CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
markp_vip
Gamecocks1137
jrussjr
Acockolypse Now
PageUSC
spareparts
COCKYTALKIN
ChickenButt
Cockypantherfan
eightohhthree
Legitimate, Unbiased (1822)
Antonio Allen vs Als (1762)
why we're in this po (1510)
Pharoh Cooper is a s (1306)
Predict the Season ( (1262)
I guess we don't get (1201)
open discussion of t (1120)
Spurrier Press confe (1035)
Dylan Thompson picke (988)
Waldrop & Willia (817)
Spurrier Press conference
D line pressure
Acock's Wrap Up: Vandy
Predict the Season (After
Antonio Allen vs Alshon J
Vols @ UGA (ESPN - Noon)
Pharoh Cooper is a stud
2014-15 Premier League se
Perry Dozier Jr. (2015 Pr
open discussion of this t

Old 08-22-2014, 09:06 AM   #101
Talon1
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
Talon1 is making other chickens nervousTalon1 is making other chickens nervousTalon1 is making other chickens nervousTalon1 is making other chickens nervousTalon1 is making other chickens nervousTalon1 is making other chickens nervousTalon1 is making other chickens nervous
Default Re: Spurrier: Davis May Not Be Available For Aggies

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscandy View Post
Mike Davis is always hurt!
Yep, He seems to pull himself out of games a lot. Not sure what's up with that, but it is very noticeable. He needs to toughen up. Maybe he's trying to save himself for the NFL.
Talon1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:11 AM   #102
davisd9
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 375
davisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocksmith1or11 View Post
I would be more worried about Williams taking one the distance, correct me if I'm wrong cockytalk, but isn't David 2nd or 3rd fastest player on the team as well?
Second with like a 4.37 or so on the 40. He weighs in at 215 to go with that speed. Really excited to see him get some carries.
davisd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:38 AM   #103
MixtapeMangler
Recruit

Male

MixtapeMangler has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Pilgrim View Post

All of you that have taken his comments and ran with them should feel silly.
The SEC network guys should feel really silly then
MixtapeMangler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:50 AM   #104
bobbycock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 15000
bobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his comb

Call it what you will but to Coach Spurrier if you are not fit to practice you are not fit to play. It is interesting though....on the front page of the State paper it has a pic of MD with title that he is back to practice. I think the message was sent and received pretty clearly.
bobbycock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:18 AM   #105
Big-Cock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 200
Big-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbycock View Post
Call it what you will but to Coach Spurrier if you are not fit to practice you are not fit to play. It is interesting though....on the front page of the State paper it has a pic of MD with title that he is back to practice. I think the message was sent and received pretty clearly.
I personally love the fact that SOS will not put up with it. The message it shows is that no one is bigger than the team. No matter how good you are.
Big-Cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:24 AM   #106
Garnet Gamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Garnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot material

His lingering injuries last year were never properly explained and he seemed to get "dinged" a lot.

Sometimes I think I'd give up a tiny bit of speed in favor of more fat -- not muscle, but good old-fashioned fat -- on some of these players. Fat is what protects the body from collisions, not muscle (not to the same degree).

Some of these players are nearly 100% muscle (not literally, of course) which gives them tremendous athletic ability but it also keeps them from being as durable as they could be otherwise.

I think Davis needs to have a good talk with Coach and be honest and say, "Coach, Brandon is great a plowing the field and I think he could help us wear down a defense. It might make sense for him to get the bulk of carries early to wear them down and then let me come in with fresh legs. If I get a decent hole, I'm going to take it to the house."

Of course, Brandon could take it all the way with a nice hole to run through, too. He's got a very good set of wheels himself.

Personally, I think Wilds is the key to this year. If he stays healthy he can a) wear down defenses and create nice screens and blocking where needed; b) carry the load if Davis gets hurt.

And, yes, Brandon could use a few pounds of lard on him as well.

We've got to keep these guys from getting hurt.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:39 AM   #107
12+4=6
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 850
12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit
Send a message via AIM to 12+4=6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery View Post
I see where you are coming from, the players name and personality is his brand etc. maybe I'm na´ve, but I can't see anyone other than media covering college football and gamecock fans following the twitting of Davis. Thus, fans who he would have otherwise and media stories off his twitter are all he will gain. The media doesn't run with positive stories, only negative so I don't see what's to gain there.

