CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
El Cid Ranger
WeStillOwnUSC
GarnetSwarm1990
taylorssc
USCNowAndForever
gamecockgal
SC Sandlapper
Gamecocks1137
B-G
ConwayGamecock
Interesting quotes f (2067)
Have you ever been s (1283)
Tennessee Offense Br (812)
Key for 2015 defense (769)
Women's Team Ranked (511)
This season and recr (441)
Skai Moore out for U (435)
Lebron makes Clevela (342)
SEC Coaches Dress Up (235)
For all the uniform (191)
2016 - Jovan Kinlaw
Uniforms for Tenn
***2014 Carolina Panthers
Have you ever been so wro
BLACK OUT!!!!!!!
We're going to the NCAA T
Season Tickets
Key for 2015 defense
Women's Team Ranked #2 In
Wallpaper & Backgroun

Old 08-21-2014, 09:35 PM   #1
topcock77
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
topcock77 is learning to peck
Default SEC East QB's Ranked

http://greatamericansportsnetwork.co...-quarterbacks/ Thoughts? I would put Thompson at number 1 ahead of Maty Mauk (he beat him head to head last year...sort of) but other than that it seems about right. If I were UK I would have started the freshman Barker I think.
topcock77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:46 PM   #2
Take-a-Knee
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 10000
Take-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot material
Default Re: SEC East QB's Ranked

Worley will break some hearts this year , I hope it ain't ours
Take-a-Knee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:49 PM   #3
sanford
4-Star

Male

sanford is developing his combsanford is developing his combsanford is developing his combsanford is developing his combsanford is developing his combsanford is developing his combsanford is developing his combsanford is developing his combsanford is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take-a-Knee View Post
not with his offensive line.
sanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:50 PM   #4
uscGRAD04
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 833
uscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot material

Tenn. Lost their entire Off and Def line. Gonna be a rough year for them
uscGRAD04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:55 PM   #5
COCKDIESEL
Voice of Reason

Male

CWS Baseball Pickem Winner: CWS Baseball Pickem Winner - Given for: Winning the first CWS Pickem Contest 
CockyCash: 57400000
COCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take-a-Knee View Post
He may line up in punt formation to give himself some time to get a pass off.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:02 PM   #6
StretfordEnd
TURNT UP IN SECTION 18

Male

CockyCash: 400
StretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his comb

If their line can give him enough time to get a pass off, Worley definitely has some weapons to throw at in Marquez North, Von Pearson, and Josh Malone.
StretfordEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:03 PM   #7
SuperCockMaster
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
SuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPit

Thompson above Mauk all day. I think Driskel should be at the bottom. I also think Worley should be ahead of or tied with Mason because Mason hasn't proven squat. I also think Towles is legit and should be ranked higher than last. I mean how do three Vandy guys who suck rank ahead of a 6'5 guy with a cannon arm? It doesn't make much sense.
SuperCockMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:15 PM   #8
bigoleCOCK3521
Walk On

Male

bigoleCOCK3521 has hatched from the shell

if Mauk had the weapons this year that he had last season i would MAYBE have him above Dylan. but as that's not the case.. Dylan numero uno.

plus-- Dylan beats teams and can put up the same numbers as anybody, if not better, with no receivers over 6 foot.
bigoleCOCK3521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:19 PM   #9
sanford
4-Star

Male

sanford is developing his combsanford is developing his combsanford is developing his combsanford is developing his combsanford is developing his combsanford is developing his combsanford is developing his combsanford is developing his combsanford is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigoleCOCK3521 View Post
if Mauk had the weapons this year that he had last season i would MAYBE have him above Dylan. but as that's not the case.. Dylan numero uno.

plus-- Dylan beats teams and can put up the same numbers as anybody, if not better, with no receivers over 6 foot.
not talking smack, because I like the kid and think he has some talent.

however, before we make a claim like that we need to think back to the Missouri game. if Shaw would not have been available then Dylan would have finished making his mess that he started.
sanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:37 PM   #10
YouCanNeverTell
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
YouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanford View Post
not talking smack, because I like the kid and think he has some talent.

however, before we make a claim like that we need to think back to the Missouri game. if Shaw would not have been available then Dylan would have finished making his mess that he started.
Dylan didn't have a bad game. Davis's fumbles killed us. Dylan was 15/27 222 yds 1 Int. Mauk was 10/25 249 1 TD 1 Int and the one TD was 96 yds. Dylan played a better game than Mauk. It just wasn't being reflected on the score board.
YouCanNeverTell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:58 PM   #11
Jwilson
60 Year Fan

Male

Jwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanford View Post
not with his offensive line.
True, dat. They just moved a freshman defensive lineman over to offense. It must be bad at rocky top.
Jwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 03:26 AM   #12
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

CockyCash: 219000
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

Mauk above thompson, sorry be objective folks

for willy
GamecockUltimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 04:38 AM   #13
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1220
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouCanNeverTell View Post
Dylan didn't have a bad game. Davis's fumbles killed us. Dylan was 15/27 222 yds 1 Int. Mauk was 10/25 249 1 TD 1 Int and the one TD was 96 yds. Dylan played a better game than Mauk. It just wasn't being reflected on the score board.

