CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
B-G
thekob
b381l
markp_vip
Gamecocks1137
kingoftheroost
Lonnie
Cockhornleghorn
JDJones
l^l^lBGCock
Braxton Miller (2481)
ESPN’s Marisa Martin (1251)
Fan bias toward a sp (678)
RG3 - Struggles Not (546)
Family, Faith, and G (509)
Have a problem and h (311)
Spurs vs. Cavs (299)
**USC Women vs. Clem (278)
The Official How Do (228)
2014 Charleston Clas (217)
Sidney Rice is having the
Lineup Changes (Offense)
Name a Gamecock
Braxton Miller
10 years since "the
2014 Charleston Classic *
Dylan's post-game sidelin
**USC Women vs. Clemson G
how do you feel about Cle
Fan bias toward a specifi

Old 08-19-2014, 02:52 PM   #81
Order 66
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Order 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Really excited to visit the other Columbia!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccured View Post
I would put up zest o's fried chicken against any restaurant in Columbia at least I would a few years ago but I haven't had any in a few years
Depends on what Zesto's we are talking about. The original in Cayce (under the giant cone) has the best in Columbia. No contest. My wife says otherwise though, Rush's for her.

Columbia does have some good eating, IMO (don't care about yours... :p)

Rio's Brazillian Steakhouse in Harbison
Hunter Gatherer (more for the beer)
Motor Supply
Ruth's Chris (obviously)
Bonefish
Grouchos (STP for a quick lunch)
Brunches (great breakfast)
Villa Trunco
Miyabi's
Al's Upstairs
True BBQ

Places I've been meaning to eat, but heard great things..

Little Pig's on Alpine Rd (supposed to have the best BBQ in Columbia...we will see)
Oak Table
Oyster Bar (wife liked it)
Old 08-19-2014, 02:55 PM   #82
robgusc76
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101200
robgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to robgusc76

Quote:
Originally Posted by MU Mike View Post
We are jumping in the family truckster and headed to Folly Beach for a family vacation in September. My wife and I planned it to coincide with the Mizzou-South Carolina game this year and I am so excited to get to see your campus and stadium. When we first joined the SEC, this was number one on my list. I have always been impressed with your team so I'm excited to finally get to visit.

In fact, there are a lot of Mizzou fans that feel the same way I do. There was an immediate respect and connection about the Gamecocks for some reason, I can't explain it. But if there's another team I root for in the SEC, it's you guys. Again, not exactly sure why but I just like your fans, your team, and especially your coach.

So, I just wanted to jump on here and get a few pointers for that weekend. I will have my wife and four young kids with me (11, 9, 5 and 5) so we can't get too crazy. But I would like to drive up on Friday and tour the campus and hit some good local spots to eat. Suggestions? I'm sure Saturday will be a madhouse so that's why I thought it would be good to see your Columbia on Friday instead.

On Saturday, where do we park and how can I see those cool rail cars?!?!?!

Also, unrelated to the game, but this is our first east coast trip and we've heard nothing but great things about Folly Beach. How will the weather be in late September?

Thanks, and good luck this season!
We're excited to have you…But lets get real, Columbia, South Carolina is the original Columbia….
robgusc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 03:00 PM   #83
Order 66
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Order 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodySpur View Post
I don't know where y'all get this from!

Beezer's has fresh homemade bread and fresh cut meats in their subs... not to mention the best pickles I have ever eaten.

Tako Sushi has the freshest Sushi around,,, also an awesome Sake list... and as I said, the tempura asparagus with the spicy dipping sauce is to die for! And it has a cool Gamecock/college vibe on the weekends... especially during football season.
Homemade? If pulling it out the freezer means making it, then sure. My wife make homemade stuff, I know because I can see it. Don't trust what a menu says.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:51 PM   #84
BloodySpur
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 1200
BloodySpur is making other chickens nervousBloodySpur is making other chickens nervousBloodySpur is making other chickens nervousBloodySpur is making other chickens nervousBloodySpur is making other chickens nervousBloodySpur is making other chickens nervousBloodySpur is making other chickens nervous

