CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
thumpin big
U-Dub Gamecock
smoovecock
markymark550
rosstheboss
STEPHONGILMOREFAN!
robgusc76
GregoryHouse
CockTail
2014 Charleston Clas (2893)
The Defense (1860)
**USC Women vs. San (1855)
Women's soccer Sweet (1512)
Spurrier on Pharoah: (1209)
3,000 / 1,000 / 1,00 (1052)
USC/clemson spread (717)
In case no one saw.. (700)
injury report? (646)
Your favorite Greate (433)
What Are Your Win/Loss Ex
USC/clemson spread
A little late to the conv
Spurrier on Pharoah: &quo
**USC Women vs. San Diego
2014 Charleston Classic:
Odell Becham Catch
3,000 / 1,000 / 1,000
Gamecock Men Have Been Fa
Drew Owens missing?

Old 08-22-2014, 01:25 AM   #41
Copperhead
Fight, Win, Kick Ass

Male

CockyCash: 1080
Copperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talons
Default Re: First "Carolina Calls" Steve Spurrier Call-In Show Thursday Aug 21

Why do we need a rivalry trophy for a team we never played before and is not our rival. Didn't have one with Arky as our constant, nor should we have, imo. Columbia- Columbia, ok I get that. But this.....Can I get that trophy with some cheesy. Last time I saw SOS asked about this, my perception was he thougjt it was stupid. And so do I. The Annual Battle For The Burger. Guess we know where the $ for the 200,000 signage came . Speculative, of course

Gotta love it
Copperhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:32 AM   #42
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead View Post
Why do we need a rivalry trophy for a team we never played before and is not our rival. Didn't have one with Arky as our constant, nor should we have, imo. Columbia- Columbia, ok I get that. But this.....Can I get that trophy with some cheesy. Last time I saw SOS asked about this, my perception was he thougjt it was stupid. And so do I. The Annual Battle For The Burger. Guess we know where the $ for the 200,000 signage came . Speculative, of course
they're talking about the Carolina-Clemson throphy being called Clash of the Crescent.....absolutely terrible name.....
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:37 AM   #43
johnnyb
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Male

CockyCash: 1715674460
johnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot material

then come up with a better one

To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:46 AM   #44
SuperCockMaster
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
SuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
The Hardee's Trophy
SuperCockMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:49 AM   #45
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
why does there need to be a name....they shouldn't even call it a rivalry anymore....rivalries are when both teams have a chance to win.....just call it the SC Championship game.....you win, you're the champion, you lose, you're not.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:50 AM   #46
johnnyb
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Male

johnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCockMaster View Post
The Hardee's Trophy
other than the fact that this is already "in use" how is a cheesy trophy sponsored 30 years ago by a fast food chain better than a rivalry name and associated trophy that has some relation to the state?

To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:51 AM   #47
mpilot0705
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 599360
mpilot0705 is USC mascot materialmpilot0705 is USC mascot materialmpilot0705 is USC mascot materialmpilot0705 is USC mascot materialmpilot0705 is USC mascot materialmpilot0705 is USC mascot materialmpilot0705 is USC mascot materialmpilot0705 is USC mascot materialmpilot0705 is USC mascot materialmpilot0705 is USC mascot materialmpilot0705 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to mpilot0705

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latti2001 View Post
He went to Wofford.
Yep. Graduated in the 50's. Left that part out because they were more interested to the tie-in to Hardee's. He played in the NFL and used his Championship bonus to go in on the first franchise. Still very active in the Spartanburg community I believe.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:57 AM   #48
johnnyb
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
why does there need to be a name....they shouldn't even call it a rivalry anymore....rivalries are when both teams have a chance to win.....just call it the SC Championship game.....you win, you're the champion, you lose, you're not.
big regional rivalrys normally have names, the iron bowl, the red river rivalry, the "worlds largest outdoor cocktail party' LOL

We are both national recognized and highly ranked programs, not saying that it has to have a name, I kinda like the fact that the media has started calling it the palmetto bowl or the battle for the palmetto state, wish we had picked up one of those and ran with it instead of trying to come up with something from scratch like this was.

that being said they have gotten it rolling and seems like I even saw a mock up of a trophy for it, they have put a lot of effort into it and it isnt a bad idea, if we are gonna play for a trophy it needs to be something a little more meaningful (or at least signifigant to the state) than a fast food burger trophy

Old 08-22-2014, 03:03 AM   #49
SuperCockMaster
Banned

Male

SuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPit

Quote:
other than the fact that this is already "in use" how is a cheesy trophy sponsored 30 years ago by a fast food chain better than a rivalry name and associated trophy that has some relation to the state?
Hardee's is the best. They have Texas BBQ Thickburgers, Mushroom & Swiss Thickburgers, Bacon Cheese Thickburgers, Frisco Thickburgers, Monster Thickburgers(BOO! spooky lol), Original Turkey Burgers, Spicy Chicken Sandwiches, the list goes on and on and on. It's just magical! If you love crescents so much, maybe I can meet you half way. How about I get one of the juicy Texas BBQ Thickburgers and eat it into the shape of a crescent then present it to you after the Clemson game?

