CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ConwayGamecock
thumpin big
Regalcock
Gamecocks1137
RGHoskins
JerseyBird
markymark550
ZenUSC
peterlemon
smoovecock
Brad Lawing (1782)
Currently 2nd in att (1063)
Constant Updates on (963)
**USC vs. UNC-Ashevi (954)
Alshon - Bose (928)
Ced Cooper (#18) sta (855)
How cool would it be (763)
Garcia vs Clemson To (612)
Carolina/Clemson gam (503)
Palmetto Bowl (320)
**USC vs. UNC-Asheville G
Andrew Clifford Scooter A
NEW Pics from South Alaba
Chattanooga upends No. 4
Constant Updates on Watso
NCAAF: SOUTH CAROLINA @ C
Where to watch in Arlingt
Props to Volleyball!
Garcia vs Clemson Tom
Currently 2nd in attendan

Old 08-18-2014, 02:11 PM   #21
nin_usc_freak92
Class of 2015

Male

CockyCash: 3400
nin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPit
Default Re: Really excited to visit the other Columbia!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixtapeMangler View Post
Roca-ways (sp.) has the best burgers in columbia (imo) but there are lots of good places to eat in the area, on game day I agree with just finding paid parking as close as you can get to the stadium, prob will spend about 20 dollars for it, so not bad, Mizz fans were some of the nicest I remember being around as well 2 years ago. The Gamecocks you will be around will be more than welcoming for the most part. Sounds like a fun Vaca, I think you you will be impressed with WB and I hope you have a great trip minus the game of course
Their pimento cheeseburgers are on point (as are the pimento cheese fries if you're feeling froggy). However the service has always sucked when I go there. Not that they don't get the order right and give you refills, etc, they're just rude. Idk if they know that they come off that way or what but don't expect any southern hospitality.

In the end, it's worth putting up with for the burgers.

EDIT: Mellow Mushroom isn't bad for a pizza/sub place. A little pricey and service there is also sloppy at times, but not sure if they have any locations up north.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:15 PM   #22
USCGrad90
Alumni

Male

CockyCash: 500
USCGrad90 has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by MU Mike View Post
We are jumping in the family truckster and headed to Folly Beach for a family vacation in September. My wife and I planned it to coincide with the Mizzou-South Carolina game this year and I am so excited to get to see your campus and stadium. When we first joined the SEC, this was number one on my list. I have always been impressed with your team so I'm excited to finally get to visit.

In fact, there are a lot of Mizzou fans that feel the same way I do. There was an immediate respect and connection about the Gamecocks for some reason, I can't explain it. But if there's another team I root for in the SEC, it's you guys. Again, not exactly sure why but I just like your fans, your team, and especially your coach.

So, I just wanted to jump on here and get a few pointers for that weekend. I will have my wife and four young kids with me (11, 9, 5 and 5) so we can't get too crazy. But I would like to drive up on Friday and tour the campus and hit some good local spots to eat. Suggestions? I'm sure Saturday will be a madhouse so that's why I thought it would be good to see your Columbia on Friday instead.

On Saturday, where do we park and how can I see those cool rail cars?!?!?!

Also, unrelated to the game, but this is our first east coast trip and we've heard nothing but great things about Folly Beach. How will the weather be in late September?

Thanks, and good luck this season!
Yesterday's In 5 Points is a good restaurant.
http://www.yesterdayssc.com/menus.php
Sandy's Hot Dogs is a good place for Ice Cream located within a block of campus.
http://www.sandyshotdogs.com/Home.php
A lot of info you need for gameday in located here:
http://www.gamecocksonline.com/ot/ga...formation.html
There is a "Gamecock Village" across the street from the stadium on gameday that has some different events going on for fans with a few freebies.
If you go to the North End of the Stadium, there is a Gamecock store that typically has a tent outside selling discount t-shirts. The entrance to the coaches' offices is also there with a giant scultpture.
George Rogers is also typically on the North End of the stadium and he raises money for children's causes by selling photos. You can get a photo with him and his Heisman Trophy before the game.
There is parking all around the stadium within walking distance. It ranges from $10-20 depending on how far you walk or you can take a shuttle from areas downtown around campus.
USCGrad90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 02:52 PM   #23
BloodySpur
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 1200
BloodySpur is making other chickens nervousBloodySpur is making other chickens nervousBloodySpur is making other chickens nervousBloodySpur is making other chickens nervousBloodySpur is making other chickens nervousBloodySpur is making other chickens nervousBloodySpur is making other chickens nervous

If you guys tour the Horseshoe... go right across the street for lunch at Beezer's subs... get the Godfather and a pickle! My favorite supper restaurant is Tako Sushi on Assembly right at the State House... you can walk the food off taking a tour. Anyway if you go, get the tempura asparagus... it's killer!
Old 08-18-2014, 02:57 PM   #24
AtlGAMECOCK
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
AtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to AtlGAMECOCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MU Mike View Post
We are jumping in the family truckster and headed to Folly Beach for a family vacation in September. My wife and I planned it to coincide with the Mizzou-South Carolina game this year and I am so excited to get to see your campus and stadium. When we first joined the SEC, this was number one on my list. I have always been impressed with your team so I'm excited to finally get to visit.

