CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
Gamecocks1137
U-Dub Gamecock
johnnyb
Cockhornleghorn
GamecockMomSC
2000grad
markymark550
Regalcock
ZenUSC
We Have to Pass (2099)
Rivalry Thoughts and (1526)
Spurrier weekly pres (1407)
This would be awesom (928)
How is Shaq Davidson (754)
McConaughey cast as (498)
Perspective on our g (485)
SEC referees? (339)
Defense and offense (336)
Black Friday Hard Co (278)
Coaching Carousel 2014/15
Currently 2nd in attendan
Interesting stat
Rivalry Thoughts and Pred
Why has there been 40 yea
We Have to Pass
SEC referees?
RG3 - Struggles Not Getti
2015 - Darius Slayton
College Football PSA (urg

Old 08-23-2014, 11:18 AM   #1
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material
Default SHOULD GAMECOCK PLAYERS BE OFFENDED BY AGGIE FAN ARROGANCE?

Texas high school football has been romanticized by numerous films. There is no doubt that the Texas high school football scene is important to the people of the Lone Star State. But has the romanticized version of their football gone to the Aggie fans heads, and given them a distorted view of how much of a recruiting advantage Texas college football teams have over others in the southeast? In advance of the Gamecocks opening game against A&M, I am postulating that the answer is yes.

Below, I am pasting up a typical comment made by Texas A&M fans posting South Carolina message boards:

Aggie fans argue that Texas football is bigger than life and that the players coming out of the preps there are better than other players because of their experience playing in Texas. Texas is a bigger state than South Carolina so there are more players in sheer numbers. But is the quality of player better per capita? The answer is no.

I did a very simple analysis of the number of NFL players by State. Here is my table. And a bar graph illustrating the findings.

The data suggest that a football player in the South Carolina prep system has a better chance to make the NFL than one in the Texas system. I imagine this will be very surprising to Aggie visitors. I doubt they will believe the data.

In any case, the disrespect for South Carolina high school football should give the crowd another reason to hate the Aggies, and the South Carolina players another thing to prove.

Sporting News Article With NFL Data
Old 08-23-2014, 11:26 AM   #2
romancock
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
romancock has hatched from the shell
Default Re: SHOULD GAMECOCK PLAYERS BE OFFENDED BY AGGIE FAN ARROGANCE?

Your odds are a wee bit off there, young man... I get your point, but you should pull out that calculator and try again to get it right.
romancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:54 AM   #3
Aggie96
Resident Aggie

Male

CockyCash: 200
Aggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudly

I think they should not be offended by the way. I think it says a lot about where those high school kids go play in college more than it does in high school. Texas is known nationwide for its high school football. We have high school stadiums that hold more than some Colleges. Some up towards 21k+ fans. Entire towns shut down on Friday nights to go watch their boys play. Texas high school kids are recruited all over the nation. While SC might put out a higher percentage of NFL player, where do the majority of those kids go play their college ball? In the SEC, or at Clemson I would imagine. We all know the SEC puts out a ton of great talent and those kids get developed very well in our conference. I know you guys don't like to hear it, but Clemson does a pretty good job of developing their kids too over the last few years as well. Texas kids however go play everywhere we have kids that go play from Portland Oregon to Portland Maine and everywhere in between.
2 of the top 10 ranked high schools this year are from Texas, 3 of the top 25 are from Texas and 4 of the top 50 are from guess where... Texas
SC doesn't have a school in the top 50 by the way.

Last year - Texas high schools finished with 2 in the top 10 (one was undefeated 2 years in a row and finished 2nd) and 4 in the top 50. SC did have 2 in the top 25 but none in the top 10

Maybe you should look at your stats from a College view instead of high school. You are skipping an entire layer and that means your stats are skewed. NFL players are not made in high school, they are made in college.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:35 PM   #4
Cockhornleghorn
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200700
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to Cockhornleghorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
Texas high school football has been romanticized by numerous films. There is no doubt that the Texas high school football scene is important to the people of the Lone Star State. But has the romanticized version of their football gone to the Aggie fans heads, and given them a distorted view of how much of a recruiting advantage Texas college football teams have over others in the southeast? In advance of the Gamecocks opening game against A&M, I am postulating that the answer is yes.

