CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
JerseyBird
Garnetnblack99
kingoftheroost
MountainCock
CoverTwo
CockyLifer
2000grad
b381l
U-Dub Gamecock
Morris to SMU (4700)
BIG PROBLEM! JUST RE (1689)
Clemson fans (1202)
Carolina on a Walmar (1046)
Game simulation (779)
End of the aTm / LSU (438)
Have we been favored (353)
Origin Sale Too (236)
Women's Soccer Elite (182)
Chad Morris new HC a (152)
Clemson fans
Name a Gamecock
Carolina on a Walmart com
Clemson Stadium Gamecock
Constant Updates on Watso
End of the aTm / LSU game
2014 Junkanoo Jam **USC W
Bailey's life hack for Ol
Morris to SMU
THE Vent and Coaching Cha

Old 08-17-2014, 07:36 PM   #21
WeStillOwnUSC
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
WeStillOwnUSC is sharpening his clawsWeStillOwnUSC is sharpening his clawsWeStillOwnUSC is sharpening his clawsWeStillOwnUSC is sharpening his clawsWeStillOwnUSC is sharpening his claws
Default Re: Gamecocks ranked 9th in the preseason AP Poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by vthokies View Post
Exactly.

I don't get why other fans of other conferences get mad. VT is in the ACC, clearly I want the ACC to win. But realistically I know the SEC is the best. Until the ACC wins 8 in a row, or more than 1, then I still believe SEC is best. Sorry Clemson fan but can't argue with their rings.
You don't get it?

Let me go over it again.

Florida was 4-8 last year with a loss to an FCS school.

Beating Idaho and Eastern Michigan doesn't make them a top 25 team after that.

If it does, there are about 50 other teams that deserve to be ranked as well.

And excuse me, I didn't realize the national championship games from 2006-2012 had so much bearing on the 2014 preseason rankings.

That logic is stupid anyway because only 3 of those 8 teams actually won one of those titles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier_Superior_One View Post
You have to be in the SEC to understand the SEC.
WeStillOwnUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:43 PM   #22
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Yeah, but SEC.

It just means Georgia Southern was underranked last year.

If VT wanted to be ranked in the preseason they shouldn't have joined the ACC.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:52 PM   #23
kick_ball
high midi-chlorian count

Male

CockyCash: 521
kick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeStillOwnUSC View Post
You don't get it?

Let me go over it again.

And excuse me, I didn't realize the national championship games from 2006-2012 had so much bearing on the 2014 preseason rankings.

That logic is stupid anyway because only 3 of those 8 teams actually won one of those titles.
we get it ..you dont like the sec... move on... but i will ask what agenda would the AP have in favor of the SEC ?
Old 08-17-2014, 08:56 PM   #24
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

I'll ask a question-which teams should be ranked in place of those eight SEC teams?
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 09:19 PM   #25
bcolinc
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
bcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudly

Quote:
LOL at 8 SEC teams in the top 25.

What a joke.

No wonder there are multiple 3 and 4 loss SEC teams ranked at the end of the year.

And yea VTHokie you're probably right, Florida will be ranked after beating Idaho and Eastern Mich. even though they finished 4-8 last year with a lost to an FCS school.

JOKE!

Need a tissue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-17-2014, 09:44 PM   #26
highstick
Recruit

Male

highstick has earned his spurshighstick has earned his spurshighstick has earned his spurshighstick has earned his spurshighstick has earned his spurshighstick has earned his spurs

Anywhere they put the Heels is a joke...They are still cheatin' and deserve the Death Penalty for both FB, BB, and if you dig deep enough, the Diamond. Just can't get anyone to dig far enough that has the power to penalize...
highstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 09:48 PM   #27
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 1185
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

UNC at 23? Didn't think they were that good
Old 08-17-2014, 10:26 PM   #28
Jack Garnet
@SCBravesFan23

Male

CockyCash: 562
Jack Garnet has developed his gaff and talonsJack Garnet has developed his gaff and talonsJack Garnet has developed his gaff and talonsJack Garnet has developed his gaff and talonsJack Garnet has developed his gaff and talonsJack Garnet has developed his gaff and talonsJack Garnet has developed his gaff and talonsJack Garnet has developed his gaff and talonsJack Garnet has developed his gaff and talonsJack Garnet has developed his gaff and talonsJack Garnet has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
You don't get it?

Let me go over it again.

Another one.

Jack Garnet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 12:25 AM   #29
MisterClowney
It's A Revolution

Male

CockyCash: 685
MisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot material

Quote:

What a joke.

No wonder there are multiple 3 and 4 loss SEC teams ranked at the end of the year.

And yea VTHokie you're probably right, Florida will be ranked after beating Idaho and Eastern Mich. even though they finished 4-8 last year with a lost to an FCS school.

