CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
markp_vip
PageUSC
Gamecocks1137
ChickenButt
Ahmad
Cockypantherfan
eightohhthree
jrussjr
cocky-K
COCKYTALKIN
Legitimate, Unbiased (1571)
Antonio Allen vs Als (1552)
Cack's Toast of the (1404)
why we're in this po (1317)
Brawl at 49ers/Cardi (1278)
I guess we don't get (1119)
Pharoh Cooper is a s (1001)
open discussion of t (800)
Look who's at the bo (741)
Predict the Season ( (614)
Making the Trip to Kentuc
Pharoh Cooper is a stud
Waldrop & Williams
Predict the Season (After
Kendrick salley
Legitimate, Unbiased Opin
Acock's Wrap Up: Vandy
open discussion of this t
Dylan Thompson picked as
2015 Commitment - Dexter

Old 08-19-2014, 11:52 AM   #361
ACPhilson
Really hates Orange Teams

Male

CockyCash: 1000200
ACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot material
Default Re: Connor Shaw Browns

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottK View Post
You're very right and that's actually what I meant.

It's just not how the NFL (or any professional sports) works - you don't put down big $ on someone and then replace them with a no-name soon after.

That's exactly spot on.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:52 AM   #362
cockfight21
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200
cockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot material

Well, the fans like Shaw....read the comments

http://espn.go.com/blog/cleveland-br...-spot-now-what

Kenny Powers
cockfight21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:53 AM   #363
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 575
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmettosc View Post
Play Manziel and suffer, everyone in the front office stays employed for at least another year. Play Shaw and suffer, everyone is out of a job. Just reality.
You may be exactly right on the first part. We will never know on the second.

It's hard to say how either one of them will do unless you give them a shot. All I'm saying is that Connor deserves a shot to compete in the last 2 preseason games. If they go with Manziel so be it but at least they would know what they have with Shaw by playing him more in the preseason and giving him some opportunities with the first team.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:56 AM   #364
ACPhilson
Really hates Orange Teams

Male

CockyCash: 1000200
ACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscGRAD04 View Post
Manziel sucked horribly last night. Him and Hoyer weren't even close on some passes

I couldn't tell you who is the better of the two after last night.

Connor Shaw will end up on the practice squad but I can see him being a solid backup to Manziel in a couple years. Grossman will be gone and Hoyer will eventually fade away.

I think Manziel will be the long-term solution in Cleveland as long as he keeps his act together.

I know if I were a Cleveland fan (glad I'm not), I'd have a hard time buying my kid a Manziel jersey after some of his antics. He's far from being a role model (see Lebron James for that)

Nah, I don't think so. Shaw is gonna get cut from the team. BANK ON IT. No team is gonna have 4 QB's. That's why they wont cut Rex. Rex wont play, ever. He is there to help JFF get his effing head straight and out of bars and into the play book.

Why is it, 1 round draft pick superstar JFF says "he doesn't know the play book" and undrafted signee Shaw does know the playbook? Simple. One is immature and one is a professional. They will cut the professional, and have Rex mature JFF, if, and that's a BIG IF, some other team doesn't try to kill JFF for his stupidity.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:59 AM   #365
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACPhilson View Post
Not true my friend. No owner in the world is gonna sit around while a coach benches a $20M QB first round draft pick, for an undrafted signee. This is why they are bringing in Rex, not to play, but to get JFF straight. In the pros, you don't sit someone you paid that much $$$ for. You give him as many chances as it takes before you wash your hands of him.
So the Browns are going to play a guy that hasn't shown he is good enough to start because they were dumb enough to draft a guy who isn't a first round QB?

OK I get that. I'm not saying Connor should start. I'm saying give Connor a shot in the last 2 preseason games with the first team and let them see what they have. Give the guy a chance. When Manziel struggles, at least they will know what they have with Connor if they want to bring him off the bench.

Whether Manziel sucks or doesn't, he's going to play right? So let him learn during the season and let Connor have his shot in the preseason. They keep their million dollar QB protected while giving Connor a shot. What do they have to lose?

By watching the first couple of preseason games and the performances of Hoyer and Manziel, not much.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:36 PM   #366
uscgrad68
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 616
uscgrad68 is developing his combuscgrad68 is developing his combuscgrad68 is developing his combuscgrad68 is developing his combuscgrad68 is developing his combuscgrad68 is developing his combuscgrad68 is developing his combuscgrad68 is developing his combuscgrad68 is developing his combuscgrad68 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscjeremynca View Post
So the Browns are going to play a guy that hasn't shown he is good enough to start because they were dumb enough to draft a guy who isn't a first round QB?

OK I get that. I'm not saying Connor should start. I'm saying give Connor a shot in the last 2 preseason games with the first team and let them see what they have. Give the guy a chance. When Manziel struggles, at least they will know what they have with Connor if they want to bring him off the bench.

Whether Manziel sucks or doesn't, he's going to play right? So let him learn during the season and let Connor have his shot in the preseason. They keep their million dollar QB protected while giving Connor a shot. What do they have to lose?

