CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler > Carolina Eats

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
GarnetSwarm1990
kingofnerf
NinjaSven
Jim Lahey
Storm Of Spurs
roosterdude21
Sandstorm29
Gamecocks1137
MWard
robgusc76
Wilds & Carson B (2477)
Marquavius Lewis (2382)
So, why is next year (2257)
How Long Will The Re (1385)
Restaurant musts in (1053)
Why do so many of yo (964)
Schuyler Rimmer 6'10 (802)
Shot in the arm for (794)
Custom Jersey (416)
5 Gourmet Foods That (277)
2015 Commitment - Dante S
How Long Will The Rebuild
2015 Signee - Sherrod Pit
Further clarification on
Marquavius Lewis
Why do so many of you guy
The Vent and Coaching cha
Previewing Clemson
2015 - Mark Fields
2015 - Cedarius Rookard

Old 07-22-2014, 11:09 AM   #21
ccured
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 4058916
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material
Default Re: Asheville/Spartanburg eats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arm Chair QB View Post
The BEACON is nasty from top to bottom and the food is awful. 30 years go it was better.
It is all about the experience. I have been once. Maybe 5 years ago. I was amazed that dhec let them operate in that kitchen. It was disgusting. If what I could see was that bad how bad was what the customer couldn't
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 01:14 PM   #22
SterlingBrooks
Lock Down Corner

Male

CockyCash: 180386
SterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot material

Pig out and Limons is the right call. Nothing against Tupelo Honey but I try to avoid chains when I am traveling.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:06 PM   #23
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 113554578
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry_gamecock View Post
I second this post. Cribbs has great burgers. Wade's is a great home cooking joint…kid friendly and a Spartanburg hallmark.
I like Cribbs also but I was reading to see if anyone put down Wades. Good eatin there and cheaper.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:36 PM   #24
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

CockyCash: 997672
gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regalcock View Post
I like Cribbs also but I was reading to see if anyone put down Wades. Good eatin there and cheaper.
Wades was much better 20 years ago. Most everything now is frozen and tastes like it came through a distribution center. Notice all the refrigerated container trucks in the parking lot now. If you like CRIBBS, check out Willy Tacos on east main. Same owners but this one is tex mex style. Very good tacos and very affordable. Cool place too.
gamecock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:43 PM   #25
Clemsux182
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 450
Clemsux182 has feathers coming inClemsux182 has feathers coming inClemsux182 has feathers coming in

Would recommend reservations for any of the nicer dinner places (limones, curate, Zambra, Storm, Bandidos are some of my favorites). If u go to tupelo def go to south location. It is kind of a tourist place, albeit a good one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Clemsux182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:33 AM   #26
pitchcock
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 29792600
pitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot material

Another vote for Tupelo Honey.

If you like German food, there's a place about 15 minutes from Biltmore, Black Forest (if I remember correctly), good place to go.

Zambra's is also good, but maybe not with a 2 year old.
pitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:02 AM   #27
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

I also want to try Tupelo Honey, but I always talk myself out of it when I am travelling bc there are like 8 of them. Menu looks great though.
Cock Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:12 AM   #28
bullardt
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 550
bullardt is crowing loudlybullardt is crowing loudlybullardt is crowing loudlybullardt is crowing loudlybullardt is crowing loudlybullardt is crowing loudlybullardt is crowing loudlybullardt is crowing loudlybullardt is crowing loudlybullardt is crowing loudlybullardt is crowing loudly

Went to Corner Kitchen this week while up there for work. Great recommendation! Excellent food and staff. They have a rotating menu, so not sure if it will be there for others, but the meat loaf did not disappoint! Had that with cheddar grits and awesome collards. Will go back again.
bullardt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 04:39 PM   #29
thekob
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100700
thekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot material

