CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
WeStill0wnUSC
2000grad
GH
75CarolinaFan
Gamecocks1137
JoeMorrisonLives
garnet_black215
StormOfTalons
johnnyb
b381l
Welcome to Moe's (558)
Jay Paterno Attempts (487)
help with army insig (208)
Hercules - review (206)
I'm a grand godfathe (116)
NEED 2TICKETS TO THE (44)
NEED 2TICKETS TO THE (19)
****Official 2014 Gamecoc
Help Give Cocky a Home
Name a Gamecock
Lattimore Sidelined By Le
Good Article for those co
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
college football match up
2015 - Auden Tate
2015 - Mon Denson
Coach's media golf press

Old 07-11-2014, 10:23 AM   #921
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 749
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Discussion: 2015 Recruiting Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by conwaycock2 View Post
Double edged sword. There are lots of teams behind us who recruit top 10 most every year. They have far fewer commitments than we do at this time & some will vault ahead of us as time goes on. Just the nature of the beast.

On the other hand, if USC can land its top JUCO targets, Bailey, a top RB, etc other teams will be much harder pushed to make us fall too far. Good looking class so far, still some significant holes to fill. Very significant holes. Gotta keep pushing & I trust that's exactly what the staff intends to do.
Feels nice to be above all the big schools like FSU, UGA, LSU..at least for a little while. I imagine we'll finish somewhere between 8-12 which is fantastic.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:26 AM   #922
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
That to me says Clemson doesn't rely on their own evaluations but instead sits on Rivals all day. You're kidding right? You realize we shoot out a bunch of offers to 4* and 5* at the beginning of every year hoping we'll get a bite right?

I guess Bama is a bunch of starchasers too. They sure paid the price for that.

I'm not defending Clemson but let's not turn into Taternet with the overwhelming delusion and bias. I don't doubt that we evaluate prospects a little bit better but its funny how BOTH schools have top 5 classes yet they are the star chasers and we aren't.
Exactly! if we were around #22 in the recruiting rankings fans would be saying the rankings don't matter. Since we are in the top 5 fans like to say it matters.

They definitely do matter, it means we are landing most of our top targets so that's good. It's all relative, the rankings matter but it's not the end all be all.

I'm just worried about getting a couple of our top recruits (green and Lammons) on campus now. After taking such a blow with Sawyer and Thomas that would hurt hard to lose 4 out of our top 5 2014 guys
Old 07-11-2014, 11:04 AM   #923
Rooster'srule
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
Rooster'srule is developing his combRooster'srule is developing his combRooster'srule is developing his combRooster'srule is developing his combRooster'srule is developing his combRooster'srule is developing his combRooster'srule is developing his combRooster'srule is developing his combRooster'srule is developing his combRooster'srule is developing his comb

Quote:
That to me says Clemson doesn't rely on their own evaluations but instead sits on Rivals all day. You're kidding right? You realize we shoot out a bunch of offers to 4* and 5* at the beginning of every year hoping we'll get a bite right?

I'm not defending Clemson but let's not turn into Taternet with the overwhelming delusion and bias. I don't doubt that we evaluate prospects a little bit better but its funny how BOTH schools have top 5 classes yet they are the star chasers and we aren't.
I am not one to go back and verify but I don't agree with this remark. We do offer 5* but I do not recall us shooting out bunch of offers. I do believe we are a lot more targeting than Clemp5on. I recall, and my mind is wasted, but I recall/perception is most all 5* and almost every 4* (regionally) has an early Clemp5on offer. I smh on how they offer so many recruits early on. Could be their alumni identifying these guys, they look at the star rating(but guys don't get stars until their senior year right) could be their coaches are really good at identifying talent. Doesn't really matter as long as Dabo is there we will beat them on the field.
Rooster'srule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:20 AM   #924
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

Quote:

Recruiting rankings are an ATTEMPT to rate players in relation to other players, and apparently a way to entertain fans in the off-season.
With regard to the "starchaser" business, I have held that for at least the Sweeney years, Clemson has successfully recruited the "skill" players, including linebacker, while Carolina looks more closely to recruit for future needs. Needs in the SEC (and top football in general), are likely more heavily weighted toward offensive and defensive linemen. OL, and to a smaller extent, DL generally require more time to develop and require more good candidates to get a great performer than "skill" positions. The ratio of 4 and 5 star OL and DL seems lower than many other positions. Our miss one year on some lineman targets (including not qualifying) will probably hurt us, isn't a killer since OL usually stay longer unless they are really elite. That's one reason Elliott can be smiling this year - having 10 really serviceable interior linemen. We've got lots of redshirt underclassmen with 2-4 years in the program.
Add to that, the need of some unnamed coach to mollify losing to Carolina by saying "We outrecruited them again!"
We certainly go after top players. We are not at all reluctant to take also some guys we don't have to promise early playing time and who are willing to take the redshirt year, remold their bodies, devote year-round to becoming top football players, and sometimes make it, sometimes transfer out while they still have time to play in another program.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:55 PM   #925
SClawman
Game MVP