By watching the first couple of preseason games and the performances of Hoyer and Manziel, not much.
The Browns will make the safe pick at QB - Hoyer, because of his experience, and keep Manziel on the bench, until they believe he is ready for mop-up duty. I am not worried about Connor. He will find a place on someone's roster within a year or two, maybe even with the Browns.

It's just the NFL way it goes.
uscgrad68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:47 PM   #367
AtlGAMECOCK
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 3568
AtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to AtlGAMECOCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACPhilson View Post
Nah, I don't think so. Shaw is gonna get cut from the team. BANK ON IT. No team is gonna have 4 QB's. That's why they wont cut Rex. Rex wont play, ever. He is there to help JFF get his effing head straight and out of bars and into the play book.

Why is it, 1 round draft pick superstar JFF says "he doesn't know the play book" and undrafted signee Shaw does know the playbook? Simple. One is immature and one is a professional. They will cut the professional, and have Rex mature JFF, if, and that's a BIG IF, some other team doesn't try to kill JFF for his stupidity.
The more they try and mature manziel and change him I think the worse he will be
Old 08-19-2014, 12:54 PM   #368
Aggie96
Resident Aggie

Male

CockyCash: 350
Aggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudly

Shaw looked good, the TD however was a double bounce Hail Mary... One preseason game playing with 3's and 4's does not an NFL starter make

Not what anyone on this site wants to hear, but come on guys think with your head and not your heart...

Do I think JFF is ready to start week 1??? Nope, but he will start at some point and the upside is much higher.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:55 PM   #369
Rebel4ever
The Paradigm Shift

Male

CockyCash: 200
Rebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlGAMECOCK View Post
The more they try and mature manziel and change him I think the worse he will be
And I hope they cut Shaw and he gets on somewhere else and gets a shot to beat the Browns. That'd be sweet!
Old 08-19-2014, 12:55 PM   #370
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

CockyCash: 300
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Got up this morning to watch some sports center. Apparently Shaw did not play at all last night, at least the talking heads seem to think so. I haven't even heard him mentioned once.

"Are you a millionaire right now?" 'Nah, not yet. I'm still broke." - Jadeveon Clowney

Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.

Gamecocks1137 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:13 PM   #371
jayceecock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 573
jayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPit

Let's face it, Cleveland Browns are one of the worst run franchises in the NFL.

The story goes Jimmy Haslam the owner ordered to pick Manziel because a homeless man told him to. Front office denied story, but nevertheless, Teddy Bridgewater was available, and he would been a better pick.

No matter how bad Manziel plays, he will not be cut or traded. Browns got him to sell tickets.

The assembled coaching staff is below mediocre. Who is Mike Pettine? He was a DC for the Bills and Jets with no HC experience. OC Kyle Shanahan was so bad his dad had to call plays which led to them being fired from the Redskins.
Shaw got better coaching at USC from Mangus and SOS then the current Brown's QB coach who has very limited coaching experience.

I wish Connor all the best, but I rather see him playing elsewhere than the circus in Cleveland. Somehow, I got the feeling they are only keeping Connor around to throw to the receivers in drills and then release him when Grossman gets in shape. Hopefully by then, it's not too late for him to get picked up by another team.
jayceecock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:14 PM   #372
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie96 View Post
Shaw looked good, the TD however was a double bounce Hail Mary... One preseason game playing with 3's and 4's does not an NFL starter make

Not what anyone on this site wants to hear, but come on guys think with your head and not your heart...

Do I think JFF is ready to start week 1??? Nope, but he will start at some point and the upside is much higher.
I am thinking with my head and honestly, I am unsure if there is any actually a higher upside with Manziel. Gruden interviewed the guy and said he had never been in a huddle before the NFL, and Manziel admitted as much. Did you see him try to run away from some guys last night? It's not like college where he could actually create some space there, they all tracked him down and he ended up getting tackled or throwing it away. Shaw is bigger than Manziel, he is faster, and has a better grasp of the playbook and style despite not getting the snaps in practice like Manziel has.

Oh, and let's discuss the middle finger. Manziel mentions that its Monday night, cameras on me, I have to be ready for that stuff. Now notice the reasons he gives. Not that it was just a bad idea to let people know I hear that stuff and give a reaction similarly to the way he did in the Rice game, oh no, because the cameras were on me I should've known better. No Johnny F'in Football, you should've known better because you're not a 13 year old boy who just heard a yo momma joke on the playground. You are trying to get an NFL starting gig, stop acting like you're in the parking lot at the Cheetah.

Now Johnny will get every chance to prove himself. You don't draft a QB in the 1st round and fail to let him have a shot. But I have gone on record many times, I don't think he'll be successful. Connor Shaw may not be either, but I know if he had the same opportunity as Manziel he would be doing more right now that JFF.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:17 PM   #373
Lonnie
Band

Male

Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayceecock View Post
Let's face it, Cleveland Browns are one of the worst run franchises in the NFL..... and he would been a better pick.

No matter how bad Manziel plays, he will not be cut or traded. Browns got him to sell tickets.
After the way he played last night, it's obvious that Browns front office (and ESPN) is hyping JF simply to sell season tickets and selling out out the Browns fans and wins/losses.

