CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Coulwoodwarlord
LeeSC
SCohioBoy
taylorssc
lilhornet
cockybusiness2
gamecock88
beak2
WeStillOwnUSC
bigdog2003
Kentucky prediction (1326)
Mizzou's 30sec touch (1298)
Just Booked my Hotel (1120)
So What? (580)
Best position coach (493)
The New Idea That'll (360)
Travis Bell's Photos (340)
Serial Cat Killer Ca (257)
So What? (185)
Waldrop doubtful for (139)
4th & 1 Play
Kentucky prediction
Upstate Football Games Re
OSU Coach Takes Down Disr
Waldrop doubtful for Kent
400 pasing yards
Fall Practice
Best position coach or co
Optimism? Week 1-4 offens
RB Recruiting (2015 and 2

Old 08-21-2014, 05:51 PM   #141
markp_vip
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 6001866
markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material
Default Re: 2014-15 Premier League season

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECgamecock453 View Post
Sell the striker most likely to earn a ban to buy the striker second most likely to earn a ban.

Bold strategy.
Gotta take the good with the bad. In 7 years of top flight football the team he played on won has won 9 Trophies.
Serie A 3 times
Coppa Italia 1
Supercoppa Italia 1
Champions League 1
Premier League 1
FA Cup 1
Community Shield 1
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day.
markp_vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:16 PM   #142
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 575
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

So who's going to rush out and add Balotelli to their fantasy team?

It doesn't matter. I started off slow in our league but I'm going to crush the rest of you by the end of the season.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:18 PM   #143
SECgamecock453
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 15800
SECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPit
Send a message via AIM to SECgamecock453

Think I'm going to narrow my team selection to: Everton, Villa, Spurs, Newcastle, Swansea.. I really like what Swansea have done and hope they can stay up in the top flight and sustain their success. Was surprised to see they signed Federico Fernandez from Napoli (Argentine defender who played in the world cup). I'm also of Welsh descent along with my English/German and I love seeing a Welsh team in the BPL. But I also don't want a team that will get relegated any time soon and not sure Swansea can stay up.

SECgamecock453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 01:21 PM   #144
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

CockyCash: 415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
Don't listen to Nureye. Just watch the teams and maybe get to know fans through the team's respective subreddits. Nureye just has it out for Spurs. I'm a Tottenham fan and really like the fans and club history (and historical style of okay). Plus, I really like the current players and manager.

Don't listen to me all you want, but in England (especially London), Spurs are one of those teams that everyone hates. But don't take my word for it:

http://greatwen.com/2010/02/08/why-d...all-rivalries/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehg910Wz6jA

If I was to pick a team that was like Carolina, it would probably be Stoke. great fans. Pretty average history. Might make some noise in the league occasionally but will never win anything more than an FA Cup. It is really hard to compare the two things though.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:25 PM   #145
SECgamecock453
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

SECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nureye View Post
Don't listen to me all you want, but in England (especially London), Spurs are one of those teams that everyone hates. But don't take my word for it:

If I was to pick a team that was like Carolina, it would probably be Stoke. great fans. Pretty average history. Might make some noise in the league occasionally but will never win anything more than an FA Cup. It is really hard to compare the two things though.
The video doesn't convince me that everyone hates Spurs, that's just Arsenal fans hating on Spurs which makes sense since they are primary rivals. That's like if I saw a video of Clemson fans hating on USC fans and then you somehow tried to say everyone hates Carolina fans.

Anyways, still trying to figure out what team I want to support. Just can't do a Big 5 team. I know I've followed Man Utd for awhile but it just feels so wrong to do it. I am leaning towards Spurs... since I do want a team that can actually have a chance to win something. I like Swansea but doubt they can ever stay up in the BPL long enough. I also don't really like Arsenal fans, the ones I've seen in Columbia are okay but they just took over my bar (Cock N Bull on Rosewood) as their Columbia viewing party bar (official Columbia Gunners bar - going on Arsenal's website and all) so they will get really annoying really fast.

I've also been to the Charleston, SC Arsenal bar (Charsenal is what they call themselves and they go to My Father's Mustache in Mt Pleasant) and I follow them on FB and they seem like complete asses to everyone else. Almost like they don't want fans of other teams coming in there giving their business money.

Old 08-22-2014, 01:33 PM   #146
SECgamecock453
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

This is funny... and the girl is pretty cute

And I missed this at the CnB last Sat but the 4 or so Tottenham fans there were cracking up, they should sign this guy!

One more for good measure.. funny stuff

Old 08-22-2014, 01:44 PM   #147
SECgamecock453
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

I see a lot of similarities between USC and Spurs. First of all, and this goes without saying, but the Gamecock/cockerel. Then we both wear UnderArmour. Tottenham will sometimes wear an all white kit and they look just as badass in that as we do in ours. They also historically don't have the most flattering record against their rival (like us). I know they have 8 FA Cups but it's pretty neat to do the comparison.

