CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CockyLifer
The Yancey
IBleedGarnetandBlack
ReadR00ster
Spurticus
StormOfTalons
gamecock88
ZenUSC
bcolinc
peterlemon
Nick Chubb (6385)
A&M on 3rd down (1639)
All of our defensive (1354)
Spurrier Presser (1292)
Uniform thread (1080)
Cack's Toast of the (1038)
louisville (1020)
Rankings (891)
Spurrier: Davis Will (812)
3-4 "D" Ke (601)
Defensive Backfield
East Carolina Prediction
Not a talent issue
Rankings
Recruiting Question
USC/Georgia 9/13/2014
3-4 "D" Keep it
Nick Chubb
Spurrier: Davis Will Be A
Jets Cut Tajh Boyd

Old 07-11-2014, 08:37 PM   #941
garnet_black215
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Discussion: 2015 Recruiting Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHSgc View Post
Sawyer, Wideman, and Ritchie are not guaranteed to be in our future classes. They still have to make grades, something they failed to do once and something that another member of our 2014 class (Thomas) failed to do. Even if they make it in, Sawyer and Wideman were expected to contribute THIS YEAR (or at the very least, provide depth). They would also benefit from being in the system (learning playbook, bonding w/ teammates, being in the wS&C program) so that they'd be an integral part of next year's team. They are behind schedule b/c they couldn't make grades. You somehow fail to understand this.

As for the rest of them, I'll believe it when I see it. I can't say I'm optimistic a/b all of them making it in (neither is our staff, which said they expect 2 of 3 of the DBs to make it in).

Irrespective of the football side of things, it's not great PR for our university to have stories like this splashed in newspapers around the southeast. It's not exactly a secret that SEC schools relax admissions standards for athletes, but I'd rather USC not be seen as the avatar for this practice. Cheapens the perception of a USC degree.

Our staff clearly made some mistakes in assessing the academic progress and potential of many of these recruits. If you'd get up off your knees and look around you might notice.
Well done sir. Completely agree with everything you said.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:41 PM   #942
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHSgc View Post
Sawyer, Wideman, and Ritchie are not guaranteed to be in our future classes. They still have to make grades, something they failed to do once and something that another member of our 2014 class (Thomas) failed to do. Even if they make it in, Sawyer and Wideman were expected to contribute THIS YEAR (or at the very least, provide depth). They would also benefit from being in the system (learning playbook, bonding w/ teammates, being in the wS&C program) so that they'd be an integral part of next year's team. They are behind schedule b/c they couldn't make grades. You somehow fail to understand this.

As for the rest of them, I'll believe it when I see it. I can't say I'm optimistic a/b all of them making it in (neither is our staff, which said they expect 2 of 3 of the DBs to make it in).

Irrespective of the football side of things, it's not great PR for our university to have stories like this splashed in newspapers around the southeast. It's not exactly a secret that SEC schools relax admissions standards for athletes, but I'd rather USC not be seen as the avatar for this practice. Cheapens the perception of a USC degree.

Our staff clearly made some mistakes in assessing the academic progress and potential of many of these recruits. If you'd get up off your knees and look around you might notice.
I don't let articles like that bother me because there's nothing I can do about it.....I don't worry about things I can't control. You're right, there is no guarantee that Wideman, Sawyer and Ritchie will ever make it in. But the people I know and trust their opinion think they will be Gamecocks in the future. So I chose to believe the people I trust not some bullshit article. And that article certainly hasn't seemed to affect our 2015 class......we're #2 according to Rivals and #6 on TBS. Here's the reason not getting the top players in the country each year doesn't bother me......Spurrier has forgotten more football than most other coaches will ever know.....and I have absolute confidence in him and his ability to coach and to bring in good assistants. I'll let you know when I change my opinion, but that's not likely.

I don't think the staff made mistakes with some of those kids.....they took a chance and maybe things didn't work out like they hoped. Nothing is ever certain in recruiting. Would you rather they not offered any of them. If they hadn't, would that have made you happy. SOS is trying to put together a championship team and he's not going to pass on potential marginal academic kids in favor of mediocre players that won't ever win big games for us. If you don't like the direction of the program, I suggest you get another hobby and stop wasting your and everyone else's time.

Note - I thought those AJC articles were banned from CT.
b381l is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:53 PM   #943
zambam
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 24050000
zambam is crowing loudlyzambam is crowing loudlyzambam is crowing loudlyzambam is crowing loudlyzambam is crowing loudlyzambam is crowing loudlyzambam is crowing loudlyzambam is crowing loudlyzambam is crowing loudlyzambam is crowing loudlyzambam is crowing loudly

I don't read many AJC articles unless they are linked here but I don't remember many/any positive ones about our recruiting. We (and every other div1 school) always have some kids that don't get in. Sometimes they get in later, sometimes they don't.

