CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
kingoftheroost
Badazcock
thekob
cockfight21
Ericvol2096
ChickenButt
gadeneer1986
Cockypantherfan
gamecockgal
10-2 (2399)
Build a New Stadium (1555)
Four UK Players Susp (1502)
Connor Shaw's fault. (888)
Cleaned up version: (874)
Nosovitch (689)
This program has no (583)
400 pasing yards (554)
Defer Or Not? (533)
Remaining schedules (457)
Maty Mauk tries to take o
Name a Gamecock
QB Recruiting Strategy
What fish do you eat
Four UK Players Suspended
Build a New Stadium
Cleaned up version: SEC E
2015 - Darian Roseboro
Thoughts on Shawn Elliott
400 pasing yards

Old 08-19-2014, 04:28 AM   #61
GabbieM
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 850
GabbieM is crowing loudlyGabbieM is crowing loudlyGabbieM is crowing loudlyGabbieM is crowing loudlyGabbieM is crowing loudlyGabbieM is crowing loudlyGabbieM is crowing loudlyGabbieM is crowing loudlyGabbieM is crowing loudlyGabbieM is crowing loudlyGabbieM is crowing loudly
Default Re: Really excited to visit the other Columbia!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nureye View Post
Jesus. Some of this info is embarrassing. Here is why:

1: Rockaways is nasty and the service is worse.
2. Yesterdays is average, at best, canned food with dodgy health standards.
3. Lizard's Thicket is good only for breakfast, and there are better places in town to eat breakfast.
4. I love Groucho's but it's not cheap and its nothing special if you aren't from, or went to college in, Columbia.
5. Palmetto Pig is the most average BBQ place in Columbia. Wouldn't even rank it in the top 5. (Doc's is solid.)
6. Beezer's? Tako Sushi? WTF, are you trying to give them food poisoning?
7. Hunter-Gatherer is very good. Perfect local place. Not sure it's great for kids.

Columbia does have some GREAT places to eat, but most of the ones mentioned in this thread are very mediocre. Buyer beware.

Sorry most places in Columbia don't own up to your "high standards". Maybe go back up North.

On a side note, almost all food places around here and anywhere in the country are horrible at times and then good at times. You should see the conditions of some of the kitchens of even the beloved $50-$80 eating spots around here. Nothing is that great. The man just wanted to take six people somewhere good that won't break his wallet.

For you to down any eating place... even a McDonalds in Columbia like you did in your little list is lame. You do know we true Southerners who were told to eat what was on our plate and be respectful don't really take kindly to that type of stuff right?

Give us a list of your top 5 spots in Columbia, SC. Please.

Last edited by GabbieM; 08-19-2014 at 04:40 AM.
GabbieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:45 AM   #62
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 89095
CockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPit

To the OP you are mistaken you are excited to visit THE Columbia!
THE University of SOUTH CAROLINA!

CockyLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:38 AM   #63
nin_usc_freak92
Class of 2015

Male

CockyCash: 3400
nin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodySpur View Post
I don't know where y'all get this from!

Beezer's has fresh homemade bread and fresh cut meats in their subs... not to mention the best pickles I have ever eaten.

Tako Sushi has the freshest Sushi around,,, also an awesome Sake list... and as I said, the tempura asparagus with the spicy dipping sauce is to die for! And it has a cool Gamecock/college vibe on the weekends... especially during football season.
Please, Tako Sushi is terrible now. A few years back I would have agreed that it's a good restaurant but last time I went they had a B rating on the door (shouldn't have gone in), the sushi was terrible and smelled fishy (and I had tuna, not something off the wall), and service was awful. All for a $50-60 for 2 people. I don't think I'll ever be back.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:43 AM   #64
nin_usc_freak92
Class of 2015

Male

CockyCash: 3400
nin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
Lived in Columbia all my life. Pawley's Front Porch is my top place for a burger. Salty Nut makes some great burgers as well.

Like many have said, the Vista has many great places up and down the area. Take your pick.

As far as BBQ, Docs is better overall than Palmetto Pig but you still can't go wrong with either.
I was a huge fan of pawleys (still am for happy hour), but Burger Tavern on Devine has just as good if not better burgers, IMO. Plus it's a little more reasonable on the wallet vs pawleys regular menu.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:58 AM   #65
palmettosc
hypnotoad

Male

CockyCash: 1200
palmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabbieM View Post
Sorry most places in Columbia don't own up to your "high standards". Maybe go back up North.

On a side note, almost all food places around here and anywhere in the country are horrible at times and then good at times. You should see the conditions of some of the kitchens of even the beloved $50-$80 eating spots around here. Nothing is that great. The man just wanted to take six people somewhere good that won't break his wallet.