Old 08-22-2014, 02:05 PM   #148
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Getting excited for tomorrow! Need to get those 3 points. #MarchOnSaints

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:06 PM   #149
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

I have a stupid question.. We play Millwall on Tuesday in the Capital One Cup .. can someone explain that to me?

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
Old 08-22-2014, 02:30 PM   #150
gamecockphan
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 2200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
I have a stupid question.. We play Millwall on Tuesday in the Capital One Cup .. can someone explain that to me?
It's like the FA Cup but with a lot less teams. Participants must be BPL teams or one of the members of The Football League. Unlike the FA though, the semifinals are a home and home series like Champions League.
gamecockphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:42 PM   #151
SECgamecock453
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

I hope Millwall get promoted this year and West Ham stay up. Oh boy wouldn't that be fun?

Old 08-22-2014, 03:01 PM   #152
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

CockyCash: 415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

Quote:
I hope Millwall get promoted this year and West Ham stay up. Oh boy wouldn't that be fun?
Ive been to a West Ham v Millwall match. It was fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post

There are two main Cups for the fully professional teams.

The League Cup (now known as the Capital One Cup and various other names in the past) and the FA Cup.

The FA Cup is open to any and all teams registered with the FA. From Man City on down to the local pub teams.

The League Cup is open only to the top 4 divisions of football (BPL, Championship, League 1&2)

The FA Cup is mush more prestigious. (Think NIT and NCAA basketball tournaments.) Both are "knockout" competitions. (Also, think NCAA tournament.)

The FA Cup starts in January for the big clubs, but the lower teams are playing round now.
Old 08-22-2014, 03:12 PM   #153
SR4-AJ1
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 9708333
SR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudly

Quote:

This would be very interesting. I am getting nervous for tomorrow. I hope we show more pride in playing these bigger teams this year. Everton not having Barkley helps us a good bit, but we have been looking like shite in real competitive games so far. If Özil is in the XI tomorrow I see us with a better chance than if Wilshire plays. I would stick with Chambers and Kos in the back. Chambers is looking like a steal from Southampton so far this season ( can't believe he is only 19). Anyways if there was any other team in the league I would have a soft spot for it would be Everton so here's to a good game!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-22-2014, 04:08 PM   #154
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 575
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

I know a lot of people here cheer for the Big 5 or like one of the up and coming teams/underdogs like Southampton.

However, this is a great read. Everton falls in between the big clubs and the up and coming clubs because they have some tradition. However, there may not be a better or nicer manager than Roberto Martinez. The man is a brilliant manager and likable guy. Makes me want to cheer for Everton.

Here's a great story on Martinez - http://www.espnfc.us/blog/espn-fc-un...to-his-success
Old 08-22-2014, 04:23 PM   #155
markp_vip
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscjeremynca View Post
I know a lot of people here cheer for the Big 5 or like one of the up and coming teams/underdogs like Southampton.

However, this is a great read. Everton falls in between the big clubs and the up and coming clubs because they have some tradition. However, there may not be a better or nicer manager than Roberto Martinez. The man is a brilliant manager and likable guy. Makes me want to cheer for Everton.

Here's a great story on Martinez - http://www.espnfc.us/blog/espn-fc-un...to-his-success
I really like him as well. He was in the running to become Liverpool's manager, but I think he wanted more control over transfer so FSG went with BR instead. Really couldn't go wrong with either one, two of the best up and coming managers in the game IMO. As far as Everton's history, they were the best team in the world for the first 8 years, but it's been down hill ever since.
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:52 PM   #156
myrtsmom
Recruit

Female

CockyCash: 500
myrtsmom has earned his spursmyrtsmom has earned his spursmyrtsmom has earned his spursmyrtsmom has earned his spursmyrtsmom has earned his spursmyrtsmom has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscjeremynca View Post

I really like Martinez as well. As a Liverpool fan, it's almost sacrilegious to pull for Everton, but because of him, I find myself cheering for them in games against ManU, MCFC, etc.........but only after we're clear of them points-wise for the PL and CL races.
myrtsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:50 PM   #157
markp_vip
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrtsmom View Post
I really like Martinez as well. As a Liverpool fan, it's almost sacrilegious to pull for Everton, but because of him, I find myself cheering for them in games against ManU, MCFC, etc.........but only after we're clear of them points-wise for the PL and CL races.
Yep, but I have to admit I was pulling for them in that game against City last year.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:56 PM   #158
Transmaniacon
Any Major Dude

Male

CockyCash: 500
Transmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nureye View Post

LOL! Stoke is the worst. Terrible fans, and Charlie Adam is a goon. I know plenty about Tottenham and don't need any help from gooners, thanks. Why don't you put a link for why Tottenham fans hate Arsenal as evidence of why everyone hates Arsenal? Or a link to Tigernet for proof that gamecocks are the worst? Of course, our rivals hate us! That doesn't add much to a conversation.

COYS!
Transmaniacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 01:53 PM   #159
gamecockphan
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 2200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material

Courtois was a beast today.
gamecockphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:31 PM   #160
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

Disappointing we couldn't get 3 points today. Had plenty of chances. Ugh.