Yeah... what was I thinking... Beezer's subs do suck! Once again I have been shown the err of my ways... thanks guys! But that's damn good pickle though!!! If I were coming in from out of town... I'd search out the best damn pickle joint in Columbia and go get it... know where I'd go??? Beezer's!
Old 08-19-2014, 06:14 PM   #85
HeadCockFan
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Order 66 View Post
Pure honesty here, spend your 8 days in Charleston or on the coast. I've lived in Columbia my whole life. There is nothing for you and a young family in Columbia (except the zoo..blah). They will have a blast in Myrtle, Charleston, Hilton Head, or Edisto. There's just not much going on for 8 days in Columbia. It might be good for a day trip for a football game (the same goes for Clemson SC...but at least Columbia is 1.5 hours from the coast).
Blasphemy, the zoo is awesome. If you wanna spice it up, grab a flask.

Yeah I agree though, 8 days on the coast is a better plan.
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:12 PM   #86
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 58166
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

Anyone else love Grille 225 (In the Market Pavillon Hotel)... My fave steak place in Charleston.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:13 PM   #87
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 58166
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadCockFan View Post
Blasphemy, the zoo is awesome. If you wanna spice it up, grab a flask.

Yeah I agree though, 8 days on the coast is a better plan.
Grabbing a flash also spices up a funeral... IJS. :)
Old 08-19-2014, 07:30 PM   #88
Cockhornleghorn
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200700
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to Cockhornleghorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodySpur View Post
I don't know where y'all get this from!

Beezer's has fresh homemade bread and fresh cut meats in their subs... not to mention the best pickles I have ever eaten.

Tako Sushi has the freshest Sushi around,,, also an awesome Sake list... and as I said, the tempura asparagus with the spicy dipping sauce is to die for! And it has a cool Gamecock/college vibe on the weekends... especially during football season.
Takosushi is NOT good sushi; M Vista, M Grille, Camon and Saki Tumi are much better for sushi.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:39 PM   #89
Cockhornleghorn
Household Name

Male

Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material

Here are my restaurant recommendations:

Sushi: Camon or Saki Tumi
Asian Fusion: M Vista or M Grille
Seafood: Blue Marlin
Korean: Blue Cactus or O-Bok
Vietnamese: Golden Chopstix
Thai: Baan Sawan
Burgers and fries: Yesterday's
Continental/French influenced: Hampton Street Vineyard
Vegan/Raw Foods: Good Life Cafe
Italian: Villa Tronco or Divino
Syrian: Al Amir
Greek: Devine Foods (hole in the wall, but good)
Cajun: Bourbon
Eclectic: Motor Supply Co. Bistro
Tapas: Gervais and Vine
Desert: Nonnah's
Lunch: The Gourmet Shop, Crepes and Croissants, DiPrato's
Old 08-19-2014, 08:55 PM   #90
HeadCockFan
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

^solid list
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:53 PM   #91
bryarx
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1974
bryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot material
Default Really excited to visit the other Columbia!

That is a solid list, though I'd put Mai Thai in there, and (you will wait for them to cook the food) behind it.

Funny, the most "iconic" place in Columbia is in west Columbia, under the giant cone. I would tell someone from out of town to eat there for sure. At that specific zestos. No one has mentioned rosewood diary bar. I've heard great things about the kraken, but haven't been yet. I'm going to look over the guys list that gives respect to golden chip stixx, cause that place is good. I like that everyone hasn't said blue marlin, but I disagree with so much love for pawleys.

Pizza: Dano's if I had to pick a place
BBQ: true BBQ (best meat, sides could be better)
Fried chicken: zestos
Greek: Grecian gardens
Burgers: 2108 state bar and grill (seriously, mind blowing)
Thai: Mai Thai
Mexican: real Mexico or Cecilia's (more towards irmo than Columbia)

Honorable mention:
Al's Upstairs
Cafe strudel
J gumbo
Harper's
California dreaming
Grouchos (in 5 points, I'm an Apollo fan)
Devine foods
DiPratos
bryarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:43 AM   #92
TastyLicks
Walk On

Female

CockyCash: 1112962
TastyLicks is crowing loudlyTastyLicks is crowing loudlyTastyLicks is crowing loudlyTastyLicks is crowing loudlyTastyLicks is crowing loudlyTastyLicks is crowing loudlyTastyLicks is crowing loudlyTastyLicks is crowing loudlyTastyLicks is crowing loudlyTastyLicks is crowing loudlyTastyLicks is crowing loudly

Not knocking Columbia, or the south - because I already said how much I loved the food there in general!!! but I got to say maybe it's because I am a New York, now Baltimore girl, but I never found one good place for pizza, wings or sub sandwiches in all of my time in Columbia... pizza especially.

