CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
U-Dub Gamecock
taylorssc
Outland
gadeneer1986
Latt7more
B-G
b381l
HeadCockFan
Grit_And_Steel
Lorenzo Nunez (1122)
Incoming Class (1015)
Rest of the season p (999)
Why is everyone anti (775)
Let us clarify some (740)
Tennessee kickoff an (713)
Bruce Ellington's Fi (713)
Just thought of some (700)
Is Clowney back toni (570)
How did we not make (492)
Thoughts on the basketbal
Roll call for Auburn
Miss St. defense
Why is everyone anticipat
Just thought of something
How do you want Auburn to
Garber vs Klinsmann round
Peyton Manning breaks Bre
SEC coaching changes
Rest of the season predic

Old 08-21-2014, 02:58 PM   #81
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material
Default Re: Spurrier: Davis May Not Be Available For Aggies

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiscoCocky View Post
Based off his twitter and Instagram he doesn't claim a particular a girl as his gf, so your theory is entertaining but unlikely.

I think he was just lollygaggin or playing johnny grabass etc and spurs trying to get him in line since were 7days out. I don't like it if that's the case because chris low and some other reporters were tweeting speculations, most seem to believe wer're pulling billichik and manipulating possible injury news.
Oh, I admit my theory is just speculation. However, if a player wants to be out with SM the way MD does, I think it is fair game for us to speculate about what he means.

I do also agree that SOS is attempting to motivate Mike. Although the HBC claims he does not tweet, etc., I think he likely has ways to know what is going on with his players. Therefore, I think it possible his remarks about MD were partially in response to Mike's tweeting the day and night before, especially since he has been missing practice due to an injury. Again, this is wild speculation.

Side issue: the media complained that there was no press interviews last night after practice. Any insight on why SOS did not make the coaches and players available yesterday?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery View Post
I can hardly express how much it bothers me that the words tweeter and instagrammer exist.

My point is no matter how funny or whatever you and others find his tweets, those never make the news. He can do whatever he wants when he's in the NFL to build his brand, but now while his actions and words are a direct reflection of USC I just feel it's best to keep quiet.

Wasn't it last year he got a bunch of crap from fans on twitter too about fumbling and responded? I remember something to that effect.
I could not disagree with you more.

The players here have a great opportunity, if they want, to learn how to use social media to build their brand while at USC. In fact, we do a great job of teaching this to our players. It is an opportunity that sets us apart from other programs in the SEC. We acknowledge and respect our players brand. Brand building is hugely important. Especially if you end up being a professional.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:06 PM   #82
BiscoCocky
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
BiscoCocky is making other chickens nervousBiscoCocky is making other chickens nervousBiscoCocky is making other chickens nervousBiscoCocky is making other chickens nervousBiscoCocky is making other chickens nervousBiscoCocky is making other chickens nervousBiscoCocky is making other chickens nervous

I think players weren't available bc there was an incident at the wal mart in west cola
BiscoCocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:09 PM   #83
ZenUSC
Two Deep

Male

ZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by conwaycock2 View Post
Spurrier didn't say he might not play nor did he say he might not be available. He said he might not start. Big difference
LOL! Spurrier semantics! He ain't afraid to throw out a bone to the media.
ZenUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 04:51 PM   #84
rosstheboss
Diehard

Male

CockyCash: 461687660
rosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot material

according to twitter Davis is back practicing fully today...like most people said, there's nothing to see here. He will be ready in a week
Old 08-21-2014, 05:19 PM   #85
Emery
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Emery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
I could not disagree with you more.

The players here have a great opportunity, if they want, to learn how to use social media to build their brand while at USC. In fact, we do a great job of teaching this to our players. It is an opportunity that sets us apart from other programs in the SEC. We acknowledge and respect our players brand. Brand building is hugely important. Especially if you end up being a professional.
I see where you are coming from, the players name and personality is his brand etc. maybe I'm na´ve, but I can't see anyone other than media covering college football and gamecock fans following the twitting of Davis. Thus, fans who he would have otherwise and media stories off his twitter are all he will gain. The media doesn't run with positive stories, only negative so I don't see what's to gain there.

Clowney didn't get anymore endorsement money because of this twitter following and I doubt Davis will either. I just seems to me at this stage in their career it's more of a liability than a benefit.

However, if the rules change and college players can actually make money with their own image during their college career then I change my stance.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:59 PM   #86
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery View Post
I see where you are coming from, the players name and personality is his brand etc. maybe I'm na´ve, but I can't see anyone other than media covering college football and gamecock fans following the twitting of Davis. Thus, fans who he would have otherwise and media stories off his twitter are all he will gain. The media doesn't run with positive stories, only negative so I don't see what's to gain there.