For you to down any eating place... even a McDonalds in Columbia like you did in your little list is lame. You do know we true Southerners who were told to eat what was on our plate and be respectful don't really take kindly to that type of stuff right?

You know someone doesn't have a leg to stand on when the "true Southerner" business comes out. Dude was spot on with the exception of the food poisoning stuff.
palmettosc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:34 AM   #66
HeadCockFan
...where the Pampers is.

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

I've been living outside of Baltimore now for almost 2 years. There are no chocolate dipped cone places close by, the closest being a Dairy Queen inside a crappy mall that is 25 minutes away. God, I miss Zesto's. I used to drive by it every day. It's funny how I took that kind of stuff for granted. Columbia, SC is one convenient place to live. Everything up here is crowded and full of unfriendly people. Riverbanks blows away the zoo in Baltimore. For one, they are remodeling half the zoo here and there's nothing to see. For two, it's just not a nice experience getting in and out of the crap hole. For three, it's way too expensive.

I have found that to be true for most things you could go and do up here. People don't play in their yards at all for example, they go to parks. What is that? I told a guy I wanted a flat lot so I could play football in the yard, and he looked at me like I was crazy.

I complained about Columbia the way many folks do, but with a little perspective now, I see it's a pretty nice place to raise a family or retire. I miss just breezing through the Publix downtown for a single item (and being able to buy beer there). I can put up with the half-human Assembly Street drivers that just farted into town from Gaston, if only to have the convenience and housing prices that Columbia offers.
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:05 AM   #67
HeadCockFan
...where the Pampers is.

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadCockFan View Post
For three, it's way too expensive.
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:32 AM   #68
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

CockyCash: 415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabbieM View Post
...You do know we true Southerners who were told to eat what was on our plate and be respectful don't really take kindly to that type of stuff right?

Bwahaha. What a joke. GTFOOH with that "Go back up north" BS. I've lived in Columbia for 25 years (and my whole life in the south), and most of the restaurants are AVERAGE. Nothing personal, but wow do you sound like a redneck. Anyways, here are my 5 top places to eat in Columbia. (Sorry, I'm not including Olive Garden or Red Lobster.)

1. Arirang - Korean on Decker
2. Saluda's - Best pork chop ever.
3. Cola's - Haven't had a bad meal yet
4. Kraken - Best chicken wings and beer specials in town.
5. Tazza - The old Cafe Caturra

Also, Cock n Bull, Mai Thai, Garibaldi's, Rosso, Bourbon, Golden Chop Stixx, and Real Mexico are fantastic.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:01 PM   #69
MU Mike
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
MU Mike is learning to peckMU Mike is learning to peck

Wow!!! Thanks for all the information and passionate replies, I love it!

We'll be in your fine state for eight days, so we definitely have some time carved out for Charleston. I appreciate all the ideas for the kids as well.

Thank you again! If I survive the 14 hour drive with my kids across half of the country (Aunt Edna be damned), I'll try and chime in during the week. I always love reading when other fans come to Mizzou, so I'd like to do the same here.
MU Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:11 PM   #70
ElectricCock
Fear The Thumb, Clemson

Male

CockyCash: 200516
ElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by MU Mike View Post

We'll be in your fine state for eight days, so we definitely have some time carved out for Charleston. I appreciate all the ideas for the kids as well.

Thank you again! If I survive the 14 hour drive with my kids across half of the country (Aunt Edna be damned), I'll try and chime in during the week. I always love reading when other fans come to Mizzou, so I'd like to do the same here.
Long thread and I don't have time to read it, but if it hasn't been mentioned already... our stadium is the largest off-campus stadium in the country... so I would definitely recommend heading over to the campus and walk around the horseshoe and stroll around.

Also, come back in 2 years because the area around the stadium is getting completely redone and will look even better.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:15 PM   #71
thekob
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 100700
thekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot material

Quote:
Bwahaha. What a joke. GTFOOH with that "Go back up north" BS. I've lived in Columbia for 25 years (and my whole life in the south), and most of the restaurants are AVERAGE. Nothing personal, but wow do you sound like a redneck. Anyways, here are my 5 top places to eat in Columbia. (Sorry, I'm not including Olive Garden or Red Lobster.)

1. Arirang - Korean on Decker
2. Saluda's - Best pork chop ever.
3. Cola's - Haven't had a bad meal yet
4. Kraken - Best chicken wings and beer specials in town.
5. Tazza - The old Cafe Caturra

Also, Cock n Bull, Mai Thai, Garibaldi's, Rosso, Bourbon, Golden Chop Stixx, and Real Mexico are fantastic.
Solid list. Never been to Arirang but if I get out that way I might give Korean another chance. Viet Pho is also good if it's still there...I think they may have opened up one on Forest Drive or something?

