CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CoverTwo
uscjeremynca
Acockolypse Now
WeStillOwnUSC
b381l
El Cid Ranger
auslander
Spurticus
The Yancey
GarnetSwarm1990
Blake McClain (911)
What ever happened t (884)
Clemson, Auburn home (565)
Fall Camp. (556)
The Believer - Spurr (402)
Clowney's Madden Rat (282)
This is why I gave u (272)
2017 - Jaden Hunter (265)
2016 - B.J. Emmons (225)
Daily Dose of Food P (202)
Green and Lammons
Blake McClain
Ranking the SEC Stadium A
2015 - Zack Bailey
Clemson, Auburn home and
Clemson Recruiting...how
35 ways to eat a tomato
Shaw Interview: SB Nation
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Best Offensive "Trip

Old 07-10-2014, 01:21 PM   #21
CockFighter
yeah boy

Male

CockyCash: 500
CockFighter has hatched from the shell
Default Re: English at 250 (twitter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy66 View Post
No one goes thru fall camp and loses just a pound. This is from someone who knows from experience. As a coach I've seen kids drop 5-10#'s in a day but everyone will drop over the month of August. Darius will end up 5-8#'s lighter.
A lot of guys don't lose weight who are already conditioned and on a good diet. Swearinger did not appear to lose a pound because he worked out constantly. As Connolly stated this group is very motivated and participates in summer training on their own. The heat might be an exception that is the toughest thing about football conditioning. I've seen high motor players not hydrate enough and lose weight. But I'm confident our nutritionist has already covered this with our players.
CockFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 04:25 PM   #22
Ace Dilcock
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 680
Ace Dilcock is developing his combAce Dilcock is developing his combAce Dilcock is developing his combAce Dilcock is developing his combAce Dilcock is developing his combAce Dilcock is developing his combAce Dilcock is developing his combAce Dilcock is developing his combAce Dilcock is developing his comb

Clowney played at 6' 6", 256 last year - English is within 6 lbs. right now and has time to add more weight. No one talked about Clowney being undersized last year and English will be fine if he is around the same weight. English was already - pound for pound - one of the strongest players on the team. Also, Lawing said he was the fastest DL he had ever coached - pretty amazing when you realize that Lawing also coached Clowney.

Not saying that English will be as good, but the drop-off could be a lot smaller than people are thinking, especially given Clowney's health issues last year.
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 05:53 PM   #23
GarnetSwarm1990
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 738
GarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Dilcock View Post
Clowney played at 6' 6", 256 last year - English is within 6 lbs. right now and has time to add more weight. No one talked about Clowney being undersized last year and English will be fine if he is around the same weight. English was already - pound for pound - one of the strongest players on the team. Also, Lawing said he was the fastest DL he had ever coached - pretty amazing when you realize that Lawing also coached Clowney.

Not saying that English will be as good, but the drop-off could be a lot smaller than people are thinking, especially given Clowney's health issues last year.
Clowney played in the 270's last year by his own admission.
GarnetSwarm1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 06:12 PM   #24
cockybreeyan
Bowl MVP

Male

cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit

Quote:
No one goes thru fall camp and loses just a pound. This is from someone who knows from experience. As a coach I've seen kids drop 5-10#'s in a day but everyone will drop over the month of August. Darius will end up 5-8#'s lighter.
You've never seen a kid drop ten pounds in a day man
cockybreeyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 06:30 PM   #25
CockFighter
yeah boy

Male

My rating of English on a scale of 1 to 10 for his position.
Quickness (first step) - 8 . Extremely fast first step.
Speed - 9 - I estimate he runs 4.55 - 4.60 in the 40yd dash. Excellent speed for his position.
Motor – 9 - He has excellent endurance and can run all day.
Strength - 8 Pound for Pound strongest defensive player plus he's added 25lbs since December
Hand usage - 6 - I've seen him do good things and bad things.
Flexibility – 6 He could use work here.
Leverage (height) – 9 - Excellent height with long arms and large hands
Reaction time (fast decisions) - 7 His weight got him push out of position a lot last year so I will have to wait to see this year.
Reading plays - 7- He could use work here but he is a smart player so this will come with more game experience.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:10 PM   #26
carolina_corpsman
Blue Chip

Male

carolina_corpsman is developing his combcarolina_corpsman is developing his combcarolina_corpsman is developing his combcarolina_corpsman is developing his combcarolina_corpsman is developing his combcarolina_corpsman is developing his combcarolina_corpsman is developing his combcarolina_corpsman is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockybreeyan View Post
It's happened. It's mostly fluid weight and they gain it right back. However, I have a hard time seeing how someone would go through fall training and not lose any weight no matter how fit they are.
carolina_corpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:03 PM   #27
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_corpsman View Post
It's happened. It's mostly fluid weight and they gain it right back. However, I have a hard time seeing how someone would go through fall training and not lose any weight no matter how fit they are.
It happens a lot during practices. Almost all dehydration and is gained back overnight by drinking and eating. As a 137 weight class college wrestler, I lost 7-10 pounds during a 3 hour practice a bunch of times (We weighed before and after each practice). Losing and gaining fat takes much longer, and muscle much longer even, and is best done in off-season just like the Gamecocks S&C program is designed to do.