Male

SClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot material

Anyone care to disclose GC's report today on Wideman, Smalls, Lammons, Green and Blue?
Old 07-11-2014, 01:39 PM   #926
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 94340
MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SClawman View Post
Anyone care to disclose GC's report today on Wideman, Smalls, Lammons, Green and Blue?
I don't know about what that report says, but Green and Lammon's ACT scores were flagged by the NCAA Clearinghouse as being too high. So they are making both of them retake the ACT today with a NCAA Proctor. They will know the scores in two weeks. If the scores are close to what they got before or at/above the necessary score for them to enroll, they're in. We'll find out in 2 weeks.

The last I read, Blue is good to go and just waiting on the Clearinghouse to send him notice.

Wideman is waiting on a test score to see if he is coming here or going to Prep.

I don't know anything about Smalls situation.

-Abo Swinney, April 23, 2014

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...steve-spurrier
MWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 01:55 PM   #927
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWard View Post
I don't know about what that report says, but Green and Lammon's ACT scores were flagged by the NCAA Clearinghouse as being too high. So they are making both of them retake the ACT today with a NCAA Proctor. They will know the scores in two weeks. If the scores are close to what they got before or at/above the necessary score for them to enroll, they're in. We'll find out in 2 weeks.

The last I read, Blue is good to go and just waiting on the Clearinghouse to send him notice.

Wideman is waiting on a test score to see if he is coming here or going to Prep.

Smalls also has to retake the ACT but he is not taking it today.....don't know when that will happen.
Per GCC
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 02:13 PM   #928
SClawman
Game MVP

Male

SClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWard View Post

Thanks. Now they're making it impossible for athletes to qualify because your test score is either too low or now too high. Assuming they didn't make perfect scores, isn't it possible they have intelligence and are good test takers? I guess we can thank Derrick Rose for all this test score regulation.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:17 PM   #929
Ace Dilcock
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 680
Ace Dilcock is developing his combAce Dilcock is developing his combAce Dilcock is developing his combAce Dilcock is developing his combAce Dilcock is developing his combAce Dilcock is developing his combAce Dilcock is developing his combAce Dilcock is developing his combAce Dilcock is developing his comb

Clemson typically offers and takes commitments earlier than us. They like to offer a lot of people and then get commits during the Spring and Summer when they can promote the family atmosphere and diversity of their campus. It is easy to sell diversity during the summer when most of the people on campus are athletes in summer school. We like to see recruits in person before giving our firm offers, so our recruiting picks up during the summer camps after recruits pass the eyeball test.

For whatever reason, Clemson's recruiting always ranks higher with ESPN than any other service. It might be that someone with Clemson ties helps with rating local prospects for ESPN, or maybe Clemson uses ESPN's rating as a criterion for going after recruits. I personally believe that ESPN is the most inaccurate of the four recruiting services, but ESPN has the most recognizable brand.
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 03:19 PM   #930
CHSgc
Recruit

Male

CHSgc is sharpening his clawsCHSgc is sharpening his clawsCHSgc is sharpening his clawsCHSgc is sharpening his claws

Hey, look. We're famous: http://recruiting.blog.ajc.com/2014/...ng-to-qualify/

According to b381 this is all totally cool and no big deal, though, so I wouldn't worry.
CHSgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 03:49 PM   #931
StormOfTalons
Recruit

Male

StormOfTalons has developed his gaff and talonsStormOfTalons has developed his gaff and talonsStormOfTalons has developed his gaff and talonsStormOfTalons has developed his gaff and talonsStormOfTalons has developed his gaff and talonsStormOfTalons has developed his gaff and talonsStormOfTalons has developed his gaff and talonsStormOfTalons has developed his gaff and talonsStormOfTalons has developed his gaff and talonsStormOfTalons has developed his gaff and talonsStormOfTalons has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHSgc View Post

According to b381 this is all totally cool and no big deal, though, so I wouldn't worry.
The lack of intelligence in that comments section is staggering.
StormOfTalons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:04 PM   #932
Pty23
Blue Chip

Male

Pty23 is crowing loudlyPty23 is crowing loudlyPty23 is crowing loudlyPty23 is crowing loudlyPty23 is crowing loudlyPty23 is crowing loudlyPty23 is crowing loudlyPty23 is crowing loudlyPty23 is crowing loudlyPty23 is crowing loudlyPty23 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SClawman View Post
Thanks. Now they're making it impossible for athletes to qualify because your test score is either too low or now too high. Assuming they didn't make perfect scores, isn't it possible they have intelligence and are good test takers? I guess we can thank Derrick Rose for all this test score regulation.
It has to do with how much their scores increased from the first time they took the test. There is an average amount that test-takers increase their scores from the 1st time to the 2nd time taking the test. In order to get flagged, Lammons' and Green's score increase must have been an outlier, well above that average increase.
Pty23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:31 PM   #933
jrussjr
Blue Chip

Male

jrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pty23 View Post
It has to do with how much their scores increased from the first time they took the test. There is an average amount that test-takers increase their scores from the 1st time to the 2nd time taking the test. In order to get flagged, Lammons' and Green's score increase must have been an outlier, well above that average increase.
Or the tests were proctored by unc!
jrussjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:18 PM   #934
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster'srule View Post
I am not one to go back and verify but I don't agree with this remark. We do offer 5* but I do not recall us shooting out bunch of offers. I do believe we are a lot more targeting than Clemp5on. I recall, and my mind is wasted, but I recall/perception is most all 5* and almost every 4* (regionally) has an early Clemp5on offer. I smh on how they offer so many recruits early on. Could be their alumni identifying these guys, they look at the star rating(but guys don't get stars until their senior year right) could be their coaches are really good at identifying talent. Doesn't really matter as long as Dabo is there we will beat them on the field.
2015 we have offered over 200 kids....no different than other year except more high quality players are giving us a serious look.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:30 PM   #935
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHSgc View Post

the reason I said that was because the only kid that we are going to lose with 100% certainty is Thomas. Sawyer, Wideman and Ritchie will be Gamecocks but not with the 2014 class.....I'm not happy about but I'm not worried about it. Blue, Smalls, Green and Lammons are all likely to be part of the 2014 class as reported by GCC and TBS. But I'm glad to know you read my posts. Based on many of your past posts, you may want to avoid posting as much in the future.
The guy you called out for posting nothing a couple of weeks, your posts are similar to his.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:39 PM   #936
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 749
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
2015 we have offered over 200 kids....no different than other year except more high quality players are giving us a serious look.

Bingo. If we aren't offering that many regional 4* and 5* guys then that's a problem.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:48 PM   #937
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

For those of you that are worried about getting a RB with speed. This past Monday was a day for testing for the players after Summer I......walk on RB Rod Gardner ran in the 4.3's....he transferred last fall to Carolina from Gardner Webb
so he isn't eligible to play this fall. I don't know anything else about him, but I thought that was very impressive.

A read where someone tweeted Damiere Byrd a few days ago and asked if he would race Mark Fields after he ran a 4.33 at the Opening. Damiere tweeted back and said "haha I don't want to embarrass anybody"......by the way, Byrd ran in the 4.2's.....he's back.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:57 PM   #938
Rooster'srule
4-Star

Male

Rooster'srule is developing his combRooster'srule is developing his combRooster'srule is developing his combRooster'srule is developing his combRooster'srule is developing his combRooster'srule is developing his combRooster'srule is developing his combRooster'srule is developing his combRooster'srule is developing his combRooster'srule is developing his comb

Quote:
Using ESPN 2014 USC offered 130 recruits...Clemp5on offered 175 recruits.
Rooster'srule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:04 PM   #939
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster'srule View Post
Using ESPN 2014 USC offered 130 recruits...Clemp5on offered 175 recruits.
C2 has a 2014-2015 offer thread near the top of the thread page. I just counted the offers and I think it's 150. I don't know how often he posts there, so it may not be currently updated but I'm sure it's close.

Normally we offer more than 200, so perhaps our coaches are going after higher quality players now.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:13 PM   #940
CHSgc
Recruit

Male

CHSgc is sharpening his clawsCHSgc is sharpening his clawsCHSgc is sharpening his clawsCHSgc is sharpening his claws

Quote:
the reason I said that was because the only kid that we are going to lose with 100% certainty is Thomas. Sawyer, Wideman and Ritchie will be Gamecocks but not with the 2014 class.....I'm not happy about but I'm not worried about it. Blue, Smalls, Green and Lammons are all likely to be part of the 2014 class as reported by GCC and TBS.
Sawyer, Wideman, and Ritchie are not guaranteed to be in our future classes. They still have to make grades, something they failed to do once and something that another member of our 2014 class (Thomas) failed to do. Even if they make it in, Sawyer and Wideman were expected to contribute THIS YEAR (or at the very least, provide depth). They would also benefit from being in the system (learning playbook, bonding w/ teammates, being in the wS&C program) so that they'd be an integral part of next year's team. They are behind schedule b/c they couldn't make grades. You somehow fail to understand this.

As for the rest of them, I'll believe it when I see it. I can't say I'm optimistic a/b all of them making it in (neither is our staff, which said they expect 2 of 3 of the DBs to make it in).

Irrespective of the football side of things, it's not great PR for our university to have stories like this splashed in newspapers around the southeast. It's not exactly a secret that SEC schools relax admissions standards for athletes, but I'd rather USC not be seen as the avatar for this practice. Cheapens the perception of a USC degree.

Our staff clearly made some mistakes in assessing the academic progress and potential of many of these recruits. If you'd get up off your knees and look around you might notice.
CHSgc is offline   Reply With Quote