Clowney didn't get anymore endorsement money because of this twitter following and I doubt Davis will either. I just seems to me at this stage in their career it's more of a liability than a benefit.

However, if the rules change and college players can actually make money with their own image during their college career then I change my stance.
The thing is it is a potential asset to be built with a social media following. So, while it may not payoff during their school days, it can be valuable for them later. Done right, the player is creating a network and a brand that has real value, especially if he becomes a professional football player with possible endorsement deals.

Even if you do not go on to play professional sports after a football career at Carolina, a player can leverage his brand to find a good job, enhance his professional standing in your chosen field, and be a valuable marketing asset for an employer. Social media now is not just tweeting out your status and pictures of cats. It is a science used for professional networking. Gamecock football players have a leg up on other students because they will be well known.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:06 PM   #87
BiscoCocky
Banned

Male

BiscoCocky is making other chickens nervousBiscoCocky is making other chickens nervousBiscoCocky is making other chickens nervousBiscoCocky is making other chickens nervousBiscoCocky is making other chickens nervousBiscoCocky is making other chickens nervousBiscoCocky is making other chickens nervous

Mike davis is def trying to build his brand through social media, which is very smart. Rbs have short shelf lives in the nfl, mike knows this first hand. I think he's trying to set himself up for job in front the camera, most of his tweets/post are comical in nature, he retweets and responds to fans, and he is a very likeable guy. Watch his post games he's great, reporters love him (hence why espn was retweeting him last night after spurrier made those comments).
Old 08-21-2014, 09:03 PM   #88
Copperhead
Fight, Win, Kick Ass

Male

CockyCash: 1080
Copperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadCockFan View Post
We don't need a running back in this one. 5 wide all night!
Lol. Fun and Gun 2.0

Gotta love it
Copperhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:39 PM   #89
Chill98
Walk On

Male

Chill98 has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenUSC View Post
LOL! Spurrier semantics! He ain't afraid to throw out a bone to the media.
It doesn't sound like semantics. I think this guy is far from 100%, but Spurrier is worried about installation and wants him involved. Spurrier is probably watching Bama and Auburn tape against A&M. Those two teams modified their offenses specifically for A&M, going hurry up to try to match the scoring output by A&M. Auburn actually went as far to also "doctor" their game tape. It later was called out later by Arkansas and they were "warned" internally by the SEC head office.
Chill98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:56 PM   #90
cocksmith1or11
Zone Reader

Male

CockyCash: 750
cocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie96 View Post
Sucks he is injured. Hope he heals well.
How are the back ups? I have heard Wilds mentioned as someone that is servicable, any other insight on him?

I would be more worried about Williams taking one the distance, correct me if I'm wrong cockytalk, but isn't David 2nd or 3rd fastest player on the team as well?

cocksmith1or11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:04 PM   #91
kingofnerf
4-Star

Male

kingofnerf has earned his spurskingofnerf has earned his spurskingofnerf has earned his spurskingofnerf has earned his spurskingofnerf has earned his spurskingofnerf has earned his spurs

MD is a baller that's always going to be playing through an injury of some kind.
kingofnerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:14 PM   #92
BiscoCocky
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill98 View Post
It doesn't sound like semantics. I think this guy is far from 100%, but Spurrier is worried about installation and wants him involved. Spurrier is probably watching Bama and Auburn tape against A&M. Those two teams modified their offenses specifically for A&M, going hurry up to try to match the scoring output by A&M. Auburn actually went as far to also "doctor" their game tape. It later was called out later by Arkansas and they were "warned" internally by the SEC head office.
Serious question for evanaggie, aggie96, and attqb whatever, are all your fans this dense? Aside from you 3 I get the feeling that most aggie fans that come on this board started watching/following college football 2 yrs ago.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:31 PM   #93
Gamecock in TX
Walk On

Male

Gamecock in TX is learning to peck

Quote:
Serious question for evanaggie, aggie96, and attqb whatever, are all your fans this dense? Aside from you 3 I get the feeling that most aggie fans that come on this board started watching/following college football 2 yrs ago.
Chill98 is about as dense as they come. Check out his comment (has to be the same person, first comment on story) on this link to a Saturday Down South article, where he explains how he evaluates talent. His method is to color code the charts of both teams based on star rating as a recruit, which obviously allows him to get a quick overall feel of each teams talent. He has come to the conclusion that aTm is better than USC at every position as a group using rankings that haven't been updated or relevant since the player stepped foot on a college campus. Genius, I tell you...