JOKE!
Old 08-18-2014, 01:19 AM   #30
BlakelyH19
Blue Chip

Male

BlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPit

Why is K State even ranked? They lost 5 games last year. Don't think ND should be ranked either.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:51 AM   #31
vthokies
4-Star

Male

vthokies is sharpening his clawsvthokies is sharpening his clawsvthokies is sharpening his clawsvthokies is sharpening his clawsvthokies is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post
Yeah, but SEC.

It just means Georgia Southern was underranked last year.

If VT wanted to be ranked in the preseason they shouldn't have joined the ACC.
We don't deserve to be ranked
vthokies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:03 AM   #32
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

Quote:

What a joke.

JOKE!
Florida would walk through the Coastal.

Arguably would be the 2nd best team in the ACC.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:49 AM   #33
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 575
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

Auburn plays the most ranked teams with 7. Ohio State plays the least ranked teams - 1. How pathetic is that?!
Old 08-18-2014, 12:09 PM   #34
garnetmike
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1001250
garnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot material

I haven't heard about the prospects for VT to have a good season. Thankfully for them Logan Thomas is gone. He was a GREAT practice player with ENORMOUS skills that was just glitchy as HELL in games. HE was as likely to throw three picks as he was three TDs. Why Beamer and company stuck with him is beyond most VT fans.

That said, I do think that the preseason rankings are pretty spot on this season although in all honestly it is a crap shoot anyway, because at this stage NOBODY REALLY knows if the holes that are being plugged at Texas A&M will be done better than the holes that WE have at Carolina.

Our youth in the secondary could play lights out and our super depth at running back and the great Oline that we are supposed to have might be able to run the ball effectively.

It is my opinion that Dylan Thompson will only be as good as our running game allows him to be. Shaw was a run-first kind of QB and got us out of trouble a LOT with his legs. He ONLY threw the ball when he CLEARLY saw wide open receivers. Thompson will get time to throw IF our Oline and Running game is indeed as good as most of us think it is.

However - NOBODY REALLY KNOWS any of these things at this stage. Only after we play a few games will those answers show up. Only THEN are rankings more accurate. So right now, I'll take the 9th ranking and see how things play out.

By the way - I HATE Clemsux as much as anyone on here, but they COULD be a lot better than they are ranked right now. Lots of question marks around the SEC (QBs) and ACC.
garnetmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 12:30 PM   #35
SuperCockMaster
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
SuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockUltimate View Post
Ohio state is too high, i think mich state is too low, ucla is too high
Ohio State always gets ranked way higher than they should because I don't know why. They consistently prove they don't belong whenever they play a good team. They beat the crap out of crappy teams, but the second they play anyone good, they collapse.
SuperCockMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 12:37 PM   #36
StretfordEnd
TURNT UP IN SECTION 18

Male

CockyCash: 400
StretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his comb

I don't think Georgia is overrated at all, iyam. By the time the end of the season rolled around, they were starting to get decimated with injuries. Though they did lose a bit from last year, I think they will still be a solid force in the East this year.
StretfordEnd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 02:01 PM   #37
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by StretfordEnd View Post
I don't think Georgia is overrated at all, iyam. By the time the end of the season rolled around, they were starting to get decimated with injuries. Though they did lose a bit from last year, I think they will still be a solid force in the East this year.
I don't either. I think UGA is a top 10 team. People on here don't like to take their Garnet glasses off.

Their RBs are so good. This kid Chubb, oh man not looking forward to 3 years of him. And Mason is a smart and talented kid who was just behind the all time leading sec passer.

And their D will be much improved
Old 08-18-2014, 10:39 PM   #38
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by vthokies View Post
We don't deserve to be ranked
Hey, look, I didn't want you guys to join the ACC.

You caught the 'ish from those guys.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:00 AM   #39
SuperCockMaster
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
SuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPit

Rumor has it Braxton Miller is done for the season. Ohio State will probably drop out of the top ten quicker than usual now.
SuperCockMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:17 AM   #40
CockyMBA
Recruit

Male

CockyMBA is sharpening his clawsCockyMBA is sharpening his clawsCockyMBA is sharpening his clawsCockyMBA is sharpening his clawsCockyMBA is sharpening his claws

Doesn't anyone realize, the pre-season rankings aren't about LAST YEAR. It's about the perceived potential of the upcoming year. Otherwise, wouldn't Auburn be #2? But because they are scheduled to play 7 Top 25 teams (including all of the SEC West and the Top 2 perceived teams in the SEC East).

USC would be #4, but we're replacing our 3 yr starter who only threw 1 interception last year. Also wouldn't Bama and Ohio St be lower too, because they both had bowl losses?

By week 3, we should know how accurate these rankings are.
CockyMBA is offline   Reply With Quote