CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
gamecock88
Dietz
zcoop
GregoryHouse
Yearofthegamecock
Jdallen20
4gamecockfb
roosterdude21
CockyLifer
Badazcock
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (28057)
ESPN Game Day Commen (2231)
Simple "yes&quo (1575)
We actually didnt lo (1387)
Phil Steele just pre (1253)
what I think ab ward (1142)
Extremely Proud (1042)
Eat Crow (1033)
Garcia: Change the R (800)
I want people to exp (758)
I want people to explain
We actually didnt lose
**USC vs. Auburn GAME Thr
Stop bashing Dylan
BAW
Extremely Proud
Defense question
Who start on the d line t
Eat Crow
what I think ab ward

Old 08-19-2014, 09:24 AM   #1301
boness
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
boness has feathers coming inboness has feathers coming inboness has feathers coming in
Default Re: Discussion: 2015 Recruiting Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
all very good questions....none of which I have an answer for....if you look at the first sentence in my post, if the coaches feel they have a reasonable chance to get a really good player later on, I think they only accept the commit of DJ Jones at this point and hold the other couple of places for better players that may not decide until later. Plus suppose we don't get Smalls or Blue, then we can take Jones and a DB and still have a couple of spots for others. I say all this under the assumption we have 8 EE.....if we only have 7 EE, then our max class can only be 32. At this point we only have 5 EE for sure.....Lewis, Palmer, Durant, Clark, Alexander.....add Wideman and Smalls if they both are eligible to enroll in January)....that's 7.....then Jones would be 8.
I have noticed several programs pursuit early HS grad EEs with far more gusto and/or success than do we. Given the consistency of this practice for some programs it strikes me as more likely intentional priority in thier recruiting plan of attack vs dumb luck. Do you know why it isn't a consistently higher priority and/or accomplishment for our staff? Is thier some specific factor(s) in the SC recruiting plan that is counter active to gaining early HS grad committments? What changes would be required in our recruiting tact to make this an improved, even significant factor ongoing? thanks WVP
boness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:19 AM   #1302
thekob
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 100700
thekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by boness View Post
I have noticed several programs pursuit early HS grad EEs with far more gusto and/or success than do we. Given the consistency of this practice for some programs it strikes me as more likely intentional priority in thier recruiting plan of attack vs dumb luck. Do you know why it isn't a consistently higher priority and/or accomplishment for our staff? Is thier some specific factor(s) in the SC recruiting plan that is counter active to gaining early HS grad committments? What changes would be required in our recruiting tact to make this an improved, even significant factor ongoing? thanks WVP
I'm just guessing, but I figure we know who we want and we know who's interested in us....those are our recruits. I figure if we have any recruits that might be able to be an EE that'd be great, but I don't think that actually being an EE figures all that much into who we recruit recently, probably due to not being able to take as many guys in each class and the scholarship reduction. This is the first year in awhile it's played a big part (as I understand it) due to us coming off the penalties and having a good and surprising amount of guys not get it. They start recruiting guys in freshman year in HS, but we don't know how many EE's we can count back until after we figure out who gets in, so it's probably not as flexible since if someone's been recruited for 3 years it'd take a lot to get them interested if they're not already and on top of that trying to get them as an EE.
thekob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 02:01 PM   #1303
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

Talent > EE

We won't actively pursue someone because he is an EE but it is an added bonus.

We could have up to 8 this year which is great
Old 08-19-2014, 05:40 PM   #1304
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
The only answer I can give you is there is still a hard cap of 85 schollies maximum......so depending on each school's numbers, they will always be limited with that. And they are limited to 25 per year plus any spots not filled the previous year. For example, let's say we get 33 for 2015 and there is no attrition. The most we could take next year is 25 subject to the maximum of 85. A school can have their whole class of EE if they want, but the same limitations apply. Another very good reason to have a lot of EE is they can go through spring practice and be much more ready to play in the fall.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:22 AM   #1305
Storm Of Spurs
Blue Chip

Male

Storm Of Spurs rules the CockPitStorm Of Spurs rules the CockPitStorm Of Spurs rules the CockPitStorm Of Spurs rules the CockPitStorm Of Spurs rules the CockPitStorm Of Spurs rules the CockPitStorm Of Spurs rules the CockPitStorm Of Spurs rules the CockPitStorm Of Spurs rules the CockPitStorm Of Spurs rules the CockPitStorm Of Spurs rules the CockPit

May want to reopen the Rashard Causey thread. Not real sure why threads get closed to begin with but whatever.

Quote:
He [Causey] named USC, Florida Atlantic and Miami as his top three schools in no order. Causey plans to take official visits to each naming Wisconsin and Michigan as possible destinations for his final two. When asked if USC had a chance to flip his commitment, he responded, "Very much so."
http://www.goupstate.com/article/201...573/-1/PSPORTS
Old 08-20-2014, 04:49 AM   #1306
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 71443
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormOfTalons View Post
May want to reopen the Rashard Causey thread. Not real sure why threads get closed to begin with but whatever.

