CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
Regalcock
Cockypantherfan
PageUSC
ACPhilson
The Yancey
KaneisAble
gadeneer1986
taylorssc
SCohioBoy
HBC Weekly Presser (2106)
Thompson Has Neck In (1508)
Mizzou's 30sec touch (1065)
4th & 1 Play (934)
Kentucky prediction (637)
Just Booked my Hotel (546)
So What? (478)
Bad Week For Upstate (354)
Jeopardy: USC and th (275)
Travis Bell's Photos (222)
Best position coach or co
What fish do you eat
2016 - Tavien Feaster
Just Booked my Hotel for
Kentucky prediction
State talent drying up
Cleaned up version: SEC E
Really excited to visit t
QB Recruiting Strategy
Zone Read Analysis w/ 201

Old 08-19-2014, 03:50 PM   #121
YouCanNeverTell
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
YouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot material
Default Re: QB Kenny Hill named starting QB for TAMU

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan_aggie View Post
Help me out as I don't know as much about defense formations. There is a 4-2-5, where you have 2 LB, and FS, SS, Nickle, and 2 corner?

The 4-3-4 is 4 DL, 3 LB, and SS, FS, 2 corner?

And 3-3-5 is 3 DL, 3 LB, and SS, FS, Nickle, and 2 corner?

If we play 4 WR sets and spread out, would a 4-2-5 open up the middle a little bit if we decide to run the hell out of the ball while nursing along an inexperienced QB?
What you're describing isn't a 4-2-5 but a nickel package which has 3 CBs. The 4-2-5 we run has a hybrid LB/Safety position we call the Spur position. We have defended the middle run fairly well. We actually struggled more against outside runs last year. With our lack of depth and inexperience at corner I think that'll be your best place to attack.
YouCanNeverTell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:45 PM   #122
Aggie96
Resident Aggie

Male

Aggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouCanNeverTell View Post
What you're describing isn't a 4-2-5 but a nickel package which has 3 CBs. The 4-2-5 we run has a hybrid LB/Safety position we call the Spur position. We have defended the middle run fairly well. We actually struggled more against outside runs last year. With our lack of depth and inexperience at corner I think that'll be your best place to attack.
The hardest part for USC defensively is going to be the uptempo and not being able make substitutions as we move back and forth from spreading the field with 4 or 5 wide right to a power formation with 6'5" 280 lb Cam Clear moving in as a lead blocking back and 6'6" RSJ moving in at tight end (where a lot of people think he should play anyway) creating mismatches all over the place.

I Expect to see that often. Makes it easy to do when your receivers are fast enough to be receivers, but big enough to be tight ends and fullbacks.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:58 PM   #123
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie96 View Post
The hardest part for USC defensively is going to be the uptempo and not being able make substitutions as we move back and forth from spreading the field with 4 or 5 wide right to a power formation with 6'5" 280 lb Cam Clear moving in as a lead blocking back and 6'6" RSJ moving in at tight end (where a lot of people think he should play anyway) creating mismatches all over the place.

I Expect to see that often. Makes it easy to do when your receivers are fast enough to be receivers, but big enough to be tight ends and fullbacks.
Sounds like the same talk North Carolina was yabbing about this time last year. No offense. We've played tempo offense teams before. I don't remember losing to any of them recently though.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:38 PM   #124
carolina_corpsman
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
carolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudly

An up tempo offense is useless when it's sitting on the bench. When you already have a suspect defense you want to keep them off the field. Spurrier will hopefully grind away with long demoralizing drives. A&M will score quickly or punt putting an already tired D back on the field for another long grinding drive.
carolina_corpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:45 PM   #125
Aggie96
Resident Aggie

Male

Aggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
Sounds like the same talk North Carolina was yabbing about this time last year. No offense. We've played tempo offense teams before. I don't remember losing to any of them recently though.
The point here is not just the uptempo pace, but the personnel that are moving around in there without having to substitute. We can move from a power I tight set to a 5 wide and run it very effectively without having to change anyone. That was something that Carolina couldn't do as effective as we will.

Multiple looks with Same people = sleepless nights for DC's who have to prepare for it.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:30 PM   #126
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Quote:
The point here is not just the uptempo pace, but the personnel that are moving around in there without having to substitute. We can move from a power I tight set to a 5 wide and run it very effectively without having to change anyone. That was something that Carolina couldn't do as effective as we will.

Multiple looks with Same people = sleepless nights for DC's who have to prepare for it.
Color me skeptical of you switching between a 5 wide set and power I with the same personnel. One of those sets is not going to be effective.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:22 AM   #127
Aggie96
Resident Aggie

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post
Color me skeptical of you switching between a 5 wide set and power I with the same personnel. One of those sets is not going to be effective.
I have looked over and over thru the Crayola 128 pack and can't find that color...

