CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
catdaddy66
JaxcockFL
SMOTFS86
GregoryHouse
B-G
JerseyBird
gamecockgal
uscGRAD04
Cockhornleghorn
2014 Subway Classic: (1957)
Props to Eric Hyman. (1407)
Former Gamecock root (1323)
Franks boy's are pla (1013)
Garcia and Clemsux T (787)
Shrine Bowl on ESPNu (522)
Kentucky is dominati (496)
Chance of my lifetim (431)
Bruce!!! (360)
Question for those w (358)
Franks boy's are playing
UFC Fight Night 58: Lyota
Question for those who ha
Has the window closed for
**USC vs. Clemson GAME Th
Props to Eric Hyman. Than
The Vent and Coaching cha
Decommitment from Texas A
official UFC thread. (new
Former Gamecock rooting f

Old 08-17-2014, 05:23 PM   #21
nicstockman
Allway’s wright

Male

CockyCash: 30812298
nicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot material
Default Re: Michael Scarnecchia could start next year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina4Life View Post
Spurrier said that Michael Scarnecchia has a good chance to start next season, is he hyping him up or is he really this good?

My word his receivers got some fantastic separation in that highlight video. He has a cannon for sure though.

Where did you see Spurrier say that Scar has a good chance to start next season? Not saying I don't believe you. I just haven't heard that from Spurrier.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:27 PM   #22
mick66
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 500
mick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockTail View Post
Michael actually lives in my neighborhood and I have seen him play in High School and talked to him several times. He even delivered Chinese food to my house a few times.

Even if he never starts at USC, you are seeing why he was recruited. The young man is very smart, works very hard, and is a great team mate. Whether he ever wins the starting job or not, he will put pressure on other QBs with his work ethic, attention to details, and coach-ability. All those thing are a great asset to this team.

He will either win the job or make someone else win it.
Thanks for that. Good stuff. I could be wrong, but he also looks like he's packed on some lbs. since he's been on campus.
With the other 3 QBs on the roster all performing more or less the same on the velocity testing they did (end of summer?), anyone seen or read how his arm strength compares? Bigger kid, so wondering if he might have the biggest arm.
mick66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 05:32 PM   #23
b381l
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000052205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicstockman View Post
My word his receivers got some fantastic separation in that highlight video. He has a cannon for sure though.

Where did you see Spurrier say that Scar has a good chance to start next season? Not saying I don't believe you. I just haven't heard that from Spurrier.
He said it after one of the practices last week. He also said Scarnecchia looked like a freshman after Saturday's scrimmage......so who knows what SOS will say next.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:42 PM   #24
brat
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100500
brat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot material

It appears that if this was baseball (or some other sport) and some hotshot recruit we all expected to be a future star did not win a starting job and a relative unknown stepped in and began to rake with the bat, they would complain about it.

Makes no sense. If they play better, who gives a rip? They are still Gamecocks, too.

Long time until 2015 and anything may yet happen.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:05 PM   #25
CockTail
Starter

Male

CockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick66 View Post
Thanks for that. Good stuff. I could be wrong, but he also looks like he's packed on some lbs. since he's been on campus.
With the other 3 QBs on the roster all performing more or less the same on the velocity testing they did (end of summer?), anyone seen or read how his arm strength compares? Bigger kid, so wondering if he might have the biggest arm.
From seeing him in high school, he doesn't have the strongest arm, yet. He is tall but thin, give him a year in s/c program and see where he ends up. He easily could easily add 30lbs of muscle and that could add some arm strength.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:11 PM   #26
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 71443
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicstockman View Post

Only thing I've seen is the post-scrimmage interview yesterday, where Spurrier said that Scarnecchia would be "ready to compete for the starting job next year, probably". Which isn't that big a statement to me - you hope ALL the players would compete for starting jobs before their college careers are through.

If anything, Spurrier also said Orth had a great scrimmage, and stated that if we had to play today, Orth would be a good chance that he'd be in there. And that he's still competing up there with Mitch. So why don't we have a Perry Orth thread??
ConwayGamecock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:25 PM   #27
TonyVercetti
Banned

Male

TonyVercetti is developing his combTonyVercetti is developing his combTonyVercetti is developing his combTonyVercetti is developing his combTonyVercetti is developing his combTonyVercetti is developing his combTonyVercetti is developing his combTonyVercetti is developing his combTonyVercetti is developing his combTonyVercetti is developing his comb

Really wish people would understand "arm strength"

You arent going to gain much velocity by building muscle. You get it from your ovrrall throwing motion. It starts at your feer. Goes thur your waist, shoulder and wrist. Its al got to revolve at the right timevto get good pop.

Look at jay cutler. The dude dont have huge arms or anything. But he has one of the strongest arms in the NFL.

Spurrier is real big about how a QB holds the ball during the dropback. He likes our guys to hold the ball uo high by their shoulders.

Only thing that does is help prevent fumbles. Doesnt add velocity or power regradless about what he or anyone thinks.

Favre, Marino, Jeff George used to drop the ball real low when they hit their drop. And had some of the most powerful thoreing motions ever.

Real interesting stuff. Its almost a science
TonyVercetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:48 PM   #28
Take-a-Knee
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 10000
Take-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot material

Scar carries out fakes handoffs and pumps very well , looks long and moves well in the pocket ... Nice !!!
Take-a-Knee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:53 PM   #29
ReadR00ster
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1220
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Sounds like he and our offensive style are a good match.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 11:12 PM   #30
Senior Rooster
Recruit

Male

Senior Rooster has feathers coming inSenior Rooster has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
My issue is every time we get a 4 star QB, they are quickly annointed as the future. But whenever we sign a 3 or lower, it's a bunch of wtfs and it's even worse when lower rated player is seriously in the mix for the job or gets talked up more than the higher rated player.

I love signing highly rated players as much as anyone else. It's fun! But all bets are off when they get to campus. At that point it's who gives us the best chance to win and who develops the best when they get here.

If it's Mitch, fantastic.

If it's the other guys, it's an even better story (a la Connor Shaw and Dylan Thompson).
Right On!
Senior Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 11:28 PM   #31
OldPat
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1000000500
OldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyVercetti View Post
Really wish people would understand "arm strength"

You arent going to gain much velocity by building muscle. You get it from your ovrrall throwing motion. It starts at your feer. Goes thur your waist, shoulder and wrist. Its al got to revolve at the right timevto get good pop.

Look at jay cutler. The dude dont have huge arms or anything. But he has one of the strongest arms in the NFL.

Spurrier is real big about how a QB holds the ball during the dropback. He likes our guys to hold the ball uo high by their shoulders.

Only thing that does is help prevent fumbles. Doesnt add velocity or power regradless about what he or anyone thinks.

Favre, Marino, Jeff George used to drop the ball real low when they hit their drop. And had some of the most powerful thoreing motions ever.

Real interesting stuff. Its almost a science
You hit the nail on the head, Tony.

It's the total motion of the ocean, not the size of the boat, that gets the job done...provided the boat is located at or above the latitude of Normal, AL-even if Normal, AL is an oxymoron.
OldPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 01:16 AM   #32
JoeMorrisonLives
Blue Chip

Male

JoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spurs

Let's not forget, Spurrier basically offered the guy himself once we evaluated him, didn't even discuss it with the other coaches, doesn't happen much.
JoeMorrisonLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 02:03 AM   #33
carolinacocky
Recruit

Male

carolinacocky rules the CockPitcarolinacocky rules the CockPitcarolinacocky rules the CockPitcarolinacocky rules the CockPitcarolinacocky rules the CockPitcarolinacocky rules the CockPitcarolinacocky rules the CockPitcarolinacocky rules the CockPitcarolinacocky rules the CockPitcarolinacocky rules the CockPitcarolinacocky rules the CockPit

Have only seen Scar at one practice and the open Saturday scrimmage, but he threw a beautiful ball with plenty of zip on it in both.