Clowney didn't get anymore endorsement money because of this twitter following and I doubt Davis will either. I just seems to me at this stage in their career it's more of a liability than a benefit.

However, if the rules change and college players can actually make money with their own image during their college career then I change my stance.

Doubt Clowney is doing this for free.. He's capitalizing on a huge social media following.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Class of 2013
12+4=6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:54 AM   #108
Mr.101
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 21018809
Mr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot material

^
Well that's cringeworthy
Mr.101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:56 AM   #109
A. Pilgrim
Blue Chip

Male

A. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixtapeMangler View Post
The SEC network guys should feel really silly then

Gamecock fans should be more accustomed to Spurrier's verbal tactics more than those guys.
A. Pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:01 PM   #110
cockybreeyan
Bowl MVP

Male

cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.101 View Post
^
Well that's cringeworthy
good thing it doesn't affect you then
cockybreeyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:14 PM   #111
MixtapeMangler
Recruit

Male

MixtapeMangler has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Pilgrim View Post
Gamecock fans should be more accustomed to Spurrier's verbal tactics more than those guys.
Also true
MixtapeMangler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:19 PM   #112
G&B
purple nurple

Male

CockyCash: 520
G&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnet Gamecock View Post
His lingering injuries last year were never properly explained and he seemed to get "dinged" a lot.

Sometimes I think I'd give up a tiny bit of speed in favor of more fat -- not muscle, but good old-fashioned fat -- on some of these players. Fat is what protects the body from collisions, not muscle (not to the same degree).

Some of these players are nearly 100% muscle (not literally, of course) which gives them tremendous athletic ability but it also keeps them from being as durable as they could be otherwise.

I think Davis needs to have a good talk with Coach and be honest and say, "Coach, Brandon is great a plowing the field and I think he could help us wear down a defense. It might make sense for him to get the bulk of carries early to wear them down and then let me come in with fresh legs. If I get a decent hole, I'm going to take it to the house."

Of course, Brandon could take it all the way with a nice hole to run through, too. He's got a very good set of wheels himself.

Personally, I think Wilds is the key to this year. If he stays healthy he can a) wear down defenses and create nice screens and blocking where needed; b) carry the load if Davis gets hurt.

And, yes, Brandon could use a few pounds of lard on him as well.

We've got to keep these guys from getting hurt.
Then why the hell am I getting hurt?...'cause I'm a fatass....
Old 08-22-2014, 12:26 PM   #113
HeadCockFan
...where the Pampers is.

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by G&B View Post
Then why the hell am I getting hurt?...'cause I'm a fatass....
Alshon = indestructible
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:48 PM   #114
Emery
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Emery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPit

I wasn't talking about NFL players and Clowney was a media darling and a freak of nature. He had a brand before he even came to college so I would consider him an outlier.

I agree that there is something to be said about educating these kids on social media and it's use for networking, self promotion etc. My point is a player like Mike Davis who is on the fringe of national spot light might make a small difference in his brand but it isn't worth the risk to the University. Let's take a 3rd string DL...they would have just as much right to do this but with smaller gain potential and the same risk.

Two things I don't like, a private issue between a coach and player being hashed out on twitter and interviews and second the potential for NCAA issues to come to light. Our recent issues all stemmed from some mindless twitting.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:00 PM   #115
12+4=6
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 850
12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit
Send a message via AIM to 12+4=6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery View Post
I wasn't talking about NFL players and Clowney was a media darling and a freak of nature. He had a brand before he even came to college so I would consider him an outlier.

I agree that there is something to be said about educating these kids on social media and it's use for networking, self promotion etc. My point is a player like Mike Davis who is on the fringe of national spot light might make a small difference in his brand but it isn't worth the risk to the University. Let's take a 3rd string DL...they would have just as much right to do this but with smaller gain potential and the same risk.

