CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
Clowneygotcha
Gamecocks1137
gamecockgal
Evilchicken3
spareparts
Acockolypse Now
Badazcock
eightohhthree
StormOfTalons
Mike Davis (3270)
Terrible Officiating (1821)
Cack's Toast of the (1732)
Acock's Wrap Up: Geo (1539)
If (big IF) we can w (1361)
USC -21 and a hook @ (1277)
Elliott Fry crushes (1255)
No Gurley near the g (1211)
Most Spirited Fan (918)
How the top 25 SHOUL (855)
ESPN is mad that USC beat
Corey Robinson SEC Offens
Tired of night games
If (big IF) we can win bi
Been a pleasure talking w
No Gurley near the goal l
The SEC East schedule fro
Beasley, Sack God
Acock's Wrap Up: Georgia
Most Spirited Fan

Old 08-19-2014, 09:33 AM   #1
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material
Default Preparing for the smash route

With our young corners this is a play I'm a little worried about. It's one of aTm's bread and butter plays where they put trips to one side of the field. The outside receivers hold the coverage underneath with short in routes and the slot receiver closest the formation runs the corner. They eat a lot of teams up with this play and I'm guessing they run it multiple times against us especially in the endzone. Very similar to the play we run where our x receiver looks like he is jogging in place but he is holding the corner and we slip the Z behind the coverage with the fade. Virtually impossible to stop when executed.

Sumlin's passing tree is going to be an extremely tough test for our back end. They do a lot of stuff we don't see very much outside of ECU. Gotta hope that Green, Lammons, and Harris really get after it in prep because they are the guys that are going to get picked on.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:46 AM   #2
Sir Cuss
Blue Chip

Female

CockyCash: 500
Sir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot material
Default Re: Preparing for the smash route

You can solve this with cover two, but it opens up the two deep routes on the center and outside. Just gotta time our blitzing right and hope the man-to-man is covered when we blitz.

Sir Cuss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:52 AM   #3
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

We defend this by rattling their young QB. Make him go Tajh Boyd all over himself.

Order Of The Spur
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:57 AM   #4
Garnet Gamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Garnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
Make him go Tajh Boyd all over himself.
This!
Old 08-19-2014, 10:08 AM   #5
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Brison (or one of the other DBs interviewed yesterday) said that A&M receivers never run the same route. Found that an interesting comment. I think our DBs know they will be severely tested.

A&M has excellent receivers and run a lot of quick passing stuff. They have a really good OL. Pressuring the sophomore is going to be tough.

Hopefully, our new blitz package can wreak havoc with the A&M line. Good thing we play them early before their coordinator has a chance to diagnose our new scheme and players.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:38 AM   #6
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Cuss View Post
You can solve this with cover two, but it opens up the two deep routes on the center and outside. Just gotta time our blitzing right and hope the man-to-man is covered when we blitz.
Coverage busts are bound to happen with so many inexperienced players. That is what scares the crap out of me playing zone. You see a bunch of miscommunication between the Safeties and Corners. When we play man its basically coming down to which side of the ball has the better players.

aTm's skill guys, while inexperienced, might be some of the most talented we see all season long.

I hope Coach Ward proves me wrong and is able to get a pass rush because that is the one thing that can equalize.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
Old 08-19-2014, 11:04 AM   #7
Coondog
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Coondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot material

Isn't this why Ward has been implementing the 3-4 defense? Jam there receivers at the line and disguise blitzes.
Coondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:09 AM   #8
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

yeah A&M is probably going to move it and score. Newbies at end and corner and sumlin's offense are not a good combo. Offense will need to ground and pound and control the ball and hopefully their rookie qb throws a pick or two.

Last edited by LegalCock; 08-19-2014 at 11:27 AM.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:18 AM   #9
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coondog View Post
Isn't this why Ward has been implementing the 3-4 defense? Jam there receivers at the line and disguise blitzes.
Still have to get to the QB though. This is the amount of sacks by returnees from last year:

DL: 4

Surratt - 1.5
Harris - 1.0
English - 0.5
Griffin - 0.5
Dixon, Jr. - 0.5

LB: 5.5

Roberts - 1.5
Golightly - 1.5
Lewis - 1.0
Holloman - 1.0
Moore - 0.5

Not sure who is going to bring the pressure. One would hope that English can get around 10 this year.

Old 08-19-2014, 12:47 PM   #10
cockybreeyan
Bowl MVP

Male

cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit

Yea, I'm more worried about getting pressure and sacks than coverage. We have athletic, talented DBs but if they have to cover for 5 seconds every play, we're gonna get killed
cockybreeyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 03:57 PM   #11
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 114508514
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockybreeyan View Post
Yea, I'm more worried about getting pressure and sacks than coverage. We have athletic, talented DBs but if they have to cover for 5 seconds every play, we're gonna get killed
Pressure is key. We need to speed the game up for that young qb and get some turnovers.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:20 PM   #12
Sir Cuss
Blue Chip

Female

Sir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
Coverage busts are bound to happen with so many inexperienced players. That is what scares the crap out of me playing zone. You see a bunch of miscommunication between the Safeties and Corners. When we play man its basically coming down to which side of the ball has the better players.

aTm's skill guys, while inexperienced, might be some of the most talented we see all season long.