In fact, there are a lot of Mizzou fans that feel the same way I do. There was an immediate respect and connection about the Gamecocks for some reason, I can't explain it. But if there's another team I root for in the SEC, it's you guys. Again, not exactly sure why but I just like your fans, your team, and especially your coach.

So, I just wanted to jump on here and get a few pointers for that weekend. I will have my wife and four young kids with me (11, 9, 5 and 5) so we can't get too crazy. But I would like to drive up on Friday and tour the campus and hit some good local spots to eat. Suggestions? I'm sure Saturday will be a madhouse so that's why I thought it would be good to see your Columbia on Friday instead.

On Saturday, where do we park and how can I see those cool rail cars?!?!?!

Also, unrelated to the game, but this is our first east coast trip and we've heard nothing but great things about Folly Beach. How will the weather be in late September?

Thanks, and good luck this season!
Welcome , I like mizzou myself. Good luck this season win all the eastern games u can but against us. Hope you enjoy your trip and it meets up to your expectations minus a win .
Old 08-18-2014, 03:12 PM   #25
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 4058916
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Rockaways has never been the same since the original place burned down.
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 03:27 PM   #26
highpockets12
Recruit

Male

highpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurs

For sure you should visit Charleston . Coming so far it would be a shame not to forgo the few extra miles. You mention you were taking little ones to Folly Beach, BEWARE ! KEEP CLOSE WATCH ON YOUR KIDS Folly Beach has a bad undertow and can be rough on adults much less little ones. You should be fine just use caution. Enjoy your trip, Oh in CHARLESTON visit the Battery its on the bay . Lots of history ,Beautiful homes [circa early 1700s] Your kids will always remember it. The food is to die for, lots of outside & rooftop dining....
highpockets12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 03:38 PM   #27
TakeEM
Recruit

Male

TakeEM is sharpening his clawsTakeEM is sharpening his clawsTakeEM is sharpening his clawsTakeEM is sharpening his claws

For Booz, go to Greens. Its a huge liquor/beer store near campus that sells liquor on one side and beer/wine on the other. You can't beat their selection or prices. The craft brew market in Columbia is starting to take off as well. I'm not sure of the best ones in town, but if you like craft beers, that may be worth checking out.

For Food: Lunch - Groucho's deli (the one if 5 points) Grouchos is pretty much a chain now, but the orginal store is in downtown columbia. Great subs, and the servers are usually easy on the eyes. Yesterdays is a good option if you are in the mood for "soul food". For dinner there are several places to try. The only one I would consider a Columbia staple is Hunter Gather.
TakeEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 03:46 PM   #28
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

CockyCash: 415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

Jesus. Some of this info is embarrassing. Here is why:

1: Rockaways is nasty and the service is worse.
2. Yesterdays is average, at best, canned food with dodgy health standards.
3. Lizard's Thicket is good only for breakfast, and there are better places in town to eat breakfast.
4. I love Groucho's but it's not cheap and its nothing special if you aren't from, or went to college in, Columbia.
5. Palmetto Pig is the most average BBQ place in Columbia. Wouldn't even rank it in the top 5. (Doc's is solid.)
6. Beezer's? Tako Sushi? WTF, are you trying to give them food poisoning?
7. Hunter-Gatherer is very good. Perfect local place. Not sure it's great for kids.

Columbia does have some GREAT places to eat, but most of the ones mentioned in this thread are very mediocre. Buyer beware.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:00 PM   #29
BlueHerons
4-Star

Female

BlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nureye View Post
Jesus. Some of this info is embarrassing. Here is why:1: Rockaways is nasty and the service is worse.
3. Lizard's Thicket is good only for breakfast, and there are better places in town to eat breakfast.
4. I love Groucho's but it's not cheap and its nothing special if you aren't from, or went to college in, Columbia.
5. Palmetto Pig is the most average BBQ place in Columbia. Wouldn't even rank it in the top 5. (Doc's is solid.)
7. Hunter-Gatherer is very good. Perfect local place. Not sure it's great for kids.

Columbia does have some GREAT places to eat, but most of the ones mentioned in this thread are very mediocre. Buyer beware.
Thanks for letting us know that you are the ultimate authority on all things Columbia. I won't bother to answer next time since you are all knowing an the rest of us are amateurs.
BlueHerons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 04:06 PM   #30
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHerons View Post
Thanks for letting us know that you are the ultimate authority on all things Columbia. I won't bother to answer next time since you are all knowing an the rest of us are amateurs.

