CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
catdaddy66
GregoryHouse
JaxcockFL
doubledribble
SMOTFS86
Cockhornleghorn
B-G
Regalcock
JerseyBird
2014 Subway Classic: (2117)
Props to Eric Hyman. (1612)
Former Gamecock root (1454)
Franks boy's are pla (1312)
Garcia and Clemsux T (787)
Has the window close (661)
Shrine Bowl on ESPNu (595)
Bruce!!! (589)
Kentucky is dominati (566)
Question for those w (471)
BEST GAMECOCK FOOTBALL PL
**USC vs. Clemson GAME Th
Decommitment from Texas A
UFC Fight Night 58: Lyota
Has the window closed for
The Vent and Coaching cha
Bruce!!!
Franks boy's are playing
2015 - Eurndraus Bryant
Question for those who ha

Old 08-21-2014, 03:22 PM   #61
StoutAg
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
StoutAg has hatched from the shell
Default Re: TAMU Starting CB Out For USC Game

Bisco, I think what people are saying is that when Sumlin came aboard, with the exception of a few pieces, we really had no depth. Now a few years of solid recruiting into it, we have some depth and the ability to replace pieces. Recruiting classes before '11 are irrelevant because we had a different coach and different system. Most Aggies think Kevin Sumlin is a good coach - I'm one of them. Does he have Spurrier's track record? No. That doesn't mean he can't coach, though. Recruiting rankings don't necessarily mean that you are going to be good, it just means you start off with better pieces. How you develop those pieces is a different story. People like Tannehill and Manziel weren't highly recruited, yet they were first round draft picks.

As far as Stanford goes - they've had some really good coaches, too. And it isn't like they are devoid of talent. It isn't like Kentucky beating Alabama in the scenarios you mentioned.

And back to recruiting - if you took half of the top 50 recruits in the nation and created an all freshman team, how would it do? Probably not that win as much as a team with a mixture of experience and depth. The kids wouldn't have had time to develop like the people they were playing against did. Sure, there are people like Lattimore, Clowney, and some other guys who can come in immediately and have an impact, but for all of those guys there are quite a few more who can't come in and contribute immediately without some development.
StoutAg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:36 PM   #62
BiscoCocky
Recruit

Male

BiscoCocky is making other chickens nervousBiscoCocky is making other chickens nervousBiscoCocky is making other chickens nervousBiscoCocky is making other chickens nervousBiscoCocky is making other chickens nervousBiscoCocky is making other chickens nervousBiscoCocky is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoutAg View Post
Bisco, I think what people are saying is that when Sumlin came aboard, with the exception of a few pieces, we really had no depth. Now a few years of solid recruiting into it, we have some depth and the ability to replace pieces. Recruiting classes before '11 are irrelevant because we had a different coach and different system. Most Aggies think Kevin Sumlin is a good coach - I'm one of them. Does he have Spurrier's track record? No. That doesn't mean he can't coach, though. Recruiting rankings don't necessarily mean that you are going to be good, it just means you start off with better pieces. How you develop those pieces is a different story. People like Tannehill and Manziel weren't highly recruited, yet they were first round draft picks.

As far as Stanford goes - they've had some really good coaches, too. And it isn't like they are devoid of talent. It isn't like Kentucky beating Alabama in the scenarios you mentioned.

And back to recruiting - if you took half of the top 50 recruits in the nation and created an all freshman team, how would it do? Probably not that win as much as a team with a mixture of experience and depth. The kids wouldn't have had time to develop like the people they were playing against did. Sure, there are people like Lattimore, Clowney, and some other guys who can come in immediately and have an impact, but for all of those guys there are quite a few more who can't come in and contribute immediately without some development.
You actually proved my point, recruit rankings don't mean d4ck unless you can develop players, right now texas ATM hasn't proven they can develop players (it's a small sample size I know). Again last year was your best class in 20 years and you guts doubled the amount if losses and got worse on defense ( even w all those big bad texas hs studs). This year you bring in a better class, more expectations, and yet myles garret ( who many of your idiot fans have claimed is better than clowney) can't crack the starting lineup, in a position of desperate need.
BiscoCocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 04:19 PM   #63
StoutAg
Walk On

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiscoCocky View Post
You actually proved my point, recruit rankings don't mean d4ck unless you can develop players, right now texas ATM hasn't proven they can develop players (it's a small sample size I know). Again last year was your best class in 20 years and you guts doubled the amount if losses and got worse on defense ( even w all those big bad texas hs studs). This year you bring in a better class, more expectations, and yet myles garret ( who many of your idiot fans have claimed is better than clowney) can't crack the starting lineup, in a position of desperate need.
We got worse on defense because we lost experience and were forced to start freshman who really needed time to develop. I agree with you on the development of players. I think everyone's speaking out that we actually have talent and a little depth now versus last year when we were forced to play freshmen all over the place. "doubling losses" is a relative term. Alabama lost twice as many games last year as they did the previous year, too. ;)

Myles Garret may start at some point this year, but like I was saying earlier - our defense was bad last year because we HAD to play guys in his situation. This year we have a little more depth to allow him to get some reps and used to the next level.

You guys will have to get used to the Clowney comparisons and not take them so personally. It's just like every good running back is going to be the next Adrian Peterson. Take it as a compliment. :)
Old 08-21-2014, 04:57 PM   #64
BiggerLSUfan
Recruit

Male

BiggerLSUfan has feathers coming inBiggerLSUfan has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoutAg View Post
We got worse on defense because we lost experience and were forced to start freshman who really needed time to develop. I agree with you on the development of players. I think everyone's speaking out that we actually have talent and a little depth now versus last year when we were forced to play freshmen all over the place. "doubling losses" is a relative term. Alabama lost twice as many games last year as they did the previous year, too. ;)

Myles Garret may start at some point this year, but like I was saying earlier - our defense was bad last year because we HAD to play guys in his situation. This year we have a little more depth to allow him to get some reps and used to the next level.

You guys will have to get used to the Clowney comparisons and not take them so personally. It's just like every good running back is going to be the next Adrian Peterson. Take it as a compliment. :)
To be fair, there hasn't been much "next Adrian Peterson" talk until Fournette
BiggerLSUfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 05:15 PM   #65
BiscoCocky
Recruit

Male

BiscoCocky is making other chickens nervousBiscoCocky is making other chickens nervousBiscoCocky is making other chickens nervousBiscoCocky is making other chickens nervousBiscoCocky is making other chickens nervousBiscoCocky is making other chickens nervousBiscoCocky is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggerLSUfan View Post
I'll agree with you on that, and this coming from someone that has lived through issah Crowell, Keith Marshall, and nick Chubb (no knocks on the last 2 but come on haven't seen anything yet).
BiscoCocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 05:29 PM   #66
StoutAg
Walk On

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggerLSUfan View Post
He's really the first person to have legitimate comparisons. They used to say DMF was the next AD, but injuries hindered him. I've read other boards trying to compare their current backs to AD...which is just funny.