I hope Coach Ward proves me wrong and is able to get a pass rush because that is the one thing that can equalize.
Coverage busts happen? No! You don't say.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but our safeties are somewhat experienced. Provided we aren't rolling coverage, the corners won't cover the deep halves on cover 2 coverage. So . . . with no roll and no cover 3, we won't have to worry about a CB busted coverage (it will be a 5-10 yard route, not a 50 yard pass).

Sir Cuss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 04:22 PM   #13
Coondog
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Coondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot material

Quote:
Still have to get to the QB though. This is the amount of sacks by returnees from last year:

DL: 4

Surratt - 1.5
Harris - 1.0
English - 0.5
Griffin - 0.5
Dixon, Jr. - 0.5

LB: 5.5

Roberts - 1.5
Golightly - 1.5
Lewis - 1.0
Holloman - 1.0
Moore - 0.5

Not sure who is going to bring the pressure. One would hope that English can get around 10 this year.
Those are far from impressive numbers but the d-line only returns one starter so most of those numbers are from limited duty. And though the LB's did improve as the season progressed they really didn't start playing well until mid season if not later. Spurrier did say that last season the defense seem to play like they were waiting on Clowney to make a play.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:24 PM   #14
evan_aggie
Recruit

Male

evan_aggie is sharpening his clawsevan_aggie is sharpening his clawsevan_aggie is sharpening his clawsevan_aggie is sharpening his claws

Quote:

Nice compliments regarding our skill guys. I have maroon glasses, but I think you are right in our WR/RB guys being some of the best you see all season, save Gurley. FWIW, my confidence meter has now lowered to 25%. I'm not getting any serious fuzzy feelings about our defensive unit aside from Zaycoven Henderson, Myles Garrett, and Daeshan Hall. Our LB corps is suspect as usual, and our #1 DB is out with an injury.
evan_aggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 04:30 PM   #15
rosstheboss
Diehard

Male

CockyCash: 461687660
rosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot material

Ball control. Ball control. Ball control. The 3 keys to beating A&M. I think our ground attack of long, methodical, drives will drive the a&m offense crazy. Hopefully that, their relative inexperience at some of the skill positions, and our crowd noise will force them into some quick decisions and turnovers that ultimately lead us to victory.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:40 PM   #16
Coondog
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

I think our defense has a better chance of stopping them then there's do of stopping us. It most likely won't be a high scoring game since I'm sure our offense will try to control the ground game and eat the clock. This game very well could be closer than any of us want to believe.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:35 PM   #17
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 89095
CockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
We defend this by rattling their young QB. Make him go Tajh Boyd all over himself.
Ding Ding Ding!
THE University of SOUTH CAROLINA!

CockyLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:47 PM   #18
GarnetBlack&Blue
Burp Guns and Trust Funds

Male

CockyCash: 110000
GarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot material

Honestly, I think they are going to move the ball really easily on us through the air...

I'm hoping their lack of experience and our athleticism at LB can cause some turnovers, if we can avoid giving up big plays and force the action towards the middle of the field. Ironically this had killed us in the past, but I think this is best group of LBs we've ever had in pass protection.

I see this as the kind of game the defense just needs to survive and the offense needs to be efficient.

EDIT: Very glad this is a home game, that's our best chance of rattling their QB, I don't see the line getting a ton of pressure.

2ND EDIT: I'M SO GLAD WE ARE GETTING THIS CLOSE AND WE CAN TALK ABOUT ACTUAL GAMES THAT ARE ACTUALLY ABOUT TO HAPPEN
Old 08-19-2014, 05:54 PM   #19
BiscoCocky
Recruit

Male

BiscoCocky is making other chickens nervousBiscoCocky is making other chickens nervousBiscoCocky is making other chickens nervousBiscoCocky is making other chickens nervousBiscoCocky is making other chickens nervousBiscoCocky is making other chickens nervousBiscoCocky is making other chickens nervous

The most glaring problem w ATMs defensive is their inability to tackle, I think mike d will have a good game, also feel like wilds could have a real good night. Lsu used the power run and the deep ball in the middle, two things we do well. Does go lightly play in the 3-4, he's decent in coverage (as our most of lbs) i love the thought him of rerouting these wrs getting them off their timing. Hopefully Brinson, playing cb helps here in terms picking up the proper man. I like the fact that our coaching staff did Oklahoma drills this year, if we can get after ATM early and often we have the personal to control the game.

We've beaten flashy teams like Clempsun by punching them in mouth, using our run game, and being more physical than them. Maybe I'm wearing garnet glasses but I think we should be able to impose our will on them by the 4qtr by sticking to our mo of being physical, fast, and aggressive.
BiscoCocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:06 PM   #20
GarnetSwarm1990
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 738
GarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talons

Controlling the T.O.P and keeping their offense off the field will be the best defense. They are going to get yards, plain and simple. That offense is all about racking up as many yards as possible. So keeping them off the field and making them play from behind will be essential.
GarnetSwarm1990 is offline   Reply With Quote