Below, I am pasting up a typical comment made by Texas A&M fans posting South Carolina message boards:

Aggie fans argue that Texas football is bigger than life and that the players coming out of the preps there are better than other players because of their experience playing in Texas. Texas is a bigger state than South Carolina so there are more players in sheer numbers. But is the quality of player better per capita? The answer is no.

I did a very simple analysis of the number of NFL players by State. Here is my table. And a bar graph illustrating the findings.

The data suggest that a football player in the South Carolina prep system has a better chance to make the NFL than one in the Texas system. I imagine this will be very surprising to Aggie visitors. I doubt they will believe the data.

In any case, the disrespect for South Carolina high school football should give the crowd another reason to hate the Aggies, and the South Carolina players another thing to prove.

Sporting News Article With NFL Data
Fail; time to take another statistics course.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:44 PM   #5
GA_Ag
Walk On

Male

GA_Ag has hatched from the shell

Guys, South Carolina has been romanticized in movies as well.

Movie: Friday Night Lights, Location: Texas
Movie: Varsity Blues, Location: Texas
Movie: Radio, Location: South Carolina

I'm only being sarcastic....

I don't think there was any disrespect to SC football intended. If Georgia is anything like SC, high school Football only slightly edges out baseball in terms of popularity. In Texas, it is all football. Besides, when you get to the 'elite' talent, I think it has more to do with population than any specific states program.

Do you think Clowney would only have prospered in SC and not if he had been born in GA and went to UGA?
GA_Ag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 12:49 PM   #6
SCGamecock90
Blue Chip

Male

SCGamecock90 rules the CockPitSCGamecock90 rules the CockPitSCGamecock90 rules the CockPitSCGamecock90 rules the CockPitSCGamecock90 rules the CockPitSCGamecock90 rules the CockPitSCGamecock90 rules the CockPitSCGamecock90 rules the CockPitSCGamecock90 rules the CockPitSCGamecock90 rules the CockPitSCGamecock90 rules the CockPit
Send a message via AIM to SCGamecock90

No. Thats just Texas.

Anyone that can say they have sat in a room with atleast 5 Texans will understand.
SCGamecock90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 01:04 PM   #7
AtlGAMECOCK
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
AtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to AtlGAMECOCK

I think it's just having state pride . Texans are very proud to be Texans and proud of their star it's plastered everywhere in Texas. I like the pride they have in their state.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:21 PM   #8
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

I don't think players should be offended - nor should fans. They are what they are. Some of them are the "Mr. T" of just about anything, but we've got our blowhards, too.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:10 PM   #9
Gamecockswag
Recruit

Male

Gamecockswag is learning to peckGamecockswag is learning to peck

Shouldn't be offended, should just make sure we teach em' they're wrong. We'll show them on game day.

Keep it classy
Gamecockswag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:15 PM   #10
BiscoCocky
Recruit

Male

BiscoCocky is making other chickens nervousBiscoCocky is making other chickens nervousBiscoCocky is making other chickens nervousBiscoCocky is making other chickens nervousBiscoCocky is making other chickens nervousBiscoCocky is making other chickens nervousBiscoCocky is making other chickens nervous

Why should they be offended, if anything most people usually don't give a f&@k about high school/high school football after it's over, except apparently texans.
BiscoCocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:20 PM   #11
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

