the best team Clemson has put together since Danny
Ford and the 80s, was a HUGE Factor in SC's ability to change what
was in regards to the rivalry game from our standpoint. I really think it
was 80% mental most of those years. It took a run of 3-4 games and
all by more than 10 points to get the old way of approaching the game
out of the player's heads, and now they approach it as "we are the
better program in this rivalry and this state, and if you want to change
that...... better pack a lunch and plan on some overtime"

It would be ridiculous to say we will never lose again. .. .We will lose
a game at some point soon. But I would be willing to bet that we've
seen then end of those 3/1 -4/1 Clemson win ratios again. This rivalry
will become more of a rivalry from this point forward, and I think the
class of 2009 was the foundation of the turnaround.

I would have to add Spurrier completely revamping his coaching staff prior to that class. It seems that the new assistant coaches have not just recruited better athletes but higher character kids as well and it has shown not just on the field but in the classroom as well.

The 2009 class was definitely the turning point but the new coaching staff was the foundation for taking that next step.
Coondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:33 AM   #71
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchcock View Post
Our upgrade in quality depth helps explain how we've beaten them with a second team QB or a third string RB over the last few years. Ten years ago that never would've happened.
And shows up big in the 2nd half. CU has had horrible 2nd halfs against our guys 4 years in a row. Think about it....they have averaged exactly 3.2 pts against our defenses the past 4 games.

How does 3.2 compare to their season averages with that offense they had? Depth, speed, and dominating their OL has been the key factors.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:39 AM   #72
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coondog View Post
...but the new coaching staff was the foundation for taking that next step.
Totally agree. Better coaches on both sides of the ball.

The move to the 4-2 has done wonders for the kinds of guys we can recruit on defense and bringing in G.A. Mangus and Eric Wolford/Shawn Elliott were huge hires. Those 3 coaches are not only directly responsible for recruiting key QB and OL guys, but also developing them into solid SEC players.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 02:16 PM   #73
jayceecock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 573
jayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPit

I remember a couple of years ago, there was an interesting interview with Chuck Reedy about the Palmetto State Rivalry.

Coach Reedy gave a very good insight on the current rivalry. He had coached at Clemson for 11 years under Danny Ford as the OC and Asst Head Coach. I think they were 8-2-1 vs Carolina during his tenure.

He said that two Clemson coaches had expressed they would have a hard time ever beating Carolina until they became more physical.

The fact that Carolina plays in the SEC has made them a more physical program, where as Clemson plays in the ACC, it's not a physical conference. So, when they have to play Carolina that is a physical team, they would have to change in order to beat them.

http://www.instantradiorivals.com/20...t-chuck-reedy/

I remember those Clemson teams in the 80's that dominated Carolina. They played, hard, fast and physical. There was no finesse, they just ran the ball down your throat and wore teams out in the second half.

I think we do the same thing to Clemson now. Play physical and hardnosed, run the ball, control the clock and force them make the mistakes.
jayceecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 03:10 PM   #74
Spurz
Class of 2009

Male

Spurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHHS8068 View Post
I don't believe we've had an open week before clemson since 1966.

You can verify here as I did not look at every year:
http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data...lina/index.php
Huh, good call. I could've sworn we had one or two sometime in the mid-2000s. Not sure what I was thinking of, then.
Old 07-12-2014, 11:16 AM   #75
conwaycock2
Two Deep

Male

conwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockymac View Post
Better talent on the DL. That's why I'm scared for this year. Our DL is totally a question mark.

Yup. It would be very difficult to make a rational argument against those thoughts. Agree completely.
conwaycock2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:07 PM   #76
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

CockyCash: 104965
JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material

Depth, recruiting, coaching and the end of the year Orange Crush not being so tough on us any more. We used to face UT, UF, Arkansas, and Clemson to end the year with those SEC schools all being pretty good. We now expect to beat UT, should beat UF, and now have a cupcake right before the tater game where hopefully we aren't so beat up. Even when we lose a player, our second string is not as bug a drop off as it was.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:01 PM   #77
jch81
Blue Chip

Male

jch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCfootball View Post
This. They outplayed us in practically every aspect of the game last Fall and yet with excellent playcalling by the Ball Coach - we won.
More like the fact that Clemson had 6 turnovers in that game is the reason SC won
jch81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:11 PM   #78
Order 66
2nd Team All-American

Male

Order 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot material

It's depth. Years ago we were beat up by the time Nov arrived and couldn't hold up against a Clemson team that plays no one all season. Fast forward 5 years to a team with quality depth (most seasons), and the ability to give that depth quality experience. Add that to Lorenzo, Mangus, and Elliott on the sidelines for so long and you have a big reason for this stretch. I don't think we played as well as we should have in that game....should have blow Clemson out of the water.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:13 PM   #79
Order 66
2nd Team All-American

Male

Order 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by jch81 View Post
More like the fact that Clemson had 6 turnovers in that game is the reason SC won
Poor play calling (First int), and players that choke when it mattered (Tajh for Heisman?) and you have your reason for losing. Take away the int's/fumbles and I still don't thing Clemson scores anymore on us.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:26 PM   #80
robgusc76
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101200
robgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to robgusc76

Quote:
Originally Posted by jch81 View Post
I think what you meant to say was Clemson turned the ball over and South Carolina capitalized on mistakes and miscues, which is what good football teams do. The best turnover was when your boy Tajh got pinked and stripped. Do they even lift weights in Clemson?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Order 66 View Post
Poor play calling (First int), and players that choke when it mattered (Tajh for Heisman?) and you have your reason for losing. Take away the int's/fumbles and I still don't thing Clemson scores anymore on us.
It was a good play call, but once again South Carolina's defense was coached up and knew what to look for. Safeties read the motion of the play and saw the receiver leaking out and made a play on the ball. That was good play calling vs. good coaching.
robgusc76 is offline   Reply With Quote