There are great places to eat though and a lot of good suggestions here. Hunter Gatherer might be my all-time favorite place for dinner and drinks anywhere I've been to. I just didn't suggest it earlier because the OP has kids, Idk maybe it would be okay with kids if you got there early.
TastyLicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:45 AM   #93
SECgamecock453
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 15800
SECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPit
Send a message via AIM to SECgamecock453

Dano's Pizza on Rosewood, Pizza Palace further out down Leesburg Rd. For a chain Mellow Mushroom isn't bad, and Village Idiot is pretty good too.

SECgamecock453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:11 AM   #94
ACPhilson
Really hates Orange Teams

Male

CockyCash: 1000200
ACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot material

McDonald's on Decker Blvd or Rosewood. Hell, and McDonalds would work. Its where everyone seems to eat these days...good burgers. Try the Happy Meal #2.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:34 PM   #95
GSC2013
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
GSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudly

Awesome!

Weather in Folly (Charleston) in late September will still be hot. Summer temps. High 80's, low 90's, so assume summertime weather. The beach is great you'll love it. If you get time, there is a place called the Crab House on Folly Beach, across the street from the lawyers officer with the giant shark head on it (Seriously, you'll see it, cant drive into Folly without passing it). GO EAT THERE, its so good.
GSC2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:07 PM   #96
Cockhornleghorn
Household Name

Male

I thought Dano's closed.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:15 PM   #97
BlueHerons
4-Star

Female

CockyCash: 500
BlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his comb

I always forget about Al's Upstairs and Devine Foods! Devine is some really good Greek!

Motor Supply has been one of my favorite restaurants anywhere for years.

Lastly, when you see a Bojangles, DO NOT drive by. Stop, U-turn, whatever you must and drive through for a spicy chicken biscuit and a sweet tea.

Living in Florida, the closest Bojangles is Orlando and I'd sell one of my siblings for one of their chicken biscuits.
BlueHerons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:49 PM   #98
Latti2001
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 1700
Latti2001 has earned his spursLatti2001 has earned his spursLatti2001 has earned his spursLatti2001 has earned his spursLatti2001 has earned his spursLatti2001 has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockhornleghorn View Post
Here are my restaurant recommendations:

Sushi: Camon or Saki Tumi
Asian Fusion: M Vista or M Grille
Seafood: Blue Marlin
Korean: Blue Cactus or O-Bok
Vietnamese: Golden Chopstix
Thai: Baan Sawan
Burgers and fries: Yesterday's
Continental/French influenced: Hampton Street Vineyard
Vegan/Raw Foods: Good Life Cafe
Italian: Villa Tronco or Divino
Syrian: Al Amir
Greek: Devine Foods (hole in the wall, but good)
Cajun: Bourbon
Eclectic: Motor Supply Co. Bistro
Tapas: Gervais and Vine
Desert: Nonnah's
Lunch: The Gourmet Shop, Crepes and Croissants, DiPrato's
This right here!

Whoever thinks taco sushi is good food is absolutely crazy!
Latti2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 01:20 AM   #99
bryarx
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1974
bryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockhornleghorn View Post
I thought Dano's closed.

Dano's is on rosewood where the old timey meat market was. Old timey meat market is further down where a gym used to be I think.
bryarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:19 AM   #100
Cockhornleghorn
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryarx View Post
Dano's is on rosewood where the old timey meat market was. Old timey meat market is further down where a gym used to be I think.
Oh ok, they moved. They used to be in a strip center.