Two things I don't like, a private issue between a coach and player being hashed out on twitter and interviews and second the potential for NCAA issues to come to light. Our recent issues all stemmed from some mindless twitting.
Solid points. I was just trying to show that attracting and maintaining a social media following in college could in fact lead to endorsement deals early in a player's pro career. Some of that is done by tweeting interesting things that make people talk - like Mike is doing now. You're right that Clowney is an extreme example but it was just one that flashed across my timeline right after I read some of this thread.

Totally agree that if this is a real issue between MD and Spurrier they should resolve it behind closed doors, but I think this is more of Spurrier just throwing media bait out there than anything else. He's usually pretty straightforward with attitude issues when that's the case.

Class of 2013
12+4=6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:13 PM   #116
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

I think if we can keep him around 15 carries a game, he should make it through the entire season.

Maybe a distribution of:

Davis - 15
Wilds - 15
Carson - 5
Williams - 5

I just don't see anyway you can't split Davis and Wilds 50/50 if both are healthy.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:23 PM   #117
TrueGarnet
Under NCAA Investigation

Male

CockyCash: 9975200
TrueGarnet rules the CockPitTrueGarnet rules the CockPitTrueGarnet rules the CockPitTrueGarnet rules the CockPitTrueGarnet rules the CockPitTrueGarnet rules the CockPitTrueGarnet rules the CockPitTrueGarnet rules the CockPitTrueGarnet rules the CockPitTrueGarnet rules the CockPitTrueGarnet rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
I think if we can keep him around 15 carries a game, he should make it through the entire season.

Maybe a distribution of:

Davis - 15
Wilds - 15
Carson - 5
Williams - 5

I just don't see anyway you can't split Davis and Wilds 50/50 if both are healthy.
I don't disagree with that's how you probably SHOULD see it, but I doubt we see Carson and Williams getting 10 carries a game combined and as long as Davis is producing, I see him getting the lions share

Davis - 25
Wilds - 10
Carson/Williams combined - 5
Old 08-22-2014, 02:32 PM   #118
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

If Mike Davis is getting 20-25 carries a game, he won't make it past midseason without some lingering injury.

Fans were asking at the early part of last year why he was only getting around 15 a game and when they finally turned him loose, he limped all the way to the end of the season. His body just can't hold up to the beating. He is more of a lightning back than thunder.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 06:10 PM   #119
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie96 View Post
Recruiting stars are relevant for recruiting classes and raw talent and that is about it. Think of it as being similar to the potential that draft picks have in the NFL.
This is where you're wrong.

Star ratings reflect only the published offers a player has received, and the number of and conference of schools that are recruiting the player in high school. Star ratings are also tilted toward larger populated to passionate school fan-bases. If your school has a lot of passionate fans, the recruiting services will tend to rate players higher.

They also factor in the published ratings of competitor rating systems, which are somewhat driven by the media pressure to advertise. Here is an example:

Player A is being recruited by Texas A&M. Keep in mind that schools start the recruiting process very early, sometimes as early as Freshman year in high school. A&M makes contact and is involved with the young man.

A recruiting reporter calls the family of Player A. He learns that A&M is recruiting the player as a freshman. Therefore, he assigns the player a 4 star rating (or maybe just a high 3 star). As more schools begin to recruit the player, the star rating gets bumped up.

Before long, other schools learn about Player A through the recruiting news service. They begin to make visits or send letters. Fans get wind of the high rating and begin tweeting the player, his family, and the services. Higher and higher ranks ensue as the services attempt to tickle the ears of the market, and simultaneously sell advertising.

Notice I have not written anything about raw talent.

Shaq Attack

Last edited by yazoo; 08-22-2014 at 06:28 PM.
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 06:34 PM   #120
cockybreeyan
Bowl MVP

Male

cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
If Mike Davis is getting 20-25 carries a game, he won't make it past midseason without some lingering injury.

Fans were asking at the early part of last year why he was only getting around 15 a game and when they finally turned him loose, he limped all the way to the end of the season. His body just can't hold up to the beating. He is more of a lightning back than thunder.
If Davis only gets 15 a game, he won't have any shot at post-season awards or putting up eye popping numbers.

On the other hand, he can't handle more than 15/game. Makes you wonder about his ability to last in the NFL.

I agree with you, though.
cockybreeyan is offline   Reply With Quote