CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ucan'tlickourcocks
NAGamecockFan
kingofnerf
BigRedCock
El Cid Ranger
robgusc76
NinjaSven
Gamecockswag
TAFC 5 1981
cockybreeyan
Freshman ND WR " (717)
Call of Duty: Advanc (495)
Good Riddance to bad (410)
Keeping tailgate foo (295)
NCAAF: SOUTH CAROLIN (260)
An A to Z of Noah We (177)
The Comeback & T (146)
NCAAF: MISSISSIPPI S (70)
NCAAF: SOUTHERN CAL (68)
NCAAF: MICHIGAN @ MI (67)
Texas athletic director:
Why I think we beat Aubur
Wallpaper & Backgroun
Bashing Players, coaches,
Ranking Top HC jobs in SE
SEC Debate: Best candidat
2015 Commitment - Sherrod
Rank the QBs under Spurri
Rest of the season predic
So Disappointed With The

Old 08-20-2014, 12:31 PM   #81
Aggie96
Resident Aggie

Male

CockyCash: 200
Aggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudly
Default Re: Vote for Browns starting QB - Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyLifer View Post
It was this guy^ Didn't say you but it's likely your guilty conscience that made you bark at my post you told on yourself.
Since you posted directly after mine, it only made sense. There is this really neat "quote" feature you guys have, would have made it a lot more clear if you used it...
Old 08-20-2014, 12:41 PM   #82
Aggie96
Resident Aggie

Male

CockyCash: 200
Aggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetmike View Post
Aggie...you've gained some credibility around here with many of your posts, but you're quickly losing a lot of it with this "take" on Connor. Much like Gamecock fans couldn't possibly (ever) understand or appreciate JF the way you guys do - you could not understand what we saw in Connor every time he stepped on a field.

Personally I think there's a LOT of similarities in the two QBs and to be honest I am not certain that JF is truly a "STANDARD" NFL talent QB. The right team, the right offense...I think he will do fine in the long run.

The same can be said for Shaw. However the one thing that I think is undeniable is the fact that Manziel is a VERY immature, disrespectful BOY who exhibits an entitlement mentality that seems destined to prevent him from ever being successful in the NFL for a decade or more.

Hell even the Cleveland fanbase voted him THIRD to start the next game. They voted Hoyer second and Shaw a whopping 70%. That tells me that their fan base has already grown tired of his "above it all" mindset and demeanor.

So I wouldn't be too certain about Johnny in the NFL long term. Based on his lifestyle choices before ever getting to Cleveland (rolling up twenties in the bathroom), getting plastered at every turn and hanging with the wonderful crowd he's hanging with (Bieber, etc) - it's only a matter of time before he'll fail a drug test or two.

Would it SURPRISE ANYONE if it came out tomorrow that he'd failed a drug test? Hell no. Also, he probably can't handle the kind of performance that he had Monday night mentally. I can see those kinds of performance doing a number on him.

How about if he performs poorly at this next game in Cleveland? How about if the fans boo him? Can you see JF flipping THEM the bird? I can.

I think there's a good chance that JF won't even be around in 4-5 years.

That said - Connor may not either, but right now I'd say the odds are about the same for both QBs despite all the talk of how talented JF is.

Personally I think most coaches would tell you that they'd take five Connor Shaw's for a Johnny Football any day of the week.

We'll see how it all plays out. My money is on Shaw.
I have not said that Shaw can't make it in he NFL... I think he can and to your point, right team, right scheme could be good for both. I don't think either is in a situation where they are right scheme right now. I don't know about Connor honestly, I have seen limited work in college and the 10 throws in the pros. He looked pretty good in those passes, but he wasn't looking like someone going to set the world on fire either. JFF can't and won't fit into the standard NFL mold. If you want him to do well (and you would think since Cleveland is paying him Millions they would want that) you have to change your system to fit him, just like Sumlin did.

I have said it many times and will again, I think Shaw is a good person and I hope he finds a home somewhere in the NFL. Hell I have even said I wanted him to get a shot. He got it and he didn't blow it.

At this point though JFF played better than Hoyer in the two games and Hoyer still got the nod and I don't know what that means for Shaw. I predicted Hoyer wipuld get the nod and still am happy he has to deal with their first 4 games. I see him getting replaced by Manziel after the bye though...

I completely get backing "your guy" I really do, can you see the value in us backing ours?
Old 08-20-2014, 04:37 PM   #83
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie96 View Post
I never said that he is not NFL talent or that he couldn't find a spot somewhere. I have said many times I hope he gets a shot and I like seeing good things happen to good people, but I am saying that you can't base him being ready to be a starter in one game while playing with the 3's and 4's
Somewhat of a straw man argument. The vast majority of Carolina fans are talking about starting him in preseason and giving him an equal chance to prove himself at camp in terms of reps. We aren't saying Connor should start week 1 of the regular season, we are saying he deserves a shot to outperform these other two. So far, he has.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:35 PM   #84
Lonnie
Band

Male

Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie96 View Post
At this point though JFF played better than Hoyer in the two games and Hoyer still got the nod
It's not Johnny on the field. It's Johnny off the field...

"Johnny Versus the Playbook" the playbook is winning..."

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:24 PM   #85
BiscoCocky
Banned

Male

BiscoCocky is making other chickens nervousBiscoCocky is making other chickens nervousBiscoCocky is making other chickens nervousBiscoCocky is making other chickens nervousBiscoCocky is making other chickens nervousBiscoCocky is making other chickens nervousBiscoCocky is making other chickens nervous

Jason Whitlock on PTI " They need to think about starting Connor Shaw, he looks like the only real QB they got."
BiscoCocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:47 PM   #86
kingofnerf
4-Star

Male

kingofnerf has earned his spurskingofnerf has earned his spurskingofnerf has earned his spurskingofnerf has earned his spurskingofnerf has earned his spurskingofnerf has earned his spurs

Connor's leadership abilities will rise to the top in the end and he will be the starter.
kingofnerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:10 PM   #87
MDCox
Two Deep

Male

Bowl Contest Winner: Winner of the Bowl Contest - Given for: Winning the Board Bowl Contest 
CockyCash: 1740616
MDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudly

It's like 77% now Connor Shaw.

If you type in all caps I am not reading your post. Simple as that.
MDCox is offline   Reply With Quote