Lonnie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:18 PM   #374
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan_aggie View Post
You guys crack me up.

I'm glad Connor did well. I want him to make the team over Grossman. Connor seems like a good kid and deserves a real opportunity to make a roster as QB #2 or #3 at the worst.

But let's get real. Connor came in against 2nd/3rd string peripheral special teams guys just trying to make the initial roster cut to 75. I'd like to see him come out and play against 1st string D with the first string O and go 85% completion percentage.

I don't really give extra credit for playing offense with the 2nd team and receiver set because frankly, they all suck. Gordon and Cameron are the only real weapons, and Gordon showed a lack of effort on a few plays.
Ok, and who was Johnny Football going against in the first half of the 4th quarter? Was Josh Gordon on the field with Connor Shaw too? Gruden kept mentioning over and over again how shocked he was Gordon was still in, but they were trying to build chemistry and given Johnny the best chance to succeed.

Do you honestly believe Washington had their best players in their with Johnny in the first half of the 4th quarter is my question. This comparison is a lot closer than most people would like to believe.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:18 PM   #375
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:

Read our comments on this. We don't expect Connor to start (at least I don't). I just expect his performance last night should give him a chance. Remember that Manziel played into the 4th against back up guys as well - and sucked. Connor played WITH 3rd and 4th string OL and WRs and still made plays.

He knew the playbook, made accurate throws, and ran a 2 minute drill (with or without the hail mary - doesn't matter). He still completed every pass but one (again, with or without the hail mary) and put up better numbers in 2 series than either Hoyer or Manziel in 2 games.

Guy did enough to earn some opportunities in the preseason even if he doesn't start.

Manziel may be a better athlete but Connor is smarter, more mature, and more accurate. He played in the SEC too, threw many TDs as well, and won more games than Manziel the last 2 years. Manziel can make plays but doesn't necessarily make him the better QB.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:20 PM   #376
ColaCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 800
ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material

Quote:

This is true and I think I look at things with an open mind and without bias...but to be fair to Connor, Manziel was in there late against those same 3 & 4's and choked pretty hard.

Connor surprised me. Now, a couple of those passes were really tight and great catches by receivers...but he was putting them in places where they could be caught versus on the ground or behind the receivers (which JFF did all night).

The defensive talent he was facing is one thing...but you can't deny that the composure and throwing mechanics were in Connor's favor last night. He made better throws, showed patience we rarely saw when he was a Gamecock, and moved the ball. Small sample size, but it is what it is.

Sad reality is that cards are stacked against Connor. No matter how well he does, there is a lot of $$$ invested in the QBs above him. Very few care if he succeeds or not in the big scheme of things.

I can say I am done with JFF, though. I've been back and forth across the fence with him at times...I like his "don't care" attitude and sort of appreciate his ability to keep it real when all of the attention is on him. However, you have to show class at times when required; and it's clear JFF has very little. Throwing up the middle finger as a rookie in an NFL game to the opposing bench is stupid and just asks for more problems. I no longer hope for him to overcome the odds and be successful.

ColaCock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:20 PM   #377
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 4466416
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

I just don''t get how manziel supposedly has such a great upside in comparison to shaw. Look at their measurables. Shaw's are better or they are close in all categories. Look at the actual game film from botb. Shaw is more composed and prepared. Manziel's ability to make plays is incredible but it highlights his lack of composure and preparedness. All that said Johnny is the future of the Browns organization because of his marketability, money tied up, and his entertainment value. I am curious to see how their careers play out and stack up against each other in 5 years
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:20 PM   #378
BiscoCocky
Recruit

Male

BiscoCocky is making other chickens nervousBiscoCocky is making other chickens nervousBiscoCocky is making other chickens nervousBiscoCocky is making other chickens nervousBiscoCocky is making other chickens nervousBiscoCocky is making other chickens nervousBiscoCocky is making other chickens nervous

The funny thing about Juanito futbol is that jerry jones had to be physically restrained from drafting. Even tho we get overloaded w jf already, I wish the cowboys would've drafted him bc the train wreck surrounding that qb contersversy would be awesome. I think shaw makes a practice squad, hopefully Philly an offense I think he'd do well in.
BiscoCocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:22 PM   #379
wildtexcock
2nd Team All-SEC

Female

CockyCash: 1000600
wildtexcock is USC mascot materialwildtexcock is USC mascot materialwildtexcock is USC mascot materialwildtexcock is USC mascot materialwildtexcock is USC mascot materialwildtexcock is USC mascot materialwildtexcock is USC mascot materialwildtexcock is USC mascot materialwildtexcock is USC mascot materialwildtexcock is USC mascot materialwildtexcock is USC mascot material

Johnny Finger let the world know that he is a mental midget with easy access to his non-professional head. If he allowed the Washington Redskins football team to get to him that easily last night, I bet rabid NFL fans across the league can't wait for their chance.
wildtexcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:22 PM   #380
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Manziel can make plays and is athletic. Connor is just a better QB.

There are many Heisman winners and high profile QBs who were busts. I believe Manziel will be one of those. He isn't a great QB and he's proven that.