CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
COCKYTALKIN
MountainCock
WeStillOwnUSC
Gamecocks1137
thekob
GarnetSwarm1990
El Cid Ranger
kingoftheroost
taylorssc
Regalcock
Key for 2015 defense (1342)
Skai Moore out for U (1074)
Troubles in Tigertow (743)
TN game weather (739)
Lebron makes Clevela (644)
Who is your favorite (547)
SEC Coaches Dress Up (485)
Cockaboose Video (462)
Marvel releases movi (292)
Michigan AD Dave Bra (249)
Who is your favorite play
Tennessee Offense Breakdo
Perry Dozier Jr. (2015 Pr
2014 Garnet and Black Wor
Michigan AD Dave Brandon
Lebron makes Cleveland re
Tevin Mack SG 6-5, 200 (2
USC/Tennessee 11/1/2014
Uniforms for Tenn
TN game weather

Old 08-18-2014, 05:39 PM   #41
St. Louis Gamecock
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
St. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his comb
Default Re: Really excited to visit the other Columbia!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetBlack&Blue View Post
On Folly: Eat at Taco Boy

Near Folly: Bowen Island Seafood - get there early, but if the line is slightly out the door already, don't worry, it moves...

James Island/West Ashley: Triangle Char Bar, awesome and has a kids menu, Kickin' Chicken is good for kids, too

Downtown: Monza, authentic pizza... Fuel, Rutledge Cab Company, and about a billion other places

I tried to stay away from places that are overly tourist-y and not kid friendly, but enjoy Charleston! You should definitely spend time exploring downtown!
I love the food at Bowen's Island, EXCEPT there's no damn AC (the fans don't help much)!!! Go when it's cooler. I went one time while visiting my folks in August and it was miserable. I went again in November - much better!
St. Louis Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:40 PM   #42
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 3896416
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyG View Post
You can also grab some great chicken tenders (and other deli food) and anything else you need to tailgate at the Publix grocery store on Gervais. Definitely walk around Carolina Park at tailgating time. People will be very hospitable to your family.
You can't get a better sub sandwich in columbia, IMO, Boar's Head and fresh bread. I love their Orange chicken tenders but you usually have to ask for them
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:40 PM   #43
St. Louis Gamecock
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
St. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MU Mike View Post
We are jumping in the family truckster and headed to Folly Beach for a family vacation in September. My wife and I planned it to coincide with the Mizzou-South Carolina game this year and I am so excited to get to see your campus and stadium. When we first joined the SEC, this was number one on my list. I have always been impressed with your team so I'm excited to finally get to visit.

In fact, there are a lot of Mizzou fans that feel the same way I do. There was an immediate respect and connection about the Gamecocks for some reason, I can't explain it. But if there's another team I root for in the SEC, it's you guys. Again, not exactly sure why but I just like your fans, your team, and especially your coach.

So, I just wanted to jump on here and get a few pointers for that weekend. I will have my wife and four young kids with me (11, 9, 5 and 5) so we can't get too crazy. But I would like to drive up on Friday and tour the campus and hit some good local spots to eat. Suggestions? I'm sure Saturday will be a madhouse so that's why I thought it would be good to see your Columbia on Friday instead.

On Saturday, where do we park and how can I see those cool rail cars?!?!?!

Also, unrelated to the game, but this is our first east coast trip and we've heard nothing but great things about Folly Beach. How will the weather be in late September?

Thanks, and good luck this season!
I grew up on James Island and spent almost every weekend at Folly Beach. It’s good you are going AFTER Labor Day - much less crowded!

And I’ve met some pretty good Mizzou buds since graduating from Carolina and moving to STL (lived here since 1992). We smack talk quite a bit, but good fun nonetheless. We have in common our disdain for the Big Ten!

Enjoy SC!
St. Louis Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:29 PM   #44
USCMM
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100200
USCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadCockFan View Post
Just in case anyone cares how another resident feels about these statements:

1: Rockaways is nasty and the service is worse.
Nasty? Seems too critical. That pimento cheese burger is pretty awesome, even if sloppy and terrible for you. Wings are good. I wouldn't call their food dirty. Sure, none of their employees seem to give a rip, but if you know someone that works there, it feels like home.