The size and speed of Clear and RSJ make that possible with the speed of Trey Williams or Brandon Williams as the RB who can also line up as a receiver in the 5 wide.

Keep an eye out on it, I bet it happens more than once.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:33 AM   #128
GarnetSwarm1990
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 738
GarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post
I kinda have to agree. Simply because ya'll have been bragging about all your stud wideouts yet you're going to run a lot of packages where your running back is split out wide just to not substitute so we don't get to as well? Specially when Carson and Williams had a combined 13 catches last year. I'm not really buying it either
GarnetSwarm1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 01:58 AM   #129
JoeMorrisonLives
Blue Chip

Male

JoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spurs

Quote:

Wow, if only we had a hybrid safety/linebacker and true LB's that were good in pass coverage and ball hawks in a defensive scheme that is designed to beat pass-happy hurry-up teams and incorporates a healthy dose of zone blitzes and man to man that has traditionally proven effective against HUNH teams with multiple sets when coupled with a clock-control offense.
JoeMorrisonLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:06 AM   #130
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 89095
CockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPit

Quote:

Ward will sleep this ain't Seattle!
THE University of SOUTH CAROLINA!

CockyLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:07 AM   #131
BornAggie22
Walk On

Male

BornAggie22 has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetSwarm1990 View Post
I kinda have to agree. Simply because ya'll have been bragging about all your stud wideouts yet you're going to run a lot of packages where your running back is split out wide just to not substitute so we don't get to as well? Specially when Carson and Williams had a combined 13 catches last year. I'm not really buying it either
Our RB Coach was calling the plays for all but the duke game last season. and ironically he didnt use the backs much, or the TE clear....

Our QB Coach who replaced Kliff is calling the plays and he "wants to get everyone involved."

also our backs have spent some practices's with the receivers so be ready for that. our offensive play calls will be A LOT different than last year.
BornAggie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:07 AM   #132
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPit

Who is the Jenny Mills chick that will be quarterbacking for AnM?

Old 08-20-2014, 02:10 AM   #133
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornAggie22 View Post
Our RB Coach was calling the plays for all but the duke game last season. and ironically he didnt use the backs much, or the TE clear....

Our QB Coach who replaced Kliff is calling the plays and he "wants to get everyone involved."

also our backs have spent some practices's with the receivers so be ready for that. our offensive play calls will be A LOT different than last year.
So you are saying your Running backs can catch the football?
Never seen that before.

Old 08-20-2014, 03:11 AM   #134
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:

We're an SEC defense. We're not going to put a bunch of tiny corners out there just because you want to go spread. We have physical safeties and line backers that can cover and play the run. We have a lot of slashers and they are opportunistic. With the crowd noise, it's not going to be easy for your inexperienced QB to execute to take advantage of any matchups you think are in your favor. We're going bring linebackers often to pressure your QB and plan on making him very uncomfortable back there. If you want to do the powerrun switcheroo we'll be ready. If you think one 280lb blocker is going to be your trump card, good luck. As big as he is, we plenty on defense fast enough to go around him.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:49 AM   #135
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Both of our tight ends are just as good as what A&M has at that position. Your tight end is not anything special in the SEC. Just about all SEC teams have a great player at that position. You should save it for your noncon opponents.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:08 AM   #136
StretfordEnd
TURNT UP IN SECTION 18

Male

StretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his comb

Quote:
+1

We shut down Clemson and Mizzou. I respect our opponent, but I'm not scared of what A&M brings to the table.
StretfordEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:33 AM   #137
SCohioBoy
Game MVP

Male

SCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPit

I can't wait for next Friday! This place will be cleaned up of these aggies!

It should be a good game, but Carolina will win by 14+

Last edited by SCohioBoy; 08-20-2014 at 08:57 AM.
SCohioBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:10 AM   #138
ChickenButt
Recruit

Male

ChickenButt has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Pretty sure Klemz'n runs an up-tempo offense. Haven't scored more than 17 against us in the last 5 years.
ChickenButt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:39 AM   #139
drumboy
Walk On

Male

drumboy has earned his spursdrumboy has earned his spursdrumboy has earned his spursdrumboy has earned his spursdrumboy has earned his spursdrumboy has earned his spursdrumboy has earned his spurs

In fact, Thompson controlled the ball for 40 minutes against Clemson in 2012. I think we had something like 65 plays. If he can do it at Clemson, I'm fairly certain that he can do it at WBS.
drumboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:41 AM   #140
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

Quote:
how often did you guys do that last year? since rsj went down with a knee injury early on. anytime a team can go multiple sets out of the same personnel it can be problematic, but we'll roll with our base personnel no matter what because its what we do even when we face teams that huddle save for maybe a power running team in an extreme short yardage situation.
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote