CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Sarge

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
NAGamecockFan
johnnyb
taylorssc
Lonnie
Gamecocks321
doubledribble
GarnetSwarm1990
gadeneer1986
ReadR00ster
So Disappointed With (2383)
Rank the QBs under S (1636)
Back like cooked cra (1222)
Tennessee game (777)
Who start on the d l (687)
No Comments on the H (572)
Google finally gets (471)
lack of production= (377)
NFL: CHARGERS @ BRON (212)
Gameday parking in A (149)
No Comments on the Holes?
Tennessee game
Call of Duty: Advanced Wa
Why I think we beat Aubur
SEC Debate: Best candidat
So Disappointed With The
Back like cooked crack
Rank the QBs under Spurri
Which loss hurt worse, Mi
Texas athletic director:

Old 08-10-2014, 01:42 PM   #61
bigdog2003
Future Coaching Legend

Male

CockyCash: 999762
bigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot material
Default Re: JB jr Tearing it up again

Jackie has been talked about a lot on the sports collection board I'm on. There are a lot of people writing him off as never being good enough to be a star because of the bat, I think he will figure it out. I don't ever see him being a .300+ hitter with 20 home runs, but with his defense he doesn't have to be. I see a .280 hitter with 10-15 home runs, while playing the best defense of any CF in MLB. I like that people are giving up on him, it's allowing me to buy some nice Bowman Chrome rookie autos for less than $20 each, when they were around $80 each less than two years ago.

bigdog2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 07:16 PM   #62
rosstheboss
Diehard

Male

CockyCash: 461687660
rosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot material

0 for 4 today with 4 k's...i'm not sure he will make it through the rest of the week before being optioned for mookie betts. Who knows though? The whole team can't hit so maybe they will just keep letting him work through it.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:14 PM   #63
bigdog2003
Future Coaching Legend

Male

CockyCash: 999762
bigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosstheboss View Post
0 for 4 today with 4 k's...i'm not sure he will make it through the rest of the week before being optioned for mookie betts. Who knows though? The whole team can't hit so maybe they will just keep letting him work through it.
His defense will keep him up. Betts' has about the same stats at the big league level JBJ does, and the defense isn't nearly as good. I think the Sox will keep Betts down, let him continue to do well, then trade him in the off season. He has a high trade value right now, and the Sox need pitching for next year.

bigdog2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:56 PM   #64
eggroll
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 50000
eggroll has developed his gaff and talonseggroll has developed his gaff and talonseggroll has developed his gaff and talonseggroll has developed his gaff and talonseggroll has developed his gaff and talonseggroll has developed his gaff and talonseggroll has developed his gaff and talonseggroll has developed his gaff and talonseggroll has developed his gaff and talonseggroll has developed his gaff and talonseggroll has developed his gaff and talons

Looks like his name is coming up in late season trade talks...

"Boston has numerous young pieces on the 25-man roster that could intrigue the Phillies, such as shortstop/third baseman Xander Bogaerts, centerfielder Jackie Bradley Jr. and catcher Christian Vasquez."
eggroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:32 AM   #65
brat
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100500
brat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot material

i think time is starting to run out for JBJ to produce with the bat if he is to stay with the Bosox, at 24. My guess is he'll have through preseason next year to show he is figuring things out. Everyone loves his defense, of course, but when he is on a team that is having trouble scoring runs, something that has always been a staple in Bean Town, that will keep him safe for only a short time. If he could become a .250 hitter with modest power, they might hold on to him.

My guess is a similar one with Justin Smoak in Seattle. Either start producing with the stick early next season or get unloaded for whatever they can get in return, even if just a decent draft pick. The difference is, Bradley might get a little more time if he finds a team that scores runs easily and need the glove, but Smoak has had too many trips to the minors and injuries in his short career with not too much production in return. Yeah, he has power and is a switch hitter, but Smoak is no longer a youngster. 1B is a place in the lineup you expect to find more pop.

Obviously, I hope I am wrong on both counts as each player are among the best to play at Carolina and I have been a huge Red Sox fan for many decades...longer than I have even been a Gamecock fan, in fact. Seems to me both are thinking too much at the plate instead of doing what comes natural..."see the ball and then hit it." It's like a golf swing. You get so caught up in all the technical aspects and mechanical parts in swinging the club, you seldom repeat successful efforts. Only when you learn it and then forget it does it feel good and you start having the type of results you desire.

Last edited by brat; 08-13-2014 at 01:13 PM.
brat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 02:54 PM   #66
rosstheboss
Diehard

Male

CockyCash: 461687660
rosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot material

He finally broke the 0 for 35 streak with a single today
Old 08-13-2014, 07:22 PM   #67
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

CockyCash: 219000
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

He has never been a good hitter

for willy
GamecockUltimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 11:24 AM   #68
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

CockyCash: 104965
JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material

Well, he did a little better last night. Got an RBI on a Sac fly, went 1 for 3 with a run scored, hit the ball in his outs.
Old 08-17-2014, 11:53 AM   #69
Ballpoint Man
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
Ballpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockUltimate View Post
He has never been a good hitter
Surely you only mean in the Bigs. He was a fixture in the 3-hole here during the first College World Series Title. He also absolutely KILLED the minors.

The truth is : there's a big hole in his swing. Throw him hard, up and in. Hopefully he'll fix this issue in Spring Training next year.
Ballpoint Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 11:56 AM   #70
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

CockyCash: 219000
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballpoint Man View Post
Surely you only mean in the Bigs. He was a fixture in the 3-hole here during the first College World Series Title. He also absolutely KILLED the minors.

The truth is : there's a big hole in his swing. Throw him hard, up and in. Hopefully he'll fix this issue in Spring Training next year.
Yeah should have said fundamentally. He did hit well in college but i never liked his plate approach. I used to think he couldnt see the ball well, he would take some great pitches, then swing at crap. I dont watch much pro baseball, but i figured that would be a big reason why. That and the hole youre talkin about

Oh well he is learning. It took smoak some time too

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

for willy
GamecockUltimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:15 PM   #71
hellraiser24
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1373
hellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockUltimate View Post
Yeah should have said fundamentally. He did hit well in college but i never liked his plate approach. I used to think he couldnt see the ball well, he would take some great pitches, then swing at crap. I dont watch much pro baseball, but i figured that would be a big reason why. That and the hole youre talkin about

Oh well he is learning. It took smoak some time too

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
It's still taking Smoak time because he is back in the minors right now.
"I can do all things through Him who gives me strength" - Philippians 4:13

hellraiser24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 02:03 PM   #72
COCKYWOOD
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 800
COCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot material

It's rough when nobody is hitting that great on Boston. JBJ will get it figured out.
COCKYWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 05:34 PM   #73
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material

Went 2 for 3 today, with a walk. Couple of singles and his out was a fly out to center. Boston got crushed, though. He had a solid Saturday and Sunday. Might be battling out of it.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:11 PM   #74
bobbycock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 10000
bobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his comb

if no one is hitting it seems like they need a new hitting coach..just saying.
bobbycock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 03:07 PM   #75
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

He got sent down. I don't get him batting well in the last two game of the weekend and now they send him down.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:59 PM   #76
COCKYWOOD
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 800
COCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot material

Boston was lucky they won last year. Don't like what i am seeing from the manager.
COCKYWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 06:17 PM   #77
jesse james
4-Star

Male

jesse james has earned his spursjesse james has earned his spursjesse james has earned his spursjesse james has earned his spursjesse james has earned his spursjesse james has earned his spursjesse james has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxcockFL View Post
He got sent down. I don't get him batting well in the last two game of the weekend and now they send him down.
^ This! The guy FINALLY snaps an 0-35 slump by going 5/16 (.313) over his last 5 games and then they send him down? Are you kidding me?
jesse james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:39 PM   #78
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/bos...bout-the-move/
Old 08-18-2014, 07:44 PM   #79
ScottK
Blue Chip

Male

ScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his comb

Hell as a Braves fan we are paying someone almost $15mil a year for those numbers
ScottK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:13 AM   #80
doccock
Super Doc

Male

doccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse james View Post
^ This! The guy FINALLY snaps an 0-35 slump by going 5/16 (.313) over his last 5 games and then they send him down? Are you kidding me?
Saw something in the Atlanta paper today that they want to work on a change in his swing. The best place for that is in the minors.
He'll be back up in short order imho.
doc