2. Yesterdays is average, at best, canned food with dodgy health standards.
I agree. Nice place to drop in though, grab a pitcher of beer and maul an Arkansas Traveler. Canned food is accurate.

3. Lizard's Thicket is good only for breakfast, and there are better places in town to eat breakfast.
Fried chicken with three sides is OK for the money. Some people like this kind of overcooked comfort food though. I find it hard to bang on any meat and 3, as they are steadily being replaced around the country by even worse options.

4. I love Groucho's but it's not cheap and its nothing special if you aren't from, or went to college in, Columbia.
Agreed

5. Palmetto Pig is the most average BBQ place in Columbia. Wouldn't even rank it in the top 5. (Doc's is solid.)
While average, it's still pretty satisfying. The student price is a good deal considering it's location. Docs is best, but a bit further out if you are downtown.

6. Beezer's? Tako Sushi? WTF, are you trying to give them food poisoning?
Yes, these places pretty much suck, but food poisoning? I've eaten beezers like 100 times with no issues, not sure where that came from.

7. Hunter-Gatherer is very good. Perfect local place. Not sure it's great for kids.
Agreed.

Columbia does have some GREAT places to eat, but most of the ones mentioned in this thread are very mediocre. Buyer beware. Not everyone is the same. My favorite place in Columbia to eat is Mai Thai on 378, but I understand that will not appeal to everyone. I still like Rush's hotdog basket, even though I know it's gross.
I've lived in Columbia for almost 10 years now and I have to say that I agree with both these guys. Yesterdays is the epitome of bad bar food. Don't go there. Lizard' Thicket is a poor mans Cracker Barrel.

A great newcomer joint to go to is Cantina 76. They make unique tacos...like BBQ tacos, fish tacos, etc. Also, one of Columbia's best kept secrets joints is Big T's BBQ on Garners Ferry. I go there weekly.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:15 PM   #45
BloodySpur
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 1200
BloodySpur is making other chickens nervousBloodySpur is making other chickens nervousBloodySpur is making other chickens nervousBloodySpur is making other chickens nervousBloodySpur is making other chickens nervousBloodySpur is making other chickens nervousBloodySpur is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCMM View Post
I've lived in Columbia for almost 10 years now and I have to say that I agree with both these guys. Yesterdays is the epitome of bad bar food. Don't go there. Lizard' Thicket is a poor mans Cracker Barrel.

A great newcomer joint to go to is Cantina 76. They make unique tacos...like BBQ tacos, fish tacos, etc. Also, one of Columbia's best kept secrets joints is Big T's BBQ on Garners Ferry. I go there weekly.
I don't know where y'all get this from!

Beezer's has fresh homemade bread and fresh cut meats in their subs... not to mention the best pickles I have ever eaten.

Tako Sushi has the freshest Sushi around,,, also an awesome Sake list... and as I said, the tempura asparagus with the spicy dipping sauce is to die for! And it has a cool Gamecock/college vibe on the weekends... especially during football season.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:17 PM   #46
palmettosc
hypnotoad

Male

CockyCash: 1200
palmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodySpur View Post

Beezer's has fresh homemade bread and fresh cut meats in their subs... not to mention the best pickles I have ever eaten.

Tako Sushi has the freshest Sushi around,,, also an awesome Sake list... and as I said, the tempura asparagus with the spicy dipping sauce is to die for! And it has a cool Gamecock/college vibe on the weekends... especially during football season.
When you have Camon and Inakaya (sp?) in town I don't know about that.
palmettosc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:44 PM   #47
HeadCockFan
...where the Pampers is.

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

Quote:

Homemade bread? They cook it there, but that dough comes in boxes as frozen logs. It's literally flavorless. Look I like Beezers for the convenience if I'm working nearby and can walk, but the man will be in town one weekend only. Beezers?
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:57 PM   #48
nicstockman
Allway’s wright

Male

CockyCash: 30812298
nicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot material

Columbia doesn't hold a candle to Charleston, IMO. Grew up in Columbia, but I've lived in Charleston for over 10 years now. There's a reason why Charleston was recently named the friendliest city in the US. You'll be glad you got to see Columbia, Williams-Brice, etc., but you'll wish you had more time for Charleston.

