CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
bcolinc
Cockypantherfan
WeStillOwnUSC
Kyle76
18IsTheMan
GSC2013
Spurticus
Roosterboy
ccured
HeadCockFan
The Demise of the 3- (1873)
Pirate Depth Chart (1151)
East Carolina Predic (994)
who thinks we need a (960)
Why didn't Wes Green (899)
Did we ever go after (491)
You guys are horribl (393)
It's the offenses no (289)
Finally Cooled Off (275)
MLS almost ready for (202)
Wesley Green?
Do we have any shot again
East Carolina Prediction
2014-15 Premier League se
The Demise of the 3-4
Carolina opens -15.5
Past SEC Champions who ha
Gamecock football Long Te
Mike Davis "doubtful
Tanner McEvoy should've s

Old 07-10-2014, 05:52 PM   #1
Biocockanics
WMD

Male

CockyCash: 317
Biocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot material
Default Are humans bigger, stronger, faster?

Or are sports more selective based on preferred body types? This is very interesting considering it's based on research.

http://www.ted.com/talks/david_epste...onger#t-692202
Old 07-10-2014, 06:40 PM   #2
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 71443
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Are humans bigger, stronger, faster?

Seems like I recalled that back in the WWII days the typical adult male averaged around 5-10 and 160 lbs.....I don't know for sure about bigger, faster, and stronger but I can almost guarantee fatter.....
Old 07-10-2014, 07:22 PM   #3
HeadCockFan
...where the Pampers is.

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock View Post
Seems like I recalled that back in the WWII days the typical adult male averaged around 5-10 and 160 lbs.....I don't know for sure about bigger, faster, and stronger but I can almost guarantee fatter.....
Bowling has no problems
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:22 PM   #4
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

and dumber also ... Flouride in the water supply has calcified the pineal glands and decreased intelligence in most of the us population. "39 human studies linking moderately high fluoride exposures with reduced intelligence ...." See Link

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:06 PM   #5
paynemd2
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 870
paynemd2 is sharpening his clawspaynemd2 is sharpening his clawspaynemd2 is sharpening his clawspaynemd2 is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biocockanics View Post
Or are sports more selective based on preferred body types? This is very interesting considering it's based on research.

http://www.ted.com/talks/david_epste...onger#t-692202
Def very interesting. I agree that advances in technology and higher participation plus better training techniques and better diets are largely the reasons why athletes are breaking records in sports. But I do believe that athletes are getting bigger and stronger and more efficient also due to better training and diets tailored to their specific sports. I think athletes select their favorite sports at young ages and train their bodies and tailor their diets over their lives to achieve an ideal size for their particular sport. More kids are training their bodies for football and basketball in the US then say soccer. If soccer were the popular sport out best athletes wouldn't train their bodies for football they would do more cardio and train for soccer
paynemd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:18 PM   #6
palmettosc
hypnotoad

Male

CockyCash: 1200
palmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
and dumber also ... Flouride in the water supply has calcified the pineal glands and decreased intelligence in most of the us population. "39 human studies linking moderately high fluoride exposures with reduced intelligence ...." See Link
We should definitely take a study from Fluoride Alert as a reputable source for all things related to fluoride. That toothpaste is out to get us.
If that was the case wouldn't clemson fans be smarter?
palmettosc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:51 PM   #7
Biocockanics
WMD

Male

CockyCash: 317
Biocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by paynemd2 View Post
Def very interesting. I agree that advances in technology and higher participation plus better training techniques and better diets are largely the reasons why athletes are breaking records in sports. But I do believe that athletes are getting bigger and stronger and more efficient also due to better training and diets tailored to their specific sports. I think athletes select their favorite sports at young ages and train their bodies and tailor their diets over their lives to achieve an ideal size for their particular sport. More kids are training their bodies for football and basketball in the US then say soccer. If soccer were the popular sport out best athletes wouldn't train their bodies for football they would do more cardio and train for soccer

Well yeah technology, information and everything else...

genetically speaking, since older guys always say "they didn't make em like that in my day"
Old 07-10-2014, 10:44 PM   #8
jeffswanton54
S&storm!

Male

CockyCash: 2113
jeffswanton54 has earned his spursjeffswanton54 has earned his spursjeffswanton54 has earned his spursjeffswanton54 has earned his spursjeffswanton54 has earned his spursjeffswanton54 has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmettosc View Post
We should definitely take a study from Fluoride Alert as a reputable source for all things related to fluoride. That toothpaste is out to get us.
If that was the case wouldn't clemson fans be smarter?
In a recent Harvard study it has been proved to be a neurotoxin, not only calcifying the body but also damaging the nervous system over time and lowering the IQ. I believe it wont be long before it is banned completely in the US. Some cities are already taking it out of their water, Dallas is one. So yess highly recommend switching to fluoride free toothpaste..Toms is great :)

GO PATS/COCKS!
jeffswanton54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:09 PM   #9
Transmaniacon
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
Transmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffswanton54 View Post
In a recent Harvard study it has been proved to be a neurotoxin, not only calcifying the body but also damaging the nervous system over time and lowering the IQ. I believe it wont be long before it is banned completely in the US. Some cities are already taking it out of their water, Dallas is one. So yess highly recommend switching to fluoride free toothpaste..Toms is great :)
I believe Harvard just performed the meta-analysis on studies from China, unless we are thinking of different studies. I don't believe there have been many comparable studies in the US. I think you also have to approach studies like these with a fair amount of caution. As with nutritional scientific studies, it is easy to run with a conclusion that turns out to be wrong (or, at least, more complicated than we thought).

I have no interest in defending fluoride, just to be clear. However, studies in most of the "special sciences" rarely tell us as much as proponents claim.

And, this applies to the OP's cited article as much as the tangential fluoride debate.
Transmaniacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:45 PM   #10
HeadCockFan
...where the Pampers is.

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
I believe Harvard just performed the meta-analysis on studies from China, unless we are thinking of different studies. I don't believe there have been many comparable studies in the US. I think you also have to approach studies like these with a fair amount of caution. As with nutritional scientific studies, it is easy to run with a conclusion that turns out to be wrong (or, at least, more complicated than we thought).

I have no interest in defending fluoride, just to be clear. However, studies in most of the "special sciences" rarely tell us as much as proponents claim.

And, this applies to the OP's cited article as much as the tangential fluoride debate.
Well stated. Interesting that the country with the least occurance of early onset neurodegenerative diseases (India) also does not use Fluoride. Of course someone dies every 3 seconds from traffic accidents there.
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:40 AM   #11
MjGCock
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 342
MjGCock has feathers coming inMjGCock has feathers coming inMjGCock has feathers coming in

Straight from Wikipedia:

A meta analysis conducted on 27 epidemiological studies (most from China), concluded that exposure to "high levels" of fluoride in childhood was associated with a reduction in IQ. The authors note that this research is not applicable to the safety of artificial water fluoridation because the adverse effects on IQ was found with fluoride levels that were much higher than typically found in artificially fluoridated water.[14] However, they conclude that more research is required to assess the adverse effects on children’s neurodevelopment.[15][16] The meta analysis has been criticized for failing to account for confounding factors. For example, in some of the studies fluoride exposure came from the burning of high fluoride content coal, and used a control group from an area in which wood was used as fuel.[17] A more recent study followed individuals over 38 years to see if fluoride exposure affected IQ and they concluded there was no link between fluoride exposure and IQ, or fluoride as a neurotoxin
MjGCock is offline   Reply With Quote