I've lived in Columbia a long time, and know what is good and not good here. I want guests to this city to have the best experience possible...and that usually includes not getting food poisoning.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:07 PM   #31
GarnetBlack&Blue
Burp Guns and Trust Funds

Male

CockyCash: 110363
GarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot material

On Folly: Eat at Taco Boy

Near Folly: Bowen Island Seafood - get there early, but if the line is slightly out the door already, don't worry, it moves...

James Island/West Ashley: Triangle Char Bar, awesome and has a kids menu, Kickin' Chicken is good for kids, too

Downtown: Monza, authentic pizza... Fuel, Rutledge Cab Company, and about a billion other places

I tried to stay away from places that are overly tourist-y and not kid friendly, but enjoy Charleston! You should definitely spend time exploring downtown!
Old 08-18-2014, 04:08 PM   #32
12+4=6
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 850
12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit
Send a message via AIM to 12+4=6

Quote:
Jesus. Some of this info is embarrassing. Here is why:

Ok Gordon Ramsay
Old 08-18-2014, 04:31 PM   #33
rioninusc
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 555
rioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetBlack&Blue View Post
On Folly: Eat at Taco Boy

Near Folly: Bowen Island Seafood - get there early, but if the line is slightly out the door already, don't worry, it moves...

James Island/West Ashley: Triangle Char Bar, awesome and has a kids menu, Kickin' Chicken is good for kids, too

Downtown: Monza, authentic pizza... Fuel, Rutledge Cab Company, and about a billion other places

I tried to stay away from places that are overly tourist-y and not kid friendly, but enjoy Charleston! You should definitely spend time exploring downtown!
It's about Columbia, but not a bad idea for the Mizzou fan, and friends to travel to the coast to get some good coastal food.

Quote:
I've lived in Columbia a long time, and know what is good and not good here. I want guests to this city to have the best experience possible...and that usually includes not getting food poisoning.
Please give some suggestions, you only said Doc's.
rioninusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 04:55 PM   #34
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by rioninusc View Post
Please give some suggestions, you only said Doc's.
For BBQ, in no particular order:

Little Pigs, Farm Boys, Hite's, Hudson's, and any korean BBQ joint in town ;)
Old 08-18-2014, 05:20 PM   #35
LadyG
Walk On

Female

LadyG has hatched from the shell

Friday take them to Riverbanks Zoo, then head to the Vista and hit up Mellow Mushroom for pizza and grab some ice cream at Marble Slab. We live here and my kids still love to do all three! There should be a lot of people out and about in the Vista on a Friday of a home game. Just head to Gervais (jer-vay) Street.
LadyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:28 PM   #36
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 380
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

I like salty nut burgers and wings from D's wings over in Cayce.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:30 PM   #37
HeadCockFan
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

Just in case anyone cares how another resident feels about these statements:

Nasty? Seems too critical. That pimento cheese burger is pretty awesome, even if sloppy and terrible for you. Wings are good. I wouldn't call their food dirty. Sure, none of their employees seem to give a rip, but if you know someone that works there, it feels like home.

I agree. Nice place to drop in though, grab a pitcher of beer and maul an Arkansas Traveler. Canned food is accurate.

Fried chicken with three sides is OK for the money. Some people like this kind of overcooked comfort food though. I find it hard to bang on any meat and 3, as they are steadily being replaced around the country by even worse options.

Agreed

While average, it's still pretty satisfying. The student price is a good deal considering it's location. Docs is best, but a bit further out if you are downtown.

Yes, these places pretty much suck, but food poisoning? I've eaten beezers like 100 times with no issues, not sure where that came from.

Agreed.

Columbia does have some GREAT places to eat, but most of the ones mentioned in this thread are very mediocre. Buyer beware. Not everyone is the same. My favorite place in Columbia to eat is Mai Thai on 378, but I understand that will not appeal to everyone. I still like Rush's hotdog basket, even though I know it's gross.[/quote]
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:31 PM   #38
HeadCockFan
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyG View Post
Friday take them to Riverbanks Zoo, then head to the Vista and hit up Mellow Mushroom for pizza and grab some ice cream at Marble Slab. We live here and my kids still love to do all three! There should be a lot of people out and about in the Vista on a Friday of a home game. Just head to Gervais (jer-vay) Street.
Best thing to do in Columbia for a family. Show up at 9AM, leave when you get hungry.
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:33 PM   #39
LadyG
Walk On

Female

LadyG has hatched from the shell

You can also grab some great chicken tenders (and other deli food) and anything else you need to tailgate at the Publix grocery store on Gervais. Definitely walk around Carolina Park at tailgating time. People will be very hospitable to your family.
LadyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:34 PM   #40
BlueHerons
4-Star

Female

BlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his comb

Quote:
Yes, I've been eating at Yesterdays most of my life and never had a problem. I love their food. Seems to me they've been in business for very long time and in an industry with an almost 100% failure rate, they must be doing something right.

Thank God I'm not stuck living there but I get there often enough.
BlueHerons is offline   Reply With Quote