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/tam...#comment-54051
Gamecock in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:00 AM   #94
Aggie96
Resident Aggie

Male

CockyCash: 200
Aggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudly

To say other than the 3 of us all Aggie fans just started watching football 2 years ago is a bit of a stretch...

Recruiting stars are relevant for recruiting classes and raw talent and that is about it. Think of it as being similar to the potential that draft picks have in the NFL. The biggest difference is that in the pros, those that don't get drafted rarely get the opportunity to show what they have because of the money involved in the guys that do get drafted.

Recruiting certainly matters because you don't see any teams just going out trying to fill up with nothing but 3* players (unless they have no choice a la t-sips)

I will say this, the top 5* guys (best in their positions typically) are usually not busts and most of the time you have a smaller margin of error there. But that doesn't mean that the 3* kids don't do well and have potential as well, the margin of error there is hard to peg. The key is to develop those kids and build a team where you are able to just reload every year because you have such a big pool of raw talent. I would be willing to bet that there are more 3* guys that do better than expected, than there are 5* guys that flop. So if you have several loaded recruiting classes in a row it certainly helps, couple that with a coach that develops them and look out. (See Bama)

I like seeing the 5* guys get picked up by my team because they typically aren't misses, but I will be happy to take another 3* QB from Kerrville, Texas with some moxy and flash if it turns out like last time
Old 08-22-2014, 12:13 AM   #95
Gamecock in TX
Walk On

Male

Gamecock in TX is learning to peck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie96 View Post
Recruiting stars are relevant for recruiting classes and raw talent and that is about it.
I agree with much of what you said, but this sentence in particular. Those ratings mean nothing once they step foot on campus, because it isn't a given that each player will play to their rating. To base your opinion of which position group is better than others, based on AVG star ratings, is just dumb. Like you said, if aTm had determined playing time by star rating, we would never have heard of JFF.

Of course a team of five stars would be great, but there is more to it than just that. You're right that development plays a big part too in your players and roster, and some coaches and programs are better at it than others. You can bring in all the raw talent in the world but if you can't do shyte with it then it doesn't matter. We have done a really good job of this lately and have put quite a few players in the NFL, all while getting only two five stars (Clowney & Lattimore).

I can't wait for this season to start so we can stop talking about this and let the on field results speak for itself.
Gamecock in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:22 AM   #96
kingofnerf
4-Star

Male

kingofnerf has earned his spurskingofnerf has earned his spurskingofnerf has earned his spurskingofnerf has earned his spurskingofnerf has earned his spurskingofnerf has earned his spurs

If I were an A&M fan I would want them to ditch the bevel on the "T".

Go to a dark background with white letters and put crossed swords in between the "T" and the other letters.

The bevel looks lame.
kingofnerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:33 AM   #97
Aggie96
Resident Aggie

Male

CockyCash: 200
Aggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofnerf View Post
If I were an A&M fan I would want them to ditch the bevel on the "T".

Go to a dark background with white letters and put crossed swords in between the "T" and the other letters.

The bevel looks lame.
Don't get me started on the Bevel...

That is a big funny topic over on our site. Kind of like the old Miller Lite Commercials "Taste Great!!! Less Filling!!!" or Arabs arguing over 1 hump camels or 2 humpers...
Old 08-22-2014, 01:36 AM   #98
evan_aggie
Recruit

Male

evan_aggie is sharpening his clawsevan_aggie is sharpening his clawsevan_aggie is sharpening his clawsevan_aggie is sharpening his claws

Quote:

It is easy to forget that fans is short for fanatics. I think all fan bases have a bunch of but jobs and sun shine punpers that won't accept reality.

There are a lot of "fans" that were created out of thin air during and after the johnny show. I remember one guy in particular at one of our games having a number 2 shirt standing in line for autographs from Christine michael and damontre moore without having a clue who either were. I don't like those fans and wish they'd stick to TU.

Similarly, there are USC fans that expect this game to be 50 to 10. ..... really?
evan_aggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:53 AM   #99
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

I guess you Aggie fans will notice how many on here frequently hijack threads instead of PMing or starting their own.

By the way, Davis is stated by the team to be ready for Thursday's game.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:00 AM   #100
A. Pilgrim
Blue Chip

Male

A. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot material

I swear, the number of fans freaking out over Spurrier's comments on Davis is hilarious.

All of you that have taken his comments and ran with them should feel silly.
A. Pilgrim is online now   Reply With Quote