Fumbles, drops, wr not getting their feet in bounds. Our wr were used to the way Shaw throws the ball with more touch a less zip, now they will be adjusted to Thompsons throwing style with Shaw out of the way.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:54 AM   #14
InletCock1989
5th Year Senior

Male

CockyCash: 672
InletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcock77 View Post
http://greatamericansportsnetwork.co...-quarterbacks/ Thoughts? I would put Thompson at number 1 ahead of Maty Mauk (he beat him head to head last year...sort of) but other than that it seems about right. If I were UK I would have started the freshman Barker I think.
Technically, Connor Shaw beat him...but the record will say Dylan.
InletCock1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:37 AM   #15
Gamecock in TX
Walk On

Male

Gamecock in TX is learning to peck

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockUltimate View Post
Mauk above thompson, sorry be objective folks
Let's be objective then. Dylan has more attempts, more completions, a higher completion %, more TDs and more experience than Mauk. For all the premature hype related to him last year, Mauk didn't beat a single bowl eligible team. Against Carolina he was 10-25 for 225 and a TD on his home field, and those numbers are skewed due to a 96 yard TD pass.

Mauk barely completed 50% of his passes, which if not improved will be a huge propblem for their offense. Part of the advantage of going up tempo is not allowing the defense to substitute. Incomplete passes will limit their ability to do that. He is more of a gunslinger than Dylan and will win a ton of games, but you can't count on that week to week. It will let you down, it is only a matter of time and when, not if.

For all the talk about Dylan in the Mizzou game, people forget we moved the ball inside their 30 yard line of 4/8 possessions with Dylan in the game. To not come away with any points is the exception, not the norm. The fumbles were huge. He passed for 225 yards in 2.5 quarters.

Do both need to improve, of course. Due to the losses of many of their playmakers, in my opinion more will be asked of Mauk in Mizzou's offense than will be of Thompson. Mauk may have a greater upside, but he is far from it at this point.
Gamecock in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:19 AM   #16
Stonecoldcock
Starter

CockyCash: 20001160
Stonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
Fumbles, drops, wr not getting their feet in bounds. Our wr were used to the way Shaw throws the ball with more touch a less zip, now they will be adjusted to Thompsons throwing style with Shaw out of the way.
I'm not quite sure where this perception comes from, only thing I can think is because Connor is more of a hybrid qb and not expected to be as good a passer, and Dylan being the drop back qb therefore must have the stronger arm, etc. Especially on the intermediate to long throws Connor almost always threw his balls on a line, and Dylan always seemed to like to put more air under his throws which drove me crazy. As a former QB I can tell you for sure its a lot easier to aim a pass when you're throwing it on a line than when you're putting air under the ball, and then look at Shaw vs Thompson's completion %. Thompson was better last year than 2012 in this area, but imo, he can still improve his completion % even more if he stops lofting his intermediate/deep passes so much, and gets them there quicker, which I expect to see continued improvement in this area, and I'm hoping Thompson will be comfortably over 60% completion this year.
Stonecoldcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:21 AM   #17
05USCGrad
i'm probably lying

Male

CockyCash: 100950
05USCGrad is USC mascot material05USCGrad is USC mascot material05USCGrad is USC mascot material05USCGrad is USC mascot material05USCGrad is USC mascot material05USCGrad is USC mascot material05USCGrad is USC mascot material05USCGrad is USC mascot material05USCGrad is USC mascot material05USCGrad is USC mascot material05USCGrad is USC mascot material

1. mauk
2. Thompson
3. Worley (too bad he won't have an OL)
4. mason
5. driskel
6. vandy
7. towles

05USCGrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:07 AM   #18
MU Mike
Walk On

Male

MU Mike has feathers coming inMU Mike has feathers coming in

I would put Thompson ahead of Mauk, and obviously I'm a huge Mauk fan. But Mauk's completion percentage has to improve. There were times last year where he looked like he was just "winging it", and he probably was since he was thrown into the fire. He had the very good fortune of being able to just throw the ball up and DGB or L'Damian would find a way to bring it down.

We don't have those two this year, and they were really good WR's for us.

From what I've seen so far, we've practiced more 2 TE, 2 RB sets than I've ever seen us run, so perhaps the coaches are hoping that a steady running game will take some pressure off of Mauk so he doesn't feel like he has to do everything back there.

Mauk certainly has the "it" factor, but whether that translates into continuous improvement remains to be seen.
MU Mike is offline   Reply With Quote