CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ConwayGamecock
Gamecocks1137
thumpin big
Regalcock
JerseyBird
smoovecock
b381l
johnnyb
markymark550
RGHoskins
Constant Updates on (2842)
Brad Lawing (1783)
Alshon - Bose (1248)
Garcia vs Clemson To (1190)
How cool would it be (1063)
Carolina/Clemson gam (881)
Palmetto Bowl (797)
Chattanooga upends N (680)
NEW Pics from South (390)
Where to watch in Ar (260)
Constant Updates on Watso
Coaching Carousel 2014/15
Where to watch in Arlingt
Bowl projections
**USC vs. UNC-Asheville G
Carolina/Clemson game dre
How cool would it be to..
Chattanooga upends No. 4
Rivalry Thoughts and Pred
Palmetto Bowl

Old 08-22-2014, 08:32 AM   #21
HeadCockFan
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material
Default Re: I have not bought into our O-line hype yet

I will have bought all the gamecock hype after my first beer next Thursday. Then after my last beer, as the old man headache sets in, I will sell all the hype about drinking beer.
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:38 AM   #22
pitchcock
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 29792600
pitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
I think we are better than average in pass protection. We should be pretty dominate in run blocking. We have experienced NFL talent at both tackle spots.
We struggled run blocking last year, there were plenty of instances where we couldn't generate any kind of a push even in short yardage situations.

As for pass blocking, I didn't see us last year as "better than average". Both of our "NFL talent" tackles struggled with speed rushers, Robinson moreso than Shell.
pitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:59 AM   #23
Rooster'srule
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
Rooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talons

nm
Rooster'srule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:23 AM   #24
Rooster'srule
Blue Chip

Male

Rooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie96 View Post
Well the actuals were released today... This one is the predictions from last week.
The first team SEC has only one USC guy on offense and that is Davis at RB and none on the defense team.

Then you have Cann and Robinson on the 2nd team and still none on the defensive 2nd team either.

Shell cracks in on the 3rd team Offense
Link: http://www.secsports.com/article/113...eams-announced

LMAO, this is the preseason predictions by the coaches....actuals...SMDH
Old 08-22-2014, 10:48 AM   #25
USC_The_Cheetah
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
USC_The_Cheetah has earned his spursUSC_The_Cheetah has earned his spursUSC_The_Cheetah has earned his spursUSC_The_Cheetah has earned his spursUSC_The_Cheetah has earned his spursUSC_The_Cheetah has earned his spurs

It's obvious - the potential is there just like every year during the past three successful seasons. My wish for our highly rated o-line consist of two things:

1. Consistently generate a push upfront (if the blocking scheme requires it)

2. Finish blocks by staying engaged until the whistle blows & stop looking to see where the running back is during a play.

#benasty

The Corner Has Been Turned ~ Go Gamecocks!
USC_The_Cheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:15 AM   #26
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC_The_Cheetah View Post
1. Consistently generate a push upfront (if the blocking scheme requires it)

2. Finish blocks by staying engaged until the whistle blows & stop looking to see where the running back is during a play.
Not a description of zone blocking, especially #2.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:35 AM   #27
Aggie96
Resident Aggie

Male

Aggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster'srule View Post
Link: http://www.secsports.com/article/113...eams-announced

LMAO, this is the preseason predictions by the coaches....actuals...SMDH
No, that is not predicted by the coaches, it is what they voted on...
Of course it is pre-season... They do this every year before the season starts... The CBS one was a prediction of this one...
Old 08-22-2014, 11:59 AM   #28
Rooster'srule
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie96 View Post
No, that is not predicted by the coaches, it is what they voted on...
Of course it is pre-season... They do this every year before the season starts... The CBS one was a prediction of this one...

Oh you mean the prediction for the coaches predicting votes on who might be on the all-conference team at the end of the year. Yep I got it. LMAO
Old 08-22-2014, 12:01 PM   #29
Harry Tuttle
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1000600
Harry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervous

They should be stronger this year, however, and our pass protection was actually pretty good. With a high center of gravity, like our tackles have it makes sense that they can't get allot of push forwards. Watch the runs around the end though (/UNC td run, UGA 75 yarder, and lots of others) and our tackles are great at hemming in the ends and sliding off into the linebackers. Also, the speed rushers that had the most success were the shorter, stocky Michael Sam types. We adjusted and by the end of the game even they were gassed by getting nothing easy...
Old 08-22-2014, 12:26 PM   #30
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
I haven't either. Waldrop was attacked by schemes devised by Clemson and Wisconsin DCs, and that disrupted several offensive plays. I know Waldrop was injured, but it looked to me as though he was also indecisive. I am hoping it was just the injury.
Clemson blitzed almost every down...that is Venerables "genius" plan.

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:16 PM   #31
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyboy View Post
There are a couple of issues in OL criticism that usually get overlooked. The "dominate" expectation just doesn't hold up in the SEC. These guys face DT's and DE's who are among the best in the country. Holding them off a high percentage of the time is rarely done by anybody. Secondly, teams like Clemson last year regularly stack the box against good running teams. That makes pass protection and running very difficult with run/pass pressure and stunting. The coaches, QB, and run/pass crew have to make them pay by exploiting what they are given. When our QB prior to Shaw was here, they pressured him with run-blitz and a stacked box often, because he had such accuracy problems. Shaw often made them pay with QB runs and middle screens. If the QB is off, playcalling is bad, or linemen are worn down, the blame is often cast at the OL. It takes a whole team effort (plus coaches) to offset a defense aimed at stopping a team's best offensive weapon. That's why UNC, ECU, etc. used their speed/wide game against our DL that was too much for their OL without stunting or linebacker pressure. I contend that the dominating OL in SEC play is more perception than reality. Anything can be schemed against if it isn't countered.
You are probably right. However, Wisconsin was able to run on our DL last year. They seemed to lean into our guys at the right angles. They were just good. Maybe a good OL can be successful. Bielema is trying to prove it ... the stubborn fellow.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:51 PM   #32
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Quote:
You are probably right. However, Wisconsin was able to run on our DL last year. They seemed to lean into our guys at the right angles. They were just good. Maybe a good OL can be successful. Bielema is trying to prove it ... the stubborn fellow.
Wisconsin ran on everyone last year. Their average was about 260 yards per game. I might be a tad off on the average, but it was really good

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:25 PM   #33
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Interestingly, the Wisconsin coaches remarked after the game they were surprised we slowed their running game without stunting and altering our base defense which made it hard for them to use their limited passing plans. At half, our defense made some small change that tightened against the run some, but it was difficult to stop Wisconsin's run game last year. We did better at limiting points than yards, I believe. They got about 10 yds over their average on the ground, but about 100 under through the air, and we held them 10 points below their scoring average.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:28 PM   #34
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyboy View Post
Interestingly, the Wisconsin coaches remarked after the game they were surprised we slowed their running game without stunting and altering our base defense which made it hard for them to use their limited passing plans. At half, our defense made some small change that tightened against the run some, but it was difficult to stop Wisconsin's run game last year. We did better at limiting points than yards, I believe. They got about 10 yds over their average on the ground, but about 100 under through the air, and we held them 10 points below their scoring average.
That is one of the things I like about Ward. He and Johnson. He always has a second half wrinkle up his sleeve.