If English has bulked-up 25 since last season, he will probably be near that weight at start of fall camp and could easily gain or lose about 5 from his constant weight in a couple of weeks. I'm most interested to see how the extra mass helps him hold and seal and if he's gotten better at shedding blocks. His arm length and strength should be a real plus in keeping tackles from getting onto him. Clowney was known for his moves and quickness, but he had a bull rush that was disruptive as well. He just had to deal with so many doubles and schemes he didn't get to use it much this past year. I'm not sure of English's 40 time - I'd guess 4.65-4.7, but I've never seen a DE sprint to the QB/RB the way Clowney did.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:44 PM   #28
GarnetSwarm1990
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 738
GarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyboy View Post
It happens a lot during practices. Almost all dehydration and is gained back overnight by drinking and eating. As a 137 weight class college wrestler, I lost 7-10 pounds during a 3 hour practice a bunch of times (We weighed before and after each practice). Losing and gaining fat takes much longer, and muscle much longer even, and is best done in off-season just like the Gamecocks S&C program is designed to do.

If English has bulked-up 25 since last season, he will probably be near that weight at start of fall camp and could easily gain or lose about 5 from his constant weight in a couple of weeks. I'm most interested to see how the extra mass helps him hold and seal and if he's gotten better at shedding blocks. His arm length and strength should be a real plus in keeping tackles from getting onto him. Clowney was known for his moves and quickness, but he had a bull rush that was disruptive as well. He just had to deal with so many doubles and schemes he didn't get to use it much this past year. I'm not sure of English's 40 time - I'd guess 4.65-4.7, but I've never seen a DE sprint to the QB/RB the way Clowney did.
Spot on here man. And the best part was English had 2 full years of working with him and watching what Clowney did to succeed.
GarnetSwarm1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:07 AM   #29
JoeMorrisonLives
Blue Chip

Male

JoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetSwarm1990 View Post
Clowney played in the 270's last year by his own admission.
I wouldn't say "his own admission" it was 274 of good weight, that the weight he was when he ran a 4.4 40. HE did however play at 256 his sophomore year. Only reason he tried to lose 8 pounds was because he knew he would be an OLB for Houston.
JoeMorrisonLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 06:40 AM   #30
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

There have been a few ultra light defensive ends that were about as fast as Clowney. I have never seen one his size (270) that fast. But Clowney's best asset was his quickness. That was unique.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:29 AM   #31
Thundercocks- Ho!
Recruit

Male

Thundercocks- Ho! is making other chickens nervousThundercocks- Ho! is making other chickens nervousThundercocks- Ho! is making other chickens nervousThundercocks- Ho! is making other chickens nervousThundercocks- Ho! is making other chickens nervousThundercocks- Ho! is making other chickens nervousThundercocks- Ho! is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
There have been a few ultra light defensive ends that were about as fast as Clowney. I have never seen one his size (270. that fast. But Clowney's best asset was his quickness. That was unique.
And the fact that he could pull QB down if he got just a hand on him. Most guys with his height and speed don't possess that kind of strength
Thundercocks- Ho! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:00 AM   #32
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

CockyCash: 250018
catdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockybreeyan View Post
1986, Newberry College... A linebacker was treated for exhaustion after dropping 16!!! IV fluids and the whole bit... My brother was a walkon in 1984 for Joe Morrison and dropped 9 pounds (225 down to 216) one day in the first week of camp. They weighed before and after each practice.

Any other point to call me out on?
Old 07-11-2014, 08:32 AM   #33
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
1986, Newberry College... A linebacker was treated for exhaustion after dropping 16!!! IV fluids and the whole bit... My brother was a walkon in 1984 for Joe Morrison and dropped 9 pounds (225 down to 216) one day in the first week of camp. They weighed before and after each practice.

Any other point to call me out on?
Yeah. Don't feed the trolls.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:21 AM   #34
CockFighter
yeah boy

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
There have been a few ultra light defensive ends that were about as fast as Clowney. I have never seen one his size (270) that fast. But Clowney's best asset was his quickness. That was unique.
Clowney is also naturally strong(to the point where he doesn't have to be in the weight room as much as other players), flexible, and explosive. He was a very unique college player.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:50 AM   #35
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 71443
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

At the Media Days last year's preseason, Clowney made some headlines by saying he ran a sub-4.5 40 at 256 lbs. If he somehow got up to 270 by the end of the season, then what are we talking about here?