No Mr. Friendly's and Solstice though? Those are legit.
thekob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:24 PM   #72
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

CockyCash: 415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekob View Post
Solid list. Never been to Arirang but if I get out that way I might give Korean another chance. Viet Pho is also good if it's still there...I think they may have opened up one on Forest Drive or something?

No Mr. Friendly's and Solstice though? Those are legit.

The Korean scene in Columbia is a our biggest hidden gem. I don't really like to tell people about it as I don't want to compete with too many non-Koreans to get my kim-Chee gigae.

I like Pho Viet, but I question their cleaning standards. I usually hit the one in 5 Points when its cold and rainy. the one on Decker is iffy.

Nothing against Mr. Friendly's or Solstice I just don't eat there. It's hard to get certain places in the rotation without breaking the bank.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:47 PM   #73
thekob
Household Name

Male

thekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot material

Quote:
The Korean scene in Columbia is a our biggest hidden gem. I don't really like to tell people about it as I don't want to compete with too many non-Koreans to get my kim-Chee gigae.

I like Pho Viet, but I question their cleaning standards. I usually hit the one in 5 Points when its cold and rainy. the one on Decker is iffy.

Nothing against Mr. Friendly's or Solstice I just don't eat there. It's hard to get certain places in the rotation without breaking the bank.
I understand about Mr Friendly's and Solstice, they aren't cheap. Thanks for the other suggestions.

Korean just never seems to agree with me for some reason. I'm guessing it's the spices combination. You are spot on about Mai Thai though. There was a solid thai place in Lexington in a strip mall that was a veritable clone called Thai Wasabi. It's since closed and turned into a vietnamese place (saigon moon) that was apparently really good, but also closed. Not sure what's there now.
thekob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:28 PM   #74
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 4466416
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

I would put up zest o's fried chicken against any restaurant in Columbia at least I would a few years ago but I haven't had any in a few years
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:48 PM   #75
FilchCock
4-Star

Male

FilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPit

Honestly don't get the Beezer's hate on this thread. I've eaten there a million times without any worry of health standards, and it's cheap as anything.

Godfather no mayo, no tomato, extra vinaigrette......can't go wrong.
FilchCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:51 PM   #76
sandstorm2001
1st Team All-SEC

Male

sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

My recommendation is that you forget about iconic places to eat in Columbia and plan to spend the vast majority of your eating out budget in Charleston.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:03 PM   #77
sandstorm2001
1st Team All-SEC

Male

sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadCockFan View Post
Homemade bread? They cook it there, but that dough comes in boxes as frozen logs. It's literally flavorless. Look I like Beezers for the convenience if I'm working nearby and can walk, but the man will be in town one weekend only. Beezers?
People are overly excited about Beezers. The primary reason is that it's cheap. The second reason is that it's open super late and they deliver, meaning when you're drunk at 1 AM you can either walk over and get some or have it delivered to you. At this point, since you are drunk, you're super excited about any food that you can put in your mouth. Then, when you're sober, you just remember being really drunk and loving that Beezer's sub so it develops a special place in your heart. I would take a sub from publix or Firehouse over Beezers any day.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:07 PM   #78
BlueHerons
4-Star

Female

BlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandstorm2001 View Post
My recommendation is that you forget about iconic places to eat in Columbia and plan to spend the vast majority of your eating out budget in Charleston.
Fig
Hominy Grill
Husk
Hanks
Peninsula Grill
Poogan's Porch (brunch only)
Jestine's Kitchen (again, brunch)
Cru Café
SNOB
Magnolias
McCradys
High Cotton

My husband and I used to live on Garden City Beach which is an hour from downtown Charleston and we used to run down all the time for drinks and dinner.

Make sure you leave the kids home one night and head to the rooftop of the Vendue Inn or Market Pavillion for drinks.
BlueHerons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 02:09 PM   #79
nicstockman
Allway’s wright

Male

CockyCash: 30812298
nicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandstorm2001 View Post

This. I can't stress this enough, Charleston is where you want to eat.

I don't consider myself a 'foodie' but you're best eateries in this state are in Charleston. The food truck scene in Charleston is hot right now and I've had better food from a food truck than some of these recommendations in Columbia.

As I said earlier, you'll be glad you got to see USC, Williams-Brice and Columbia (the Zoo is decent, the Museum and the EdVenture Children's museum is a good visit for the kids), but you'll wish you had more time to spend in Charleston.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:34 PM   #80
Order 66
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Order 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by MU Mike View Post

Pure honesty here, spend your 8 days in Charleston or on the coast. I've lived in Columbia my whole life. There is nothing for you and a young family in Columbia (except the zoo..blah). They will have a blast in Myrtle, Charleston, Hilton Head, or Edisto. There's just not much going on for 8 days in Columbia. It might be good for a day trip for a football game (the same goes for Clemson SC...but at least Columbia is 1.5 hours from the coast).