Just wanted to say thanks for all the recommendations. We ended up hitting Panera on the way up and on the way back (quck and knew the kid would like it). We did go to White Duck Taco Shop for lunch and had a bunch of different tacos. The wife's favorite was the mole duck taco which was really good. I liked the bulgogi taco. We then hit up Tupelo Honey Grill for dinner which was really good. I had nutty fried chicken (diced peanuts in the batter). Going to have to make the mashed sweet potatoes from there (have maple syrup in them....with my parents living in Vermont and constantly bringing down maple syrup, I have no idea why this didn't occur to me sooner). The wife was still full from lunch so she had a veggie plate which was good. We hit CinnTom(I think that's the name of it) custard shop which was right near Tupelo Honey and ate butter brickle outside on the deck. The weather at that point had cooled off and was pretty perfect.

Plus we made it to the semifinals before loosing to the Asheville Men's Lacrosse Club. Those chodes flopped so much they must've watched the World Cup in slo-mo.

At any rate, thanks for all the tips. Looking forward to hitting yall up for Greenville suggestions, since we've got a tourny up there near the end of August.
thekob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 01:06 PM   #30
Gamecocktuck
Old-Timer

Male

CockyCash: 717
Gamecocktuck is sharpening his clawsGamecocktuck is sharpening his clawsGamecocktuck is sharpening his clawsGamecocktuck is sharpening his clawsGamecocktuck is sharpening his claws

Obviously I'm late to this party.....but want to put in my two cents. 100% agree on Ike's --- it's the best burger in the upstate hands down. Beacon is awful. I would also recommend for dinner, the Caro-Mi just outside of Tryon. You'll need a reservation, not really that pricey but it is popular. This is country dinner with the sides served family style (pass around the table).
http://www.caro-mi.com/home.html
Old 08-20-2014, 01:52 PM   #31
Rooster2007
2 deep

Male

CockyCash: 1450
Rooster2007 has feathers coming inRooster2007 has feathers coming inRooster2007 has feathers coming in

I'm too late as well, but The Peddler in downtown Spartanburg is a great steak house. They bring the meat out to your table and you can tell them how thick you want it cut.
Rooster2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:07 PM   #32
Take-a-Knee
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 10000
Take-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot material

I love The Beacons double chili cheese with sliced onion and tomato ..
Take-a-Knee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 12:53 AM   #33
highstick
4-Star

Male

highstick has earned his spurshighstick has earned his spurshighstick has earned his spurshighstick has earned his spurshighstick has earned his spurshighstick has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arm Chair QB View Post
The BEACON is nasty from top to bottom and the food is awful. 30 years go it was better.
I have to agree. Stopped there for the first time last week and had "the runs" for 2 days.
highstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 05:15 PM   #34
DBjr
Recruit

Male

DBjr is sharpening his clawsDBjr is sharpening his clawsDBjr is sharpening his clawsDBjr is sharpening his claws
Wink Re: Asheville/Spartanburg eats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by highstick View Post
I have to agree. Stopped there for the first time last week and had "the runs" for 2 days.

greasy food.................does it every time! lol!
ive always said to my friends,if you eat at certain places,its an eat and go straight home kinda place! lol! this fits in that category.
DBjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 07:39 PM   #35
snruter amabon
Blue Chip

Male

snruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot material

Two suggestions for you

1. The Brick in Columbus, just north of the SC/NC border has darn good pizza
2. Reagan's Short Stop 7221 Hwy 9. Seriously I think they have the best slaw dog I have ever put into my blow hole. Good stuff my friend.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:34 PM   #36
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

CockyCash: 840000
usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to usc90grad

Nine Mile....hole in the wall with great Caribbean food in Asheville. Jerk chicken is excellent and can't beat the prices.

Vinnie's Italian...also in Asheville. Authentic Italian food, great atmosphere and staff

Tupelo Honey Cafe...has been in Asheville for years and never disappoints. Their fried okra alone is worth the trip.

We hit all three of these this weekend and I would highly recommend each one.