Quick math
25 scholarships a year x 5 years of eligibility = 125 scholarships
Total max scholarships = 85

It would be great to have everyone qualify but to my knowledge it has never happened.
zambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:58 PM   #944
conwaycock2
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
conwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
For those of you that are worried about getting a RB with speed. This past Monday was a day for testing for the players after Summer I......walk on RB Rod Gardner ran in the 4.3's....he transferred last fall to Carolina from Gardner Webb so he isn't eligible to play this fall. I don't know anything else about him, but I thought that was very impressive.

A read where someone tweeted Damiere Byrd a few days ago and asked if he would race Mark Fields after he ran a 4.33 at the Opening. Damiere tweeted back and said "haha I don't want to embarrass anybody"......by the way, Byrd ran in the 4.2's.....he's back.

Rod Gardner never ran 4.3 in his life. He was, however, excellent with the push-off move. Maybe you're talking about Rod Talley
conwaycock2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:24 PM   #945
davisd9
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 375
davisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudly

B381l posts better information then any of those complaining about academics or our coaches recruiting ability. It would be nice if these other posters actually brought valuable information to the forum rather than complaints and starting debates with others.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2
davisd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:30 PM   #946
Rooster'srule
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
Rooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
C2 has a 2014-2015 offer thread near the top of the thread page. I just counted the offers and I think it's 150. I don't know how often he posts there, so it may not be currently updated but I'm sure it's close.

Normally we offer more than 200, so perhaps our coaches are going after higher quality players now.
Your cred is blown to hell...
Rooster'srule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:34 PM   #947
davisd9
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 375
davisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster'srule View Post
WRONG!

Why do you all continually try to run off good posters?

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2
davisd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:06 PM   #948
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by conwaycock2 View Post
Rod Gardner never ran 4.3 in his life. He was, however, excellent with the push-off move. Maybe you're talking about Rod Talley
haha....sorry you're right.....I had one too many Gardners.

Old 07-11-2014, 11:09 PM   #949
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster'srule View Post
I knew I should have counted them before I posted the 200 number.....I don't think many people on here actually look at that thread.....many posters will say things like why didn't we offer more QB or RB....and when you look at the Offer Thread, it's all right there thanks to C2.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:20 PM   #950
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

I just looked at the 2015-2016 Offer thread and we have already offered 82 including 3 QB's.
Old 07-12-2014, 04:20 PM   #951
Rooster'srule
Blue Chip

Male

Rooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
C2 has a 2014-2015 offer thread near the top of the thread page. I just counted the offers and I think it's 150. I don't know how often he posts there, so it may not be currently updated but I'm sure it's close.

Normally we offer more than 200, so perhaps our coaches are going after higher quality players now.
So you made me go back and look:

According to GCC; 2015 USC offered 152, 2014 - 141, 2013 - 190, 2012 - 164 factor in the NR, 2*, 3* the number of 4* and 5* we offer are not "shooting out a bunch of offers" not your words another poster.

Clemp5on; 2015 offered 191, 2014 - 150, 2013 - 155, and 2012 - 122.

Even though your number of "more than 200" is off so is my perception that Clemp5on offers everybody.
Rooster'srule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 04:29 PM   #952
conwaycock2
Two Deep

Male

conwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPit

Those numbers, either way, are meaningless. Lots of offers go out to prospects pending their attendance at a camp. They perform poorly at the camp, guess what happens. Make an offer to a prospect but think you can fill the position with a prospect higher on your board, guess what happens. Offer a prospect then quit taking his calls, guess what happens. Those were not real offers, at least at that point. Simply a matter of covering your bases in many instances.

In a nutshell, you're arguing over nothing because it is impossible to quantify what is really an offer

i.e J. Sutton at Swansea
conwaycock2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 05:29 PM   #953
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by conwaycock2 View Post
Those numbers, either way, are meaningless. Lots of offers go out to prospects pending their attendance at a camp. They perform poorly at the camp, guess what happens. Make an offer to a prospect but think you can fill the position with a prospect higher on your board, guess what happens. Offer a prospect then quit taking his calls, guess what happens. Those were not real offers, at least at that point. Simply a matter of covering your bases in many instances.

In a nutshell, you're arguing over nothing because it is impossible to quantify what is really an offer

i.e J. Sutton at Swansea
are the # of offers exactly right, no...but generally speaking you can get a good idea of the # of kids that we offer each year......also remember that we had some scholly's cut so that would mean the number of offers in those years would probably be down.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:28 PM   #954
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Any news on guys who might have a commitment date coming up? Still looking for another RB, DB, probably two or three OL, it would be great if Wideman qualify a to get another d lineman in the fold.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 02:23 PM   #955
boness
4-Star

Male

boness has feathers coming inboness has feathers coming inboness has feathers coming in

Quote:
I don't let articles like that bother me because there's nothing I can do about it.....I don't worry about things I can't control. You're right, there is no guarantee that Wideman, Sawyer and Ritchie will ever make it in. But the people I know and trust their opinion think they will be Gamecocks in the future. So I chose to believe the people I trust not some bullshit article. And that article certainly hasn't seemed to affect our 2015 class......we're #2 according to Rivals and #6 on TBS. Here's the reason not getting the top players in the country each year doesn't bother me......Spurrier has forgotten more football than most other coaches will ever know.....and I have absolute confidence in him and his ability to coach and to bring in good assistants. I'll let you know when I change my opinion, but that's not likely.

I don't think the staff made mistakes with some of those kids.....they took a chance and maybe things didn't work out like they hoped. Nothing is ever certain in recruiting. Would you rather they not offered any of them. If they hadn't, would that have made you happy. SOS is trying to put together a championship team and he's not going to pass on potential marginal academic kids in favor of mediocre players that won't ever win big games for us. If you don't like the direction of the program, I suggest you get another hobby and stop wasting your and everyone else's time.

Note - I thought those AJC articles were banned from CT.
i don't entirely disagree with much of your point in regards to FB. Many may make it in this yr or a future yr. I, like most recognize the strenth of SS and staff is not recruiting, it is player development. They are able to take lesser regarded recruits and make many of them servicable and on occasion make one, like a DJ, high draft level player. Still, imo, it seems your reproach of the prev poster is disregarding two really strong points he made, one foot ball and one of far greater import.
I agree we should pursui players staff believes to be excellent fits on the field however in order for that to come to fruition the player must actually be able to go on the field! Football speaking when judging what level contribution a given player may make on the field of play is thier any single trait more important than his actually being able put on a uni, to go on the field and play??

The second transends FB, whether we like it or not, just as the academic scandal at UNC damaged the perception of UNC academic intergrity our constant signing of non qualifiers highlights already low entrance standards and an academic exception. Essentially sending a message that we will do almost anything to get an athlete in our institution. Be it true or no it breeds perception that cheapens the percieved value of the degree earned by all us alum. When it comes to younsters seeking that first job with degree in hand perception is.... thier paycheck. JMHO WVP
boness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 02:28 PM   #956
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Gamecock Showcase is in 2 weeks. I think our next commitments should come around then. Hopefully Bailey is waiting until then.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 03:02 PM   #957
lchite4
4-Star

Male

lchite4 is developing his comblchite4 is developing his comblchite4 is developing his comblchite4 is developing his comblchite4 is developing his comblchite4 is developing his comblchite4 is developing his comblchite4 is developing his comblchite4 is developing his comblchite4 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
Gamecock Showcase is in 2 weeks. I think our next commitments should come around then. Hopefully Bailey is waiting until then.

Gamecock Showcase is now Black Magic, no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lchite4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 04:32 PM   #958
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

They changed it back to Gamecock Showcase

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 05:03 PM   #959
lchite4
4-Star

Male

lchite4 is developing his comblchite4 is developing his comblchite4 is developing his comblchite4 is developing his comblchite4 is developing his comblchite4 is developing his comblchite4 is developing his comblchite4 is developing his comblchite4 is developing his comblchite4 is developing his comb

Interesting. I've seen commits/prospects refer to the upcoming camp as Black Magic still. I believe it was Turner when he was talking about rooming with Pittman/Fields. Wonder why they changed it back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lchite4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 05:07 PM   #960
elcid99
cant kill da rooster

Male

CockyCash: 217705
elcid99 is crowing loudlyelcid99 is crowing loudlyelcid99 is crowing loudlyelcid99 is crowing loudlyelcid99 is crowing loudlyelcid99 is crowing loudlyelcid99 is crowing loudlyelcid99 is crowing loudlyelcid99 is crowing loudlyelcid99 is crowing loudlyelcid99 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
Possibly see a few current UNC commits. The kids are realizing, finally, that the school is about to get crushed .(Antonio Williams will be a huge target for 16' now that he has opted out of the pending dumpster fire)