http://www.goupstate.com/article/201...573/-1/PSPORTS
Usually if a recruit commits to another program, C2 locks the thread. More than anything I think to prevent the threads from getting hijacked by posters wanting to vent sour grapes, or start posting about how the prospect wasn't as good as this other one or that other one, etc. And USC doesn't make a huge effort to keep going after prospects that commit elsewhere unless those prospects give their USC recruiter reason to believe that USC is still in the race. Once news gets out that we are, C2 usually re-opens the threads back up for new discussion....
ConwayGamecock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:53 AM   #1307
Storm Of Spurs
Blue Chip

Male

Storm Of Spurs rules the CockPitStorm Of Spurs rules the CockPitStorm Of Spurs rules the CockPitStorm Of Spurs rules the CockPitStorm Of Spurs rules the CockPitStorm Of Spurs rules the CockPitStorm Of Spurs rules the CockPitStorm Of Spurs rules the CockPitStorm Of Spurs rules the CockPitStorm Of Spurs rules the CockPitStorm Of Spurs rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock View Post
Usually if a recruit commits to another program, C2 locks the thread. More than anything I think to prevent the threads from getting hijacked by posters wanting to vent sour grapes, or start posting about how the prospect wasn't as good as this other one or that other one, etc. And USC doesn't make a huge effort to keep going after prospects that commit elsewhere unless those prospects give their USC recruiter reason to believe that USC is still in the race. Once news gets out that we are, C2 usually re-opens the threads back up for new discussion....
Thanks for the explanation.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:16 AM   #1308
kabercr2
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
kabercr2 is sharpening his clawskabercr2 is sharpening his clawskabercr2 is sharpening his clawskabercr2 is sharpening his clawskabercr2 is sharpening his claws

Anybody have some insight on the rivals re rankings, noticed Clemson gained a five start.
kabercr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:45 AM   #1309
carolinafan53186
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

carolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabercr2 View Post
Anybody have some insight on the rivals re rankings, noticed Clemson gained a five start.
It's called the Chris ard effect.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:44 PM   #1310
cockybreeyan
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit

Quote:
Clemson had three of the biggest risers out of anyone.

Blackshear had just about the largest drop, to boot.
cockybreeyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 01:02 PM   #1311
kabercr2
Blue Chip

Male

kabercr2 is sharpening his clawskabercr2 is sharpening his clawskabercr2 is sharpening his clawskabercr2 is sharpening his clawskabercr2 is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockybreeyan View Post

Does Blackshear just not participate in any camps? Any idea if Fields moved up any?
Old 08-20-2014, 01:10 PM   #1312
GarnetInChicago
シカゴのカキ

Male

CockyCash: 45500347
GarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot material

Quote:
Does Blackshear just not participate in any camps? Any idea if Fields moved up any?
Fields moved down. He was at #92 as of the Feb. 2014 rankings. Now he's #109. Sorry I don't have any data on the rankings in between.
GarnetInChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 01:18 PM   #1313
kabercr2
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetInChicago View Post
Fields moved down. He was at #92 as of the Feb. 2014 rankings. Now he's #109. Sorry I don't have any data on the rankings in between.
Dang some on here thought Fields was possibly going to a 5 star.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:23 PM   #1314
treys1986
1st Team All-SEC

Male

treys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot material

All of our guys in the Rivals 250 but 1, Nunez I believe, dropped in the rankings.
treys1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 01:33 PM   #1315
boness
4-Star

Male

boness has feathers coming inboness has feathers coming inboness has feathers coming in

Quote:

to be fair I haven't read of any camps in which he may have participated, maybe you have. Last I read he is recuping from a series of injuries both during and following last season. someone can confirm or correct. the others I have no idea for the group drop, almost gives weight to the charge of conspiring :) WVP
boness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:39 PM   #1316
cockybreeyan
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit

Quote:
Dang some on here thought Fields was possibly going to a 5 star.
everybody on here always thinks our guys will move up
Old 08-20-2014, 02:41 PM   #1317
jrussjr
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 0
jrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by treys1986 View Post
All of our guys in the Rivals 250 but 1, Nunez I believe, dropped in the rankings.
This was expected, right? At least we see a consistent pattern. However, I see that pattern changing after this season...JS
jrussjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:34 PM   #1318
cockybreeyan
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
to be fair I haven't read of any camps in which he may have participated, maybe you have. Last I read he is recuping from a series of injuries both during and following last season. someone can confirm or correct. the others I have no idea for the group drop, almost gives weight to the charge of conspiring :) WVP
Nah you are spot on, he has been/was hurt (from what I know) and didn't attend camps. That's where you rise. Nothing surprising really.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:59 AM   #1319
thekob
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 100700
thekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot material

Quote:
Nah you are spot on, he has been/was hurt (from what I know) and didn't attend camps. That's where you rise. Nothing surprising really.
For these camps does the recruit pay to attend them?

If they're committed and secure in that then there's no reason to go to camps. I'd think camps were primarily for the purpose of getting noticed by colleges, and going to colleges and camping there (once invited) would be a better option vs. recruiting service camps.
thekob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:03 PM   #1320
cockybreeyan
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekob View Post
For these camps does the recruit pay to attend them?

If they're committed and secure in that then there's no reason to go to camps. I'd think camps were primarily for the purpose of getting noticed by colleges, and going to colleges and camping there (once invited) would be a better option vs. recruiting service camps.
There's absolutely reason to go to these camps. It's like AAU basketball. Play against the best, get better against the best, get used to speed of the college game, etc. It's a HUGE benefit to go to camps