As a true freshman, he has had little time to learn, recognize and react to this level of competition in game-like situations... so he held on to the ball too long/ seemed confused at times, which resulted in:
a) some errant throws;
b) more "sacks" (touches in scrimmages) than the other QB's.

In his defense, he wasn't behind the 1st team O line, so sometimes he didn't have much time to make his decisions.

If my memory is correct, the HBC personally offered Scar after Barker committed to Kentucky, so you would think Steve already believes Scar has a chance to be good. Scar looks to have the physical tools to play the position and by all reports is a good student/ giving good effort to improve.

Can he win the starting job next year? It would be surprising, since Mitch & Orth have both played well at times and have more experience (plus, one or both of them will probably get a lot more reps this year as backup).

Still, having so many viable options is a great position to be in. May the best man win... and Go Cocks!
carolinacocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 02:37 AM   #34
Gamecockfanatic4
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 4567500
Gamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to Gamecockfanatic4

the best QB will play, Spurrier isn't going to talk down and say oh this guy definitely won't have a chance until 2016 in the media, with Thompson leaving Spurrier will let everyone from Scarnecchia to Mitch to Nunez fight it out next Spring and Fall

Gamecockfanatic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:39 AM   #35
Coondog
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Coondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock View Post
Only thing I've seen is the post-scrimmage interview yesterday, where Spurrier said that Scarnecchia would be "ready to compete for the starting job next year, probably". Which isn't that big a statement to me - you hope ALL the players would compete for starting jobs before their college careers are through.

If anything, Spurrier also said Orth had a great scrimmage, and stated that if we had to play today, Orth would be a good chance that he'd be in there. And that he's still competing up there with Mitch. So why don't we have a Perry Orth thread??

There was a thread on backup QB competition but it got hijacked by Mt Lattimore and his man crush on Mitch.

http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=208443
Coondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:44 AM   #36
Coondog
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Coondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot material

Spurrier has been talking up Scarnecchia since before camp started. Said he has grasped the playbook better than any true Freshman he has seen. He's got the size and arm to play at this level but he just needs time at this level to adjust his game. Mitch, Orth, Scar, and the addition of Nunez will make the QB competition next year the best we have ever had.
Coondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:58 AM   #37
Emery
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Emery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock View Post

Exactly...I can't wait until an actual football game so I don't have to keep reading about how the next 2-3 years are going to be.

Plus, if the past few years have taught me anything at least one or two of these qb's will be transferring or changing positions.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:13 AM   #38
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

Spurrier is trying to motivate Mitch.

Pumping up Orth and Scar every chance he gets
Old 08-18-2014, 10:22 AM   #39
Garnet Engineer
Spurs Up

Male

Garnet Engineer has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coondog View Post
Spurrier has been talking up Scarnecchia since before camp started. Said he has grasped the playbook better than any true Freshman he has seen. He's got the size and arm to play at this level but he just needs time at this level to adjust his game. Mitch, Orth, Scar, and the addition of Nunez will make the QB competition next year the best we have ever had.
This is what I'm excited about, and it's what we should have at the QB position. It's better to have 3 or 4 guys who are all talented and want to compete for the hardest job on the team.
Garnet Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:54 AM   #40
Rebel4ever
The Paradigm Shift

Male

Rebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnet Engineer View Post
This is what I'm excited about, and it's what we should have at the QB position. It's better to have 3 or 4 guys who are all talented and want to compete for the hardest job on the team.
It took 5 years, with the arrival of Shaw, but HBC has finally gotten us to where we have solid number 2 QBs like he had at Florida. This is what we needed his first 5 seasons and didn't have along with the offensive line and now we have it.