PM me if you want ideas on things to do with kids (I have 2 myself), places to eat, or places to stay (in-land, beach front, or on a boat). There's a ton to do here in Charleston, no matter what your budget.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:00 PM   #49
kick_ball
high midi-chlorian count

Male

CockyCash: 521
kick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot material

i still try to hit up pawleys front porch when i get a chance to go to Columbia

also if you want quick more local type fast food Rushes (only really around the Columbia area) or Cookout (starting to expand through the southeast pretty sure it started in NC, but starting to get into SC, TN for sure and maybe even GA and Va im not sure) has some of the best milkshakes
Old 08-18-2014, 10:26 PM   #50
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 420
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Lived in Columbia all my life. Pawley's Front Porch is my top place for a burger. Salty Nut makes some great burgers as well.

Like many have said, the Vista has many great places up and down the area. Take your pick.

As far as BBQ, Docs is better overall than Palmetto Pig but you still can't go wrong with either.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:36 PM   #51
rrsandersjr
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
rrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his comb

Cookout, only if you want cheap, so so chain restaurant food, but they do have good shakes. Pawleys or The Salty Nut would be good game day lunch places. DiPratos is a deli on campus near 5 points that has great jalapeńo pimento cheese and pita chips. We always get some for tailgating. The Thirsty Fellow near the Colonial Life Center is also a good, family friendly game day restaurant.
rrsandersjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:09 PM   #52
U-Dub Gamecock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 58166
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

Mike: welcome to the Palmetto State... As many mentioned, make the 20-25 minute trip to Charleston when down at Folly... Charleston has the best food in the state BY FAR... There are many places to go, really can't go wrong with most there..

As for Columbia... Pawleys Front Porch(Featured on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives) has great burgers... Mellow Mushroom has great pizza... Grouchos is cool, but if you go hungry, you still will be hungry when you leave... The portions on their sandwiches are a little small for me.

If you want a good place to eat(Near Folly).... Check out the Kicken Chicken... There is one on Folly Rd about 5 miles before you get to the beach. Really good food.
U-Dub Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:21 PM   #53
USCMM
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100200
USCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot material

Quote:

Whoops...didn't see Tako Sushi. It is pretty good. I don't mind Beezer's but I always forget about it for whatever reasons.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:34 PM   #54
Latti2001
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 1700
Latti2001 has earned his spursLatti2001 has earned his spursLatti2001 has earned his spursLatti2001 has earned his spursLatti2001 has earned his spursLatti2001 has earned his spurs

Columbia

BBQ: Hudson's
Fried catfish: Doc's BBQ
Fried chicken: Palmetto Pig
Seafood: Blue Marlin
Better food: Mr. Friendly's or Saludas or Al's Upstairs
Burgers: Pawleys Front Porch or Rockaways
Pasta: Pasta Fresca is delicious!!!!
Thai: Mia Thai on hwy 378
Pizza: mellow mushroom
Japanese/Asian: M Vista

Folly/Charleston

Bowen's Island (folly)
Fleet's Landing (Charleston)
Red Drum (Mount Pleasant)---this is REALLY good
Hominy Grille (Charleston Brunch)
Triangle Bar (West Ashley Brunch)
Latti2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:37 PM   #55
FlyingCock
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 485
FlyingCock is learning to peck

Pawleys Front Porch (5 points)
Featured on Todd's taste of the town during ESPNs broadcast of the USC vs Vandy game
http://m.tasteofthetowntodd.com/mult...ys-front-porch
Also featured on diners, drive ins & dives
http://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/din...kicker-is.html

2 Fat 2 Fly Wings if you can find them (mobile food truck)
Just premiered on OWN (Oprah Winfrey network).
http://m.2fat2flywings.com/site/mobi...etwork=fw#1103

Grouchos (5 points)
No TV show for this one but great sandwiches and been around for 60+ years. You have to get the STP dipper with 45 sauce.

Last edited by FlyingCock; 08-19-2014 at 01:07 AM.
FlyingCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:24 AM   #56
Cockhornleghorn
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200700
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to Cockhornleghorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MU Mike View Post
We are jumping in the family truckster and headed to Folly Beach for a family vacation in September. My wife and I planned it to coincide with the Mizzou-South Carolina game this year and I am so excited to get to see your campus and stadium. When we first joined the SEC, this was number one on my list. I have always been impressed with your team so I'm excited to finally get to visit.

In fact, there are a lot of Mizzou fans that feel the same way I do. There was an immediate respect and connection about the Gamecocks for some reason, I can't explain it. But if there's another team I root for in the SEC, it's you guys. Again, not exactly sure why but I just like your fans, your team, and especially your coach.

So, I just wanted to jump on here and get a few pointers for that weekend. I will have my wife and four young kids with me (11, 9, 5 and 5) so we can't get too crazy. But I would like to drive up on Friday and tour the campus and hit some good local spots to eat. Suggestions? I'm sure Saturday will be a madhouse so that's why I thought it would be good to see your Columbia on Friday instead.

On Saturday, where do we park and how can I see those cool rail cars?!?!?!

Also, unrelated to the game, but this is our first east coast trip and we've heard nothing but great things about Folly Beach. How will the weather be in late September?

Thanks, and good luck this season!
If you're coming up the day before, your kids would enjoy Edventure Children's Museum, the State Museum and Planetarium and/or Riverbanks Zoo. As far as food recommendations, it probably depends on what your kids would eat.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:42 AM   #57
nicstockman
Allway’s wright

Male

CockyCash: 30812298
nicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot material

Y'all do know that Mellow Mushroom is a chain that has like 100 locations across the southeast, right?
Old 08-19-2014, 12:49 AM   #58
weatheredxtown
Master of Minutia

Male

CockyCash: 200
weatheredxtown is crowing loudlyweatheredxtown is crowing loudlyweatheredxtown is crowing loudlyweatheredxtown is crowing loudlyweatheredxtown is crowing loudlyweatheredxtown is crowing loudlyweatheredxtown is crowing loudlyweatheredxtown is crowing loudlyweatheredxtown is crowing loudlyweatheredxtown is crowing loudlyweatheredxtown is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicstockman View Post
Y'all do know that Mellow Mushroom is a chain that has like 100 locations across the southeast, right?
Yes but ours is obviously the best.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:57 AM   #59
GarnetSwarm1990
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 738
GarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurz View Post
Can't believe no one's mentioned Groucho's Deli in Five Points yet as a food icon. Groucho's is one of my all-time favorite Columbia spots and a must for me whenever I'm in town. Cheap, delicious sandwiches.
mmmmmmmm. Just hearing the name makes me hungry.
GarnetSwarm1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 02:02 AM   #60
bryarx
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1974
bryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot material

I would hate to eat at a lot of the places mentioned with four kids. That would be some bill!

BBQ, I've eaten at everywhere mentioned, big T's has the best IMO. My favorite place to get BBQ that wasn't mentioned is True BBQ in west Columbia, next to, I can't believe no one mentioned: Zestos.

Talk about an icon, this long standing restaurant (zestos) has a giant chocolate dipped ice cream cone on top of it, a literal icon. Perfect to take your kids to. Burgers, fried chicken, hot dogs, fries, shakes, chocolate dipped cones...... It's the #1 spot I would recommend for a family, also won't break your wallet paying for 6.

If a chocolate dipped cone isn't your thing, your about three blocks away from the Krispy Kreme factory.

It's right across the river from downtown Columbia in west Columbia (seriously a five minute drive).

As others have said, the zoo would be a great family trip, (riverbanks zoo). I live here, and take my wife and daughter to zestos, then the zoo when the weather is nice on a weekend.

I really hope some people on here will back up zestos.

Not so much for the Missouri family, but for Columbia local gamecocks that are backing pawleys as the best burger joint, try 2108 state bar and grill in the corner of state and frink street. The service is horrible, like, I think the wait staff goes and gets high after your drink order, but the burgers are the best I've had in Columbia. Fried green tomato wedges, house cut wing/waffle chips (don't know how else to describe them). The food is crazy good. Priced about like pawleys though.
bryarx is offline   Reply With Quote