Old 08-22-2014, 03:09 AM   #50
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 113804578
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Hardee's is the best. They have Texas BBQ Thickburgers, Mushroom & Swiss Thickburgers, Bacon Cheese Thickburgers, Frisco Thickburgers, Monster Thickburgers(BOO! spooky lol), Original Turkey Burgers, Spicy Chicken Sandwiches, the list goes on and on and on. It's just magical! If you love crescents so much, maybe I can meet you half way. How about I get one of the juicy Texas BBQ Thickburgers and eat it into the shape of a crescent for you then present it to you after the Clemson game?

You win the internets today! Nice job!
Old 08-22-2014, 03:34 AM   #51
johnnyb
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Male

Quote:
Hardee's is the best. They have Texas BBQ Thickburgers, Mushroom & Swiss Thickburgers, Bacon Cheese Thickburgers, Frisco Thickburgers, Monster Thickburgers(BOO! spooky lol), Original Turkey Burgers, Spicy Chicken Sandwiches, the list goes on and on and on. It's just magical! If you love crescents so much, maybe I can meet you half way. How about I get one of the juicy Texas BBQ Thickburgers and eat it into the shape of a crescent then present it to you after the Clemson game?

Old 08-22-2014, 09:23 AM   #52
rrsandersjr
Blue Chip

Male

rrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpilot0705 View Post
The panther's owner Jerry Richardson had the first Hardee's franchise in South Carolina and had over 500 of them...then he served as CEO for the parent company into the 90's. I'm pretty sure that has a lot to do with it.
Richardson was also business partners with his former Wofford teammate Charlie Bradshaw who was the father of former Gamecock qb-wr, Bill Bradshaw. I'll never forget Bill rolling around in the Clemson end zone in '84 after Mike Hold scored late to tie the game and the xpt gave us the 22-21 win.
rrsandersjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:46 AM   #53
18IsTheMan
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs

Given our State's ranking near the top of list of most obese states, I've always been amused that the trophy for the Clemson game was named after a fast food restaurant. It's dumb sounding and not at all cool like many of the other rivalry games in the country, but it is what it is. I don't see the point in just making something up out of thin air to try starting a new tradition.
18IsTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:27 AM   #54
12+4=6
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 850
12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit
Send a message via AIM to 12+4=6

How can you bash the Clash of the Crescent idea when our current trophy is named after a regional fast food chain? Almost anything would be better. That palmetto tree (and crescent) would look sweet in the new plaza.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:55 AM   #55
zambam
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 24050000
zambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPit

Damn I hate I missed this call-in. Did Todd and SOS spend the whole time talking about the Hardee's trophy vs. the Clash of the Croissant?
zambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:23 AM   #56
SuperCockMaster
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12+4=6 View Post
How can you bash the Clash of the Crescent idea when our current trophy is named after a regional fast food chain? Almost anything would be better. That palmetto tree (and crescent) would look sweet in the new plaza.
Did you see my suggestion? I really think it could work.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:25 AM   #57
12+4=6
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 850
12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit
Send a message via AIM to 12+4=6

Quote:
Did you see my suggestion? I really think it could work.

Now that's a compromise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-22-2014, 01:00 PM   #58
Wkrice91
Blue Chip

Male

Wkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
they're talking about the Carolina-Clemson throphy being called Clash of the Crescent.....absolutely terrible name.....
I agree. Clash of the Cresent sounds rediculous. Why do we have to name it anything?
Wkrice91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 03:11 AM   #59
Cockadoo
Starter

Male

Cockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPit

Clash of the Crescent in literal terms means that something or some group from a Crescent area or cultural background called the Crescent are "clashing". So it really doesn't even make sense. The state is not called crescent. The people are not called Crescent's, so it just don't jive. It would have to be called something like The Carolina Clash or Clash of the Carolinians. "The Carolinian's Trophy" might work.

Cockadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 04:39 AM   #60
SuperCockMaster
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockadoo View Post
Clash of the Crescent in literal terms means that something or some group from a Crescent area or cultural background called the Crescent are "clashing". So it really doesn't even make sense. The state is not called crescent. The people are not called Crescent's, so it just don't jive. It would have to be called something like The Carolina Clash or Clash of the Carolinians. "The Carolinian's Trophy" might work.
What about Johnny Clash?