CockyCash: 104965
JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie96 View Post
I think they should not be offended by the way. I think it says a lot about where those high school kids go play in college more than it does in high school. Texas is known nationwide for its high school football. We have high school stadiums that hold more than some Colleges. Some up towards 21k+ fans. Entire towns shut down on Friday nights to go watch their boys play. Texas high school kids are recruited all over the nation. While SC might put out a higher percentage of NFL player, where do the majority of those kids go play their college ball? In the SEC, or at Clemson I would imagine. We all know the SEC puts out a ton of great talent and those kids get developed very well in our conference. I know you guys don't like to hear it, but Clemson does a pretty good job of developing their kids too over the last few years as well. Texas kids however go play everywhere we have kids that go play from Portland Oregon to Portland Maine and everywhere in between.
2 of the top 10 ranked high schools this year are from Texas, 3 of the top 25 are from Texas and 4 of the top 50 are from guess where... Texas

Last year - Texas high schools finished with 2 in the top 10 (one was undefeated 2 years in a row and finished 2nd) and 4 in the top 50. SC did have 2 in the top 25 but none in the top 10

Maybe you should look at your stats from a College view instead of high school. You are skipping an entire layer and that means your stats are skewed. NFL players are not made in high school, they are made in college.
So, your high schools are great but your colleges suck?
Old 08-23-2014, 02:49 PM   #12
usc91ece
Recruit

Male

usc91ece is learning to peck

Who gives a crap about anybody's state of mind. Win the football game.
usc91ece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:53 PM   #13
Aggie96
Resident Aggie

Male

Aggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudly

This isn't about recruiting guy... It is about high school football programs... Stay on track here...
Old 08-23-2014, 03:07 PM   #14
Aggie96
Resident Aggie

Male

That's my point. The talent is spread out everywhere and even ends up in schools that suck... How many schools get the bulk of SC high school kids? 2? Maybe 3 or 4?
Our high school players have at least a half dozen FBS schools to choose from just in state, that doesn't count the ones that end up in Mobilehoma or Colorado too...

That was one of the huge benefits for us too by the way, kids want to play in the SEC and they want to stay home, now they can do both
Old 08-23-2014, 03:17 PM   #15
Spurrier_Superior_One
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 26397596
Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material

Quote:

Of the thousands and thousands of high schools in the US there is no absolute way to even begin to determine who is ranked where unless you create the nation's largest playoff of every single high school state champion from every division. The whole concept of nationally ranked high school football is absurd.
Spurrier_Superior_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 03:24 PM   #16
BiscoCocky
Recruit

Male

BiscoCocky is making other chickens nervousBiscoCocky is making other chickens nervousBiscoCocky is making other chickens nervousBiscoCocky is making other chickens nervousBiscoCocky is making other chickens nervousBiscoCocky is making other chickens nervousBiscoCocky is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
That's my point. The talent is spread out everywhere and even ends up in schools that suck... How many schools get the bulk of SC high school kids? 2? Maybe 3 or 4?
Our high school players have at least a half dozen FBS schools to choose from just in state, that doesn't count the ones that end up in Mobilehoma or Colorado too...

That was one of the huge benefits for us too by the way, kids want to play in the SEC and they want to stay home, now they can do both
I thought you said this thread wasn't about recruiting
BiscoCocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 04:01 PM   #17
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

This probably should have been started in Smack, since that's where it will end up.

The problem, as I see it, is that there are no two states in the nation quite like Texas and South Carolina. Both state's have an enormous amount of state pride, to the point where other states just don't get it. I've heard several out of staters ask about the Palmetto Crescent, and I always reply that if you're not from here it won't make any sense. Texas is the same way, that damn Lone Star is everywhere.

Get those two groups of people together and you're going to have trouble. I think both fan bases could do with being a little less touchy.

Of course, they started it.
Old 08-23-2014, 04:21 PM   #18
brat
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100500
brat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot material

No.
Old 08-23-2014, 04:29 PM   #19
Biocockanics
WMD

Male

CockyCash: 10260
Biocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot material

they shouldn't give two damns about the A&M fans.

we dont
Old 08-23-2014, 04:30 PM   #20
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1768234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

since when do players care what fans think?
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote